Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

Chris Pine Talks STAR TREK 4

43 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Geee, I think Zoe Saldana will be really busy for a few years.......I dunno

The Next Four AVATAR Movies Have Release Dates (Again)

Believe it or not, Avatar was released EIGHT years ago and after countless stops and starts, the next four instalments of the franchise have been given release dates
Edited by GustavoLeao

21 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Geee, I think Zoe Saldana will be really busy for a few years.......I dunno

The Next Four AVATAR Movies Have Release Dates (Again)

Believe it or not, Avatar was released EIGHT years ago and after countless stops and starts, the next four instalments of the franchise have been given release dates

Four??  Is there really THAT much story?  Now, I say this as someone who actually enjoyed Avatar; I saw it as a novelty cinematic IMAX experience, rather than as a normal linear movie/story, and I appreciated it on that level.  However, milking it for FOUR sequels is a bit much.  I mean, come on.  Maybe a sequel or two for a nice neat trilogy, but four?  That's just bananas...

Collider posted a  great article on how the AVATAR sequels will fit in the current sci-fi movie franchises

Considering the ninth Star Wars film in the Skywalker saga will be coming out in 2019, this gives Cameron some open room to build the franchise back up after such a long time away. There will, of course, still be Marvel and DC to contend with but in terms of big-label sci-fi franchises, Avatar will likely have an open marketplace, even more so if the fourth Star Trek film of the new franchise is a ways off.

We're in danger of making this an Avatar thread...:P

Anyway, it's a good thing that Chris Pine won't be in any of those. ;) :giggle:

Pine will be busy making WONDER WOMAN movies for the next decade,

Who knows, maybe he can pull an AGENT CARTER and have his own Captain Steve Trevor TV Series ! LOL

Gus

I strongly suspect WW goes nowhere and does nothing.

And, you laugh, but if you put a team together that would give the character of Steve Trevor the same care, attention, and genuine love that Peggy Carter got over those two seasons, I'd be there even if I DIDN'T like Pine.

34 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I strongly suspect WW goes nowhere and does nothing.

And, you laugh, but if you put a team together that would give the character of Steve Trevor the same care, attention, and genuine love that Peggy Carter got over those two seasons, I'd be there even if I DIDN'T like Pine.

^
Yep.

Peggy Carter seemed like she was meant to be Capt. America's tough-as-nails-but-ultimately-just- arm candy, yet given the opportunity and the right showcase (her TV show, which I still miss), she stood on her own to the point where I almost forgot that she was even connected to Captain America.   I loved her and her show on their own merits.

Chris Pine could easily take the movie away from Gal Gadot if she proves to be less effective as a lead.   

2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
Yep.

Peggy Carter seemed like she was meant to be Capt. America's tough-as-nails-but-ultimately-just- arm candy, yet given the opportunity and the right showcase (her TV show, which I still miss), she stood on her own to the point where I almost forgot that she was even connected to Captain America.   I loved her and her show on their own merits.

Chris Pine could easily take the movie away from Gal Gadot if she proves to be less effective as a lead.   

I'd call it one of the most under-appreciated shows of the decade. It was crafted as opposed to made. In a righteous universe it would have simply replaced the vastly inferior SHIELD.

And I think the WW film's success will be entirely dependent upon whether or not they give Gadot any meat to start with. She's untested on that front in a lot of ways in her movie career, so I can't say if she could handle it yet or not, but I do know that the whole thing is a lost cause if all DC does is what DC does: "See, we have comic stuff on screen just like those other guys."

Maybe she couldn't rise to meet the challenge of a hefty script, but I truly doubt they give her anything to begin with but, "Come watch me play '300' while stuff e'splodes."

Then again, who knows? Suicide Squad was pretty much as empty as a screenplay could be and it made bank hand over fist.

She could prove me wrong, but I just think the casting was uninspired when that's half the battle in elevating material. I have no problems with McAvoy and he does a solid job, but Patrick Stewart will never be met, much less surpassed as Xavier.

McKellan was stellar as Magneto and you'll not find a better actor to play the younger version than Fassbender.

And I sincerely feel sorry for the actor that has to follow in Jackman's footsteps as Wolverine.

So...I guess to sum up...lots of doubts about this thing.

Posted (edited)

We all have fallen in love with Agent Peggy Carter......

And lets see what Pine can do with Steve Trevor, maybe making him more heroic and funny than his Kirk. But yeah, I do think WONDER WOMAN will not go well at the box office.................who knows ?

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Well, not the place I expected to run into some fellow lovers of Peggy Carter, but always happy to see I'm not alone!

I'm hopeful for "STAR TREK 4" and I think the inclusion of Hemsworth is a signal that we're moving beyond just trying to come up with cool villains, as I felt the previous two movies tried to do, and was a part of their story issues. The casual audience loves a good villain, but a Star Trek film needs to be more than that.... I mean, assuming George Kirk isn't going to be assimilated into the Borg or something...

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, JVM said:

I mean, assuming George Kirk isn't going to be assimilated into the Borg or something...

What do you want to bet this is what they go with?  Odds might be low, but it is not out of the question.  After all, he died crashing into a ship enhanced by Borg nanoprobes.  Maybe he'll be the new Locutus to demoralize James Kirk, the Captain of the flagship and bring the Federation to its knees.

Edited by Locutus

14 hours ago, Locutus said:

What do you want to bet this is what they go with?  Odds might be low, but it is not out of the question.  After all, he died crashing into a ship enhanced by Borg nanoprobes.  Maybe he'll be the new Locutus to demoralize James Kirk, the Captain of the flagship and bring the Federation to its knees.

When you put it like that, it sounds like a pretty intense plotline! It'd certainly be a break from trying to create the next vengeance-driven barbarian, and using George would probably add a lot of emotion to the plot - sort of like what STID wanted to do with the Marcuses but never quite panned out.

(Speaking of which, I wonder if the door's closed on Carol coming back?)

I don't think they will introduce the Borg. It would be too fan fic like. They will want to appeal even more to the hyper kinetic action crowd. Also how are they going to even include George Kirk? Time travel? Mirror? The last would be fan fic fodder also. The buzz at the latest con I attended, the presenters said nothing about that, although a fan did ask about the Borg, but in another context entirely. He was plugging his fan story apparently. The actors were not able to help him as they were not writers. Oh well.

They already introduced the Borg in the recent STAR TREK BOLDY GO comic books from IDW.

Gus

2 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

They already introduced the Borg in the recent STAR TREK BOLDY GO comic books from IDW.

Gus

True, but that still leaves a door open for "Mirror-George Kirk."  If they make the movie at all... 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

True, but that still leaves a door open for "Mirror-George Kirk."  If they make the movie at all... 

I don't think they will go the Mirror universe route.  I mean, a parallel universe within a parallel universe.  It is too convoluted for the general movie-going audience.  

To revisit the Borg also seems unlikely as it would be slammed for unoriginality.  Of the two, however, the Borg seem more likely.  The comic book encounter was KT's "Q Who" experience.  There first taste and now they know they are coming.  In that way, the comic books could be a lead-in.  First Contact or "the Borg movie" is one if the most successful and recognizable Trek movies (and villain).

I think the aforementioned Locutus plot with George Kirk would be interesting, especially if in the end, James T. Kirk might have to kill him. 

Edited by Locutus

Posted (edited)

They already did the JJ Trek version of the Mirror Universe in the comic books too, with Zachary Quinto with a  beard and so forth,

Of course, since Roberto Orci quit Trek,  there is a confusion if the IDW JJ Trek comics are still canon or not.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0