Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr.Picard

30 Years in 2017

134 posts in this topic

I've had shocked new fans who (naturally) start with season 1 ask me "They have cannibalism on this show? And how can Picard be one of the fan favorites when he's so incredibly rude to everyone? What IS this show? How can this be something fans enjoy?" Poor folks were taking it absolutely seriously - it's the young folks these days, they aren't used to a show being completely weird for an entire season because, obviously, TV environment today hardly allows for a show to find itself. If it doesn't match expectations - boom, cancelled. They're used to top quality right from the start, so it comes as a bit of a shock to them that there are so many episodes (they aren't used to THAT either mostly) that are so... wild. But once you've explained? They understand. It's all in the broader context. I've also had young folks tell me "this is absolutely brilliant, I love this show". And, believe it or not, I've seen folks who said "this show gets boring from season 3 onwards". It's all a highly subjective thing, this 'early seasons of TNG' issue. For some, it's actually a 'season 3 onwards' issue. ;)

^
I can understand that now (as I type that I hear Picard from "Heart of Glory" saying, "I'm beginning to understand him now..."  
:giggle:). 

I don't love S3 and up any less; and I certainly appreciate the more consistent output of 'measurably' good episodes, but S1 (and to a lesser extent 2) have this wild, almost anything goes quality; they were in many ways more daring.   The later shows, while producing some incredibly GOOD television, also lost some of that wild, untamed quality of the earlier seasons.

I think I'm starting to appreciate it the way I grew to love The Animated Series; it's like Star Trek on acid.   Wild, unfettered by conventional thinking.   To me, it's not like-one-and-hate-the-other; it's more like apples and oranges.   When I want 'good' TNG, I will watch the later seasons (though there are are many gems here and there in S1 and 2; esp. 2).   But when I just want to have a fun (and kinda silly) TNG experience?  I will gladly pop in a S1 episode.

Today, I did sort of a compare and contrast between S1 "Angel One" and S3, "Sarek."  I think they're both typical of the strengths and weaknesses of their respective seasons.   "Angel One" is actually more 'fun' than "Sarek"; even if "Sarek" is unquestionably the far superior episode and more enjoyable intellectually. 

Does that make ANY sense whatsoever?  :S

I've had shocked new fans who (naturally) start with season 1 ask me "They have cannibalism on this show? And how can Picard be one of the fan favorites when he's so incredibly rude to everyone? What IS this show? How can this be something fans enjoy?" Poor folks were taking it absolutely seriously - it's the young folks these days, they aren't used to a show being completely weird for an entire season because, obviously, TV environment today hardly allows for a show to find itself. If it doesn't match expectations - boom, cancelled. They're used to top quality right from the start, so it comes as a bit of a shock to them that there are so many episodes (they aren't used to THAT either mostly) that are so... wild. But once you've explained? They understand. It's all in the broader context. I've also had young folks tell me "this is absolutely brilliant, I love this show". And, believe it or not, I've seen folks who said "this show gets boring from season 3 onwards". It's all a highly subjective thing, this 'early seasons of TNG' issue. For some, it's actually a 'season 3 onwards' issue. ;)

^
I can understand that now (as I type that I hear Picard from "Heart of Glory" saying, "I'm beginning to understand him now..."  
:giggle:). 

I don't love S3 and up any less; and I certainly appreciate the more consistent output of 'measurably' good episodes, but S1 (and to a lesser extent 2) have this wild, almost anything goes quality; they were in many ways more daring.   The later shows, while producing some incredibly GOOD television, also lost some of that wild, untamed quality of the earlier seasons.

I think I'm starting to appreciate it the way I grew to love The Animated Series; it's like Star Trek on acid.   Wild, unfettered by conventional thinking.   To me, it's not like-one-and-hate-the-other; it's more like apples and oranges.   When I want 'good' TNG, I will watch the later seasons (though there are are many gems here and there in S1 and 2; esp. 2).   But when I just want to have a fun (and kinda silly) TNG experience?  I will gladly pop in a S1 episode.

Today, I did sort of a compare and contrast between S1 "Angel One" and S3, "Sarek."  I think they're both typical of the strengths and weaknesses of their respective seasons.   "Angel One" is actually more 'fun' than "Sarek"; even if "Sarek" is unquestionably the far superior episode and more enjoyable intellectually. 

Does that make ANY sense whatsoever?  :S

It makes sense to me. TNG has a broad variety of tones and settings. Of course "Angel One" is nowhere near "Sarek" in terms of quality. But in terms of "lulz & chest hair carpet galore"? It beats "Sarek" by a HUGE margin. This is exactly why I often choose season 1 or season 2 episodes over the classic fan favorites. Well, that and Grumpy Picard. I love Grumpy Picard.

One can literally almost see how the show slowly morphs into what most fans would call "the good years". You have this wild season 1 when they try out everything, then season 2 where it gets a little less wild and the start to walk in a certain direction and then season 3 finds that path and the continue from there. This is why I do keep saying that season 1 was needed in this way. A lot of people say "if only season 1 had already been as good". Maybe, maybe not. One has to consider that, after a few seasons of good, fatigue sets in, and it's only natural - you can have only so many plots without starting to repeat yourself OR walking right into Yawn Territory. I for one prefer for the show to get its fatigue in season 7 and not somewhere in season 5 already. ;) 

If by "fun" you mean "kind of crazy," then yes, I suppose it is. :)

Yes! Exactly that kind of crazy fun. Nobody's saying season 1 is a masterpiece in quality. Not even I would say its quality level is as high as season 3's or 4's. But in terms of crazy fun? It sure counts as some kind of art all on its own. :laugh:  (And it DOES deliver glimpses at the show's actual quality from time to time. They aren't very frequent, granted, but they're there.)

Yes! Exactly that kind of crazy fun. Nobody's saying season 1 is a masterpiece in quality. Not even I would say its quality level is as high as season 3's or 4's. But in terms of crazy fun? It sure counts as some kind of art all on its own. :laugh:  (And it DOES deliver glimpses at the show's actual quality from time to time. They aren't very frequent, granted, but they're there.)

That first season was a lot of trial and error; but over time, one can learn to love the 'errors' as much as the successes. :happy:

That first season was a lot of trial and error; but over time, one can learn to love the 'errors' as much as the successes. :happy:

Yup. It's been literally almost 30 years. I for one think it's time to bury the season 1 hate. ;) 

I like "We'll Always Have Paris." It's actually very solid. Yes, the situation is a little 'season 1 trippy,' but it's definitely a science fiction problem...and the episode really starts to flesh out Picard's humanity.

Yup. It's been literally almost 30 years. I for one think it's time to bury the season 1 hate. ;) 

Nah, I won't quite be doing that. :) 

tumblr_mzbvruWstY1qbgx8ao1_500.png
"Let go of the Season One hate... and embrace the love."  

Yes, I know the Goddess of Empathy was S3, but she feels kind of like a leftover from S1. :giggle:

Yes, I know the Goddess of Empathy was S3, but she feels kind of like a leftover from S1. :giggle:

I can already hear the haters saying "muzzle it". ;)  

To that I say...

tumblr_luv2o5tGAp1qf7ds7o4_250.gif  :P

To that I say...

Except he's lying, so.....that doesn't help you. :)

To that I say...

Except he's lying, so.....that doesn't help you. :)

No maggots for you tonight...:giggle:

Darn. :)

If you ask nicely, Jean-Luc COULD be persuaded into giving you his share. ;) 

Conspiracy.thumb.png.031da111860e9ee8750

^
He must be on that No-Maggot diet.  I hear it's pretty easy to stick to.... 
:P

Is there gravy?

Gravy covers a multitude of sins.

BTW, I can't wait to see "Conspiracy" on blu ray... now that I have it. :thumbup:

^

Not if you have a purple-ish crab thing in your neck. :P 

BTW, I can't wait to see "Conspiracy" on blu ray... now that I have it. :thumbup:

That decidedly detailed and gross scene that I'm almost shocked made it on to TV looks even better. :)

^

Not if you have a purple-ish crab thing in your neck. :P 

Maybe there's no weird alien cravings going on at all.

Perhaps someone just decided to call a Ferengi caterer. :) 

That decidedly detailed and gross scene that I'm almost shocked made it on to TV looks even better. :)

They cut it out over here, haha. (I think.) I just ADORE "Conspiracy". It's so completely NOT like TNG. And yet it works. It's one of my top five episodes. I love it. And yes, highly recommended on Blu Ray. Let's not forget about Jean-Luc and Walker Keel in HD tho

They cut it out over here, haha. (I think.) I just ADORE "Conspiracy". It's so completely NOT like TNG. And yet it works. It's one of my top five episodes. I love it. And yes, highly recommended on Blu Ray. Let's not forget about Jean-Luc and Walker Keel in HD tho

I've always liked it...loved it, really, but, yeah, it's way different than TNG then or since. I always thought DS9 would have been the perfect series for a follow-up. 

That's a good way to look at it!

I never really "hated" season 1, there is just way too much nostalgia attached to it for me (I had seen TNG season 1 before I saw even half of TOS for the first time! -- So TOS and early TNG really rank very high on nostalgia for me) ... but I'd still say while I appreciate their love for experiments, they more often failed than succeeded in season 1. But yeah, kudos to this bold love for the experiment!

But I do love season 2. It still has a lot of the experimental boldness of season 1, but is much more balanced and even (plus it has Pulaski :P ). Some of the greatest successes of "experimental" TNG are in season 2: "Where Silence Has Lease", "Contagion", "Time Squared", "The Royale" ... all among my favorite TNG episodes. :thumbup:

Edited by Sim

(plus it has Pulaski :P )

Such is the high point. :) 

Ah, season 2. :inlove: Forever my all-time favorite TNG season. :inlove: Don't get me started, haha!

And yes, Pulaski for the win!

tumblr_nakc4b2fY81qjp723o1_400.gif

Sigh.

I would have been happy to deal with that for 5 more years and 4 more movies.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0