John32070

Should a CGI Arex replace Chekov in next movie?

35 posts in this topic

Understood, but wasn't Farscape in the late 1990s?  I would think with a normal Star Trek budget, and over 15 years of advancement, they could really pull it off, even if it's a combo of CGI and puppetry. 

If there's one thing Star Trek can do, it's effects.  If they want Arex, I think they could make it happen.

^
But the question is worth; is it really worth the time, money and R&D (figuring out tripedal movement with actors in suits/puppets/CGI, etc) just to resurrect a character that only a handful of ST fans (myself included) even remember?  

I actually think it might be.  Even in a small role, we've seen them put in some effort to show aliens we hadn't seen before in mere background shots.  And of course there's Scotty's Ewok friend.

A character like that is someone that you don't need to know to make an appearance.  To the non-fan, he's a cool alien on the bridge, and to the diehard, it's "that's pretty cool it's Arex."

I wouldn't make Arex the star of the movie by any stretch, but yeah, I think it would be a cool decision.  One of those--"hey, we went the extra mile" things.

I actually think it might be.  Even in a small role, we've seen them put in some effort to show aliens we hadn't seen before in mere background shots.  And of course there's Scotty's Ewok friend.

A character like that is someone that you don't need to know to make an appearance.  To the non-fan, he's a cool alien on the bridge, and to the diehard, it's "that's pretty cool it's Arex."

I wouldn't make Arex the star of the movie by any stretch, but yeah, I think it would be a cool decision.  One of those--"hey, we went the extra mile" things.

^
So, on the one hand he's just a nondescript alien (one among many) and on the other, he's just fan-service.   I still don't see this as worth the effort.  If you're going to put in all the R&D of a tripedal, multi-armed character, it should be for something more than a fan-service blink-and-you'll-miss-him moment. 

Again, even the animators of TAS couldn't figure out how to make him move; that's an even taller order for real-world prosthetics.  

Yes, as a fan it'd give me a smile to see Arex (or even a member of his race) at the navigation station, as I always enjoy little nods to TAS (only if and when they're appropriate), but for the movie's sake I'd rather see Jaylah in that position, as she  was a much more compelling character than Arex ever was.   Using Arex instead of Jaylah would be a missed opportunity. 

There could still be a fleeting shot in a background of Arex' race; such a fleeting shot wouldn't require months of costly R&D on suits/prosthetics or CGI movement, and it would sate the fan service.   Having Arex on the bridge would eat right through a healthy budget (even in the previous Bad Robot ST movies, the more complex alien characters were seen in quick, non-lingering shots). 

Understood, but wasn't Farscape in the late 1990s?  I would think with a normal Star Trek budget, and over 15 years of advancement, they could really pull it off, even if it's a combo of CGI and puppetry. 

If there's one thing Star Trek can do, it's effects.  If they want Arex, I think they could make it happen.

^
But the question is worth; is it really worth the time, money and R&D (figuring out tripedal movement with actors in suits/puppets/CGI, etc) just to resurrect a character that only a handful of ST fans (myself included) even remember?  

No. There's no benefit at all. It's actually pretty trite fanservice. And, honestly, to make it worth it cost-wise he'd have to get some major screen time, probably at the expense of both, other characters and the story. (We spent $8M on this thing, cut some plot so we can see him fumble around drunk in the bar scene. That'll be hilarious.) No.

Otherwise it's just CGI guy with a few lines that basically just sits there. 

There is absolutely zero point in that case.

The "extra mile" has to get you something. This doesn't.

Yes, as a fan it'd give me a smile to see Arex (or even a member of his race) at the navigation station, as I always enjoy little nods to TAS (only if and when they're appropriate), but for the movie's sake I'd rather see Jaylah in that position, as she  was a much more compelling character than Arex ever was.  

My first choice. It's almost as if the script was written so as to add her to the crew in the first place. I know it wasn't, but, by the end and the years before the sequel, she could just slide right in. She's already been there and on adventures with them so it's not this glaring. "Here's this gimmick/stranger as your Chekov replacement. Enjoy." 

Edited by prometheus59650

Don't replace the character, the bridge is already crowded. Just give more lines to the other characters. Also, I don't want Jaylah back.

I'm fine with leaving the post empty aside from a seat-filler, too, but if they are going to put a character there, Jaylah works best, already being established.

I don't think we ever did see Arex moving/walking. I think there is only once we see him actually standing. That would be a challenge to figure out how to make a tri-ped walk.

As to the fan service comments, we did see Caitians from TAS realized in the courtroom scenes of ST4. Though to be honest, we don't know if Nimoy or the costume/makeup people were actually thinking of the Caitians themselves.

It's not that hard. In my head I can see how a tri-ped might walk...maybe thinner, more spindly forelegs with a stronger, more muscular middle leg for balance at slow speeds and pushing off during running.

I still don't need to see them wasting money on a film that will probably have a $20M or so trimmed budget wasting a dime on Arex. 

I don't think we ever did see Arex moving/walking. I think there is only once we see him actually standing. That would be a challenge to figure out how to make a tri-ped walk.

No, we never did.  I'm a longtime fan of TAS and there is not a single moment of Arex walking.  The animators never figured it out, according to the box set bonus features.  

Just leave the chair vacant. Not physically of course but TNG managed without making helm a major character (Wesley aside) for much of the run, TOS had episodes minus Chekov or Sulu and TWOK...and ENT could've done without it quite easily.