Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr.Picard

30 Years in 2017

166 posts in this topic

Next year marks TNG's 30th anniversary... and so far I've heard... NOTHING merchandise-wise. (I know it's early, but still. Last year around this time they were announcing tons of TOS merchandise for this year because "omg, 50th anniversary".) They apparently aren't even releasing a calendar, at least I haven't seen one yet, all I've seen is - as usual - dozens of TOS calendars. (Nothing against TOS, but it IS getting on my nerves that the show gets practically ALL the merchandise these days. Trek is more than just one series, ffs.) Of course, with the release of that new series in January, interest in TNG will most likely be even LESS present from the ones in charge, and it's a possibility that there won't be any TNG merchandise AT ALL for its anniversary because CBS won't want to distract people from being all into their new show.

I thought I'd a) complain about the utter lack of TNG anniversary interest and merchandise so far from the ones in charge of Trek and b) use this topic to post any information on TNG specific anniversary merchandise for next year if they decide to produce some after all. (In that case I shall take SOME things back I said above. I ain't taking back my "TOS gets all the merchandise" statement, though. It's a fact, really - about 90% of the merchandise in the official website's shop is TOS merchandise.)

Of course, there is always ThinkGeek and its occasionally brilliant TNG stuff (what would I do without them, I wonder), but I for one would like something OFFICIAL to be released and celebrated by the ones in charge of Trek, y'know, plushies and calendars and t-shirts and whatnot, the full merchandise blast, just like they did for TOS this year. (For example, I really would LOVE TNG Itty Bitty plushies. The TOS ones they released this year were adorable, and I SO want TNG ones. No fair.)

As I've never been a big fan of merchandise, I've got all I need to celebrate the events next year: My shiny HD TNG Blu Rays.

Religion has always been more about content than devotionalia for me ... Star Trek is no exception. :)

But I guess I'll have a hard time choosing the episodes for that night.

I think they are slow on the TNG merchandising because if STB. They want people to see TOS as the main ST thing right now. Attract attention. After the smoke flyes away I guess we'll have some good TNG stuff to celebrate the anniversary. 

I think they are slow on the TNG merchandising because if STB. They want people to see TOS as the main ST thing right now. Attract attention. After the smoke flyes away I guess we'll have some good TNG stuff to celebrate the anniversary. 

I hope so, I really do. But I fear that after STB, the new series will replace the attention and there will be none left for TNG... again. :( 

30 years.... holy smokes, I feel prehistoric.   I still remember buying a special Sony 'gold' (HQ) VHS tape and setting my VCR to 'standard play' to record the pilot in the highest quality I could (assuming that would be my 'reference' tape)... it kind of pales in comparison to my blu ray copy today.

Sincerely hoping CBS gives it a little promotional push; the show was groundbreaking in bringing in so many new fans to the ST fold; and for allowing ST to have an 18 year return to television (6 times as long as TOS!).  It deserves a hearty round of gratitude from ALL Trekkers; no matter the denomination... ;)

30 years.... holy smokes, I feel prehistoric.   I still remember buying a special Sony 'gold' (HQ) VHS tape and setting my VCR to 'standard play' to record the pilot in the highest quality I could (assuming that would be my 'reference' tape)... it kind of pales in comparison to my blu ray copy today.

Sincerely hoping CBS gives it a little promotional push; the show was groundbreaking in bringing in so many new fans to the ST fold; and for allowing ST to have an 18 year return to television (6 times as long as TOS!).  It deserves a hearty round of gratitude from ALL Trekkers; no matter the denomination... ;)

The show is 3 years younger than I am, I continue to find this hilarious somehow. :laugh: 

However, I, too, will never forget my first TNG episode, "Cause And Effect", some 14 years ago. But, of course, that moment in the pilot episode, it gives even ME a feeling of "yes, my show, my love", and Farpoint was nowhere near being the first episode I ever saw. 

tumblr_nhfjd9Qq4D1tu7563o4_500.gif

MAJESTIC.

But... fan appreciation and The-Ones-In-Charge-Of-Trek appreciation have never really been on the same level, and I very much doubt they'll do anything special, except maybe arrange for a cast reunion at some convention, but that isn't new either, we've had quite a few of those before. TNG is still the most successful series commercially, and yet... crickets are chirping merchandise-wise these days. Not sure if they'll really want to change that for the anniversary. I sure hope they do, though, and I would love to be pleasantly surprised for a change. It's not that I already have tons of JLP stuff or anything

I'm actually glad for you that you didn't see "Farpoint" first. Quite honestly, not the best first episode.

The first two episodes I saw, back in summer 1990, were "The Naked Now" and "Code of Honor".

They had released the first 14 episodes on VHS before TNG started airing on German tv (on September 7th 1990), and my father was supposed to rent "Star Trek 2" for me at the video store. He came back with "Star Trek 2" -- but it was TNG. :)

I'm actually glad for you that you didn't see "Farpoint" first. Quite honestly, not the best first episode.

I've wondered about this many, many times, actually - how would I have reacted to the show if my ex bf, the one who nagged me into it, had had the show on VHS and had given me Farpoint to watch, since it's the pilot episode and all? The episode is very dear to me NOW, and it has so many great Grumpy Picard moments and I adore him so much in it, but it took TIME for me to love and appreciate it for what it is (I still can't name it as my favorite Trek pilot episode, though, as much as I would like to, that honor belongs to "The Cage"). It WAS easier then to start in season 5 with "Cause And Effect" (which is ALSO not a good episode for a newbie, it's repetitive and the characters obviously aren't really introduced, but that didn't matter much to me, I LOVED the concept of re-starting and trying to get things right, and Riker really seemed rather cute to me, so there was that).

Still. I honestly can't say how I'd have reacted if Farpoint had been my first episode. I knew nothing about Star Trek, after all, except that there was this bald guy in pajamas named Picard and that there was another series with some pointy eared dude called Spock. Farpoint would have been perhaps a little strange for me, the whole rather weird setting and the awkwardness, and lines like "Farpoint Station... even the name sounds mysterious." (lolwat) I was a completely different person back then, not very open-minded, not very nice, not very much anything even remotely related to "a good guy", and there IS a good possiblity that I'd have told me ex bf to never make me watch an episode of TNG ever again because "WTF IS THIS S**T?"

But then, TNG's beginning WAS rough for even those who WERE huge fans of Star Trek. To a non-fan who has no interest in science fiction and knew nothing about Trek except for endless then-boyfriend ramblings about how "wonderful Captain Picard is, you HAVE to meet him, he is the greatest", Farpoint would probably have been an even WORSE episode.

I'm glad that it did, obviously, but that first season and a half was very uneven and sometimes I'm not sure how it survived.

I'm glad that it did, obviously, but that first season and a half was very uneven and sometimes I'm not sure how it survived.

It's ironic how the first two seasons are my favorites now... I doubt I'd have had that opinion back then. Haha. It took time for them to win me over. This is btw why I do always advise new fans who ask me about TNG to watch the show from the beginning BUT to take things with a grain of salt. I always make it a point to tell them that the first season in particular is bumpy and that it might take them a zillion re-watches to fall into a "omg they have no idea what they're doing it's BRILLIANT, I love this complete anarchy" mood when watching it. Or that the mood might never appear.

And... not even TNG's lead actor believed in the show and refused to unpack his suitcases AND lived in a tiny toom above a garage because he thought he'd be back in the UK in no time anyway - so, it's normal to have doubts. ;) 

I recall that clearly, Stewart telling his agent he'd take it because it was going to be 13 weeks of steady work.

(Stretched that out a bit. :)

Yes, time certainly can change one's views. Really havn't come to look fondly on TNG Seasons 1 and 2, but I have really come to like ENT a lot more in the years since it left the air. That crew has undeniable chemistry and did pretty much from the beginning.

I recall that clearly, Stewart telling his agent he'd take it because it was going to be 13 weeks of steady work.

(Stretched that out a bit. :)

Yes, time certainly can change one's views. Really havn't come to look fondly on TNG Seasons 1 and 2, but I have really come to like ENT a lot more in the years since it left the air. That crew has undeniable chemistry and did pretty much from the beginning.

It was mostly because everyone literally told Sir Patrick that the show had no chance. His agent told him to just enjoy LA for a while and then, when the show would no doubt be canceled, he'd have made some money and would be able to go back to the UK and continue his theater career. (He would NEVER have signed the contract if he had known that he would REALLY have to stay for such a long time, he expected a failure because everyone told him that there would be one and his agent said that signing the contract was just a formality and that there was no way the contract would bind him to the show for so many seasons/years because, obviously, it wouldn't LAST for that long.)

Sir Patrick's disbelief in the show wasn't really because of the first season's plots or anything (he knew VERY little about a science fiction series and even LESS about Star Trek, his kids had to explain to him what it even WAS, he had literally NO idea what he was getting himself into), everyone just told him that there was no way they would be successful in their attempts at continuing what TOS had started, the fans wouldn't accept it, the media wouldn't accept it, etc etc etc. People often confuse this and think he believed the show would fail because of the plots, but nah, it was mostly because Hollywood genuinely believed that TNG would never be able to overtake TOS on ANY level, that Kirk was such an American icon that there was NO way an "older" British actor playing a French captain would be able to "replace" him. And, if I recall correctly, even the TOS actors had a few very nasty things to say about the mere idea of TNG before it even aired. (I remember seeing a few newspaper thingies in which Shatner in particular was NOT happy.)

Time can change opinions for sure, though. I used to like TNG's season 7, these days I can barely make it through most of its episodes. lol (I make it through, of course, they have Jean-Luc, even if the plot fails to grab me, HE never does, haha.) I also had the same change of opinion you had regarding ENT, btw. I can relate!

TNG S7 really was a case of the horse limping to the barn for me, I agree. A lot of the heart seemed to be missing by then.

TNG S7 really was a case of the horse limping to the barn for me, I agree. A lot of the heart seemed to be missing by then.

I still prefer it over any other season from any other Trek series, but then, I'm probably really way too biased when it comes to TNG. ;) 

Thirty years. Can't believe it. 

I watched it from Farpoint... Looked like it had potential. Liked it, liked the new Captain, fancied Troi a bit until she started overacting in the caverns, liked Worf and Yar. Hated Wesley. Doctor seemed boring. Thought Riker was a bit wooden and Data was a Spock rip-off with none of the charm. How wrong I was. 

Remember seeing it on a tiny portable TV I carted around with me across various addresses... Around the second season, it sort of caught on as a mass thing and people used to come around to my place and we'd break out beers and pizza to watch episodes. This became a tradition, and soon we were getting bootleg episodes (4 per VHS cassette, very fuzzy NTSC-to-PAL conversions) and we'd have marathons. That's how we all saw BOBW Part 1. That was mind-blowing. At that point, nobody could wait for season 4, everyone was frothing at the mouth for TNG and, worldwide, it became a true TV phenomenon. Sky TV in the UK cottoned on and began transmitting episodes not long after they'd been broadcast in the US (the BBC tailed the US broadcasts by about two years IIRC). Suddenly Sky had more subscribers! I couldn't afford Sky, but a mate who could taped episodes and we'd watch en masse again, 2 per cassette. This continued, on and off, until I could afford a Sky subscription myself - they'd get all the big US genre shows, and this included DS9 when it spun off from TNG.

Good times. Star Trek was great, TNG was great. For all the flaws that come to light upon rewatches and closer examination, I still love the show. 

I hope it's 30th anniversary is marked. 

I watched it from Farpoint... Looked like it had potential. Liked it, liked the new Captain, fancied Troi a bit until she started overacting in the caverns, liked Worf and Yar. Hated Wesley. Doctor seemed boring. Thought Riker was a bit wooden and Data was a Spock rip-off with none of the charm. How wrong I was. 

Remember seeing it on a tiny portable TV I carted around with me across various addresses... Around the second season, it sort of caught on as a mass thing and people used to come around to my place and we'd break out beers and pizza to watch episodes. This became a tradition, and soon we were getting bootleg episodes (4 per VHS cassette, very fuzzy NTSC-to-PAL conversions) and we'd have marathons. That's how we all saw BOBW Part 1. That was mind-blowing. At that point, nobody could wait for season 4, everyone was frothing at the mouth for TNG and, worldwide, it became a true TV phenomenon. Sky TV in the UK cottoned on and began transmitting episodes not long after they'd been broadcast in the US (the BBC tailed the US broadcasts by about two years IIRC). Suddenly Sky had more subscribers! I couldn't afford Sky, but a mate who could taped episodes and we'd watch en masse again, 2 per cassette. This continued, on and off, until I could afford a Sky subscription myself - they'd get all the big US genre shows, and this included DS9 when it spun off from TNG.

Good times. Star Trek was great, TNG was great. For all the flaws that come to light upon rewatches and closer examination, I still love the show. 

Reading stories like this makes me even more frustrated at how they're treating the show merchandise- and attention-wise these days, especially so shortly before its 30th anniversary. (It WAS a big hit back then, even I heard of it although I wasn't interested and always skipped it when I saw it on TV.) The Blu Ray project was the last big thing they did and ever since that TNG somehow... stopped mattering to them and they focused all their merchandise attention on TOS. (I guess they thought the TNG Blu Rays would be much bigger sale hits or something.)

I was not in love with "Encounter At Farpoint" either; but I stuck with it because, well... Star Trek.  

Around its debut, I was a boarding in house; watching on a small TV (my trusty 20" Sony; which lasted for 22 years before I officially gave it to charity in 2014; it still worked, too!).  And I used to record it (6 episodes per VHS tape; if I were home, I'd edit the commercials out).  It was perfect 'comfort food' TV.  I'd come home after a long miserable day at work and just put my feet up and pop in a ST tape.   It was relaxing.  

When I got my first solo apartment (I don't really count the previous room I was boarding in as an 'apartment' per se), we'd have viewing parties (pizza, beer, whatever).  Usually the parties were reserved for 'event' episodes like a two-parter, or a season finale (and even the series' 1994 finale; which we watched not long after I'd came home from a 2 month stint recovering from a motorcycle accident!).   The series' 1994 finale was kind of a double-celebration; me leaving the hospital, and the end of TNG. :laugh:

I bonded with a friend from work over GEN; both of us were having rough patches in our lives at that time (late 1994/early 1995) and we went out to watch GEN on New Year's Eve (this was about the 3rd time for me; first for her).   I was an all-ST fan, she was more of a TNG fan.  22 years later and we're still close friends; thanks to GEN (and TNG). 

I remember watching INS while dating my then-fiance/now-wife.   The movie sucked, but it was my birthday and we went with two of our best friends and had a great time ripping the movie to shreds at a local pub.   Bad movie, great memory.  

So many warm memories with friends were cemented over TNG.  :thumbup:

I can definitely understand how folks were very reluctant towards Farpoint back then. I've spoken to both fans who loved TNG right from the start (granted, some of them came from the Sir Patrick fandom and watched it because of him since they knew him as Gurney Halleck and/or Sejanus) and to fans who didn't like it at all but came around to do so after a little while - the ones who had to be convinced first are the vast majority. Farpoint is a bumpy pilot episode, and I think that, if I had been a TOS fan back then (and not just 4 years old when the show aired for the first time) I'd have been one of those who picked up the pitchforks and screamed about how much this pilot episode sucks and how blergh the characters are and how ugly the ship is and how much I want Kirk back. Therefore I can understand the initial reluctance towards the show - it was not an easy start, neither for the fans nor for the actors. But at some point most folks came around, and that's what counts - the show managed to win most people over, and that's a big accomplishment if you ask me. These days a show like TNG would never have come into existence - it would have been canceled in no time. But it was given a chance to grow and it took that chance. Sure it has problems ("Code of Honor", anyone?) and I'm the first to be upset about its treatment of its female characters and its utterly ridiculous and cringeworthy heteronormativity... but it's still a great show. Sir Patrick has every right to be proud of it, IMO.

I can definitely understand how folks were very reluctant towards Farpoint back then. I've spoken to both fans who loved TNG right from the start (granted, some of them came from the Sir Patrick fandom and watched it because of him since they knew him as Gurney Halleck and/or Sejanus) and to fans who didn't like it at all but came around to do so after a little while - the ones who had to be convinced first are the vast majority. Farpoint is a bumpy pilot episode, and I think that, if I had been a TOS fan back then (and not just 4 years old when the show aired for the first time) I'd have been one of those who picked up the pitchforks and screamed about how much this pilot episode sucks and how blergh the characters are and how ugly the ship is and how much I want Kirk back. Therefore I can understand the initial reluctance towards the show - it was not an easy start, neither for the fans nor for the actors. But at some point most folks came around, and that's what counts - the show managed to win most people over, and that's a big accomplishment if you ask me. These days a show like TNG would never have come into existence - it would have been canceled in no time. But it was given a chance to grow and it took that chance. Sure it has problems ("Code of Honor", anyone?) and I'm the first to be upset about its treatment of its female characters and its utterly ridiculous and cringeworthy heteronormativity... but it's still a great show. Sir Patrick has every right to be proud of it, IMO.

TNG may not have been love at first sight for me, but it definitely grew into love nevertheless... :inlove:

TNG may not have been love at first sight for me, but it definitely grew into love nevertheless... :inlove:

I still don't know why it turned into love at first sight for me and why "Cause And Effect" hooked me the way it did - by all rational means and given my anti sci-fi preferences I should have been bored by it - but hey, I ain't gonna complain. ;)  A lot of people who, like me, came into the Trek fandom at some later point, told me that there's "just SOMETHING about the show" that made them continue to watch. (Even those who now start with the pilot episode mostly tell me that "it's not perfect so far but I somehow see potential".)

I still don't know why it turned into love at first sight for me and why "Cause And Effect" hooked me the way it did - by all rational means and given my anti sci-fi preferences I should have been bored by it - but hey, I ain't gonna complain. ;)  A lot of people who, like me, came into the Trek fandom at some later point, told me that there's "just SOMETHING about the show" that made them continue to watch. (Even those who now start with the pilot episode mostly tell me that "it's not perfect so far but I somehow see potential".)

There was definitely potential in the pilot.  The FX were (at that time) better than most other shows on the air; some of the characters had breakout potential (I knew Data would be a scene stealer) and the holodeck seemed like a potentially interesting idea (that rarely mined its true potential on the show; usually it just became a death trap.  Like a roomful of "Westworld" or "Jurassic Park").   

And even though Picard's characterization wasn't locked in (none of the characters really were at that point), one could see he was a superior actor to Shatner (no offense to Kirk fans, but for me it was obvious).  

I also liked the more ensemble feel of the pilot; each of the characters were given some important bit of business to do that used their specific skill sets (even if Troi's just seemed to be overacting, and Worf's was mindless anger).  I thought that, if developed properly, this could be a much more functional ensemble than TOS's.   They weren't just going to be smiling button pushers, with any luck.

Sadly, Tasha Yar, who (IMO) had the most interesting backstory, wound up mainly saying "Hailing frequencies open, sir" week-to-week (I can see why she left the show at the stage she did...).   That saddened me, because I really liked Yar, but oh well...

It was a difficult birth, no question.   But ultimately became a very rewarding child. ;)

It would be nice if they marked the 30th...but I wonder they could really do?  They went all out on the 25th and did the remasters.  What more could they really do for the 30th that could be as good as that?

There was definitely potential in the pilot.  The FX were (at that time) better than most other shows on the air; some of the characters had breakout potential (I knew Data would be a scene stealer) and the holodeck seemed like a potentially interesting idea (that rarely mined its true potential on the show; usually it just became a death trap.  Like a roomful of "Westworld" or "Jurassic Park").   

And even though Picard's characterization wasn't locked in (none of the characters really were at that point), one could see he was a superior actor to Shatner (no offense to Kirk fans, but for me it was obvious).  

I also liked the more ensemble feel of the pilot; each of the characters were given some important bit of business to do that used their specific skill sets (even if Troi's just seemed to be overacting, and Worf's was mindless anger).  I thought that, if developed properly, this could be a much more functional ensemble than TOS's.   They weren't just going to be smiling button pushers, with any luck.

Sadly, Tasha Yar, who (IMO) had the most interesting backstory, wound up mainly saying "Hailing frequencies open, sir" week-to-week (I can see why she left the show at the stage she did...).   That saddened me, because I really liked Yar, but oh well...

It was a difficult birth, no question.   But ultimately became a very rewarding child. ;)

Even a lot of Kirk fans admit that Sir Patrick's the better actor, so yeah. Sir Patrick as the lead actor set a VERY different tone for the show and for how things worked about Jean-Luc's ship, and I can actually understand how TOS fans found it difficult to adjust to this stern, older, serious captain after being used to "cowboy diplomacy" Kirk in charge of things. It must've been quite a shock. However... there had been a captain similiar to Jean-Luc already - Pike. I'm always kinda surprised that back then no one seemed to notice the similarities between Jean-Luc and Pike, and that people were mindlessly hating in this "a guy like THAT can't command the Enterprise!" manner. (Granted, "The Cage" was only 'resurrected' in 1988, but still, there WAS "The Menagerie".) I'm always like HELLO THERE WAS A GUY MUCH LIKE THAT IN COMMAND BEFORE KIRK WAS - okay Jean-Luc doesn't come with the terrible "omg a woman on my bridge" sexism, but the similarities are there.

I mean Jean-Luc isn't even the one who first used one of the most famous catchphrases that is generally associated with him.

tumblr_mpf5omnhty1qd6v0do1_500.gif

And you're right, Yar gets a very interesting backstory in the first few episodes, but then they just shove her into the background, I also think it's no wonder Crosby decided to leave. I'd have been frustrated as well!

It would be nice if they marked the 30th...but I wonder they could really do?  They went all out on the 25th and did the remasters.  What more could they really do for the 30th that could be as good as that?

3-D TNG? Holodeck-like TNG? :laugh:

Nah, I think merchandise is the way to go here. I mean I'm not a marketing person, but my first look as to how to celebrate a show's 30th anniversary would be through merchandise. I'm pretty sure they WILL release DVDs and Blu Rays in special editions (AGAIN, yawn), but really, that's just meh, they've been doing this for years now, it's nothing new. I'd actually probably even turn towards the FANS and ask THEM what they want the most. Ask the audience. Risky, I know, but worth it sometimes.

For example, there's this project now that has "lost scenes of TOS" recovered and whatnot. I'd LOVE something like that for TNG - they had something like that with the deleted scenes on the Blu Rays, yes, but I'm talking about stuff like the whole "The Measure Of A Man" episode that they recovered. THAT would be SOMETHING. (Assuming things like this exist for other episodes, granted.) Or they could FINALLY recover that French accent TNG intro that Sir Patrick spoke and that, according to him, is floating around SOMEWHERE in the Paramount archives. Y'know, the little things that make the day of a TNG fan. lol If I were them I'd just send someone downstairs into the archives and let them dig around even MORE than they did for the Blu Rays.

I guess I am just bot much of a merch kinda guy. I'll buy blu-rays and maybe a tshirt, but merch isn't a thing I collect. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0