Sign in to follow this  
ITDEFX

Can we do something to buy Interplay? (So we can get the Star Trek assets)

ITDEFX   

Hello fellow Trekkers!

This morning I found this via a Kotaku link.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2016/09/07/870242/10165014/en/Interplay-Announces-Sale-of-Significant-IP-Portfolio-Wedbush-Securities-as-Strategic-Advisor.html

I sent the guy listed on the page an email inquiring about the possibility of looking into purchasing the assets used during the production Interplay's various star trek titles including Klingon Academy and Secret of Vulcan Fury.   Based on what I have read over the years the Voices of the original actors were recorded and complete before the project got cancelled.  I am assuming all that stuff was preserved some how considering all the work went into it.   Due to the decline of Star Trek over the years, no one wanted to pick up the project and finish it off..but with modern technology and the original audio files and script, I am sure someone can finish it off and make it see the light of day.  

I am also interested in seeing the uncompressed original Full Motion Videos used with the actors in the games like Klingon Academy and Starfleet Academy being released one day.

From the response email I got their response was, "At this time, the auction is for the entire portfolio, we are not planning on selling individual titles.  If you have an interest after review, happy to discuss the bidding process."

So basically they won't sell off the Star Trek assets only...you have to buy the entire thing....which has some good IP's and so so titles. 

I am curious from a legal stand point, so Interplay got the License from Paramount to do the Star Trek games..so what happens to all the rights to the work like the full motion videos and audio featuring the original TOS and movie actors?   Can the new owners of the Interplay Assets do whatever they want with them or do they have to get another license from Paramount/CBS to say complete SOVF thru a fan project or an actual project that makes money (with of course Paramount/CBS getting a cut of the profits)?

As for the other IP's.... I am sure there are fans who want to see a reboot or sequel to their favorite games..... I saw Descent listed there but TM only.... I wonder why not the assets? hmmm..

Edited by ITDEFX

The contracts are probably time-limited, and demand a product within a set time period. For instance, the only reason Sony rebooted Spider-Man with Garfield was simply a case of use it or lose it.I'm willing to bet that you have to get  a new contract in order to make a game out of the assets.

Never mind now that you'd basically have to rebuild the games in 2016.

kenman   

Secret of Vulcan Fury, I would love that!

Same here...all the voice acting from the Original Cast...woudln't it be lovely if they just made a new animated episode. One damn episode out of it.  That would've been a treat for the 50th!

rta-man   

I also would love to get my hands on The Secret of Vulcan Fury assets.

Yes, you would be able to restore/finish The Secret of Vulcan Fury -- as long as you release the game for free.  CBS/Paramount won't allow you to sell the game unless they authorize it.  The previous contract they had for those games was with Interplay -- no one else.

Same here...all the voice acting from the Original Cast...woudln't it be lovely if they just made a new animated episode. One damn episode out of it.  That would've been a treat for the 50th!

Not all. Kelly had passed by then.

But, as I recall, his voice actor was excellent.

I have both STARFLEET ACADEMY (starring Shatner,Koenig and Takei0 and KLINGON ACADEMY (starring Christopher Plummer as General Chang and David Warner as Gorkon) edited as DVD-R movies, if anybody is interested. And the trailers for SECRET OF VULCAN FURY and STARFLEET ACADEMY, which are awesome.

STARFLEET ACADEMY INTRO (Score by Ron Jones)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkU9hTNTD-Y

Gus

kenman   

Not all. Kelly had passed by then.

But, as I recall, his voice actor was excellent.

This is semi-true if I remember, Kelley did some voice acting before he passed, but they needed more and did a rewrite and a good voice actor did come in to replace and fill in where he left off. 

ITDEFX   

ahh finally I can reply to my own topic lol :)

Anyways can we generate enough interest for like say a Kickstarter or gofundme?   This isn't going to be cheap.   The other question is, what the hell do we do with the other IP's if we only keep the Star Trek ones?

I have both STARFLEET ACADEMY (starring Shatner,Koenig and Takei0 and KLINGON ACADEMY (starring Christopher Plummer as General Chang and David Warner as Gorkon) edited as DVD-R movies, if anybody is interested. And the trailers for SECRET OF VULCAN FURY and STARFLEET ACADEMY, which are awesome.

STARFLEET ACADEMY INTRO (Score by Ron Jones)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkU9hTNTD-Y

Gus

Well if we get a hold of the animation files we could re-render it at a higher resolution.  Everything had to be compressed so much back in the day so they can fit on CD's and play properly on back then computers.   If we get a hold of the uncompressed FMV and recompress them with modern compressors, I am sure it will look amazing.

ITDEFX   

I really want to get serious about this guys.   Star Trek has a HUGE Fan base and there is so much we can do bring Secret of Vulcan Fury back from the dead and release it as it seemed like it had so much potential.   The big problem I see is raising the funds to buy all of Interplay (since we can't buy just the Star Trek stuff by itself) and what to do with the rest of Interplay's other IP's.    I am sure we can sell most of them off to some rising developer.  I would like to start up a Kickstarter in the hopes of getting money to do this.   Please help!

I admire your enthusiasm, but I really don't see this working. You need millions of dollars, most likely, and that level of Kickstarter success is rare.

Then there's the fact that you have to be prepared that no one else will want the assets you don't, so they're just there with no value. Most of them are likely dated. Vulcan's Fury is certainly so. How finished was it? Are you just going to dump the visual assets on Youtube, as you can't charge for the game? Are you going to finish the game and release it free? If you are, what kind of expertise do you need to actually finish it? How much is it going to take to hire that expertise? How long will it take? How much over budget can you go? (Because you will go over budget)

I think you're a bit caught up in the lust to see the story, and, while I can certainly understand that, I'm not sure you've thought this through.

ITDEFX   

I admire your enthusiasm, but I really don't see this working. You need millions of dollars, most likely, and that level of Kickstarter success is rare.

Then there's the fact that you have to be prepared that no one else will want the assets you don't, so they're just there with no value. Most of them are likely dated. Vulcan's Fury is certainly so. How finished was it? Are you just going to dump the visual assets on Youtube, as you can't charge for the game? Are you going to finish the game and release it free? If you are, what kind of expertise do you need to actually finish it? How much is it going to take to hire that expertise? How long will it take? How much over budget can you go? (Because you will go over budget)

I think you're a bit caught up in the lust to see the story, and, while I can certainly understand that, I'm not sure you've thought this through.

Well it was worth a shot...thanks for the reality check... I just don't want to see all that good work go to waste.   Even if we had the money to buy Interplay and get SOFV, working with CBS/Paramount to release it may cost us more.   Then there is the fact of how much of that game was preserved over the years...if the media in which the assets were stored in are still in usable condition. 

Honestly, I want to see it, too, don't get me wrong, but you're right, that's another issue: how much of the game assets are you getting, and are they still even retrievable?

You'd need (or at least I would want) an itemized accounting of every file they have before I'd consider a bid. If nothing else, I could throw that list on some programming forums and the denizens could tell me how much game is actually there,and what it might take to even put it an an alpha playable state.

All that dousing the idea with reality aside, if I I had a, say $400M lottery ticket in my pocket, I might try for it, just to look it over. :) 

ITDEFX   

Most likely everything is sold "As Is" and would require the buy(ers) to go to the HQ and pick up everything themselves...then to invest the time and money to sort thru old hard drives, CDs, Media Tapes and so on to see what is recoverable is the key.   Tossing millions only to end up with corrupt/unrecoverable media drives/discs would be a costly purchase.   I doubt Interplay will help the buyer with that information.  From what I read, Interplay tried to do a kickerstarter for a board game and they failed :(   https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/606843645/freespace-tactics?ref=nav_search

rta-man   

We would all LOVE to access the Klingon Academy and The Secret of Vulcan Fury assets.  Unfortunately, it's all about the money.  It's obvious Interplay could care less about the franchise and the fans.  They want money for their stuff.  It's too bad people think this way.

ITDEFX   

So several days after I gave up on this idea I get this email with an attachment:   There is no way I can come up with millions to buy Interplay.   Should I ignore it or politely decline?  I wish someone would buy the Star Trek stuff and preserve them somehow.  

----------------------------------------------

Thank you for your interest in leading video game software developer, publisher and licensor Interplay Entertainment Corp.  We are excited to include you in the next stage of the process to sell its library of video game assets and intellectual property. 

Attached, please find a formal invitation to submit a Proposal for the purchase of the IP portfolio of the Company.  The Company requests that you submit your Proposal in writing (executed by an officer authorized to do so) via e-mail or express courier to arrive no later than 12:00 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 to the following address:

We expect that you will have completed a thorough review of the information provided to date about the Company by the time of the submission of your Proposal.  We expect that you will have specific due diligence items remaining so please include a complete and final list of any items you would require to close a transaction along with your Proposal.  Wedbush is available at any time to discuss any matters relating to the Company or the process and will coordinate any and all contact with the Company.

Best,

--

---------------------------------------------------

ITDEFX   

I would just simply ignore it. I don't think you'll be getting a, "Where is your proposal?" email.

Oh ok.. I was going to reply to something to the effect of:  Thank you for contacting me regarding the possible purchase of the Interplay assets.   After much research and consideration, at this time we cannot acquire the funding necessary to purchase Interplay and their IPs.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

Just to be polite and professional.  Still I would have LOVED to have gone over their inventory of what is still usable after all these years.

I would just simply ignore it. I don't think you'll be getting a, "Where is your proposal?" email.

Oh ok.. I was going to reply to something to the effect of:  Thank you for contacting me regarding the possible purchase of the Interplay assets.   After much research and consideration, at this time we cannot acquire the funding necessary to purchase Interplay and their IPs.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

Just to be polite and professional.  Still I would have LOVED to have gone over their inventory of what is still usable after all these years.

Well, that's fine, too, of course. :)

ITDEFX   

I really hope I am not the only party that was interested in the assets.  The letter and the legal document they sent was like I was the only one who expressed interest and was going to buy it directly from them.   I was like whoa whoa..I don't have 47 million dollars under my bed. lol

I really hope I am not the only party that was interested in the assets.  The letter and the legal document they sent was like I was the only one who expressed interest and was going to buy it directly from them.   I was like whoa whoa..I don't have 47 million dollars under my bed. lol

Last time I checked under my mattress, neither did I... of course, I haven't checked under the sofa cushions yet.   :P

Sign in to follow this