Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

FADE IN: THE MAKING OF STAR TREK: INSURRECTION

FADE IN: THE MAKING OF STAR TREK: INSURRECTION -- A Textbook on Screenwriting the never published book from late Star Trek writer/producer Michael Piller will finally be published in the US. Piller wrote the book years before, and some fans found copies of it online, but it was never officially published... until now. The book takes readers behind the scenes of Insurrection's evolution and production, with Piller detailing the changes made to the script as the film came to life. - See more at:

Edited by GustavoLeao

The original version of INS (from what I've read from more than one source) would've been SO much better than the watered-down pablum we saw in 1998. 

I don't know if I'd want to heap major cash on anything relating to my least favorite ST movie of them all, but for reading more about the movie-that-almost-was (and for having concrete evidence of its almost-existence), it might be worth it. 

$95 ???? Thank God I have a digital copy of this excellent book. Way too mcu money.

I agree. 

I remember they were selling them at the Vegas convention (a pre-order signup) for (I think it was) $79.99 (?).  But even then, I just plunked down $70 for all 3 of Marc Cushman's "These Are The Voyages..." books at the same convention (and he autographed each one).    So even that discounted price put me off. 

I've read it. It's a great "making of" book, and it's especially interesting because it shows the compromises that led to what I think is probably the worst Trek movie. Piller's very honest in it - and it does allow the reader to draw their own conclusions. 

But I wouldn't pay 95 bucks for it! I guess some of the money must be going to charity...? 

Locutus   

I've read it. It's a great "making of" book, and it's especially interesting because it shows the compromises that led to what I think is probably the worst Trek movie. Piller's very honest in it - and it does allow the reader to draw their own conclusions. 

But I wouldn't pay 95 bucks for it! I guess some of the money must be going to charity...? 

For such a niche book, I'm not shocked by the cost.  The fewer copies you print, the higher the cost per book.  They can't risk a high print volume because they won't sell enough books, so they choose a low print volume and higher price point.  Probably why the book was never published in the first place, unmarketable really.  As much as I am curious about the behind the scenes from Piller, I'm not shelling out $95!

Edited by Locutus

A lot of it boils down to, "Stewart wanted to lighten up and have a fun little romp."

^
I know, right?  

$95 (or even $80) for a single book about the troubled production of what is easily my least favorite ST movie is just too steep.   I could see (maybe) shelling out $40-$50 (at most), but past that, it's priced out of my fiscal reality.   Not that I won't pay $95 for a great book, but it has to be a really terrific book that I really, really want very, very badly.  Learning about the 'what-ifs' of INS just doesn't cut it for me. 

A lot of it boils down to, "Stewart wanted to lighten up and have a fun little romp."

It does also feature insightful little factoids like Berman eating a lunch of melon and cottage cheese because he was always battling with his weight. I have no idea why that stuck with me. 

I came way from it thinking that, despite everything he had to go through, Piller still had to shoulder a lot of the blame for how the movie turned out. I still admire him, and yes, he was caught between a rock and a hard place a lot of the time on this one, but his instincts for what should follow FC were all wrong. 

^
I know, right?  

$95 (or even $80) for a single book about the troubled production of what is easily my least favorite ST movie is just too steep.   I could see (maybe) shelling out $40-$50 (at most), but past that, it's priced out of my fiscal reality.   Not that I won't pay $95 for a great book, but it has to be a really terrific book that I really, really want very, very badly.  Learning about the 'what-ifs' of INS just doesn't cut it for me. 

It's interesting for its forthrightness and honesty. But yeah, for $95, it'd have to be an absolute must-have. 

scenario   

For such a niche book, I'm not shocked by the cost.  The fewer copies you print, the higher the cost per book.  They can't risk a high print volume because they won't sell enough books, so they choose a low print volume and higher price point.  Probably why the book was never published in the first place, unmarketable really.  As much as I am curious about the behind the scenes from Piller, I'm not shelling out $95!

That's the advantage of digital publishing. For all practical purposes, there is little cost per book. The cost is upfront. Book sellers can't keep physical copies of a book on hand that might only sell a few hundred or thousand copies a year after the initial run. Digital copies don't cost much to keep in stock. 

Sign in to follow this