Sehlat Vie

Star Trek Continues: General Discussion Thread (* Spoilers allowed; with warning*)

60 posts in this topic

Just saw Episode VII: "Embracing the Winds" and I realized that we very much need to have one of these.   I don't know how long this wonderful series will continue (given CBS' new guidelines and the Axanar issue), but I wanted to create a non-episode specific 'catch-all' thread for discussion of each new episode, and of the cast or any other aspect of this terrific series.

As for "Embracing the Winds"...

Once again, they did a phenomenal job.   I can't or shouldn't really talk about it too much; not just because of spoilers, but because I was privileged to have a donor preview password to view it a day early, but I'll just say it was on a par with the STC team's usual high-caliber of work.  

******* MINOR, SPOILERISH TALK OF E:7 "EMBRACING THE WINDS" ******

Maybe not my favorite episode of the 7 so far, but nowhere near disappointing either.   Feels very similar to TOS' "Court Martial," but only by setting; the issue tackled here is very different (and very current).   And once again, this timely social topic is handled in a very Star Trek-way (not spoon-feeding answers, but rather to encourage debate).  

0a1dc0c31feb5dfb55092f5f5a8c9fc8.jpg

PS:  Nice to see my old boyhood crush Erin Gray (Wilma of "Buck Rogers") returning as "Commodore Gray."  She's still as lovely as ever. :inlove:

I'll just say it again:  pretty much the only fan stuff I've ever watched all the way through without cringing.

The latest is a solid episode...I believe it will be released to the public online tomorrow, so I will reserve any talk of the content specifics until then.  I'll just say I like that it addressed an issue I had with a TOS episode, and I do like that they seem to be moving towards an end in subtle ways.  If they do get to finish their 13 episodes I look forward to seeing it all play out!

The latest is a solid episode...I believe it will be released to the public online tomorrow, so I will reserve any talk of the content specifics until then.  I'll just say I like that it addressed an issue I had with a TOS episode, and I do like that they seem to be moving towards an end in subtle ways.  If they do get to finish their 13 episodes I look forward to seeing it all play out!

Me too!

Just watched the episode and it was fantastic!, not going to give any spoilers but it's about time that kind of issue was brought up in the star trek universe

Just watched the episode and it was fantastic!, not going to give any spoilers but it's about time that kind of issue was brought up in the star trek universe

You can put spoilers, but just be sure you put some kind of warning in bold type or whatnot.  

But yes, I agree with you and Kenman; it was a long overdue oversight for Star Trek to address (kind of undoes some of the Janice Lester mess, too).

I just watched it. I felt that it left questions unanswered about Garrett and her character. 

A couple of incidents were brought up which called her conduct into question and she blamed Tellarite superiors in one case and refused to answer questions in another, pointing to prior statements. If those were the answers that she gave me, I'd have serious doubts about her readiness for command. I was waiting for some development, that new evidence would come to light which would either exonerate or implicate her, but no clarification came. I was left not sure whether she was fit for command, which had nothing to do with her gender. I don't think that was what this episode was shooting for...

I was having a hard time buying that the Federation wouldn't have a female captain by that point, Tellarite wishes or not. During the original run of TOS this definitely this would have been an important issue, but 250 years from now?  There was a contemporary debate on affirmative action so they did debate some social issues, usually a good thing for Star Trek.

Also, as an electrical student, I laughed pretty hard when Chekov was getting electrocuted. There's no way they would have high current flowing through a control panel's switches like that. We have parts like transistors and field effect transistors to isolate the high current from the switches. They don't shunt high current directly through small switches which could melt under the current. I know I'm one of the few fans that are going to catch it. I just thought I'd point it out.

I just watched it. I felt that it left questions unanswered about Garrett and her character. 

Hidden Content

******** SPOILERS FOR STC E7 *********

I was having a hard time buying that the Federation wouldn't have a female captain by that point, Tellarite wishes or not

OK, first off; in dialogue, Kirk says that there have ALWAYS been female captains throughout Starfleet history.  It was only recently (with the introduction of the Constitution class ships) that politics of other Federation members, namely the Tellarites, began to play into Starfleet decision making.   It's no different than women who are doing UN ambassadorial missions in Saudi Arabia and are forced to abide local (and seemingly misogynistic) customs/behaviors.  

But Kirk makes it clear that Starfleet ALWAYS had female captains; just not of the newer ships...

Also, as an electrical student, I laughed pretty hard when Chekov was getting electrocuted. There's no way they would have high current flowing through a control panel's switches like that. We have parts like transistors and field effect transistors to isolate the high current from the switches. They don't shunt high current directly through small switches which could melt under the current. I know I'm one of the few fans that are going to catch it. I just thought I'd point it out.

Yeah, but how many times in Star Trek has that happened, really?

Uhura got electrocuted by her panel a couple times (most memorably in "Charlie X" and TWOK, during the Kobayashi Maru simulation).  Sulu was nearly killed when his console shorted out and electrocuted him in "City on the Edge..." and even Chekov was burned when V'ger probed his security console, causing an electrical overload in TMP.    It was inaccurate, yes, but no worse than is precedent in the series.   It wasn't as though STC created this particular cliche.  

I saw that more as an homage than a glaring inaccuracy (which is really no more ludicrous than sound in a vacuum or 'seeing' faster-than-light travel, etc). 

A couple of incidents were brought up which called her conduct into question and she blamed Tellarite superiors in one case and refused to answer questions in another, pointing to prior statements. If those were the answers that she gave me, I'd have serious doubts about her readiness for command. I was waiting for some development, that new evidence would come to light which would either exonerate or implicate her, but no clarification came. I was left not sure whether she was fit for command, which had nothing to do with her gender. I don't think that was what this episode was shooting for...

Riker still got a command after his role in the "Pegasus" affair was sussed out.   Kirk got a command after half of the Farragut crew were slaughtered in "Obsession" (admittedly, that wasn't Kirk's fault, but even HE was doubting his own handling of that assignment).   And as Garrett said, she's already answered those same queries multiple times before; it was on the record.    I don't blame her being a bit miffed as answering the same questions over and over again...

My only major nits of the story were one of convenience; the USS Hood is destroyed, thus negating the decision.   I suppose it could be argued that was often how complex issues were presented in TOS; no resolution, just allowing the audience to chew on the issue and draw their own conclusions.    So I give that one a pass in hindsight. 

There is also a minor nit of heavy foreshadowing.   This episode (more than others) seemed to have more than the usual number of nods to the future than STC usually does.  Sometimes it was subtle, other times it wasn't (did the other candidate for the captaincy HAVE to be an ancestor of the Enterprise C's Captain Rachel Garrett??  Really?).

But again, these are minor nits.  
The episode is head-and-shoulders over most other fan film efforts.   And a lot of that success comes from hiring 'real' actors, such as Buffy veteran Clare Kramer, and Buck Rogers' veteran (and former boyhood crush of mine) Erin Gray.   They put a bit more spark and zeal in their characters than is typical for fan film efforts (some fan films are embarrassingly amateurish in their acting; the "Star Trek Phase II/New Voyages" series was particularly guilty of this sin).  

The fact that STC employs almost ALL professional actors (including voice actors, like Vic Mignogna and Michele Specht) is one of the things that automatically elevates it to another tier, IMO. 

Great episode, I really loved it! I really, really, really hope they're allowed to make the set of 13.

Watched it last night. 

Yes, it does give a different spin on Lester's comment about no women commanding and so that's a nice way to show it's not being ignored. I did feel that we should have delved more into Garrett. 

It also sounds like they may be setting something up for future episode concerning what happened to the Hood. 

Why would Starfleet decommission the Constitution?

Why would Starfleet decommission the Constitution?

Well, assuming the year of STC is the 4th year of the mission (say, 2269), and the Enterprise herself was launched in 2245 (according to Memory Alpha & the Trek Encyclopedia) that would mean the Constitution was launched before then (let's say... oh, 2244).   It would make her 25 years old.  At least a quarter century or so.  And one can assume that since there were plans to refit the class later on (TMP), as well as more innovative classes of ships down the road (the Excelsior class, for example), the original Constitution may just be seen as a dinosaur.   More valuable as a museum piece than an active vessel.

And a quarter century is a healthy lifespan.   Who knows how arduous her missions were?   Maybe they took their toll on her...

It might also be another bit of insight into why we never see active-duty Constitution class ships (refit or otherwise) in the 24th century when the Excelsior, Soyuz and Miranda classes (all 23rd century designs) are still going strong.  Maybe it just wasn't that good a ship compared to later classes... 

Hidden Content

I was having a hard time buying that the Federation wouldn't have a female captain by that point, Tellarite wishes or not

OK, first off; in dialogue, Kirk says that there have ALWAYS been female captains throughout Starfleet history.  It was only recently (with the introduction of the Constitution class ships) that politics of other Federation members, namely the Tellarites, began to play into Starfleet decision making.   It's no different than women who are doing UN ambassadorial missions in Saudi Arabia and are forced to abide local (and seemingly misogynistic) customs/behaviors.  

But Kirk makes it clear that Starfleet ALWAYS had female captains; just not of the newer ships...

Uhura got electrocuted by her panel a couple times (most memorably in "Charlie X" and TWOK, during the Kobayashi Maru simulation).  Sulu was nearly killed when his console shorted out and electrocuted him in "City on the Edge..." and even Chekov was burned when V'ger probed his security console, causing an electrical overload in TMP.    It was inaccurate, yes, but no worse than is precedent in the series.   It wasn't as though STC created this particular cliche.  

I saw that more as an homage than a glaring inaccuracy (which is really no more ludicrous than sound in a vacuum or 'seeing' faster-than-light travel, etc). 

Riker still got a command after his role in the "Pegasus" affair was sussed out.   Kirk got a command after half of the Farragut crew were slaughtered in "Obsession" (admittedly, that wasn't Kirk's fault, but even HE was doubting his own handling of that assignment).   And as Garrett said, she's already answered those same queries multiple times before; it was on the record.    I don't blame her being a bit miffed as answering the same questions over and over again...

My only major nits of the story were one of convenience; the USS Hood is destroyed, thus negating the decision.   I suppose it could be argued that was often how complex issues were presented in TOS; no resolution, just allowing the audience to chew on the issue and draw their own conclusions.    So I give that one a pass in hindsight. 

There is also a minor nit of heavy foreshadowing.   This episode (more than others) seemed to have more than the usual number of nods to the future than STC usually does.  Sometimes it was subtle, other times it wasn't (did the other candidate for the captaincy HAVE to be an ancestor of the Enterprise C's Captain Rachel Garrett??  Really?).

The episode is head-and-shoulders over most other fan film efforts.   And a lot of that success comes from hiring 'real' actors, such as Buffy veteran Clare Kramer, and Buck Rogers' veteran (and former boyhood crush of mine) Erin Gray.   They put a bit more spark and zeal in their characters than is typical for fan film efforts (some fan films are embarrassingly amateurish in their acting; the "Star Trek Phase II/New Voyages" series was particularly guilty of this sin).  

The fact that STC employs almost ALL professional actors (including voice actors, like Vic Mignogna and Michele Specht) is one of the things that automatically elevates it to another tier, IMO. 

Yeah I know the control panel overload has been done before and it's canonical, to this electrical engineering student it's pretty funny though because transistors were invented well before TOS aired. When I thought about it, it really shows how engineers approached control systems differently in the 1960's with a lack of computerized interfaces. Instead of having a computerized menu system which 're-uses' buttons for different functions depending on which menu you are on, you would have a separate button for every function which of course takes up way more physical real estate. 

They only had 7 constitution class vessels didn't they? It wouldn't be very unusual for there not to be a female captain of that class of ship.

I was waiting for some kind of payoff or resolution to the allegations against her, but instead the resolution was the destruction of the Hood. I thought that there would have been something else brought to light, maybe for example proof that the Tellarites fudged the reports because she was a woman. When it was Kirk's turn to vote, I didn't know how he'd vote. That she was a woman was not a deciding factor to him. How he weighed the allegations against her record, that would have been interesting to see. There also was no evidence of any bias against Garrett for being a woman anywhere in the episode. She makes allegations against the Tellarites, but while believable, who knows if she was just seeing it from her point of view or if indeed it was the case.

As for Riker and the Pegasus, that's exactly what I was looking for. Picard was extremely suspicious of Riker when he clammed up. I thought Kirk should have been too. She doesn't want to answer questions? Fine, she can go back to her previous assignment. She's bucking for a promotion here, not trying to save her job.

As for Riker and the Pegasus, that's exactly what I was looking for. Picard was extremely suspicious of Riker when he clammed up. I thought Kirk should have been too. She doesn't want to answer questions? Fine, she can go back to her previous assignment. She's bucking for a promotion here, not trying to save her job.

I thought Kirk became more suspicious of her when she clammed up.  He went from pulling for her (albeit possibly just to keep Spock) to being completely unsure if she was fit for command.  I thought that was obvious in the episode. 

I thought Kirk became more suspicious of her when she clammed up.  He went from pulling for her (albeit possibly just to keep Spock) to being completely unsure if she was fit for command.  I thought that was obvious in the episode. 

Hidden Content

Yeah I know the control panel overload has been done before and it's canonical, to this electrical engineering student it's pretty funny though because transistors were invented well before TOS aired. When I thought about it, it really shows how engineers approached control systems differently in the 1960's with a lack of computerized interfaces. Instead of having a computerized menu system which 're-uses' buttons for different functions depending on which menu you are on, you would have a separate button for every function which of course takes up way more physical real estate. 

They only had 7 constitution class vessels didn't they? It wouldn't be very unusual for there not to be a female captain of that class of ship.

I was waiting for some kind of payoff or resolution to the allegations against her, but instead the resolution was the destruction of the Hood. I thought that there would have been something else brought to light, maybe for example proof that the Tellarites fudged the reports because she was a woman. When it was Kirk's turn to vote, I didn't know how he'd vote. That she was a woman was not a deciding factor to him. How he weighed the allegations against her record, that would have been interesting to see. There also was no evidence of any bias against Garrett for being a woman anywhere in the episode. She makes allegations against the Tellarites, but while believable, who knows if she was just seeing it from her point of view or if indeed it was the case.

12 Connies in the class-- "There are only 12 like it (The E) in the fleet." -- Kirk, "Tomorrow is Yesterday."

Oh, dear.  I didn't watch this episode when it came out (even though as a donor, I could have watched it early) because I was saving it for a day when I really NEEDED a new TOS episode.

Given that I was shocked and horrified by the results of yesterday's election, I thought that would be a great time to watch the newest STC.  The title "Embrace the Winds" didn't give any hints as to what the episode would be about, and as it turned out, this was really NOT the episode I needed today.  While I was mourning the loss of a female presidential candidate against an opponent who I saw as FAR less qualified than she, "Embrace the Winds" gave me an episode about a female candidate for captain who thought she was being passed over because of her gender.  That hit a little too close to home, today of all days!

I usually like it that Star Trek has social commentary, and I usually like it that STC continues that proud tradition.  But I could have wished that this episode had talked about a DIFFERENT social issue ... or at least that I'd watched it on a different day, not a day on which I was craving comfort.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the episode very much and thought it was one of the stronger entries in the series.  I did think it strange, though, that the Vulcan member of the committee could taunt Spock for having feelings, and this was pretty much glossed over.  Hey, wait a minute!  While we're talking about prejudice, how about THAT?!  Yes, I know Kirk objected, but his objection seemed kind of mild, compared to what the Vulcan admiral did, and the admiral didn't admit any wrongdoing.

Even though Chekov has always been my least favorite of the TOS characters, it was still heartwarming to see him promoted to lieutenant.  (Though it did seem kind of odd that Scotty would do it while both Kirk and Spock were away; I'd think that Scotty would want to talk over such a big step with Kirk, and I'd think Chekov would want his commanding officers to be there for his promotion.  But that's a fairly small quibble.)

The one thing I don't like about STC is that it's usually almost all Kirk without enough Spock; I was glad to have some actual Spock in this episode.  More, more! ;-)

Edited by Corylea

Oh, dear.  I didn't watch this episode when it came out (even though as a donor, I could have watched it early) because I was saving it for a day when I really NEEDED a new TOS episode.

Given that I was shocked and horrified by the results of yesterday's election, I thought that would be a great time to watch the newest STC.  The title "Embrace the Winds" didn't give any hints as to what the episode would be about, and as it turned out, this was really NOT the episode I needed today.  While I was mourning the loss of a female presidential candidate against an opponent who I saw as FAR less qualified than she, "Embrace the Winds" gave me an episode about a female candidate for captain who thought she was being passed over because of her gender.  That hit a little too close to home, today of all days!

I usually like it that Star Trek has social commentary, and I usually like it that STC continues that proud tradition.  But I could have wished that this episode had talked about a DIFFERENT social issue ... or at least that I'd watched it on a different day, not a day on which I was craving comfort.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the episode very much and thought it was one of the stronger entries in the series.  I did think it strange, though, that the Vulcan member of the committee could taunt Spock for having feelings, and this was pretty much glossed over.  Hey, wait a minute!  While we're talking about prejudice, how about THAT?!  Yes, I know Kirk objected, but his objection seemed kind of mild, compared to what the Vulcan admiral did, and the admiral didn't admit any wrongdoing.

Even though Chekov has always been my least favorite of the TOS characters, it was still heartwarming to see him promoted to lieutenant.  (Though it did seem kind of odd that Scotty would do it while both Kirk and Spock were away; I'd think that Scotty would want to talk over such a big step with Kirk, and I'd think Chekov would want his commanding officers to be there for his promotion.  But that's a fairly small quibble.)

The one thing I don't like about STC is that it's usually almost all Kirk without enough Spock; I was glad to have some actual Spock in this episode.  More, more! ;-)

Hey, Corylea!  Nice to see you again (especially after last night... it's really nice to see all the friendly 'faces/avatars' I can right now).

And yes, I enjoyed it very much as well.  However, with regard to the Vulcan admiral taunting Spock's emotion?  There is precedence;  the 'image' of Surak in TOS' The Savage Curtain did something similar ("The uh, image of Surak read in your face what is in your mind, Spock...").   We also saw other Vulcans in ENT point out T'Pol's emotions as well.  They do get a bit snarky with each with regard to showing emotion.... ah, those wacky but lovable Vulcans.  :happy:

PS:  Come to think of it, the Vulcans on the Science Academy board also (very much) taunted Spock for his emotions in ST09... 

Hey, Corylea!  Nice to see you again (especially after last night... it's really nice to see all the friendly 'faces/avatars' I can right now).

Yes!  It's nice to go to a place where people are civil and care about the state of the world.

And yes, I enjoyed it very much as well.  However, with regard to the Vulcan admiral taunting Spock's emotion?  There is precedence;  the 'image' of Surak in TOS' The Savage Curtain did something similar ("The uh, image of Surak read in your face what is in your mind, Spock...").   We also saw other Vulcans in ENT point out T'Pol's emotions as well.  They do get a bit snarky with each with regard to showing emotion.... ah, those wacky but lovable Vulcans.  :happy:

PS:  Come to think of it, the Vulcans on the Science Academy board also (very much) taunted Spock for his emotions in ST09... 

Yes, but none of those people were Starfleet admirals!  There are things you can do as a private citizen that are inappropriate to do when you're in a position of authority over someone.  Just as it's okay for a private citizen to ask someone for a date, but it's inappropriate for a boss to ask a subordinate for a date, so too may it be okay for Vulcans to police one another's emotions in a Vulcan context, but it's inappropriate for them to do so in a Starfleet context, as superior to subordinate.  At least, that's the way it looks to me.  

Yes!  It's nice to go to a place where people are civil and care about the state of the world.

Yes, but none of those people were Starfleet admirals!  There are things you can do as a private citizen that are inappropriate to do when you're in a position of authority over someone.  Just as it's okay for a private citizen to ask someone for a date, but it's inappropriate for a boss to ask a subordinate for a date, so too may it be okay for Vulcans to police one another's emotions in a Vulcan context, but it's inappropriate for them to do so in a Starfleet context, as superior to subordinate.  At least, that's the way it looks to me.  

^
Good point.

https://m.facebook.com/StarTrekContinues/photos/a.368013926565463.92376.333296680037188/1455408167826028/?type=3&source=54

It is happening! They are finishing up their run with 11 episodes it seems! They had initially said something about doing 13 I think, but as a fan and as a donor I will not complain if they get to make their conclusion the way they want to with just a run of 11, not a bad number! 

Also, in April we are getting episode 8! And then the next three throughout the year as the complete each episode! So very pleased to know they are coming soon.

Edited by kenman

https://m.facebook.com/StarTrekContinues/photos/a.368013926565463.92376.333296680037188/1455408167826028/?type=3&source=54

It is happening! They are finishing up their run with 11 episodes it seems! They had initially said something about doing 13 I think, but as a fan and as a donor I will not complain if they get to make their conclusion the way they want to with just a run of 11, not a bad number! 

Also, in April we are getting episode 8! And then the next three throughout the year as the complete each episode! So very pleased to know they are coming soon.

I just got the email!  

I am beyond thrilled to hear this!  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I just got a ambiguous but hopeful reply from the ST Continues on their Instagram feed; they said they might be (?) at WonderCon in Anaheim later next month.   I'm going to be there, so I hope to see them again; I've met them twice at L.A's Gallifrey One conventions (in 2015 and 2016) and once in Las Vegas last summer (the 50th anniversary con) and they're absolutely wonderful people.  

These are some of my own pics I've taken when I've met them at previous conventions:

c030e63b08467612d0264ef8454dd426.jpg7452c0242c0e8bf1986a21d967ea9c7f.jpg4c711e3b1807904f3737098ffe458a45.jpgf50cc4ddd5ac40ce075d0e6352ae2236.jpg

I wish the STC guys all the best, and I'm OVER THE MOON happy that they get to finish this series.  :thumbup:

Yay! This is wonderful news. I'm over the moon.

So apparently the new guidelines aren't affecting them overall? I hope they follow up on what happened to the Hood.

I wonder if New Voyages will release the final story it did with the now gone Richard Hatch guesting in the sequel to For the World is Hollow...

So apparently the new guidelines aren't affecting them overall? I hope they follow up on what happened to the Hood.

I wonder if New Voyages will release the final story it did with the now gone Richard Hatch guesting in the sequel to For the World is Hollow...

According to NV/Phase 2's Twitter feed (someone posted a while back),  they're officially shut down.  Their studios in NY are now a touring museum for fans.  They were having a lot of internal strife (which very much showed in their final, confused episode, "The Holiest Thing").   They were at this game a lot longer than STC (12 years) but they never quite matched STC's polish or professionalism, IMO. 

EDIT: I found a somewhat older source for the NV info, but it doesn't include the recent green lighting in STC's recent announcement, but yeah; apparently STNV/P2 is no longer producing episodes, and their sets were licensed by CBS for the tours: http://fanfilmfactor.com/2016/07/18/star-trek-new-voyages-calls-it-quits-kinda-while-star-trek-continues-continues-sorta/    I'm personally not on Twitter, so I couldn't personally verify that info; sorry.  I thought someone here (?) had posted it but I could be wrong.  According to their FaceBook page, they're continuing NV/P2 stories (such as "11th Hour") as eBooks.

As for STC?  I'm guessing they got some kind of special dispensation from CBS, given their adamnantly non-profit status and full transparency; not to mention their official endorsement from the Roddenberry estate.   

At any rate, I'm just glad they're back in production.   I don't care too much about what happened to the Hood; they've only got four more episodes to wrap things up, so I'd rather they not waste too much time backtracking.  Maybe a line of dialogue can explain it away, who knows...

Edited by Sehlat Vie
New relevant information

According to NV/Phase 2's Twitter feed (someone posted a while back),  they're officially shut down.  Their studios in NY are now a touring museum for fans.  They were having a lot of internal strife (which very much showed in their final, confused episode, "The Holiest Thing").   They were at this game a lot longer than STC (12 years) but they never quite matched STC's polish or professionalism, IMO. 

EDIT: I found a somewhat older source for the NV info, but it doesn't include the recent green lighting in STC's recent announcement, but yeah; apparently STNV/P2 is no longer producing episodes, and their sets were licensed by CBS for the tours: http://fanfilmfactor.com/2016/07/18/star-trek-new-voyages-calls-it-quits-kinda-while-star-trek-continues-continues-sorta/    I'm personally not on Twitter, so I couldn't personally verify that info; sorry.  I thought someone here (?) had posted it but I could be wrong.  According to their FaceBook page, they're continuing NV/P2 stories (such as "11th Hour") as eBooks.

As for STC?  I'm guessing they got some kind of special dispensation from CBS, given their adamnantly non-profit status and full transparency; not to mention their official endorsement from the Roddenberry estate.   

At any rate, I'm just glad they're back in production.   I don't care too much about what happened to the Hood; they've only got four more episodes to wrap things up, so I'd rather they not waste too much time backtracking.  Maybe a line of dialogue can explain it away, who knows...

Well, the end of the last episode did seem to leave it open as to some big terror that might be coming, so I don't know if a resolution will be as simple as a throwaway line. 

As to NV, that last episode is in the can (or so it seems) so to me it would be nice to see it, and with Hatch's passing I would think it would make it even more poignant. If they are shut down in terms of not doing anymore, what's the harm in just throwing it out there? Plus, I'd like to see what happens when Yolanda reaches it's destination.

It's sad that NV ended but to be honest all that with that last episode, from the 2 year delay to the way they tried to convince us all that this is now an alternate timeline where Kirk and Carol Marcus just meet for the first time years later than we know they did was just awful and wrong. I actually thought the idea that the ship was being changed part way to it's TMP look was a cool thing, and the hope for a CGI Arex looked good too. Just sad especially after how good Kitumba was.