Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maltz

Could Tasha Yar still be alive?

11 posts in this topic

I'm aware that in "Redemption part 2", Sela tells Picard that her mother is dead, having been executed when she tried to escape with Sela from Sela's father. But could it be that Sela is twisting the facts here? I'm wondering if, rather than literally being executed, Tasha was actually banished to some pit on the far side of the Romulan Empire; she's "dead" in her daughter's eyes because she betrayed her father and she wants nothing more to ever do with her. Assuming Tasha was still out there somewhere, what are the chances she could one day find her way home?

With Seela, you never know. :) She was brought up to lie to protect herself, wasn't she?

I also wonder if she told Picard her mother was dead because she didn't want him to go looking for Tasha.

Then again, if Tasha was not killed, she would have been imprisoned somewhere for about three decades by the time of Nemesis. She was 29 when she went back in time to 2344, so she would be in her sixties. Could she survive that long on a penal colony?

Edited by Maltz

I'm guessing Tasha is dead, only because the writers clearly wanted us to believe that.   There were no 'seeds of doubt' sown in that storyline (other than Sela being untrustworthy).   If we saw Sela flinch or smirk when she said her mother was dead, I would accept that she may be lying.   But she stared Picard right in the eye.  I'm guessing she was telling the truth.  

redemptiontwo153.jpg

And why would she 'protect' a mother she later despised?  Makes no sense, really.  It also doesn't fit Sela's own personal narrative when she says that "everything that was still human in (her) died that day" when her mother was executed.   It lacks dramatic weight if that was just a lie. 

When a character lies in a movie or TV show, there is usually some kind of tipoff to the audience; intentional or not.   I remember when Luke asked Obi wan "how did my father die?" in SW77, and Ben looks away from Luke and down at the floor for a moment, as if the question caught him off guard.  I know that Sir Alec Guinness had no foreknowledge that Kenobi was being deceitful, but he kind of played it that way IMO.   Or at least that the question was a painful subject for Kenobi, but it could also be interpreted that Ben deliberately lied in that scene. 

I got nothing of that with Sela on the subject of her mother.

Sela may not have known or believed it herself. 

Tasha is alive... In the Kelvin timeline maybe? 

Or was she even born in the KT?  

Many events in Star Trek's chronology after 2233 are up in the air now.   

I dunno, I think it's too much to say the destruction of one ship and the death f two people ( George Kirk and his CO ) could change the relations from other people 80 years later, as Q said to Picard on "Tapestry", when he claimed Q would change the timeline: "Please, spare me your egotistical musings on your pivotal role in history. Nothing you do here will cause the Federation to collapse or galaxies to explode. To be blunt, you're not that important."

Edited by Garak the spy

I dunno, I think it's too much to say the destruction of one ship and the death f two people ( George Kirk and his CO ) could change the relations from other people 80 years later, as Q said to Picard on "Tapestry", when he claimed Q would change the timeline: "Please, spare me your egotistical musings on your pivotal role in history. Nothing you do here will cause the Federation to collapse or galaxies to explode. To be blunt, you're not that important."

Yes, but it was like ripples in a pond; the destruction of the Kelvins brought Romulans into the picture 30 years before TOS' "Balance of Terror" and judging by the Starfleet's more advanced tech in the KT, I'm guessing that the loss of that ship escalated an arms race, as well as a technological renaissance.  We see the Kelvin archive in STID (a front for Section 31) and we see single person "Kelvin pods" on the new Enterprise, so obviously there were many ripple effects throughout the Federation (not to mention the catastrophic loss of one of its core planets; that was profound). 

And all the thousands on starships who were destroyed by Nero's ship in Vulcan orbit; that had to have HUGE ripple effects to the 24th century and beyond.   Potentially thousands of Starfleet officers killed; who knows how many of their progeny were important in the original timeline's 24th century?  

It's very possible that most of the TNG, DS9 and VGR characters' histories were completely undone in the KT, or if any of them were still born?  I'm guessing that their lives were, at least, massively rewritten.   

Yes, but it was like ripples in a pond; the destruction of the Kelvins brought Romulans into the picture 30 years before TOS' "Balance of Terror" and judging by the Starfleet's more advanced tech in the KT, I'm guessing that the loss of that ship escalated an arms race, as well as a technological renaissance.  We see the Kelvin archive in STID (a front for Section 31) and we see single person "Kelvin pods" on the new Enterprise, so obviously there were many ripple effects throughout the Federation (not to mention the catastrophic loss of one of its core planets; that was profound). 

And all the thousands on starships who were destroyed by Nero's ship in Vulcan orbit; that had to have HUGE ripple effects to the 24th century and beyond.   Potentially thousands of Starfleet officers killed; who knows how many of their progeny were important in the original timeline's 24th century?  

It's very possible that most of the TNG, DS9 and VGR characters' histories were completely undone in the KT, or if any of them were still born?  I'm guessing that their lives were, at least, massively rewritten.   

I forgot about the ships destroyed on the battle on Vulcan, you are right. Good point.

I forgot about the ships destroyed on the battle on Vulcan, you are right. Good point.

Even if those ships were minimally staffed, that's still hundreds (if not low thousands) of crewmen lost.   That's going to ripple like hell all over the place...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0