Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

Quinto's Spock Should Appear on DIISCOVERY

25 posts in this topic

Spock Should Definitely Appear in 'Star Trek: Discovery'

And  Zachary Quinto should play him.

What do you think ? 2255 is just a year after THE CAGE.

https://www.inverse.com/article/20415-spock-should-definitely-appear-in-star-trek-discovery

Mixed emotions.

I love the Spock character, and Quinto's interpretation of that character, but I really think that if this happens?  It should be something that comes in a couple years or so, after the series is launched and well-established.    Much as TNG did with "Sarek""Relics" and "Unification."   To start with high profile TOS character guest shots any earlier would undermine the new cast's ability to establish themselves in the hearts and minds of ST fans.  

But if/when that happens?  Yeah, I'd be up for a Spock cameo.  If it makes sense, fits the universe and is important to the story somehow.

I don't think ST is a superhero franchise where you can start throwing in random characters into the mix.   ST has always been more thoughtful.   I was watching "Sarek" the other day on BBC-A, and I thought 'that is the way you bring a TOS character back'; the actor's age was factored in, his presence in the story made sense, and his affliction (the Bendai Syndrome) gave an opportunity for the newer cast (namely Patrick Stewart) a wonderful chance to shine. 

Here's hoping a Quinto Spock appearance does at least as well. 

Another event that could be happening around this time--Kirk spending time with his pal Tyree.

Eh...I love Spock and all...but there is no reason the show NEEDS Spock.  The article doesn't really have a legit reason other than "I really like Spock!"

Eh...I love Spock and all...but there is no reason the show NEEDS Spock.  The article doesn't really have a legit reason other than "I really like Spock!"

^
Even as a huge fan of the Spock character, I have to 
agree ultimately.

The show shouldn't need a boost from any other ST series' characters or actors so early on.   It needs to stand on its own first.  

Not in the first season, or probably the second. The viewer needs to tune in and see if they like these characters for their own merits...not to see how many of the old guard they can shoehorn in.

Not in the first season, or probably the second. The viewer needs to tune in and see if they like these characters for their own merits...not to see how many of the old guard they can shoehorn in.

^
Exactly.

TNG charted its own course before it started the real crossovers (McCoy's cameo in "Farpoint" really had no bearing on that story; it was just fan service... nice, but unnecessary).  I would just hope that, if Discovery does crossovers, they would make sense to the story.   I don't want to see Spock just beaming aboard for a visit; I would want him on the ship only if it makes sense (story-wise) for him to be there. 

It's also interesting to note that when DS9 first came out, it started with the TNG cameos; Q, Vash, Picard, etc.   Even Tom Riker in S3.  But as the years rolled on, they did the smart thing: they began to develop their own secondary characters, who became (IMO) equally if not more interesting than the primary cast.    Mining their OWN resources. 

I would hope that Discovery's own crew and secondary characters will be so interesting that they won't NEED supporting cameos or guest roles from Trek veterans. 

There for his third cousin's surprise birthday party wouldn't cut it fir ya then?? :)

They don't need outside characters but it feels like more of a shared universe if there are a few. I'd rather see a cameo in the first episode by someone but not Kirk or Spock.  Then maybe one in year 2 or 3 if it fits the story line. 

I'd rather see crossovers with minor characters from the original trek that only real insiders would know were crossovers. Like an ambassador from Journey to Babel who was named but was really just background to the story.  Or someone playing a great grandparent of the character. Playing the character totally different than the original. 

There for his third cousin's surprise birthday party wouldn't cut it fir ya then?? :)

Were they close?  :P

th?id=OIP.M1eee29ce798e1b948da8c84a965f5

Like this, man. :P 

Then of course... a visit would be quite logical. :giggle:

Like Sehlat - I'd say mixed emotions. I have a low opinion of a lot of the viewing audience. Showing Quinto's Spock would probably confuse people and make them think "Wait.... so this is part of the movie universe?" Hell - even though they openly said this is the "prime universe" - I wouldn't be surprised if average viewers of Trek wouldn't understand that and think this is a prequel to the prequel (movies).

If Quinto's Spock did appear? I wouldn't mind if it was like a McCoy on TNG appearance, but wouldn't he be at the Academy at this point? IDK ...

I'd like to see, if any cameos, maybe Pike, Phillip Boyce, Number One (if it isn't Majel's version that is the main character). People that never got a chance to get any real development. Unless "The Cage" is not canon and none of those people (outside of Pike) exist?

Edited by The Founder

Like Sehlat - I'd say mixed emotions. I have a low opinion of a lot of the viewing audience. Showing Quinto's Spock would probably confuse people and make them think "Wait.... so this is part of the movie universe?" Hell - even though they openly said this is the "prime universe" - I wouldn't be surprised if average viewers of Trek wouldn't understand that and think this is a prequel to the prequel (movies).

If Quinto's Spock did appear? I wouldn't mind if it was like a McCoy on TNG appearance, but wouldn't he be at the Academy at this point? IDK ...

I'd like to see, if any cameos, maybe Pike, Phillip Boyce, Number One (if it isn't Majel's version that is the main character). People that never got a chance to get any real development. Unless "The Cage" is not canon and none of those people (outside of Pike) exist?

Cage is canon...and even if you only count Menagerie, Number One and Dr. Boyce are definitely used within that.  They are canon!

As far as the prime universe is concerned?  "The Cage" is about as canon as it gets.   And yes, I think having Quinto's Spock might confuse some into thinking that maybe it wasn't the prime timeline (weird, I know but yeah; I could see that).  It's not 'logical' (hehe) but yeah, it might confuse some newer Trek fans who don't realize they're the exact same person. 

The first episode of TNG had McCoy.

The first episode of DS9 had Picard (and, well, O'Brien for that matter).

The first episode of VOY had Quark.

The first episode of ENT had Cochran.

I think a more fitting guest star to "send off" the series would be a brief cameo by T'Pol. :)

The first episode of TNG had McCoy.

The first episode of DS9 had Picard (and, well, O'Brien for that matter).

The first episode of VOY had Quark.

The first episode of ENT had Cochran.

I think a more fitting guest star to "send off" the series would be a brief cameo by T'Pol. :)

There is precedence for a cameo, I'm sure.

But the trick is to not let that cameo overshadow the new cast.   The McCoy scene could be edited from "Farpoint" and it'd be the same story.   DS9 also had Picard (O'Brien really doesn't count, since he was a cast member of DS9), and he was critical to launching that show.

But my point is, would Spock be critical to the story?   I can't imagine him just dropping by to say 'hi.'   And if it's more than a cameo, they risk him overshadowing the regular cast.   I would prefer that maybe he just appear on a monitor (like Cochrane's video playback in ENT) or in some other reduced capacity; otherwise Spock is just too strong a character not to dominate a scene (or worse, a story). 

And yes, technically an aged T'Pol would also be a nice callback to both McCoy's 137 year old cameo and the aged T'Pol we see in ENT's "E2"

While there are a ton of cool cross over opportunities (and precedent for this in all the previous shows) I'm of the mind that DSC should be hermetically sealed off from all things BAD ROBOT Trek.

Reason being: Im the kind of fan who feels burned that ENT and BR Trek were not more stylistically/visually/emotionally resonant with TOS. DSC is teasing us with the possibility of being the kind of prequel I've longed for. Updated for the modern era, but still something my head canon could accept actually transpired in the Trek past. Having BR actors play TOS characters (which are distinct and different from their BR characters) would spoil this illusion. Spock, Kirk and the others will be a presence in this show. We won't be able to stop ourselves from speculating where they are, and the show might even bring them tantalizingly close to the action on Discovery. They won't be alternate reality versions of the characters from TOS, they will be the exact same ones because DSC is set in the same time period and same reality. When I think about those characters while watching or daydreaming about DSC, I want to be allowed to picture the Kirk and Spock of my head canon, meaning the characters that can be seen on TOS episodes.  

And just to show you how delicate and fanciful head canon is, if they have to have Spock on the show, I'd almost rather them recast with an unknown than have Quinto play him. That's just another way of saying that DSC needs to be its own show, and the suspension of disbelief can be too easily shattered.      

Spock is too iconic a character to use early on in Discovery. I'd much rather see someone from the ENT era, if they must have a cameo appearance by an established character. If they do decide to use Spock, I'd actually rather see Haberkorn make a brief appearance than Quinto, unless it's a crossover from the Kelvin timeline. (Even Haberkorn a few years down the line, when STC has wrapped, if CBS intends to restrict actors who have appeared on official shows from being involved in fan productions.)

Cage is canon...and even if you only count Menagerie, Number One and Dr. Boyce are definitely used within that.  They are canon!

Well in that case, I'd honestly prefer seeing one of them over Quinto. :D

As far as the prime universe is concerned?  "The Cage" is about as canon as it gets.   And yes, I think having Quinto's Spock might confuse some into thinking that maybe it wasn't the prime timeline (weird, I know but yeah; I could see that).  It's not 'logical' (hehe) but yeah, it might confuse some newer Trek fans who don't realize they're the exact same person. 

Right exactly. I actually like the idea being bandied about here of T'Pol or maybe an elderly Archer passing the torch.

Well in that case, I'd honestly prefer seeing one of them over Quinto. :D

Right exactly. I actually like the idea being bandied about here of T'Pol or maybe an elderly Archer passing the torch.

^
In fact, Bakula (in Las Vegas recently) tantalizingly said that he saw artwork from the new series and he was blown away.   He also hinted that he could (theoretically) have a role in it (!). 

Quinto would indeed needlessly confuse the audience. However, it IS kinda customary for the previous series (not movie) to pass the torch to the next. Which, in this case, means it's ENT's turn indeed.

Quinto would indeed needlessly confuse the audience. However, it IS kinda customary for the previous series (not movie) to pass the torch to the next. Which, in this case, means it's ENT's turn indeed.

^
I really think an ENT cameo would be the way to go; it'd really hammer home the point that this IS the prime universe. 

T'Pol would work fine.

I just don't want enterprise characters forced into my head canon. If they do it it needs to work on its own in support of both D.SC. And trek history. Like use archer or t'pol to give the show a historical perspective on federation origins, in a way that could work even if no ones ever seen ENT.