Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Quinto's Spock Should Appear on DIISCOVERY

JVM   

Sorry to bump this, but after the SNL skit, my mind's a lot been on the specific question of seeing Kelvin actors as the younger versions of the Prime characters - it's nice to see that most people seem fairly okay with Quinto, but are more worried about story and letting the show stand on its own. I share those worries and I would definitely prefer someone with as much stature as Kirk or Spock be held back for a few seasons. As for confusion between timelines, I think if the visual style remains distinct, it could be possible. Seeing Pine in a different outfit for SNL felt clear enough to me and most people he was playing Kirk Prime. (The Shatnerspeak helped.)

I would rather see someone like Admiral Archer or T'Pol (not even an ENT fan, mind you) Pike or even Number One, a favorite character of mine, but I'm not holding my breath, to be honest. Developing minor characters enriches the universe a lot for all involved, is one of the benefits of having a larger franchise, and frankly, I think the franchise rests too much of itself on Kirk and Spock, even today. They're fantastic characters, but it should strive to be much, much more than those two.

14 minutes ago, JVM said:

Sorry to bump this, but after the SNL skit, my mind's a lot been on the specific question of seeing Kelvin actors as the younger versions of the Prime characters - it's nice to see that most people seem fairly okay with Quinto, but are more worried about story and letting the show stand on its own. I share those worries and I would definitely prefer someone with as much stature as Kirk or Spock be held back for a few seasons. As for confusion between timelines, I think if the visual style remains distinct, it could be possible. Seeing Pine in a different outfit for SNL felt clear enough to me and most people he was playing Kirk Prime. (The Shatnerspeak helped.)

I would rather see someone like Admiral Archer or T'Pol (not even an ENT fan, mind you) Pike or even Number One, a favorite character of mine, but I'm not holding my breath, to be honest. Developing minor characters enriches the universe a lot for all involved, is one of the benefits of having a larger franchise, and frankly, I think the franchise rests too much of itself on Kirk and Spock, even today. They're fantastic characters, but it should strive to be much, much more than those two.

^
This.

Don't be sorry to bump a thread; if it's still viable?  Then by all means... put your thoughts into it. ;)