Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

IDW Comics for November

Here are the covers from IDW November comic books, including the post-BEYOND series STAR TREK BOLDLY GO issue 2 and anothe rcollection of John Byrne's STAR TREK NEW VISIONS Vol. 4. Here is the blurb from BOLDLY GO :

The blockbuster series continues with an all-new STAR TREK adventure set after the events of STAR TREK BEYOND! Captain Kirk and the crew of the U.S.S Endeavour encounter a new threat to the Federation, but one very familiar to STAR TREK fans! Meanwhile, Spock and Uhura face an uncertain future on New Vulcan!

14022271_10210394253631865_6394209213982

14051623_10210394254471886_8018488098573

14089057_10210394271112302_2985354699208

^

That Waypoint cover art reminds me of something we might have seen on the old Gold Key comic books of the '60s.   Looks like they feature a '60s version of the "Avatar" exo-suits.

kenman   

I wonder if the Boldly Go comics will be more original than the reworking of old stories that came before in the Kelvin comics. 

The JJ TREK comics (STAR TREK ONGOING) stop doing remakes of TOS episodes early in the run of the series, and started since them doing original stories for the past few years now.

The JJ TREK comics (STAR TREK ONGOING) stop doing remakes of TOS episodes early in the run of the series, and started since them doing original stories for the past few years now.

^
Well, sort of.

They're still doing occasional quasi-remakes of classic episodes.  In a fairly recent collection, they did a partial remake of "The Tholian Web" but with newer elements.   I find the IDW books more interesting when they do all-new stories; like the one where the crew met an Enterprise with a gender-swapped crew; it was crazy, but kind of fun.  I loved Jayne T Kirk.  

They could've went a lot further with that idea IMO, but I think they were being mindful of their younger audience members... :angel_not:

I just did a little digging for STAR TREK BOLDLY GO and thats what I found.

From Mike Johnson's IGN interview, it's going to pick up (from what I gathered) at least a few weeks after Beyond. Kirk will be given command of the Endeavor and some of the crew will be with him - others won't.

They're creating new MAIN characters (and seeing some of the previewed art IGN had, THANK GOODNESS we're NOT getting the cover art). From what I gathered, those main characters will be with Kirk and crew on the Endeavor. As the synopsis mentioned, Spock and Uhura go to New Vulcan for some odd reason. I'm guessing those new characters are Kirk's new comms/ops officer and science/first officer.

It sounds like, at the time of them writing and making issues 1 and 2, they don't have ANY official drawings or plans for the Enterprise-A as of yet. As Johnson said, "We won't see the Enterprise for quite a while in this new series," which means that they're probably getting stuff approved by Bad Robot, or Bad Robot's still designing the Enterprise-A and IDW doesn't have the drawings as of yet.

The interior designs seem to mimic the "original" Enterprise - which I'm going to throw a guess that Endeavor is also a Connie. The ship was originally mentioned in STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - but her captain as killed by Khan in that joint chiefs' meeting. But it seems that Kirk will be getting that ship (I know it's like X amount of years after STID but apparently, Kirk's ship is the Endeavor).

Edited by GustavoLeao

Locutus   

I just did a little digging for STAR TREK BOLDLY GO and thats what I found.

From Mike Johnson's IGN interview, it's going to pick up (from what I gathered) at least a few weeks after Beyond. Kirk will be given command of the Endeavor and some of the crew will be with him - others won't.

They're creating new MAIN characters (and seeing some of the previewed art IGN had, THANK GOODNESS we're NOT getting the cover art). From what I gathered, those main characters will be with Kirk and crew on the Endeavor. As the synopsis mentioned, Spock and Uhura go to New Vulcan for some odd reason. I'm guessing those new characters are Kirk's new comms/ops officer and science/first officer.

It sounds like, at the time of them writing and making issues 1 and 2, they don't have ANY official drawings or plans for the Enterprise-A as of yet. As Johnson said, "We won't see the Enterprise for quite a while in this new series," which means that they're probably getting stuff approved by Bad Robot, or Bad Robot's still designing the Enterprise-A and IDW doesn't have the drawings as of yet.

The interior designs seem to mimic the "original" Enterprise - which I'm going to throw a guess that Endeavor is also a Connie. The ship was originally mentioned in STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - but her captain as killed by Khan in that joint chiefs' meeting. But it seems that Kirk will be getting that ship (I know it's like X amount of years after STID but apparently, Kirk's ship is the Endeavor).

Interesting news.  I'm glad they are covering the period when the new Enterprise-A is getting built with the crew on another starship.  The movie makes it seem like the crew all sat around swilling beer waiting for the new ship to finish construction, which took no time at all.  Glad the comics acknowledge that the crew probably went without the Enterprise for longer than we realized.

Edited by Locutus

Sign in to follow this