Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr.Picard

30 Years in 2017

134 posts in this topic

I would like to see maybe (as they did for the blu ray releases) do limited theatrical screenings of certain TNG episodes.   "Best of Both Worlds" works almost as a feature film IMO.    Even a cheesy/fun screening of "Encounter At Farpoint" would make for a fun TNG-outing. 

Perhaps the original cast could do a big, international convention circuit too (?).   

Those are the kinds of things I'd like to see, because other than buying a big Enterprise-B here at Comic Con, my collecting days are rapidly waning, I'm afraid...:P

I guess I am just bot much of a merch kinda guy. I'll buy blu-rays and maybe a tshirt, but merch isn't a thing I collect. 

T-shirts would be an AWESOME idea, too! Some 30th anniversary ones, obviously. I mean I have a 20th anniversary baseball cap, so, I'd love something for the 30th as well. (Although I must admit that t-shirts are perhaps the ONE merchandise item where TNG can SOMEWHAT compete with TOS selection-wise, there's a lot of stuff in various places, I have so many TNG t-shirts that I can basically wear one on every day of the week.)

I'm just someone who loves his merchandise. But I'm also picky. I won't buy stuff that has terribly photoshopped Jean-Luc or action figures that look nothing like him or busts that have the wrong eye color. Nuh-uh! Heh.

I would like to see maybe (as they did for the blu ray releases) do limited theatrical screenings of certain TNG episodes.   "Best of Both Worlds" works almost as a feature film IMO.    Even a cheesy/fun screening of "Encounter At Farpoint" would make for a fun TNG-outing. 

Perhaps the original cast could do a big, international convention circuit too (?).   

Those are the kinds of things I'd like to see, because other than buying a big Enterprise-B here at Comic Con, my collecting days are rapidly waning, I'm afraid...:P

If they do such a screening, it will most likely (again) only be in the US and maybe Canada at best. They'd never do that over here. (Not to mention the fact that it would be voice dubbed here in Germany, which is the first best thing that sends me RUNNING AWAY SCREAMING, lol.) But it's a neat idea for the US and Canada. They could have some of the actors present for Q&A's too.

A convention circuit would be fun, but I doubt they'd get all the actors on board. Sir Patrick would most likely never agree to something like that - he's too busy with his other projects. Also, a more important reason - such a world wide tour would be VERY exhausting for him, the man WILL be 77 years old next year. Even ONE convention exhausts him these days, and his arthritis would probably make things like signing autographs for hours downright impossible after no more than two or three days anyway. (The other actors I can see agreeing to it, though. But then, not sure if that tour would make a lot of sense without the captain, and if he agrees to be in SOME of the places, people will be mad in a "why did he come to THAT one but not to THIS one" way.) They will probably try to have one or two cast reunion panels at one or two conventions though. That sounds very possible to me.

They COULD also release a few new Enterprise-D model ships but I'd pass on those as well since the Enterprise-D isn't a favorite ship of mine in any way... I WOULD buy a Stargazer tho. :P

I guess I am just bot much of a merch kinda guy. I'll buy blu-rays and maybe a tshirt, but merch isn't a thing I collect. 

T-shirts would be an AWESOME idea, too! Some 30th anniversary ones, obviously. I mean I have a 20th anniversary baseball cap, so, I'd love something for the 30th as well. (Although I must admit that t-shirts are perhaps the ONE merchandise item where TNG can SOMEWHAT compete with TOS selection-wise, there's a lot of stuff in various places, I have so many TNG t-shirts that I can basically wear one on every day of the week.)

I'm just someone who loves his merchandise. But I'm also picky. I won't buy stuff that has terribly photoshopped Jean-Luc or action figures that look nothing like him or busts that have the wrong eye color. Nuh-uh! Heh.

If they do such a screening, it will most likely (again) only be in the US and maybe Canada at best. They'd never do that over here. (Not to mention the fact that it would be voice dubbed here in Germany, which is the first best thing that sends me RUNNING AWAY SCREAMING, lol.) But it's a neat idea for the US and Canada. They could have some of the actors present for Q&A's too.

A convention circuit would be fun, but I doubt they'd get all the actors on board. Sir Patrick would most likely never agree to something like that - he's too busy with his other projects. Also, a more important reason - such a world wide tour would be VERY exhausting for him, the man WILL be 77 years old next year. Even ONE convention exhausts him these days, and his arthritis would probably make things like signing autographs for hours downright impossible after no more than two or three days anyway. (The other actors I can see agreeing to it, though. But then, not sure if that tour would make a lot of sense without the captain, and if he agrees to be in SOME of the places, people will be mad in a "why did he come to THAT one but not to THIS one" way.) They will probably try to have one or two cast reunion panels at one or two conventions though. That sounds very possible to me.

They COULD also release a few new Enterprise-D model ships but I'd pass on those as well since the Enterprise-D isn't a favorite ship of mine in any way... I WOULD buy a Stargazer tho. :P

As a fellow sufferer of advanced arthritis?  I sympathize with Sir Patrick.   Mine was from injury, not age, but I entirely understand. 
Maybe he could Skype in an appearance?  I'm such a bloody optimist... :P

As a fellow sufferer of advanced arthritis?  I sympathize with Sir Patrick.   Mine was from injury, not age, but I entirely understand. 
Maybe he could Skype in an appearance?  I'm such a bloody optimist... :P

That's okay. :P

He DOES know how to use Skype, so, anything is possible here. Although, of course, you'd have to take possible time zone problems into account (evening in the US means midnight or even early morning in the UK, for example) - it would depend on where HE is, where the conventions are, and on whether he actually has the TIME to say hi. He could always record a video message, sure, but somehow I doubt that this would be "enough" for a tour - for a one time event, yes, but a bunch of video messages for an entire tour just seems a little strange to me. An international convention tour like that just doesn't seem very likely in general to me, not from his perspective. Of course, I can only speculate, he could be all like "yay sure Imma do this"... but I doubt it.

And stay tuned for 2017, as STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION celebrates its 30th aniversary. "Encounter at Farpoint" premiered in syndication on September 28, 1987.

Good nite, boa noite !

14191940_10210473487132653_9139620050255

Wow, time indeed flies !

Gus

30 years.   Wow! 
It doesn't really seem that long ago (for me, at least).  I still very much remember the night it premiered.  I had real mixed emotions when I first saw it; it was wonderful having ST back on television, but that pilot was a tough pill to swallow (at first). 

30 you say?

uwd7a3mvgdlfjbsxkhfd.jpg

Which would make it slightly older than Bashir in that scene...:giggle:

Even the TNG crew seemed surprised at the passage of time... :P

star-trek-all-good-things.jpg

Why does Crusher have that, "What am I doing here?" look?

I rememeber watching ENCOUNTER AT FARPOINT. I was 17. Dad hated it, because he said that Kirk would never surrender in his first mission LOL But I love Stewart as Picard, love the new Enterprise ("Now a new Galaxy starship has been designed...") and the cerebral tone of the new show. Best episodes of the first season - WHERE NO ONE HAS GONE BEFORE and 1001001.

I think she's supposed to look earnest and compassionate. 

To me, she just looks blurry... :giggle:

I rememeber watching ENCOUNTER AT FARPOINT. I was 17. Dad hated it, because he said that Kirk would never surrender in his first mission 

Well, Kirk does surrender (to the Klingons, no less) later on in STVI... just saying.  ;)

And I actually thought that was one of the more interesting things about EAF; it signified that Picard's leadership style would be more about reasoning and diplomacy rather than trading telegraphed punches.   Picard is more my style.   Besides... what would Kirk have done at Farpoint?  If he fought back instead of surrendering, he would've only proved Q's point about humanity being a 'dangerous, savage child-race' and probably gotten them all killed. 

Point Picard.  :P

But I digress...

And for the record?  My favorite episodes of S1 were "Where No One Has Gone Before" and "Conspiracy."  

Oh wow... It's definitely been a while.

STARDATE 41153.7 : 75 years have passed since the days in which the original crew of the USS Enterprise explored the unknown wonders of the universe.....Now, a spectacular new Galaxy starship, 8 times larger and light years ahead of technology, has been designed.......

14117947_10210473488092677_3836312083483

Gus

STARDATE 41153.7 : 75 years have passed since the days in which the original crew of the USS Enterprise explored the unknown wonders of the universe.....Now, a spectacular new Galaxy starship, 8 times larger and light years ahead of technology, has been designed.......

Gus

^
I've been to that location... it's a water reclamation plant in the San Fernando valley, I believe. 
:P

Gus

^
I've been to that location... it's a water reclamation plant in the San Fernando valley, I believe. 

I love the 1980s view of the future! 

Gus

^

I love the 1980s view of the future! 

^
You almost expect the uniforms to be in pastels, right? 

Oh, how 1980s that show is.

And, oh boy, I loooooooove the 80s;

The best STAR TREK movies, BLADE RUNNER, BACK TO THE FUTURE, GHOSTBUSTERS, the HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE cartoon, the 80s rulez.

Gus

Oh, how 1980s that show is.

And, oh boy, I loooooooove the 80s;

The best STAR TREK movies, BLADE RUNNER, BACK TO THE FUTURE, GHOSTBUSTERS, the HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE cartoon, the 80s rulez.

Gus

I remember 1982 as being one of the BEST years for movies ever; I remember seeing TWOK, "Road Warrior" (aka Mad Max 2, to the rest of the world), "Blade Runner" (the unfinished cut, as I prefer to think of it), "Poltergeist," (not really scary, but cool),  "World According to Garp" (loved it then, love it now), "E.T." (ET wasn't my personal favorite, but oh well...), "John Carpenter's 'The Thing'" (his personal best next to 'Halloween' IMO), "Tootsie", "Victor/Victoria" "Creepshow," and even "Rocky III" (one of the better ones, IMO).   That was an amazing year for movies.

Seriously; the last year for movies that hit that level of awesomeness (IMO) was 1993 (the year that begat "Schindler's List" "Philadelphia" "Jurassic Park" "Mrs Doubtfire" "Fugitive" "Groundhog's Day" "Pulp Fiction" and "Nightmare Before Christmas").   Interestingly enough, that was also the beginning of TNG's last season...

But BOT: 

TNG may have had a clumsy coltish start, but once it got running?  It was a thing of beauty.  

My wife was watching some an earlier TNG episode over my shoulder not too long ago, and she commented that TNG's earliest seasons look even more like relics of their time today than does TOS ST for the '60s.   I found that kind of interesting, as my wife is sort of a  Trek-agnostic; she enjoys the movies and episodes, but she's not as rabid about it as I am (she's more "Game of Thrones"/"Harry Potter"), so her view on the franchise is slightly more objective than mine... 

My wife was watching some an earlier TNG episode over my shoulder not too long ago, and she commented that TNG's earliest seasons look even more like relics of their time today than does TOS ST for the '60s. 

I think she's right.

TOS was really looking for a 'future' style and they have it because they created it completely from scratch and from what felt like the blank slate that comes with, "What will the future look like?"

TNG asked the question, "What will the future look like in 1987?" so there are trappings of 80s decor all over it, from the fake leather, to the paneling made of plastic wood, to the way tactical curves around in a way that reminds me of some guy's attempt at an 80s avaunt-guard sculpture.

All of which serve to firmly anchor it into the 1980s. I dare say it's easily the worst offender of all the series when it comes to dating itself that way. All of the other modern shows seem to have had far less self-consciousness.   

Edited by prometheus59650

Gus

I'd have put my left hand down lower :biggrin:

Never seen the top photo before, yeah Gates has an odd look.

My wife was watching some an earlier TNG episode over my shoulder not too long ago, and she commented that TNG's earliest seasons look even more like relics of their time today than does TOS ST for the '60s. 

I think she's right.

TOS was really looking for a 'future' style and they have it because they created it completely from scratch and from what felt like the blank slate that comes with, "What will the future look like?"

TNG asked the question, "What will the future look like in 1987?" so there are trappings of 80s decor all over it, from the fake leather, to the paneling made of plastic wood, to the way tactical curves around in a way that reminds me of some guy's attempt at an 80s avaunt-guard sculpture.

All of which serve to firmly anchor it into the 1980s. I dare say it's easily the worst offender of all the series when it comes to dating itself that way. All of the other modern shows seem to have had far less self-consciousness.   

True, but I'd also argue that like the go-go boots, beehives and miniskirts of the '60s, those '80s-isms are also part of early TNG's charm.   It's almost earnestly anachronistic!  The 24th century as imagined by Living Room Concepts.   Love the terra cotta colored interiors as well; terra cotta coloring was BIG in the '80s.  :laugh:

True. But there was always enough variation in the styles (hair and wardrobe) in TOS that it didn't feel stuck entirely in any one era. Somebody was thinking ahead on this alien dress or her do, so that you didn't completely fixate on the beehives...

2-17-2013+10-31-43+PM.jpg 

and miniskirts are timeless... :)

But for TNG, especially early on, they just riffed on whatever was already in fashion, almost to a fault.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0