Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

50 Years Later : My Favorite Episode

14 posts in this topic

"Hurry....................you dont have much time......."

My favorite STAR TREK THE ORIGINAL SERIES episode, the second pilot shot in July 1965, WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE, introducing William Shatner as Captain James Kirk.

Happy anniversary, STAR TREK !

14237635_10210538558039385_7347344179722

14192687_10210538558239390_7261387485275

14264194_10210538558879406_8342074870532

RIP Gene Roddenberry, Majel Barrett, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, Jimmy Doohan and Grace Lee Whitney.

Gus

Mine would be "Devil in the Dark" because it best speaks to what Star Trek is (or tries to be); and because I love the message.   The 'monster' or 'devil' is really a mother protecting her children.   The real 'devils in the dark' could also be interpreted as the miners; who broke into the nursery and destroyed her eggs.

The_Devil_in_the_Dark_266.JPG

Not to mention that it also has terrific Spock and McCoy moments; Nimoy's acting during the mind meld is a series' best (worth of an Emmy IMO) and McCoy's thinking outside the box is put to the ultimate test (treating a creature that is virtually 'made of stone'). 

Kirk is also shown to override his own need for revenge and 'talk' to the creature, even when he has the tactical advantage and could've killed it (following his own previous order of 'shoot to kill' at all costs).  He even acts as a human barricade to PROTECT the creature; threatening the angry mob of miners with the line, "First man who fires is dead." 

In every way, DITD is a quintessential ST episode:  a crisis leads the crew to hunt a monster.   The 'monster' turns out to be merely misunderstood.  Kirk and the crew help the creature.  A mutually beneficial resolution is reached and humanity's understanding is expanded.   

This episode is everything ST does best. 

One of my two runner ups would be "Journey To Babel"; possibly the BEST exploration of Spock well.... ever.  Yes, even better than "Amok Time."  

Journey_to_Babel_063.JPG

Meeting Spock's family was the key to truly understanding his character, not watching him fight Kirk in a feverish haze.    And Mark Lenard is so memorable as Sarek; as was Jane Wyatt.  Wyatt's tear-soaked plea to her son in his quarters is heartbreaking on both sides; we also get a sad glimpse into Spock's anguished childhood.  It's not hard to see why they returned in the movies.    We also get to (finally) see so many other Federation members for the first time (Andorians, Tellarites); in this episode,  the Federation actually feels more like a cosmopolitan "United Nations In Space" rather than a groups of humans with a token alien in their midst.   This is one of best 'universe-defining' episodes of the entire series.  Not to mention that Kirk, Spock and McCoy all have amazing moments.  Kirk kicks Orion ass, Spock is all over it, and McCoy does open-heart surgery (and a massive transfusion) on a Vulcan for the first time (!).  Oh, and did I mention the Enterprise gets the hell knocked out of it by a warp-10 traveling Orion starship?

And yes; "City on the Edge of Forever."

cityontheedge_729.jpg

This one is the one you're SUPPOSED to pick as your favorite, and it is an amazing episode (both the filmed AND un-filmed original versions; luckily I've seen and read both).  

I would credit Harlan Ellison, but he was so massively rewritten that the final resemblance to his original script is superficial for the most part.  Most of the best scenes in the original script are gone (the old WW1 veteran "Trooper" really needed to be in the final episode IMO).   Admittedly, having a member of the Enterprise crew (the evil Beckwith) dealing drugs was a step too far, but some of it was really amazing (esp. Kirk and the crew arriving on a 'pirate-ship' version of the Enterprise a full season ahead of "Mirror, Mirror").  Ellison's story is available both to read as text, and as a wonderful graphic novel from IDW (I highly recommend it). 

But the episode that was broadcast is STILL an amazing hour of Star Trek.   Joan Collins exudes a certain prim saintliness as Edith Keeler, who acts as a human temporal lightning rod; not too hard to see Kirk falling for her like a ton of bricks.  Spock's wonderful moments with Kirk alone are worth the episodes film cans' weight in gold; they range from humorous ("stone knives and bearskins") to poignant ("save her... do as your heart tells you to do, and millions will die...").   And that final act, when Spock tells McCoy (who tried to blindly save Edith) that Kirk knows exactly what he did in allowing her to die, "He knows, Doctor.  He knows..."  Chilling stuff.  

And Kirk's final "Let's get the hell out of here" was not only a broadcast-standards first, but also a genuinely powerful moment that works as well today as it did 49 years ago in 1967.   On its own merits, this is still an extraordinary and atypical piece of television. 

My favorite episode is certainly City on the Edge of Forever. One of the few I remember from my childhood is A Taste of Armageddon. The virtual war between computers where real people had to die really hit me when I was 12. I wasn't even a gamer at the time, so I don't know why I remember it so well, but I do. Third favorite is probably The Menagerie.

I refuse to choose a favourite, there are so many good ST episodes... I will say though, that there are some that made a stronger mark on me. I would list "The Empath", I know, strange choice, and I can't hardly remember much about the episode, but my father is pretty sure it was the first Star Trek episode I have ever watched. He showed it to me when I was still a little kid, so I'm guessing he knows better than I that can't remember a thing about that age. That was the start of a love that never died... 

I would also list "The Doomsday Device", as a kid that episode was just awesome. 

"Obsession" also comes to mind. Such a great episode, that showed me captain Kirk had his fears, was just a man, with a man's courage... Nothing but a man... Ok, you get the point :rolleyes:

"Arena" One of the only two TOS episode I had memory of watching before I start watching them again as an more mature person. What can I say? Gigant lizards do make an impression on children... 

"The Man Trap" That is the other episode I had memory of watching. Scared the hell out of me back then. Hahaha

I better stop now or we will go on all day with this... We should make a thread like this to every ST show.

I refuse to choose a favourite, there are so many good ST episodes... I will say though, that there are some that made a stronger mark on me. I would list "The Empath", I know, strange choice, and I can't hardly remember much about the episode, but my father is pretty sure it was the first Star Trek episode I have ever watched. He showed it to me when I was still a little kid, so I'm guessing he knows better than I that can't remember a thing about that age. That was the start of a love that never died... 

I would also list "The Doomsday Device", as a kid that episode was just awesome. 

"Obsession" also comes to mind. Such a great episode, that showed me captain Kirk had his fears, was just a man, with a man's courage... Nothing but a man... Ok, you get the point :rolleyes:

"Arena" One of the only two TOS episode I had memory of watching before I start watching them again as an more mature person. What can I say? Gigant lizards do make an impression on children... 

"The Man Trap" That is the other episode I had memory of watching. Scared the hell out of me back then. Hahaha

I better stop now or we will go on all day with this... We should make a thread like this to every ST show.

^
We already have 'favorite episode' threads galore, but this is a 50th anniversary one so it has that distinction.  
;)

^
We already have 'favorite episode' threads galore, but this is a 50th anniversary one so it has that distinction.  
;)

Gee, I have been forgeting a lot of things these last few days haven't I? You are right, sorry, my mistake. What can I do... I'm just human... :giggle:

July 20th, 1965, William Shatner sits in the Captain’s chair playing for the first time Captain James Kirk on the U.S.S. Enterprise's bridge as Day 2 of filming continues on the second pilot that will later form the basis of the Original Series 3rd episode, “Where No Man Has Gone Before”:

14225343_10210538509878181_7989957084323

Gus

Fave TOS... oooooh.... Doomsday Machine? Corbomite Maneuver. Devil in the Dark, Mirror Mirror. One of those. But it's so difficult to choose just one - which is maybe why we're here fifty years later trying to.

TNG? Parallels, The Measure of a Man, Tapestry, best of Both Worlds... y'know, one of those (etc.)...

The Trouble with Tribbles

spock-v-kirk-2.thumb.gif.a3b963ad5bb51eb

Wow.  I love them all.  TOS is what I cut my teeth on.  IF I had to pick a favorite it would have to be Arena.  Drama builds to a conclusion where Kirk chooses not to kill - today.  (Couldn't help but think of this when he is fighting Kruge in STIII.)  Runner-up would be The Tholian Web.  What happens when the ego (Kirk) is gone and all you have left is the superego (Spock) and the id (McCoy).  

Happy Anniversary STAR TREK

I have a real fondness for Balance Of Terror.  It's a submarine thing I guess.  I quite enjoy sub movies; such as Run Silent, Run Deep, The Hunt For Red October, Operation Petticoat, and my favorite The Enemy Below - even Down Periscope will do in a pinch.  So, perhaps something left over from a previous life?

ME

Happy Anniversary STAR TREK

I have a real fondness for Balance Of Terror.  It's a submarine thing I guess.  I quite enjoy sub movies; such as Run Silent, Run Deep, The Hunt For Red October, Operation Petticoat, and my favorite The Enemy Below - even Down Periscope will do in a pinch.  So, perhaps something left over from a previous life?

ME

"Enemy Below" is also a favorite of mine; "Balance of Terror" is pretty much a shot-by-shot remake.

And I also enjoyed "Hunt for Red October"; "Crimson Tide" is another fine one.   Submarine movies have that natural claustrophobia built into them.  Human emotions broiling in an undersea (or outer space?) pressure cooker... 

Late to the party perhaps, but my vote goes to The Enterprise Incident.

An unusual choice perhaps, but I've always loved how we got to see inside an alien ship - and I know it wasn't their first appearance, but the Romulans were a great adversary; not a one-dimentional race of evil mad men, nor a one-trick pony of tired cliches... This was culture quite like our own in many ways (except unlike the contemporary Federation, Romulans actually allowed women to command their ships!)

I probably like it because it was one of the first episodes I ever saw and that nostalgia feeling is quite powerful.

But even on its own terms, it's got drama, tension and Spock (by far the most interesting TOS character) gets the limelight for much of the episode... And it isn't just another "Kirk kisses a girl and gets his shirt torn" episode. I also like some of the moral ambiguity... Arguably, Kirk is the bad guy here and the Romulans are just reacting as anyone would to a hostile invader and a spy.

It's also incidentally, one of only nine TOS episodes that include all 7 regulars and Nurse Chapel.

Amok Time and The City on the Edge of Forever also deserve mentioning, both very good too.

Edited by Zef'No
Why not?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0