Hammer

Discovery delayed 4 months

Hammer   

http://deadline.com/2016/09/star-trek-discovery-premiere-date-pushed-the-good-wife-spinoff-cbs-all-access-1201819639/

The scheduling shift was driven by a request from the creative team of Star Trek: Discovery. Created/executive produced by Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman, the newStar Trek series has three completed scripts and the first season mapped out. Sources say the show, which is now casting, was moving along according to its production schedule but its producers proactively asked the studio for more time to use in pre-production, filming and post.

“Bringing Star Trek back to television carries a responsibility and mission: to connect fans and newcomers alike to the series that has fed our imaginations since childhood,” Kurtzman and Fuller said in a statement. “We aim to dream big and deliver, and that means making sure the demands of physical and post-production for a show that takes place entirely in space, and the need to meet an air date, don’t result in compromised quality. Before heading into production, we evaluated these realities with our partners at CBS and they agreed:Star Trek deserves the very best, and these extra few months will help us achieve a vision we can all be proud of.”

“The series template and episodic scripts that Alex and Bryan have delivered are incredibly vivid and compelling,” said CBS TV Studios president David Stapf. “They are building a new, very ambitious Star Trek world for television, and everyone involved supports their vision for the best timing to bring to life what we all love on the page.”

By 'episodic scripts', do they mean scripts for episodes, or do they mean they are going to an episodic rather than serial format? 

This delay also explains why they haven't released casting info yet, they haven't done it. They've had a year and have written 3 scripts out of 12? hmmm....

Edited by Hammer

They also say they have the first season mapped out.

I'd rather they got it right than rushed it. Who wants another scenerio like Enterprise? Even Berman said they should've waited a year before getting it to screens, but the network pushed.

They also say they have the first season mapped out.

I'd rather they got it right than rushed it. Who wants another scenerio like Enterprise? Even Berman said they should've waited a year before getting it to screens, but the network pushed.

^
My take as well.   As Spock Prime would say, "Do 
what feels right."

They're not rushing it to meet the 50th anniversary date (that pressure's off), so what's the hurry, other than we all want new Star Trek?   This is not a bad thing to me; this is a sign that they're not throwing it out there; they're delivering a finalized product and not a rush job. 

kenman   

I'm not surprised. I thought that January was seeming increasingly unlikely as they had not announced casting yet. I think they have the arc mapped out, but they are still writing individual episodes, and probably want to have the cast in place, because casting can help shape the voices of the characters...so they probably want to make sure that they have time to rewrite once casting is finalized and the voices of the characters begin to take a better shape.  Like others have said, I'd rather they make sure the quality is in place than they rush it for a vague and arbitrary January release date.  I've waited long enough, whats a few more months. 

Sim   

Hm, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm so eager to see DSC that waiting another 4 months is annoying.

On the other side, yes, better delay than rush it. Better wait longer for something that's worth it, than the other way.

Hope the delay means just that -- more focus on quality, rather than being a sign the producers don't take their work seriously or are not up to the task or something.

I honestly think this is good news. We heard nothing about Discovery at Comic Con, they have no announcements slated for NYC Comic Con and they said not a thing about it during the virtually non existent 50th anniversary. Paramount is going through a lot of crap right now and I hope this Friday gives them a chance to focus on the show and make sure it's polished and gives Star Trek the proper love and attention it deserves.

Sim   

I honestly think this is good news. We heard nothing about Discovery at Comic Con, they have no announcements slated for NYC Comic Con and they said not a thing about it during the virtually non existent 50th anniversary. Paramount is going through a lot of crap right now and I hope this Friday gives them a chance to focus on the show and make sure it's polished and gives Star Trek the proper love and attention it deserves.

Paramount is not involved in the production of the new show.

Didn't Prome say something about there being plans for Paramount and CBS to somehow be reintegrated as business entities by their parent company? I haven't been keeping an ear to the ground about this one. 

Welcome aboard, nerdlyknight!

Couldn't agree with you more.  A few months is a small price to pay for a project that isn't just slapped with a Star Trek label and rushed to order.

Post often and prosper! 

While I heartily agree with you gentlemen and certainly haven't seen or heard about anything related to Discovery that seems even remotely ready for prime time, I must confess to being disappointed at the delay.  In this case, however, the new show's Prime Directive should be, "Don't screw this one up!"

Meanwhile, Happy Trekking, everyone!

I really don't think having it in January is rushing.  TV series come to fruition a lot faster.  But maybe they were working on other projects and just wanted to get an announcement out there.  Ultimately, as of now, I like some of the writers, but have not been impressed with anything they have released--what little of it there is.

While I heartily agree with you gentlemen and certainly haven't seen or heard about anything related to Discovery that seems even remotely ready for prime time, I must confess to being disappointed at the delay.  In this case, however, the new show's Prime Directive should be, "Don't screw this one up!"

Meanwhile, Happy Trekking, everyone!

Disappointed in the delay itself, but not enough to want them to rush it out either.   It was suspicious (as someone noted upthread) that the show was originally debuting in only a few months and they hadn't even announced casting yet.   This would've been OK last summer, but not this close to January.

Makes sense they pushed it back. 

Hammer   

Didn't Prome say something about there being plans for Paramount and CBS to somehow be reintegrated as business entities by their parent company? I haven't been keeping an ear to the ground about this one. 

http://deadline.com/2016/09/les-moonves-star-trek-delay-viacom-merger-opinion-nfl-cbs-1201820189/

“I have no idea what you are talking about,” laughed Les Moonves today about any possible new merger between CBS and Viacom. “Truth of the matter, we are a stand-alone public company,” he told a well-heeled ballroom Thursday at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch 2016 Media, Communications and Entertainment Conference. 

“We are never going to do anything that would harm the CBS shareholders,” he threw in somewhat surprisingly.

“Not in active discussion for anything like that,” a “very happy” Moonves reiterated, capping off talking about the widely discussed possible Viacom remarriage. 

With Star Trek, which is the family jewels, I rather it be a few months late than not late and suffer for it,” Moonves said about Wednesday’s announcement that the Bryan Fuller- and Alex Kurtzman-EP’ed Star Trek: Discoverywill lift off on CBS All Access in May rather than January. “The producers came into my office and begged me,” he said of deciding to push back the Star Treklaunch. “So we flipped their position on the dial in terms of our calendar,”

“I anticipate sooner or later making a deal with the NFL,” he teased of going bigger on the gridiron on digital platform CBS All Access. “We think a deal will happen.”

So yeah, from the way he is deflecting, I think it's likely that there have been merger talks.

kenman   

http://deadline.com/2016/09/les-moonves-star-trek-delay-viacom-merger-opinion-nfl-cbs-1201820189/

“I have no idea what you are talking about,” laughed Les Moonves today about any possible new merger between CBS and Viacom. “Truth of the matter, we are a stand-alone public company,” he told a well-heeled ballroom Thursday at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch 2016 Media, Communications and Entertainment Conference. 

“We are never going to do anything that would harm the CBS shareholders,” he threw in somewhat surprisingly.

“Not in active discussion for anything like that,” a “very happy” Moonves reiterated, capping off talking about the widely discussed possible Viacom remarriage. 

With Star Trek, which is the family jewels, I rather it be a few months late than not late and suffer for it,” Moonves said about Wednesday’s announcement that the Bryan Fuller- and Alex Kurtzman-EP’ed Star Trek: Discoverywill lift off on CBS All Access in May rather than January. “The producers came into my office and begged me,” he said of deciding to push back the Star Treklaunch. “So we flipped their position on the dial in terms of our calendar,”

“I anticipate sooner or later making a deal with the NFL,” he teased of going bigger on the gridiron on digital platform CBS All Access. “We think a deal will happen.”

So yeah, from the way he is deflecting, I think it's likely that there have been merger talks.

Who knows really when it comes to re-merging with Viacom. Crazier things have happened.  I would say that if they managed to actually get the NFL on CBSAA...that thing is gonna blow up huge. A simple app in which people can watch their football games no matter where they are?  I can't stand the sport but there is no denying that is a big sell for many in this country. 

I would say that if they managed to actually get the NFL on CBSAA...that thing is gonna blow up huge. A simple app in which people can watch their football games no matter where they are?  I can't stand the sport but there is no denying that is a big sell for many in this country. 

If they can swing that, they'll be making money faster than they can count it. It almost won't matter what else they put on it. 

I would say that if they managed to actually get the NFL on CBSAA...that thing is gonna blow up huge. A simple app in which people can watch their football games no matter where they are?  I can't stand the sport but there is no denying that is a big sell for many in this country. 

If they can swing that, they'll be making money faster than they can count it. It almost won't matter what else they put on it. 

That would be the only draw for many; just as ST is the primary draw for us on this site.  

That would be the only draw for many; just as ST is the primary draw for us on this site.  

With that, within a couple of years, I can imagine them having a subscriber base comparable to the big boys. People would sign up that quickly, I think.

With that, within a couple of years, I can imagine them having a subscriber base comparable to the big boys. People would sign up that quickly, I think.

With an NFL contract?  It'd be overnight. 

Taking time to do it right is better. That was the difference in both Battlestar Galactica series. The original was rushed after the 3hr pilot to the point where they were sometimes shooting scenes for two episodes at once and getting scripts the day they were to be shot. The reboot was given pretty much a year after the mini-series to get things set in place.

TMP is of course a big example of rushing things too. Had Paramount not foolishly locked in the Dec release date and instead told Wise to shoot for Memorial day 1980 or July 4th at the latest, he and everyone else involved would have had more time to do things better instead of the rewrites on the fly and maybe we wouldn't have needed the Director's Edition as some of the fx ideas could have been realized. 

Taking time to do it right is better. That was the difference in both Battlestar Galactica series. The original was rushed after the 3hr pilot to the point where they were sometimes shooting scenes for two episodes at once and getting scripts the day they were to be shot. The reboot was given pretty much a year after the mini-series to get things set in place.

TMP is of course a big example of rushing things too. Had Paramount not foolishly locked in the Dec release date and instead told Wise to shoot for Memorial day 1980 or July 4th at the latest, he and everyone else involved would have had more time to do things better instead of the rewrites on the fly and maybe we wouldn't have needed the Director's Edition as some of the fx ideas could have been realized. 

Even VGR and ENT were both rushed to air because the studio didn't want a year without a Star Trek ship series.   I'm currently reading Mark Altman & Ed Gross' book "The Fifty Year Mission" vol. 2, and it goes into detail about how VGR was practically thrown out onto the stage because Paramount didn't really have enough faith in DS9 to support the ST franchise at that time.    Many who were involved in DS9 (and a couple involved in VGR) believed that both shows could've benefitted from the delay.   DS9 would've had more room to 'breathe' and VGR could've refined its concept a bit. 

I'm hoping that Fuller and company will use their extra little pocket of time wisely.

Enterprise certainly could have waited a year (though I'm not sure they could have locked up the cast that far in advance so we might have lost out on some of them). 

Even VGR and ENT were both rushed to air because the studio didn't want a year without a Star Trek ship series.   I'm currently reading Mark Altman & Ed Gross' book "The Fifty Year Mission" vol. 2, and it goes into detail about how VGR was practically thrown out onto the stage because Paramount didn't really have enough faith in DS9 to support the ST franchise at that time.    Many who were involved in DS9 (and a couple involved in VGR) believed that both shows could've benefitted from the delay.   DS9 would've had more room to 'breathe' and VGR could've refined its concept a bit. 

I'm hoping that Fuller and company will use their extra little pocket of time wisely.

and that truly disappoints me. I'm in the camp of considering DS9 one of the best in the franchise and it's my personal favorite followed by TNG. By rushing Voyager it hurt DS9 and killed the chances for them to get the much deserved movie treatment. It's something a few of the actors have talked about before.

and that truly disappoints me. I'm in the camp of considering DS9 one of the best in the franchise and it's my personal favorite followed by TNG. By rushing Voyager it hurt DS9 and killed the chances for them to get the much deserved movie treatment. It's something a few of the actors have talked about before.

I remember reading an old article in Mark Altman's old 1990s scifi magazine SciFi Universe (one of the better ones of that time, IMO) and they had a great article/editorial about how DS9 could've spawned a smaller scale, "Pulp Fiction"-type movie franchise instead of a big budget, space opera-type Star Trek film.    

I think DS9's feature films (assuming it ever had the chance, or the breathing room, to warrant them) could've been the smaller, but eminently more interesting films of the ST movie franchise.   

In the '90s, a lot of smaller independent ('indie') films were breaking mainstream barriers (like "Pulp Fiction" and the Kevin Smith movies).  I think DS9 could've been a studio film but perhaps produced with a lower budget (via Paramount's independent Vintage wing) rather than a traditional ST feature.  Precedents include the crowdsourced "Veronica Mars" movie, or "Serenity."   A smaller scale ST movie that is all about character; with a smaller emphasis on spectacle.  

Maybe it could've been about the return of 'the Sisko' or Bajor's admission to the Federation.  Again; it wouldn't necessarily have to be some $100 million epic.  Just a smaller, indie-style ST movie using existing sets and actors.   It could've set the tone for a wave of smaller feature films based on scifi TV franchises (like the X-Files movies, but for Star Trek).   It wouldn't be designed to do Star Wars-style business, but using existing TV sets (which were built to look like a feature film) and mainly actors from the series, they could've kept costs phenomenally low.   I think that was one of the best suggestions I'd ever heard for DS9.   Could you imagine seeing those DS9 sets in 2.35:1 on a big screen?

To quote the late Kor (who also appeared on DS9 in a far more interesting fashion than his TOS appearance), "It would've been glorious..."

Sorry for the derail (my fault!).

But BOT: yes, I wish DS9 could've enjoyed the delay that DSC is getting... a year or two on air by itself with no VGR spinoff crowding the airwaves.