Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

Nice article on why DS9 is the best Trek show

Nothing new exactly, but nice to read as soon we're due another show we can compare it to. ;)

http://io9.gizmodo.com/deep-space-nine-is-star-treks-best-world-because-its-t-1786060432

I still think that, of all the shows, DS9 is the one that's aged the best. Even Enterprise, made in the early 00s, seems curiously dated, whereas I can watch an episode of DS9 and it still seems timely. 

Nothing new exactly, but nice to read as soon we're due another show we can compare it to. ;)

http://io9.gizmodo.com/deep-space-nine-is-star-treks-best-world-because-its-t-1786060432

I still think that, of all the shows, DS9 is the one that's aged the best. Even Enterprise, made in the early 00s, seems curiously dated, whereas I can watch an episode of DS9 and it still seems timely. 

^
DS9 is the one that's aged the best, I agree.   I truly love this series. 

It's an amazing series; kind of a 'dry run' to Ron Moore's later "Battlestar Galactica" (still the best space opera series ever made, IMO).  

kenman   

I would say DS9 has definitely aged the best on the whole, with TNG aging fairly well from it's third season on (no matter what you feel about the first two years, they feel much more 80s than TNG feels like the 90s). But DS9 was in some ways ahead of it's time in style and storytelling...which is why I think it has held up surprisingly well.  It also just had one of the best ensembles and all of the best TRek writers on board...so it has that going for it as well. 

I would say DS9 has definitely aged the best on the whole, with TNG aging fairly well from it's third season on (no matter what you feel about the first two years, they feel much more 80s than TNG feels like the 90s). But DS9 was in some ways ahead of it's time in style and storytelling...which is why I think it has held up surprisingly well.  It also just had one of the best ensembles and all of the best TRek writers on board...so it has that going for it as well. 

DS9 also has the BEST secondary cast of any ST series.   They're so good that they could frame entire episodes around Garak, Gul Dukat, Leeta and Rom, etc.  That says a lot about the quality of both the actors and the writers on that show.  

I can't see an entire TNG centered on Nurse Ogawa or former engineer Leland T. Lynch...

I can't see an entire TNG centered on Nurse Ogawa or former engineer Leland T. Lynch.

I could barely call them characters. They were more...stand-ups for the principles to bounce off of to the point where they pretty much disappeared next to them.

Weyoun could stand toe-to-toe with Picard any day of the week..

I can't see an entire TNG centered on Nurse Ogawa or former engineer Leland T. Lynch.

I could barely call them characters. They were more...stand-ups for the principles to bounce off of to the point where they pretty much disappeared next to them.

^
I think my head would explode if those two got together... the resulting flood of awesomeness would be too much to process. 

Weyoun.jpggiphy.gif

^
I think my head would explode if those two got together... the resulting flood of awesomeness would be too much to process. 

Weyoun.jpggiphy.gif

Oh, the linguistic waltzes they could dance together.

Oh, I would enjoy seeing that, too! The amount of utter SASS and FABULOUSNESS and OH SNAP alone would make this one worth watching. Neither of them is the type to give up an argument. Oh dear. Someone should write a fan fic. ;) 

Oh, I would enjoy seeing that, too! The amount of utter SASS and FABULOUSNESS and OH SNAP alone would make this one worth watching. Neither of them is the type to give up an argument. Oh dear. Someone should write a fan fic. ;) 

You should. :) 

I couldn't agree more.

Sim   

Absolutely agree as well! WHen it comes to stories and characters, DS9 is the best ST series.

But I'd say visually and technically, it has aged somewhat, perhaps more even than TNG. Can't they give us DS9 on Blu Ray already? (Just had to say it. :P )

You should. :) 

I wrote a sassy Weyoun vs. Dukat insult fic once as an exchange thing for fanart, so it wouldn't be without precedent... I just might consider writing some Picard vs. Weyoun, yes! ;) 

giphy.gif

Here's another interesting essay on what DS9 can do that no other ST series can, from arstechnica.com:  http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/09/what-deep-space-nine-does-that-no-other-star-trek-series-can/

Basically, it shows the way from our current s#!t hole Earth to ST's utopia in steps; very interesting essay.... 

maneth   

I'm not sure about the best Trek, but DS9 is certainly my favorite Trek. A lot of that has to do with the quality of the writing, the genuine character development on the show (particularly Bashir) and the fact that every action had consequences.

I'm not sure about the best Trek, but DS9 is certainly my favorite Trek. A lot of that has to do with the quality of the writing, the genuine character development on the show (particularly Bashir) and the fact that every action had consequences.

That's exactly what I mean when I say it's aged well. The writing, the style of the arc-led plots, the character development and care taken with that presaged the modern era of TV writing. Acts have consequences, both political and personal. I'd be hard-pressed to abandon my loyalty to TOS, simply because it's the first Trek I encountered and it really did change my perceptions of the world and life overall, but TNG and DS9 (which I take essentially to be of a piece) are where Trek grew up. I hope that Discovery is more in the vein  of later TNG and DS9. 

Here's another interesting essay on what DS9 can do that no other ST series can, from arstechnica.com:  http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/09/what-deep-space-nine-does-that-no-other-star-trek-series-can/

Basically, it shows the way from our current s#!t hole Earth to ST's utopia in steps; very interesting essay.... 

Good article! Heartfelt... I'd add, as a serial optimist, I see no reason to apologize for or explain my optimism, and nor am I naive. I think, as a species, we've gone so far down the road of seeing and knowing what we're capable of that there has to be a positive backlash at some point. Optimism is a human quality, not blind faith. Optimism is also just a starting point. It takes a strength of character to continue with it and not lapse into fatalism or cynicism. (And, you know me, I have a tendency for the latter sometimes.) But to remain realistically optimistic in times like ours, to see the possibilities and believe in people's essential decency (even at my age)...! To believe in a universal humanity that unites all... Well, it is a bit Star Trek, isn't it? A bit UFP. And maybe I'm insane, but I still think it's a dream worth going for.