Sign in to follow this  
Justin Snead

Celebrating the 50th

How are you all doing it? What TOS episodes are you watching this week? I feel like I need do something. On the 25th Anniversary I put my models all around the living room and put on my uniform and watched the all-day special on TV. Won't be able to do that this year, but looking for something. 

kenman   

Well September 8th just happens to be my wedding anniversary (totally accidental actually, I had no idea it was Trek's debut day at the time...and my non-Trekkie wife chose the date), so I will be having a date night with the lady. But on Saturday at work I will watch the MeTV airing of the Man Trap, The Cage, and other Trek tidbits during Svengoolie. 

I've celebrated the hell out of the 50th already. :laugh:

In addition to going to my first ever Vegas Star Trek convention last month, we also hit the ST concert in April, and I've seen STB no less than 4 times (the last time only yesterday, at an IMAX screening).   I'm also currently reading two ST books at the moment; Mark Altman & Ed Gross' "The Fifty Year Mission" (part 2, covering TNG all the way up to JJ Trek), and Marc Cushman's "These Are The Voyages" series (I bought all 3 books at the Vegas con, and had Cushman autograph all three).

And two days ago, the missus and I were at the beach when we stopped into a used record store and I bought two seasons of TNG in blu ray (S1 and S2).  I've been watching nothing but TNG bonus features for the last two nights.

On Thursday the 8th, I'll probably just read the next book in Cushman's series (I have all 3, and I'm still reading 1), or I'll watch "The Cage" ("Man Trap" is technically the first episode broadcast, but it's never been one of my favorites; and it doesn't exactly scream "golden anniversary" to me either...).

I'm making a video as tribute to ST. I will use a song that I have always found close to Star Trek. It could be a little longer though... I can barely show all the TV shows before the music ends.

I'm making a video as tribute to ST. I will use a song that I have always found close to Star Trek. It could be a little longer though... I can barely show all the TV shows before the music ends.

Can't wait to see it!

^^^ Is there a place you can loop the music where it's not obvious so you can get a little more time out of it?

Edited by prometheus59650

•  

^^^ Is there a place you can loop the music where it's not obvious so you can get a little more time out of it?

That may be a good idea, but it's not gonna be easy, it's a song by Elvis Presley, so it's net exactly a perfect style of music to loop. Worth a try though. Thanks for the suggestion! 

You're welcome.

Follow up thought is if the song ends on its own as opposed to fading out, those last few notes are probably a good place to go for those extra seconds.

I started reading Cushman's These are the Voyages tonight. I'd always envisioned doing some blogging (maybe pod casting?) based on research and re-watching of TOS. Ive re-watched TNG and DS9 but not TOS, and there are eps I have never seen. 

I'd like to watch a classic ep. on Thursday. Seeing that I will be watching with my husband it will have to be a good one that will hold his interest for 50 minutes, and The Man Trap won't cut it.   

On what DVD is The Cage available?

I'm probably going to go ahead and get the 50th Anniversary Blue Ray box set, since I don't have very much of that content in Blue Ray.  

I started reading Cushman's These are the Voyages tonight. I'd always envisioned doing some blogging (maybe pod casting?) based on research and re-watching of TOS. Ive re-watched TNG and DS9 but not TOS, and there are eps I have never seen. 

I'd like to watch a classic ep. on Thursday. Seeing that I will be watching with my husband it will have to be a good one that will hold his interest for 50 minutes, and The Man Trap won't cut it.   

On what DVD is The Cage available?

I'm probably going to go ahead and get the 50th Anniversary Blue Ray box set, since I don't have very much of that content in Blue Ray.  

^
The remastered sets that I have put "The Cage" on the last disc of the S3 set.   And yes, I agree; "Man Trap" just isn't 'anniversary' enough.

If I do a ST binge-watch that day, I might just do "The Cage" "Encounter at Farpoint" and (if my eyes don't turn rectangular) I might squeeze in "Broken Bow" (one of my favorite ST pilots).

And "These Are The Voyages" (the books, not the ENT episode) are terrific, but they're really dense; stuffed to the gills with minutiae.  Not exactly a brisk read, but enjoyable nevertheless.  I need to give them my FULL attention, but right now I'm reading Vol. 1 of TATV, and "The Fifty Year Mission" vol. 2 (Mark Altman & Ed Gross).   TFYM is actually a brisk and easier read; it's basically collections of chronologically arranged soundbites (by those involved) regarding the production/writing/etc. of all of Star Trek produced beyond TOS and the TOS movies (which are covered in Vol. 1).

Sim   

Hm, I'm not going to do anything special, except perhaps watch "The Cage" on Blu Ray... and just for the sake of it, "The Man Trap" too. Perhaps I'm going to read the TOS e-novella "Miasma" by Greg Cox, which will be released on September 8th for the occasion by the German publisher Cross Cult.

Another novel release for the event by Cross Cult is the "Star Trek: Prometheus" trilogy; the last two months, books #1 and #2 were released and I read them, the concluding #3 will be released by the end of the month.

Other anniversaries seem more appropriate to me ... like the day I watched the first ST episode in my life. That would be "The Menagerie, Part II" on November 23rd 1987, so this day's 30th anniversary is next year for me. I guess I'm going to celebrate this a little more than the date this week.

The first ST episode that ever aired in Germany was "Tomorrow is Yesterday" on May 23rd 1972, so it's still 5 years until that day's 50th anniversary. And then, there is TNG's 30th anniversary next year ... and in 2020, I can celebrate my personal 30th TNG anniversary (the premiere of "Encounter at Farpoint" in Germany was September 7th 1990). So there are plenty of options. :)

I guess my main event for the anniversary will be the premiere of "Discovery" next January. That's the day I'm *really* looking forward to. :)

Sim   

Being the first episode broadcast, "Man Trap" really lucked out as far as repeat watchings go, didn't it? :giggle:

I have to admit, I like "The Man Trap".

Perhaps not an ideal first episode, but it's not a bad episode, IMO. I like that some of the later less used characters get an opportunity to shine here... Uhura most of all, but also Sulu and Janice Rand. The "flirting" scene between Uhura and Spock is amazing, and I regret they didn't do anything like that later again.

And sure, the plot isn't very Star Trek typical -- just killing the alien rather than communicating or exploring it further. Other episodes are better examples of the Star Trek spirit. On the other side, the first appearance of a shape shifting (or rather illusion creating?) alien was effectively done by the standards of its time, IMO, and it's absolutely one of the more thrilling early TOS episodes.

But yeah, "The Cage" and "WNMHGB" are better suited as pilots, no doubt.

Yeah, I agree. It's not the greatest episode, but it's watchable enough. I don't groan when it appears.

Yeah, but it's hardly worth watching every 5 years on September 8th... :S

Yeah, I agree. It's not the greatest episode, but it's watchable enough. I don't groan when it appears.

True enough. There are far better episodes to pick from.

I don't want to watch a lot of the S1 episodes of TNG when/if someone decides a 30th anniversary marathon.

I don't want to watch a lot of the S1 episodes of TNG when/if someone decides a 30th anniversary marathon.

^
Oddly enough, I kinda do....
:giggle:

S1 is growing on me.  It's odd, it's eccentric, it's unruly at times, but it's such out-of-the-box lunacy that I'm actually enjoying now a lot more than I did in first run. 

^
Oddly enough, I kinda do....
:giggle:

S1 is growing on me.  It's odd, it's eccentric, it's unruly at times, but it's such out-of-the-box lunacy that I'm actually enjoying now a lot more than I did in first run. 

Well, you're weird, so... :P 

Well I need to settle on an episode. Space Seed or City on the Edge. Or a more unusual choice. Might be nice to see Corbomite Maneuver again.  

IMO, "Corbomite Maneuver" would've made a much better pilot/premiere for the series.  

It's ST in a nutshell; seeming foe becomes friend, humanity is tested (a recurring theme in many ST series), Kirk bluffs his way out of a crisis, the characters show some of their establishing traits, etc.