Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

Takei Criticizes JJ Movies, Praises Discovery

17 posts in this topic

Except that, arguably, only half the TOS movies ever had that element.

Except that, arguably, only half the TOS movies ever had that element.

^
Pretty much this.

The ST movies have never quite fared as well as the various ST series regarding social content.

I thought that ST Beyond at least sounded a message of hope and human co-operation, and what's that these days if not social commentary? 

It seems that some fans want the hammer dropped. "Are you ready for the message? Are you waiting for the message? Here it comes. Here comes THE MESSAGE."

You don't have to openly proselytize (as Trek often did) just to make a point.

It seems that some fans want the hammer dropped. "Are you ready for the message? Are you waiting for the message? Here it comes. Here comes THE MESSAGE."

^
And to be honest, in this day and age, do messages really need to be so deeply sugar-coated?  I think filmmakers and TV producers/writers today really don't have to tap dance around 'hot topic' issues quite as much anymore; not in this day and age. 

^
And to be honest, in this day and age, do messages really need to be so deeply sugar-coated?  I think filmmakers and TV producers/writers today really don't have to tap dance around 'hot topic' issues quite as much anymore; not in this day and age. 

With the caliber of writing prevalent in television today, with it often being as good as, if not better than what you'll find in cinemas, audiences today may well find the old Roddenberry template infantile by comparison.

Takei is probably still sore that they made a change to the Sulu character's orientation based on/inspired by George's real life orientation against his wishes. I don't fault him for lashing out against them now.

Well, I do. Have a problem with the producers, say so, (and he did) but don't slam the movies based on some standard that the TOS films only managed themselves on a 50/50 basis at best. (TMP, TVH and, arguably at least TUC)

#ShutupSulu

Kinda where I'm at.

Unless he can show me the deep dimensions in the likes of TFF or TSFS.

#ShutupSulu

Takei's certainly entitled to his opinion, but sometimes I think he (and many fans) tend to remember the previous ST movies with rose-tinted glasses.

giphy.gif :giggle:

Yes, the pre-Bad Robot ST movies were entertaining and there was some social content here and there (TUC, TVH), but it's not as if they were written by Leo Tolstoy and directed by Andrei Tarkovsky.  They were good popcorn movies, with a nice dash of smarts.   Yes, the Bad Robot movies are more glossy and often favor action over social content, but to me it's more a question of degree rather than a complete dumbing down of the ST movie franchise.    

And Star Trek Beyond is, to me, a nice cozy fit within the previous ST movie canon. 

Apparently Takei wasn't getting enough attention for his constant stream of memes on Facebook and Twitter, so he needed to get in the news somehow.

Apparently Takei wasn't getting enough attention for his constant stream of memes on Facebook and Twitter, so he needed to get in the news somehow.

No one has asked him what he feels about Shatner for 5 minutes.

I don't like to say this, but I think our beloved actors are suffering from a very deep sort of jealousy here. George Takei, Will Weathon, even LeVar Burton take time to criticize the new movies like they had never done anything strange with the franchise. As if Star Trek ware all something supernatural, like a religion cult or something.

Things change, they have to, or they will end up always fighting the same battles. :rolleyes: Star Trek is not a cult, it is a show, and a movie franchise, that has not always thrived from deep refletion and philosophy. TOS is a highlight in that aspect, as ALL episodes had at least one scene with Kirk kicking ass. Frankly(n) :rolleyes:, the only difference between most TOS episodes and the Kelvin Timeline is the fact that they have no effects. I mean, NU Trek is bad because it has lots of fighting and action. Yeah, because we all know ALL OF THIS...

fight5.jpg

fight2.jpg

kirk1.jpgkvh5.jpg

kahn-is-physically-and-mentally-more-pow

NEVER HAPPENED. Because... I guess the effects and coreography ware bad?

That's why Star Trek is mentioned as "boring". It is not because of it's deep reflections, but because the action is so old and cheap they can't take it seriously, but it IS THERE. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE.

And I have't even started with the space battles like in the "Doomsday Machine" or "The Ultimate Computer."

Edited by Garak the spy

It's not just the actors; it's a significant portion of fandom that feels that way. Bad Robot Trek is almost evil because it dares to have a little fun, and it dares to not be deep, forgetting that most of Star Trek wasn't deep. It just wasn't. For all the parallels to Vietnam in an episode, you have another with fuzzy spider things on strings. It's as if all they remember are the likes of "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield." and "That's what Star Trek should be." conveniently forgetting what it actually was.

And, for the likes of Takei, they wrap themselves in it like a false patriot wraps himself in the flag. And, let's be honest here, the likes of Takei has no special knowledge of Trek. He's never crafted it or influenced it. He was a glorified day player who now has 50 years of convention routine about what Trek is that he draws from.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0