Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

GHOST IN THE SHELL (Live-Action)

21 posts in this topic

Did these people doing the pictures actually watch the anime? The guy with the white spikey hair and the guy with the funny goggle eyes are the same guy, not two different guys.

What's with the dude that looks like Deadshot? Were they thinking, oh, let's make one of them look like the guy in the Suicide Squad trailers, because that movie is gonna make bank?

And what's with the Firefly's security officer looking guy?

Considering the weird casting of Scarlett, that's the least of their problems, as this cast looks to be Suicide Squad meets Guardians of the Galaxy. Is the movie going to be R? It would have to be, since about a third of the movie the android lady is naked. Also she is brutally maimed in the cartoon. How are they going to show that? Are they using Stand Alone Complex and the sequels? That's going to make it a mess.

http://ghostintheshell.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters

Edited by Chimera82405

I think they are doing an adaptation of the STAND ALONE COMPLEX series and movie

71h3yTdIz2S._SL1050_.jpg

Gus

See Scarlett Johansson's The Major In Action In The Stunning First Trailer For GHOST IN THE SHELL

"Everything they told you was a lie." Paramount Pictures has just debuted the awesome first full trailer for Rupert Sanders' live-action adaptation of Ghost in The Shell anime.

Check Out A Cool New International Trailer For GHOST IN THE SHELL Starring Scarlett Johansson

A new international trailer has been released for Ghost in the Shell, and while it's light on new footage, it's sure to get you excited for the movie starring Avengers actress Scarlett Johansson.

CONFIRMED: New GHOST IN THE SHELL Trailer Will Be With Us This Monday; Check Out A New TV Spot

Geee, looks amazing !

Watch The Amazing New Trailer For GHOST IN THE SHELL Starring Scarlett Johansson

Paramount Pictures has released a new full-length trailer for Ghost in the Shell, and it offers up our best look yet at the movie as Scarlett Johansson battles all manner of larger than life threats. Awesome in my opinion, this movie will be great ! As an anime fan, I wanna see it.....now !

Gus
Edited by GustavoLeao

20 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

GHOST IN THE SHELL Gets An Awesome Final Trailer And A New Poster Featuring Scarlett Johansson's Major

The live-action Ghost in the Shell movie is set for release in a few days time, but if you're still on the fence about seeing it, check out this action-packed final trailer and a cool new poster

I'm a casual fan of the anime movie from 1995 (my wife introduced me to it when we were dating)), and what bothers me about this movie is that Scarlett Johanssen is just miscast.   Nothing against the actress (I'm fond of her other works) but her casting in this movie is whitewash casting taken to the same height of absurdity that got us a pale, blue-eyed Brit playing a certain Sikh from "Northern India" in STID.  

My second issue is the story; from the trailers my wife and I have seen, it's not the same plot or story as the original, but uses imagery and setpieces from it to tell basically a watered down boring revenge yarn.  

I'd like to be more enthusiastic about a GITS movie (as I also enjoyed GITS2: Innocence and even a few episodes of Stand Alone Complex) but this movie just isn't it... It looks more like GITS dumbed down for mass consumption.  GITS was the direct inspiration for The Matix and yet the new trailer looks like a half-a$$ed Matrix ripoff instead (the Wachowskis are often quoted in interviews about their love of the original; if you see the original GITS, the Matrix almost looks like a remake).

Too bad they couldn't do this remake in conjunction with some of the original tablet and maybe a Japanese lead.  Could've been something great, but now it looks like every other ScarJo-kicks-a$$ action movie.   

A shame. 

Well, to be fair, no anime characters I've seen look remotely Japanese or Asian, the round eyes that are used in manga style kinda spoil it for me. Ghost in the Shell is actually one of the few anime I've seen, even if it was something like 15 years ago. I'm not panning this one unseen because of casting choices.

1 hour ago, maneth said:

Well, to be fair, no anime characters I've seen look remotely Japanese or Asian, the round eyes that are used in manga style kinda spoil it for me. Ghost in the Shell is actually one of the few anime I've seen, even if it was something like 15 years ago. I'm not panning this one unseen because of casting choices.

Well, technically it takes place in a world where all the races are more or less blurred, but still; it'd be a nice nod to the anime's roots to have a prominent Asian actor somewhere.  Even Gareth Edwards' 2014 Godzilla was very respectful of that franchise's Japanese roots.

6 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Even Gareth Edwards' 2014 Godzilla was very respectful of that franchise's Japanese roots.

With Blandy McWhiteguy in the lead role?

51 minutes ago, kenman said:

With Blandy McWhiteguy in the lead role?

:laugh:

Yeah, he sucked; I agree.  Bryan Cranston should've been the lead.   He was the only character I gave a crap for in that movie.

But no, I was referring to the Japanese prologue sequence and the Ken Watanabe character.  :P

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

GHOST IN THE SHELL Box Office Performance Was Hurt By Whitewashing Controversy Admits Paramount Executive

In a surprising move, Paramount has conceded that the controversy surrounding the whitewashing of Scarlett Johansson's character in Ghost in the Shell did have a negative effect on the BO

Maybe they will scrap plans to reboot Akira also, or make a mess of Robotech/Macross with white main characters? The new movie wasn't horrible, as they did adhere to a lot of the cartoon, but it was hardly necessary. The problem was they watched the cheaply done VHS dub, which I used to have, not the remastered bluray reprint. Really the GitS franchise is not a franchise. Do they still even sell official action figures? Maybe they watched the bad dub. If anything, it just wasn't a thing we needed.

That said, maybe the character was not so bad being turned into an American looking cybrog. After all, a ot of manga and anime does that. It just didn't work here because it didn't work with Scarlett.

It wasn't like the Mandarin in Iron Man 3, which is cringe worthy, but still. It didn't work. I just wonder what fans of the anime would have liked such changes? How big is that pool of fans? It's not that big, not enough to go see a movie. I suspect what they made, they made from the fans who wanted to see the story, and possibly Marvel fans. I saw it. It's a very visually stunning film, except the few times it is unfinished, but like the girl lead in Rogue One, SJ just can't carry a whole movie. She's better being a costar. The eyeball dude was just fine, and the bad guy was alright, and even the old man was good.

Also there is the fact that the anime has influenced bigger ones, like the Matrix, and people thought it was the other way around. It was in turn heavily influencwed by Terminator and Blade Runner. Cyberpunk is still cool. Perhaps it will have a cult video following of its own. Call it "Ghost in the Shell: Soft Reboot Complex"

10 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

GHOST IN THE SHELL Box Office Performance Was Hurt By Whitewashing Controversy Admits Paramount Executive

In a surprising move, Paramount has conceded that the controversy surrounding the whitewashing of Scarlett Johansson's character in Ghost in the Shell did have a negative effect on the BO

Especially with the increasingly important overseas markets, such as China and (ironically) Japan (since this was an anime to begin with).

Paramount has been really hurting lately, and sadly, it seems much of it is due to their own creative/distributive mistakes.

20 hours ago, Chimera82405 said:

Maybe they will scrap plans to reboot Akira also, or make a mess of Robotech/Macross with white main characters? The new movie wasn't horrible, as they did adhere to a lot of the cartoon, but it was hardly necessary. The problem was they watched the cheaply done VHS dub, which I used to have, not the remastered bluray reprint. Really the GitS franchise is not a franchise. Do they still even sell official action figures? Maybe they watched the bad dub. If anything, it just wasn't a thing we needed.

That said, maybe the character was not so bad being turned into an American looking cybrog. After all, a ot of manga and anime does that. It just didn't work here because it didn't work with Scarlett.

It wasn't like the Mandarin in Iron Man 3, which is cringe worthy, but still. It didn't work. I just wonder what fans of the anime would have liked such changes? How big is that pool of fans? It's not that big, not enough to go see a movie. I suspect what they made, they made from the fans who wanted to see the story, and possibly Marvel fans. I saw it. It's a very visually stunning film, except the few times it is unfinished, but like the girl lead in Rogue One, SJ just can't carry a whole movie. She's better being a costar. The eyeball dude was just fine, and the bad guy was alright, and even the old man was good.

Also there is the fact that the anime has influenced bigger ones, like the Matrix, and people thought it was the other way around. It was in turn heavily influencwed by Terminator and Blade Runner. Cyberpunk is still cool. Perhaps it will have a cult video following of its own. Call it "Ghost in the Shell: Soft Reboot Complex"

GHOST IN THE SHELL is  a HUGE franchise in Japan with a new anime series and a new anime movie last year. And yeah they have action figures, just like YAMATO and MACROSS.

s-l500.jpg

Gus

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

GHOST IN THE SHELL is  a HUGE franchise in Japan with a new anime series and a new anime movie last year. And yeah they have action figures, just like YAMATO and MACROSS.

s-l500.jpg

Gus

Cool, but these are not available at your local Toys r Us or at Target or Walmart, right? Where was the movie merch for the US version? Sure there are big reboots there. in Japan.

They are also on a third or fourth Macross spin off, Macross Delta, but it is not available here in US stores, nor are the toys.

I was referring to the US versions of these properties not thinking straight. Still, it was not a bad reboot. It just wasn't entirely necessary.

About 2 or so years ago, the Japanese redid their own like action Yamato movie, and it was pretty on point. Liked it! Have the bluray, but had to order it on Amazon, as it was not available here.

Edited by Chimera82405

I have MACROSS DELTA THE COMPLETE SERIES on DVD and its the best MACROSS SERIES since MACROSS ZERO.

Thank you, eBay ! The US companies are missing the boat not releasing the latest MACROSS and YAMATO 2199 series and movies, thats for sure.

Gus

I remember watching the anime film years ago -- I think it was on VHS. I can't remember much from it, but one thing that stands out, when I look at a few scenes today, is the visual element. There are some very nice, distinctive shots here and there, and there's an interesting atmosphere to the work. I would have to watch it again to really see how it deals with the 'Sci Fi' content in the story, though.

This new film sounds like it is fairly different in terms of the story.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0