Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr.Picard

30 Years in 2017

124 posts in this topic

Sigh.

I would have been happy to deal with that for 5 more years and 4 more movies.

Me, too, believe me. I love the character, so much that I do tend to make it a point to bring her into my writing whenever possible. Because she deserves it. And she deserved better back then, too, instead of vanishing/being written out of the show without even a word as to what happened to the character.

Sigh.

Me, too, believe me. I love the character, so much that I do tend to make it a point to bring her into my writing whenever possible. Because she deserves it. And she deserved better back then, too, instead of vanishing/being written out of the show without even a word as to what happened to the character.

That was the worst part, particularly since they spend a good bit of "Unnatural Selection" talking about what a plum assignment that the E and serving with Picard was for her.

Edited by prometheus59650

Sigh.

That was the worst part, particularly since they spend a good bit of "Unnatural Selection" talking about what a plum assignment that the E and serving with Picard was.

I can REALLY relate to her admiring Jean-Luc from afar and all. ;) 

And yes, the two of them definitely had something going, "Unnatural Selection" does a beautiful job of showing how he starts to really appreciate her and how he's determined to save her. And how he hugs her at the end - it's just the sweetest little moment.  

It's really unfortunate how the character was kicked out at the end of the season. And in what many fans (myself excluded) call one of the worst episodes in the whole history of Trek, no less. 

It's really unfortunate how the character was kicked out at the end of the season. And in what many fans (myself excluded) call one of the worst episodes in the whole history of Trek, no less. 

My biggest problem with "Shades of Grey" is just that Riker seems to have no memories of life to draw from before "Encounter at Farpoint."

It's almost as if he didn't exist before that. ;)  

It's really unfortunate how the character was kicked out at the end of the season. And in what many fans (myself excluded) call one of the worst episodes in the whole history of Trek, no less. 

My biggest problem with "Shades of Grey" is just that Riker seems to have no memories of life to draw from before "Encounter at Farpoint."

Well his life had no real MEANING before he met his beloved Jean-Luc. That's why. ;) 

Well his life had no real MEANING before he met his beloved Jean-Luc. That's why. ;) 

Well....ummmmm...that is a potential explanation. :laugh:

Well....ummmmm...that is a potential explanation. :laugh:

Slash goggles can explain even the biggest plot holes sometimes! :laugh: 

LOL. That they can. Sometimes that's the best reason for them to be there at all. :)

Ah, season 2. :inlove: Forever my all-time favorite TNG season. :inlove: Don't get me started, haha!

And yes, Pulaski for the win!

tumblr_nakc4b2fY81qjp723o1_400.gif

^
SO THIS!!

And yes, I love "Conspiracy" too.  Even before my 'rediscovery' of S1.   I used to have "Conspiracy" on a double-episode LaserDisc with "The Neutral Zone."   This was WAAAYYY back in the early '90s. 

And check out the new avatars on Sim and Prometheus!   

tumblr_n99owvCBXz1sgl0ajo1_250.gif

Thought a change was in order to celebrate 10.000. :)

Edited by prometheus59650

Thought a change was in order to celebrate 10.000. :)

Congratulations!!  :thumbup:

The Roddenberry Facebook page has decided to honor TNG by having a 365 Project for the show in honor of its 30th anniversary, just like they did with TOS last year.

I'm really pleased about this - SOMEONE is FINALLY giving TNG some well-deserved anniversary love. :) 

The Roddenberry Facebook page has decided to honor TNG by having a 365 Project for the show in honor of its 30th anniversary, just like they did with TOS last year.

I'm really pleased about this - SOMEONE is FINALLY giving TNG some well-deserved anniversary love. :) 

Still remember the premiere night vividly.  I think I was more excited about ST returning to its roots in weekly television than I was for the new movies.  

Still remember the premiere night vividly.  I think I was more excited about ST returning to its roots in weekly television than I was for the new movies.  

I'd say TNG is definitely worth getting excited about! /not biased at all

Posted (edited)

Well, the year of TNG's 30th anniversary is only 3 days old, so don't blame people for not being quick enough. ;)

I guess for me personally, TNG's 30th anniversary is a bigger event than TOS's 50th anniversary. Perhaps because I was around when TNG was new, and I kind of witnessed it being new myself, while TOS had already been there. I still vividly remember the amazement I felt to see a brand new ST show on tv. I was right there from day one, I witnessed it "happening" (like the Fall of the Berlin Wall around the same time).

But then, I did not see TNG before 1990, when it aired in Germany. So perhaps I should better wait 3 more years before I party? :P

The first episode of Star Trek I ever saw, though, was TOS "The Menagerie, Part 2" in November 1987 -- so I guess I should open a bottle or two for its 30th anniversary by the end of the year. :)

Edited by Sim

^ There was a lot of fuss before TOS' 50th anniversary even before it took place, so I am glaring at them for being so quiet about TNG's 30th. The official Trek page published a tiny paragraph (sigh) in which it claimed there will be reunion conventions AND "memorabilia".

I'll believe either when I see it. *glares* :P 

Posted (edited)

Star Trek: The Next Generation premiered late in September 1987 just a few months prior to my turning 16. The series defined my teen years, it really did, from beginning to end. I owned the geek culture. I lived the 1980s with reckless abandon, no matter what people said. I lived for Transformers, Robotech, cheesier stuff like GI Joe and He Man, and 1980s pop culture, music, movies and legends.

My Grandmother (d. 1996, nearly 100), was even into it, likening Lwuanna Troi to Auntie Mame. Generations of my family watched it, as both my Father (d. 2009) and Aunt, (d. 2016), from Grandma, were Trekkies. My Mother is still a Trekkie of sorts. She seemed to think the Kirk era was better because 'Kirk was a dashing cowboy'. This new Picard was more like Dad, diplomatic and thinking things out. (Although Dad always had hair). Only recently did one of my siblings admit she had been to a Star Trek Lives con in the 1970s, but I knew she was in it because someone took film of it, and it later appeared at a comic convention, and I was like, that's my sister! Holy cow.

We did watch the classic since the original air, but I wasn't born yet, so my earliest memories are reruns of it in 1974, and the animated show.

Encounter at Farpoint premiered with something of a family get together, with even my (other) sister's friend Candy remarking, 'what's with the funny yellow robot whistling'), and that McCoy scene, although kind of cheesy by today's standards, still chokes me up. Seriously, that Data and McCoy scene was some of the most nostalgia they could have done. Later crossovers like Spock and Scotty, and eventually Kirk, were not nearly as interesting.

In the small private school with a smaller culture and with less bullying, as it was frowned upon and the kids all had issues there, nerds were considered cool, and there were role playing and action games, and Star Trek themed ones were common, one started by my friends and I, and of which survived on when I graduated. We didn't care if the generations couldn't meet. We made them meet. So when TNG got around to showing the other cast, it was like, we did that last year. Ha.

But we also did the conventions and met the actors, and when the other series started, embraced them as well, when they came out to the San Jose or San Francisco area.

TNG ended when I was in my final year of junior college, before transfer to university. I had stayed in JC for five years. It was like a 5 year mission.

DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise followed. The games kept going. That led to the fan productions, but not for profit.

I even don't mind the first two seasons. The in theater airing of Best of Both Worlds and Measure of a Man in the past year were interesting. IU have not been able to afford the blu rays though. I have the DVDs from the earlier run.

So my first was Encounter at Farpoint. Also I did not mind at all that they had a teenage Wil Wheaton on the ship. That was probably the idea, catering to the younger audience.

I have been working on a TNG oriented fan film for several years, as it has just taken so long, and was not ready in time for 2016, but it looks like it will be in 2017, in time for TNG turning 30. It is based on that old role playing incarnation, revised several times.

Star Trek directly inspired my writing and interest in science fiction, and also in art an literature.

"Let's see what's out there!" Picard, EAF

TNG, 1987-2017

What, no TNG anniversary?

In an answer to your postulations on the reason there are no Berman era Trek anniversary stories, or very little, it seems that Bad Robot has made an unofficial on record statement that they are the new Star Trek and that everyone should forget the 18 years the other shows were on, and that was the case in 2009. CBS has been cagey to release anything from those years, as you can tell, because of some rule about Kirk and crew being more important, even new Kirk and crew. Even the new show will cover an era where Kirk and crew might be around, not going forward past TNG. Pegg and Lin though included Enterprise references, so that rule has lightened up a little. That is why there is very little merch from TNG or DS9 currently out. However, some of the old time production guys, animators and writers, have done specials, interviews, and have youtube presence. You can check them out online and see what they're up to. So consider the blu rays their pre show nod to TNG. DS9 and VGR had disarming sales, even though hardcore fans liked DS9. It's about money. If they think they can make a buck, you can bet there will be something.

I would prefer they rerelease all the Playmates figures and model kits. Some sites have model kits from 2016 you can get. It is happening third party. But since Playmates has rereleased classic Ninja Turtles, it is possible they might consider it.

Also I got a hold of a light jacket that was the same pattern as the TNG jacket at a Target for my 46th birthday. It didn't say it was TNG, but the colors were totally close, so I had to own it! Then I could do the Picard Maneuver.

One group has put out a blue tooth comm badge, but it has some bugs to work out.

I still have hope that a DS9 blu ray edition is in the early works right now.

Edited by Chimera82405

^ There was a lot of fuss before TOS' 50th anniversary even before it took place, so I am glaring at them for being so quiet about TNG's 30th. The official Trek page published a tiny paragraph (sigh) in which it claimed there will be reunion conventions AND "memorabilia".

My guess is that we'll see a lot more closer to September (the actual month of the premiere).  I plan a re-watch of "Farpoint" on blu ray, and I will put my little 1701-D on top of the entertainment center that week...:thumbup:

My guess is that we'll see a lot more closer to September (the actual month of the premiere).  I plan a re-watch of "Farpoint" on blu ray, and I will put my little 1701-D on top of the entertainment center that week...:thumbup:

I guess for me every year is a TNG year and every week is a TNG week, given how often I watch the show and how I almost never watch any of the others, haha. I should really watch "Cause And Effect" at some point though since that was my first episode. 

I guess for me every year is a TNG year and every week is a TNG week, given how often I watch the show and how I almost never watch any of the others, haha. I should really watch "Cause And Effect" at some point though since that was my first episode. 

I'm also hitting the Las Vegas convention again (my 2nd; last year's was a blast!).   I'm guessing they'll do a lot more for TNG this year at the convention (last summer was TOS' 50th anniversary, so it was very TOS-centric).  So maybe we'll see more TNG guest stars/set pieces, etc. 

Maybe even Sir Patrick (?).   I hope so! 

But yeah, I plan to celebrate the hell out of TNG.:thumbup:

I'm also hitting the Las Vegas convention again (my 2nd; last year's was a blast!).   I'm guessing they'll do a lot more for TNG this year at the convention (last summer was TOS' 50th anniversary, so it was very TOS-centric).  So maybe we'll see more TNG guest stars/set pieces, etc. 

The German FedCon seems to be aiming for a TNG crew reunion as well, I think. So yeah, SOME stuff is being done. Sir Patrick's doing some voice-over work in LA at the moment but aside from that he has not mentioned any big plans for this year (yet!), so maybe the Vegas convention will be able to get him to appear. If he has the time he will show up, no doubt.

The German FedCon seems to be aiming for a TNG crew reunion as well, I think. So yeah, SOME stuff is being done. Sir Patrick's doing some voice-over work in LA at the moment but aside from that he has not mentioned any big plans for this year (yet!), so maybe the Vegas convention will be able to get him to appear. If he has the time he will show up, no doubt.

I think I might have to bring my zoom camera for that.  ;)

You know who's gonna ask you to take a zillion pics of him, yes? :angel_not: 

You know who's gonna ask you to take a zillion pics of him, yes? :angel_not: 

Haven't the slightest... :giggle:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0