John32070

Should a CGI Arex replace Chekov in next movie?

kc1966   

Funny but when I saw the topic I thought of Jar Jar.  Honestly I would prefer them use a character already established - Carol Marcus or Jaylah or even Mr. Cupcake.  Barring that I would go for Arex or a recasting of Chekov (which won't happen due to Mr. Abrams opposition and the opposition by a segment of fandom). The one thing I wouldn't want is a totally new character.  They would have to introduce the new character and take time  for that.  I would prefer just an extra sitting a the position with no lines than that.

Locutus   

Funny but when I saw the topic I thought of Jar Jar.  Honestly I would prefer them use a character already established - Carol Marcus or Jaylah or even Mr. Cupcake.  Barring that I would go for Arex or a recasting of Chekov (which won't happen due to Mr. Abrams opposition and the opposition by a segment of fandom). The one thing I wouldn't want is a totally new character.  They would have to introduce the new character and take time  for that.  I would prefer just an extra sitting a the position with no lines than that.

I think Jaylah is the most logical choice.  She was well received, and I really enjoyed her in Beyond.  Plus, they make clear she's headed to Starfleet Academy.  She could be navigator, or she could even take on Chekov's more security/tactical officer role that he had in The Motion Picture.  They may have to speed her through the Academy (not that unusual in JJ-verse though).  Or maybe the next film takes another little leap forward in time.

I think Jaylah is the most logical choice.  She was well received, and I really enjoyed her in Beyond.  Plus, they make clear she's headed to Starfleet Academy.  She could be navigator, or she could even take on Chekov's more security/tactical officer role that he had in The Motion Picture.  They may have to speed her through the Academy (not that unusual in JJ-verse though).  Or maybe the next film takes another little leap forward in time.

If Wesley can essentially function as a crewman while still going to school, no reason for Jaylah not to do the same. Could be as simple as Kirk wanting a familiar face. Maybe she's having trouble fitting in at the academy. There are lots of reasons that make sense to include her.  

scenario   

It could be like student teaching. She goes to the academy for a year and then a three month cruise sitting with the real navigator to get experience. Then she returns to the academy to finish her training. The real navigator gets hurt early in the film and she takes over the spot for the rest of the movie. 

Jaylah seems the most obvious and logical option to me. She's an appealing character in her own right and not simply a replacement for Chekhov (which is what Arex was originally conceived as). I'd like to see more of her.

Arex would be fan service writ large, and while it might be fun to see him as a background character or something, I personally am not big on CGI creations taking center-stage in live action movies. I guess Maz Kanata from The Force Awakens and Gollum from Lord of the Rings (or almost any character created by Andy Serkis) prove that as supporting characters it can work, but, where Star Trek is concerned, I doubt a CGI character could supply the charm Anton Yelchin did or Sofia Boutella could.

Edited by Robin Bland

Jaylah seems the most obvious and logical option to me. She's an appealing character in her own right and not simply a replacement for Chekhov (which is what Arex was originally conceived as). I'd like to see more of her.

Arex would be fan service writ large, and while it might be fun to see him as a background character or something, I personally am not big on CGI creations taking center-stage in live action movies. I guess Maz Kanata from The Force Awakens and Gollum from Lord of the Rings (or almost any character created by Andy Serkis) prove that as supporting characters it can work, but, where Star Trek is concerned, I doubt a CGI character could supply the charm Anton Yelchin did or Sofia Boutella could.

Utterly agree on all of that. Jaylah already has her opening there, and she's liked.

And Serkis is a genius in his own right. But there's zero reason to add a CGI character to the mix.

Locutus   

Utterly agree on all of that. Jaylah already has her opening there, and she's liked.

And Serkis is a genius in his own right. But there's zero reason to add a CGI character to the mix.

Also, the CGI aliens in Beyond did not inspire confidence.  Those CGI dog-aliens at the start of Beyond were pretty shabby in my opinion.  While I did enjoy the scene, I thought the rendering was not great.  Perhaps it wasn't a motion capture, so not as great.  Can't say I understand the technical aspects.  At any rate, not so confident they could pull off a fully CGI character in the next one, especially since the budget is likely to be smaller than Beyond.

No.

Too expensive for a film that needs to trip up a bit for profitability. Besides, I'd rather they brought in an original character.

^
I'm a fan of TAS, and I agree; he is beloved only to fans of TAS (like myself) and too obscure to warrant the expense.   And yes, I prefer an original character as well; occasionally it's nice to add new characters to the familiar mix (like Jaylah, Saavik, Gillian Taylor, etc).

kc1966   

No.

Too expensive for a film that needs to trip up a bit for profitability. Besides, I'd rather they brought in an original character.

^
I'm a fan of TAS, and I agree; he is beloved only to fans of TAS (like myself) and too obscure to warrant the expense.   And yes, I prefer an original character as well; occasionally it's nice to add new characters to the familiar mix (like Jaylah, Saavik, Gillian Taylor, etc).

If by original you mean Jaylah, I agree.  If you mean a totally new character I disagree.  It would be better just to have a non-speaking actor in the navigator's seat if scenes involve the bridge.  It's not like TOS had a regular navigator until they created the character of Chekov in the second season. 

maneth   

Jaylah seems the most logical choice to me. I really liked her in Beyond, and I think including her would IMO be the most respectful way to deal with the loss of Anton Yelchin.

Jaylah seems the most logical choice to me. I really liked her in Beyond, and I think including her would IMO be the most respectful way to deal with the loss of Anton Yelchin.

With her character going to the Academy at the end of STB, and with the gap between movies?  She could easily appear on the new Enterprise as a newly minted ensign.  Or given her aptitude, perhaps a lieutenant, like Saavik.   Maybe Kirk wasn't the only one to skip a few steps... ;)

This.

With her character going to the Academy at the end of STB, and with the gap between movies?  She could easily appear on the new Enterprise as a newly minted ensign.  Or given her aptitude, perhaps a lieutenant, like Saavik.   Maybe Kirk wasn't the only one to skip a few steps... ;)

And this.

He breezed the academy in 3 years, no reason she can't.

No CGI please, I don't like what CGI can do chracter wise these days. It just doesn't look good. The small aliens at the start of the movie did not look good, as it is with mostly all CGI characters, even in the force awakens there was somethings that ware strange at least. I would rather have Jaylah too. I really liked the character and I think she deserves more. 

Could they do a decent version of Arex without CGI? 

No.

They couldn't even do a convincing tri-pedal creature in 2D cell animation, let alone live-action.   That was one of the reasons he never walked; the animators of the show couldn't figure out how he walked.   If you watch TAS Arex never walks from his station.  

True story; it was in the bonus content of the DVD set. 

No CGI please, I don't like what CGI can do chracter wise these days. It just doesn't look good. The small aliens at the start of the movie did not look good, as it is with mostly all CGI characters, even in the force awakens there was somethings that ware strange at least. I would rather have Jaylah too. I really liked the character and I think she deserves more. 

I dunno. I think they COULD make it look good, but to do that would be insanely expensive, like, cost of hiring several actual actors expensive. It just isn't at all worth it. 

scenario   

I'm guessing a lot of us on this board are fans of Farscape.  The puppet technology they used on Rygel made you quickly forget it was a puppet.

They were excellent but all of the puppet characters were sedentary. Whenever you see Rygel moving around he is in his transport vehicle. 

Understood, but wasn't Farscape in the late 1990s?  I would think with a normal Star Trek budget, and over 15 years of advancement, they could really pull it off, even if it's a combo of CGI and puppetry. 

If there's one thing Star Trek can do, it's effects.  If they want Arex, I think they could make it happen.