Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

Paramount Releases Star Trek 50th Anniversary Trailer

11 posts in this topic

I was hoping they might slip Beyond's release date on the back end of that, but no such luck. 

My money's on mid to late November.

Edited by prometheus59650

I love the "filed under RANT" line above the article. :laugh: 

But that's about all that amuses me indeed.

I've been saying this for quite a while: The "official" channels have no interest whatsoever in properly promoting anything related to Trek anymore. I may sit only in the TNG corner but I notice it when I see NO intention WHATSOEVER to celebrate TNG's 30th anniversary next year. I'm actually surprised they included TNG in that trailer above since all they appear to care about these days are TOS and AOS. (No matter if we're talking CBS or Paramount - same problem. One focuses on TOS and the other on AOS and the TOS movies. They both act like as if TOS and AOS are the only Star Trek they have ever produced.) I have an explanation though - look at the trailer. It's the MOVIES ONLY. Trek MOVIES. No series. This trailer looks like as if it was made by someone who only has the movie rights. That's why they included TNG and excluded the other shows - no movie material.

Still, none of this changes the fact that they care about TOS/AOS only. But that alone doesn't even make their promotion for those any good either. It's clumsy and vague, and they often don't seem to really know what they're supposed to be doing with it. You get the same crap every time "look it's Kirk it's TOS the LEEEEEGEEEEENNNNDDD" but other than that, no real initiative is shown, you just get a "buy this because it's KIRK" message from it. And that isn't enough to promote a product these days. In essence, one could say their promotion is half-hearted at best. And that's for TOS and AOS, the things they FOCUS on these days. Half-hearted is their BEST effort. Now cut to the other shows and that's where you get the real frustration. TNG admittedly gets a few promotional bread crumbs every now and then but ever since the Blu Ray release didn't match CBS' expectations they have basically dropped it as a potential cash cow. And the other series? I sometimes sincerely doubt they even remember that those EXIST. They let fans and writers and people who were involved with the shows do things from time to time, yes, but they show no initiative on their own to promote them. Trek's anniversary was celebrated by the FANS, actors and writers of Trek. The STUDIO didn't move a muscle other than releasing a half hearted trailer that has movie scenes only (did they shove this over to Paramount and tell them "yo guys, quickly, throw a trailer together there's some kind of anniversary thing going on for Star Trek or something"? - it sure looks that way). They don't actually seem to really CARE anymore.

All that being said, I absolutely agree with the article. Official channels are doing basically almost NOTHING despite having a new series coming out and all. It's - once again - the fans who are trying to keep Trek alive. Big question is, of course - will this be enough in these days where success depends on 100% support from studios etc.?

Well the new Bad Robot people didn't want there to be the 'old Star Trek" anymore, so their new flashy Trek was the one and only. The student then had little to go on, when they should have just put the new movies in another category.

It might have helped the bluray sales if they weren't nearly 80 bucks each. They're reissues. 50 bucks each would have been better.

It might also have helped to allow the studio and the old toy lines, and other rights holders, to be allowed to make new stuff for sale to tie into the movies and rerun shows.

When they were making Beyond, early on, they realized that they were onto the 50th and they had to reshape the movie script to fit it. You can tell.

If they truly liked the fans, the new show would be set 30 years after the start of TNG, with a new ship and crew, ala now, 2393 or 2394 in Trekdom.

But the old fans aren't watching it. They're crabby old guys that just want the TNG crew to have one more round. That's what the studio thinks. They want Trek for the masses. They want Star Wars numbers with a 50 year old show that hasn't been on TV since 2005. You can tell they want to kill that too. The 2017 show is on a limited and ironic all access paid web site in 2017. It's a fan service prequel. It should be a follow up. It needs to be a follow up.

If they want Disney like numbers, they're going to have to get smart fast, market beyond the pale, and drop that whole, only the original show matters mantra. No, it all matters. All of it. Even the Voyager show. Uhg. Yep.

Don't just give the fans repackaged movie editions either. Give us all of the special editions, and let Shatner finish the effects in part V.

Rerelease all of the art asylum and playmates figures, and new ones pertaining to the new shows and movies.

Do not only a blu ray box set of all of TNG, but tackle DS9 and Voy and the rest.

Posters, shirts, mugs, toys, uniforms, models, the works. Put Star Trek on bed sheet sets again. Put Star Trek everywhere.

More than half of getting people to see something is exposure, as in ad revenue for the studio. Give the fans and the new fans a saturation of all things Trek and you will make money.

That is what Disney did with Wars and Marvel.

Delete the Star Trek fan film guidelines. Let fan films be celebrated just not at any profit. Let fans love it again. Let some dudes in a garage do their funky Captain Jones adventure or something.

Abrams has gone on to Star Wars.

Fine, the Kelvin timeline exists, but the Prime does too.

How about a TNG 30th anniversary miniseries event directed by Frakes (or someone else in that era that's good) where the old crews come together to stop a major new threat in the 2390s? Market figs to go with it, and all the rest.

Maybe Q could show up and quickly explain why deLancie looks older. "I just did this as a disguise, Admiral Picard."

The 50th caught them off guard. It's not enough, but it's not too late. Get with it CBS and Paramount.

Just announce CBS will be picking up the series, and also a prime series.

They won't, but they could.

LOL.

The 50th did not catch them off guard, as I'll wager that the lowliest intern there can read a calendar.

And they are never going to run DSC on CBS...because they actually want it to succeed; something it'd never do on CBS.

Edited by prometheus59650

I swear, I am not the author of that article :D

I've been saying this all along--Paramount blew the opportunity to cash in on the 50th.  There was no celebration at all.  Doctor Who gave them the template and they did nothing but make an ordinary movie.  I liked the movie, but there was nothing about it that marked the 50th at all.

I swear, I am not the author of that article :D

1075.gif :P