GustavoLeao

The Power Rangers Are Back in New Trailer

Locutus   

Can't say I ever watched the show as a kid, although everyone around me did.  I watched a few episodes recently and have to admit I'm kinda curious to see what they do with it.  The original tv series was soooo cheesy though.

OMG I'AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *spins around in chair*

Really ??? I think the Power Rangers franchise and various TV Series (in which the producers used Japanese footage in the fighting scenes from Japanese sentai "superheroes" TV Series like Changeman) quite bad, but to be honest, I am interested in this big budget "reboot", so.......

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Really ??? I think the Power Rangers franchise and various TV Series (in which the producers used Japanese footage in the fighting scenes from Japanese sentai "superheroes" TV Series like Changeman) quite bad, but to be honest, I am interested in this big budget "reboot", so.......

Gus

^

Even though I'm not a Power Rangers' fan, I am an old-school Godzilla/'kaiju-eiga' (giant monster) movie fan, so I totally get C.Lovett's obsession.

In fact, this Tuesday, I'm super excited that my wife and I have tickets to see the new 2016 Godzilla movie "Shin Godzilla" (Japanese-made; first new Japanese G-movie in over12 years).

So yeah, C.Lovett's obsession makes perfect sense to me.  In fact, when I was a kid I used to love "Ultraman" and "Giant Robo" (the live-action series, not the anime), and those were as goofy as it gets. 

I also love GODZILLA and I am looking foward to the new Jpaanese movie. Heck, I even loved the last movie, GODZILLA FINAL WARS ! LOL

51R4R6T4TTL.jpg

Just watch the last 50th anniversary Ultraman movie, ULTRAMAN X and it was quite good too. (a team-up of the original Ultraman (Shin Hayata from the 1966 series), Ultraman Tiga and the new Ultraman, Ultraman X)

Gus

I also love GODZILLA and I am looking foward to the new Jpaanese movie. Heck, I even loved the last movie, GODZILLA FINAL WARS ! LOL

51R4R6T4TTL.jpg

Just watch the last 50th anniversary Ultraman movie, ULTRAMAN X and it was quite good too. (a team-up of the original Ultraman (Shin Hayata from the 1966 series), Ultraman Tiga and the new Ultraman, Ultraman X)

Gus

^
Wasn't too fond of "Final Wars" but I love all of the preceding Godzilla movies of that series (the Millennium series).  FW just let the ball drop a bit, I think.  It was overstuffed, a bit too hyper (the overacting of the lead alien guy was downright distracting), and it lacked the 'oomph' and  gravitas of the previous movies.   Also, the mutant humans storyline seemed to be a direct ripoff of X-Men.   It was entertaining I suppose, but more a nod to sillier '70s Godzilla movies.   I like my Godzilla movies to be a bit... weightier. 

But yes, I'm very much looking forward to seeing "Shin Godzilla" this Tuesday night.  :thumbup:

C.Lovett   

Gus

^

Even though I'm not a Power Rangers' fan, I am an old-school Godzilla/'kaiju-eiga' (giant monster) movie fan, so I totally get C.Lovett's obsession.

In fact, this Tuesday, I'm super excited that my wife and I have tickets to see the new 2016 Godzilla movie "Shin Godzilla" (Japanese-made; first new Japanese G-movie in over12 years).

So yeah, C.Lovett's obsession makes perfect sense to me.  In fact, when I was a kid I used to love "Ultraman" and "Giant Robo" (the live-action series, not the anime), and those were as goofy as it gets. 

Well I do love Toku, Super Sentai and all that other goofy Japanese stuff etc. but Power Rangers was my childhood (Still have my weapons and morphers) and I have been waiting so very long for a reboot movie!

Edited by C.Lovett

Gus

^

Well I do love Toku, Super Sentai and all that other goofy Japanese stuff etc. but Power Rangers was my childhood (Still have my weapons and morphers) and I have been waiting so very long for a reboot movie!

^
Hey, we ALL have that one thing we love that no one else understands.   
;)

kenman   

I loved Power Rangers as a kid, but as an adult I have seen bits and pieces and discovered the show does NOT hold up terribly well at all. Little interest in a reboot movie.  Mild interest in seeing the first 90s movie again with a group of friends and drinks to make fun of it. 

C.Lovett   

Gus

^

^
Hey, we ALL have that one thing we love that no one else understands.   
;)

Image result for hell yeah madea gif

(C.Lovett, this one is for you)

New POWER RANGERS Movie Website Launches With Updated Synopsis, Character Bios, & New Stills

Following the show-stopping trailer debut, the official Power Rangers movie site has gone live, debuting an updated synopsis, character bios, & new stills of Angel Grove's finest. Plus, we have confirmation on Goldar!

I've always thought of Power Rangers, as a kind of Transformers and Robotech crossover. They have mech suits, ala Iron Man and Ultraman and G Foce (Battle of the Planets), and the mechs looked like Votron. 

The Japanese idea of having a hero team with certain powers was also present in earlier 1980s material mentioned on the web site as inspiration, but also Voltron should probably be there as well, Power Rangers and Voltron are clearly from Super Sentai. Robotech is from Macross. G Force is from Gatchaman, and Transformers is from Diaclone.

Power Rangers took what appeared to be a 1990s rip off of Voltron, Robotech and Transformers, and made it into something far larger. They had multiple series before Transformers did. They got bought out by Disney and rebranded for some years, which h kept them alive.  

Also there is clearly a nod to Ninja Turtles, 1980s comics that are still active. They are ninjas with colored parts on their outfits and cheesy villains.

Rita Repulsa was a crack up, mostly because of her eerie resemblance to my old martial arts master, who liked wearing outlandish clothing and shouting. Ha. Needless to say, she did not appreciate seeing Power Rangers playing on TV in the do jang! Ha. Ninja Turtles was okay.

This had no bearing on the show obviously, as if there was one non fan, there were many fans, mostly children that never knew much about Transformers and the other shows.

The 'classic toys' don't sell like Transformers or Voltron or Macross at toy cons. The original Megazord is somewhat hard to get, but not as praised as say a classic Macross battle fortress, or even a reissue Veritech from the 2002 merch spin off.

Also Megazord is play on Megalord, the name of the Super Dimension Fortress in Macross, although in their case much smaller. The Macross was miles long.

The original didn't have any girls in it, from the old Super Sentai footage, which is why there is no pink ranger, and the yellow ranger is clearly a guy. The pink one was added later.

The fascinating where are they now on some of the original 1992 American cast is kind of tragic.

Transformers will always outrank Power Rangers in my list, but it is there somewhere between Voltron and G Force.

I think the new movie has a Fantastic 4 vibe to it, and I hope it isn't. I want to actually see them use the suits and the megazord. If they show him in the last 15 minutes it will be annoying.

The original creators might not have a same toy people as the Disney people did. It came out of nowhere they were making another. If it was Disney,. I would have known about it a year ago.

I have not been able to find the Netflix Voltron reboot.

Power Rangers 2017 also has a Chronicle vibe. Hopefully it is not full of tormented angst. The original was lighthearted and fun, although over the top. You did not feel as though the villains could actually do any damage to them, and their lives were not tormented.

Edited by Chimera82405

I only know of Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets) and first time I saw Power Rangers I thought they were a ripoff of that (both use bracelets to transform, each costume is form of animal/bird, each has own vehicle that join together to make one, group of teens strangely recruited). They even ripped of BOTP 7-Zark-7 with Alpha. 

I was a big fan of BOTP when a toddler and imagine my surprise when I finally watched the original Gatchaman version a few years ago. Like night and day difference. I'd still like to see the live action movie they did 15 or so years ago. Weren't they supposed to do a new version of the cartoon as well?

Did you ever saw the GATCHAMAN live action Japanese movie ? Its too good to be true, very good adaptation of the original anime. I loved it as much as I loved the live action YAMATO movie !

s-l500.jpg

You can find this one on eBay - go for it.

Gus

Yep, the Yamato movie was awesome. They really nailed the look of the Yamato movies and the cartoons, especially the first movie cartoon. It seemed a combination of Be Forever Yamato and Final Yamato.

Power Rangers seems to hail from the same source as G force/Gatchaman/Battle of the planets...and Voltron, Super Sentai Sayan, super team force anime, cartoons, manga, etc.

Also it is a bit like Macross/Robotech, which had giant robots powered by special people also, and a love triangle element, and music. 

Nothing new, they just recut it so it looks different.

It's being almost confirmed that Rita was the original Green Ranger (she has the green wristband thing in her scepter). Hope we get another trailer before long showing more of her and finally seeing Cranston as Zordon.

kenman   

The Power Rangers are specifically geared to 10 year olds. This looks like it is trying to appeal only to grown up man children who watched the show whem they were seven but need it to be dark and gritty to justify their continued interest in a product that was made to appeal to 10 year olds. 

The Power Rangers are specifically geared to 10 year olds. This looks like it is trying to appeal only to grown up man children who watched the show whem they were seven but need it to be dark and gritty to justify their continued interest in a product that was made to appeal to 10 year olds. 

This. And it's not working with me. That second trailer is even more awful than the first. I'll stick to watching my old original Power Rangers series DVDs when I'm in the mood for some childhood nostalgia.