Sehlat Vie

Star Trek Continues: General Discussion Thread (* Spoilers allowed; with warning*)

60 posts in this topic

I think New Voyages said it was calling t quits but still sort of planned to get the final episodes shot completed and released...but a lack of enthusiasm may mean they just sit on the shelf for a while until enthusiasm returns. I am indifferent to these episodes based on their latest couple releases and their overall lack of quality (in my eyes). Not really sure where they stand at this point. 

But maybe because funding was in place and they had a good relationship with CBS, and the paper trail proves they are totally non-profit, CBS is letting them wrap it up, maybe with a provision that they make no more. I don't really care either way, they have a chance to properly wrap things up and we get 4 more episodes from this great group...and I will happily watch and enjoy each one, and see them get their conclusion, something TOS missed out on. 

So apparently the new guidelines aren't affecting them overall? I hope they follow up on what happened to the Hood.

I wonder if New Voyages will release the final story it did with the now gone Richard Hatch guesting in the sequel to For the World is Hollow...

According to NV/Phase 2's Twitter feed (someone posted a while back),  they're officially shut down.  Their studios in NY are now a touring museum for fans.  They were having a lot of internal strife (which very much showed in their final, confused episode, "The Holiest Thing").   They were at this game a lot longer than STC (12 years) but they never quite matched STC's polish or professionalism, IMO. 

EDIT: I found a somewhat older source for the NV info, but it doesn't include the recent green lighting in STC's recent announcement, but yeah; apparently STNV/P2 is no longer producing episodes, and their sets were licensed by CBS for the tours: http://fanfilmfactor.com/2016/07/18/star-trek-new-voyages-calls-it-quits-kinda-while-star-trek-continues-continues-sorta/    I'm personally not on Twitter, so I couldn't personally verify that info; sorry.  I thought someone here (?) had posted it but I could be wrong.  According to their FaceBook page, they're continuing NV/P2 stories (such as "11th Hour") as eBooks.

As for STC?  I'm guessing they got some kind of special dispensation from CBS, given their adamnantly non-profit status and full transparency; not to mention their official endorsement from the Roddenberry estate.   

At any rate, I'm just glad they're back in production.   I don't care too much about what happened to the Hood; they've only got four more episodes to wrap things up, so I'd rather they not waste too much time backtracking.  Maybe a line of dialogue can explain it away, who knows...

Well, the end of the last episode did seem to leave it open as to some big terror that might be coming, so I don't know if a resolution will be as simple as a throwaway line. 

As to NV, that last episode is in the can (or so it seems) so to me it would be nice to see it, and with Hatch's passing I would think it would make it even more poignant. If they are shut down in terms of not doing anymore, what's the harm in just throwing it out there? Plus, I'd like to see what happens when Yolanda reaches it's destination.

It's sad that NV ended but to be honest all that with that last episode, from the 2 year delay to the way they tried to convince us all that this is now an alternate timeline where Kirk and Carol Marcus just meet for the first time years later than we know they did was just awful and wrong. I actually thought the idea that the ship was being changed part way to it's TMP look was a cool thing, and the hope for a CGI Arex looked good too. Just sad especially after how good Kitumba was. 

Yes, I liked Kitumba as well, but the three that followed were really not that good; the writing felt really hit and miss.  And Brian Goss' Kirk was really generic.   And I just can't wrap my brain around the ill-conceived mess that was "The Holiest Thing"; it was just wrong in every way.

And I'm not sure if the Richard Hatch epsiode was finished, but it would be nice to at least see whatever footage they had of him.  

But the most important thing to remember is that the sets are now being rented out for tours by CBS; that would pretty much put the kibosh on any further productions, since they no longer have access to their sets. 

I went back and looked atthe IndieGoGo campaign that funded these episodes, because I was curious if they had at some point actually said 13, or if that number was just made up in my head...based on what I've seen, it seems it was always their intention to produce 10 or 11. Can't wait!

While we were away....Star Trek Continues sent out their newsletter, which shined a few more details onto the finale episodes and where things stand with CBS.  According to them (and I believe them) they had at one point mulled the idea of 13 episodes, but decided to cut it short and focus on the final four episodes in order to not take advantage of the graces of CBS, and they make hints about Axanar causing all the strife to begin with.  They also maek it clear that CBS really is taking it all on a case by case basis, and that they don't have some special relationship with CBS that allows them to finish, they just have the non-profit status and have always been within the good graces of CBS. 

Interesting details about where fan films will go from here. I'm not bothered much, as I am just happy to see Continues finish out it's run, but it is all interesting nonetheless.

Today STC announced their guest stars for their upcoming episodes, Battestar Galactica's Anne Lockhart, The Expanse's   Cas Anvar, and 80s Doctor Who companion Nicola Bryant (Peri!). 

21 minutes ago, kenman said:

Today STC announced their guest stars for their upcoming episodes, Battestar Galactica's Anne Lockhart, The Expanse's   Cas Anvar, and 80s Doctor Who companion Nicola Bryant (Peri!). 

Well, I've met two of those three at various conventions.   Nice to see them all joining the STC party.   This series also does a wonderful job of hiring lots of faces familiar in scifi fandom circles;  it's good karma. :happy:

Its "friends we met at conventions" casting. I am fairly pleased about Bryant, just love my Doctor Who and Star trek worlds colliding. Also it means the Sixth Doctor's era has really invaded their take on classic Trek, which is rather funny. 

1 hour ago, kenman said:

Its "friends we met at conventions" casting. I am fairly pleased about Bryant, just love my Doctor Who and Star trek worlds colliding. Also it means the Sixth Doctor's era has really invaded their take on classic Trek, which is rather funny. 

I met both Nicola Bryant and Colin Baker at my first Gallifrey One convention in L.A. about 4 years ago.   Come to think of it, I'd actually met Colin Baker before that, at 2009 Comic Con; he'd called out to me when I was dressed as Fred Flintstone and called me over to his table.    Always liked him! :thumbup:

Also met BSG's Anne Lockhart at WonderCon about 3 years ago; she is a sweetheart.  Genuinely nice lady. 

Just watched the latest episode "Still Treads the Shadow," and it is another solid effort. No spiolers for now, as the episode gets it's official release tomorrow...so further discussion will have to wait.

3 hours ago, kenman said:

Just watched the latest episode "Still Treads the Shadow," and it is another solid effort. No spiolers for now, as the episode gets it's official release tomorrow...so further discussion will have to wait.

Saw it this afternoon (taking a break from the convention); and yes, it was a solid effort.  Not my favorite of the 8 so far, but I enjoyed it. 

I too, will resist any spoilerish talk till the official release tomorrow.  :angel_not:

Episode 8 is freely available now. :) I really enjoyed it, they just seem to get better and better at it. I guess I'll have to see all of them again at some point, not that that's a chore by any means.

Glad this series is still going. I remember being really intrigued by New Voyages, but my interest piqued right when they hit their huge hiatus of nothingness - on the same token, I didn't hope on the STC train because I was rather fearful it would fizzled out in the same fashion, but it seems to be going extremely well and I look forward to trying it after I can go through TOS again.

I'm curious what their long-term game plan is. Hopefully they can continue as long as they wish, since they're non-profit. It's devastating the whole Axanar thing had to sink the Trek fan film world. The passion of fans was inspiring to me.

6 hours ago, JVM said:

Glad this series is still going. I remember being really intrigued by New Voyages, but my interest piqued right when they hit their huge hiatus of nothingness - on the same token, I didn't hope on the STC train because I was rather fearful it would fizzled out in the same fashion, but it seems to be going extremely well and I look forward to trying it after I can go through TOS again.

I'm curious what their long-term game plan is. Hopefully they can continue as long as they wish, since they're non-profit. It's devastating the whole Axanar thing had to sink the Trek fan film world. The passion of fans was inspiring to me.

From what I understand, STC is wrapped (got this from a cast member recently, as well as the internet); they're just finishing post production on the final 3 and the series will officially end after E11 is released. 

8 hours ago, JVM said:

You'll be able to learn their gameplan by the end of this year! According to the STC team all episodes are wrapped and in post production, and we will have all 3 pf the final episodes released by the end of 2017. 

And while it is a shame that Axanar ruined the whole thing, I am not into fan films enough for it to totally bum me out. Oddly enough Prelude to Axanar was the very first fan film I could sit through, which lead to me watching Continues and New Voyages (one is vastly superior to the other in my opinion).

I enjoyed Prelude to Axanar, and I'm really sad they pretty much spoiled things for ST fan movies, with the single exception of STC. I'm just so happy they'll get to complete the 11 episodes.

4 hours ago, maneth said:

I enjoyed Prelude to Axanar, and I'm really sad they pretty much spoiled things for ST fan movies, with the single exception of STC. I'm just so happy they'll get to complete the 11 episodes.

I don't understand why the Axanar production team was so cavalier and greedy when they were obvously in the wrong legally speaking.  I much prefer what ST: Continues is doing anyways. 

IMG_3514.thumb.PNG.ca452435e25d792410e20397b4644aa1.PNG

Figured I would share this relevant news, wr have the approx. dates for the final 3 episodes of the series (Exact times I think depends on what timeslots they get at each Convention for screening the premieres of each). 

Looking forward to seeing how their two part finale wraps up the Five Year Mission. 

15 minutes ago, kenman said:

IMG_3514.thumb.PNG.ca452435e25d792410e20397b4644aa1.PNG

Figured I would share this relevant news, wr have the approx. dates for the final 3 episodes of the series (Exact times I think depends on what timeslots they get at each Convention for screening the premieres of each). 

Looking forward to seeing how their two part finale wraps up the Five Year Mission. 

Shucks....too bad I'm not going to be anywhere near those those places on any of those dates.  :(

However, I heard from a 'source' (hehe) that Episode 9 may get a theatrical screening near the big Vegas Star Trek convention in early August.  I will be there, so if this does happen?  I will definitely attend. :thumbup:

STC just announced that a guest star in episode 9 is John De Lancie! Neat!

I just had a thought of when they come to the end of the run in 3 episodes what will become of Dr. McKenna considering she obviously isn't in the films. Really hope they don't kill her off.

12 hours ago, John32070 said:

I just had a thought of when they come to the end of the run in 3 episodes what will become of Dr. McKenna considering she obviously isn't in the films. Really hope they don't kill her off.

I sincerely hope not.  I really like the character, and I think she actually gets to do a more pronounced job of counseling than was ever afforded to poor Marina Sirtis' Troi.

Here's hoping that maybe she just left Starfleet for one reason or the other.  Killing her off would be both unnecessary and needlessly tragic.  Besides, Michele Specht is a fun lady; I've had the pleasure of meeting her a couple times and she is the life of the party.  At any rate, I really doubt her fiancé Vic Mignogna would do that to her. :P

On June 14, 2017 at 10:27 AM, kenman said:

STC just announced that a guest star in episode 9 is John De Lancie! Neat!

More De Lancie, always a good thing.  :thumbup:

I just saw #8 -- "Still Treads the Shadow" -- and I enjoyed it.  I know it came out awhile back, but I was saving it for a day when I'd need it, since you only get one chance to watch a new TOS episode for the first time.

I thought it was AMAZING that this episode was written by Judy Burns, who was half of the team that wrote "The Tholian Web."  Writing a follow-up to an episode she wrote in 1968 -- that's just WOW. 

I had my usual mixed reaction to the guest star.  On the one hand, I think it's a wonderful thing that the STC team is trying to mitigate the sexism of the TOS era by adding more women to the show. :thumbsup2:  On the other hand, I'd never seen Avi before and didn't care about her, whereas I've cared about the TOS regulars since 1969, so I usually have a "Who's SHE, and why would I care" feeling about new characters.  And since Avi was a scientist, she was doing a lot of things that Spock would have done in a regular episode.  Since I think STC doesn't have enough Spock, anyway, I hate it when something reduces his role even further.  :(

But watching old Kirk wrestle with his loneliness and feelings of betrayal and come down on the side of right is the kind of thing I watch Star Trek for, so it was great to see that.

This was a big showcase for Vic, since he was both the regular captain and the main "guest" star. ;)  Of course, given all the work he puts in on these, I can't fault him for wanting a chance to show off a little. 

I spent the whole episode looking at the patch on old Kirk's shirt, seeing that it was different from everyone else's patch, and waiting for the big reveal that the different patch meant that he was from an alternate universe and wasn't really their Kirk.  That never happened, so I was left wondering WHY the costumers chose to give old Kirk a different patch.  It's not like we couldn't tell the old one from the young one without it. :P

Right before beaming over to the Defiant, Kirk told Spock that if he vanished this time, Spock shouldn't put the ship in danger to rescue him.  Then the whole episode was about how hurt, betrayed, and abandoned old Kirk felt when the Enterprise didn't rescue him.  So if Kirk is rescued, he thinks it was a mistake, and if Kirk isn't rescued, he thinks it was a mistake?  It's a good thing Spock's a Vulcan; a human might have trouble with that damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation, but Spock can just think that the silly humans are being illogical AGAIN. :)

Anyway, no episode is ever perfect, but I enjoyed this one!

Hey, welcome back Corylea!  :thumbup:
And yes, I enjoyed it too.  

A good friend of mine (the friend who introduced me to my wife, in fact) took a writing class in college years ago that was taught by no less than... Judy Burns.   I was glad to see her back in the fold as well.

44 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Hey, welcome back Corylea!  :thumbup:

Thank you!  I'm always eager to talk about Star Trek with people; unfortunately, I'm rarely in good enough shape to actually interact.  But I'm here today!

A good friend of mine (the friend who introduced me to my wife, in fact) took a writing class in college years ago that was taught by no less than... Judy Burns.   I was glad to see her back in the fold as well.

Oh, nifty!  I had no idea that she taught.  Where was this?

So, what did you think about the uniform patch thing?  I'm sure I wasn't the only one who noticed it; was I the only one who thought it was going to be relevant in some way?

30 minutes ago, Corylea said:

Thank you!  I'm always eager to talk about Star Trek with people; unfortunately, I'm rarely in good enough shape to actually interact.  But I'm here today!

Oh, nifty!  I had no idea that she taught.  Where was this?

So, what did you think about the uniform patch thing?  I'm sure I wasn't the only one who noticed it; was I the only one who thought it was going to be relevant in some way?

To be honest; I didn’t notice till you’d mentioned it. :laugh:

And she taught a series of writing lectures at University of California at Riverside; I used to live a few blocks from the campus.