GustavoLeao

When Shatner Speaks...................People Listen

44 posts in this topic

Never going to happen; they'll never agree on the money even if there was a way to include him.

Never going to happen; they'll never agree on the money even if there was a way to include him.

Introducing a TOS character on this new show (which is supposed to precede TOS) will just break the 4th wall anyway.  A bad idea for a new show trying to establish its own mythos and characters...

But didn't Fuller say he wants to introduce characters we already know in season 2 of the show? So... there might be familiar faces after all. Not sure how or who's gonna play them, but hey...

But didn't Fuller say he wants to introduce characters we already know in season 2 of the show? So... there might be familiar faces after all. Not sure how or who's gonna play them, but hey...

Hey, you wanna get Bruce Greenwood to play Prime Pike, I'd be happier than I could find words for.

Hey, you wanna get Bruce Greenwood to play Prime Pike, I'd be happier than I could find words for.

I loved his Pike. That would be awesome!! I doubt they would want to pay for having him as a regular character though.

I loved his Pike. That would be awesome!! I doubt they would want to pay for having him as a regular character though.

No, but if he could be talked into appearing now and then I'd fanboy squee.

^
That would be pretty cool.  

And it would 'fit' a pre-TOS timeline, too (he wouldn't even need a wheelchair either... not yet, anyway :ohmy: ). 

I wouldn't mind if he played Captain Kirk's grandfather in an episode or two. He could be a retired Star Fleet officer who tries to boss everyone around. He retired with the glorious rank of ensign and believes he knows everything. Everyone on the ship gets sick of him and his talking about his dear sainted grandson whose going to save the federation. (But not that loser Jim, his brother, George, the real brains in the family.)

Or even better, Shatner and Takei  as  grandparents of Kirk and Sulu and old shipmates bickering and complaining the whole trip. 

Edited by scenario
Added info

With the show taking place in the Prime universe, they would have some explaining to do regarding why he isn't dead.

With the show taking place in the Prime universe, they would have some explaining to do regarding why he isn't dead.

Or why he's a lot older and heavier than his then-23 year old self should be.... 

It's best to just NOT have Shatner and focus on the new crew and the new mission. 

There's nothing wrong with William Shatner on the show. There are all sorts of problems with James T. Kirk on the show. 

There's nothing wrong with William Shatner on the show. There are all sorts of problems with James T. Kirk on the show. 

^
But is it possible to separate Shatner from James T Kirk?  I doubt it.  It'd be a 4th wall breaker if he appears on the new show IMO.  

I don't think it IS possible to separate Shatner and James T. Kirk.  Never liked the idea of the grandfather thing.  So they would have to do something else to make it happen, if they choose so.  Possibilities are endless, and they have a decent creative team.  It's a question of desire.

Now that I'm thinking about it--maybe the event that happened in the past is when Pike got crippled.  Then again, that happened much later, so maybe not.

I don't know if Greenwood should play Pike either--unless they can de-age him.  Pike should be in his late 30s at most in this era.

^
But is it possible to separate Shatner from James T Kirk?  I doubt it.  It'd be a 4th wall breaker if he appears on the new show IMO.  

Shatner has played a lot of parts since Kirk. I'd bet there'd be some people who's say, "Isn't that TJ Hooker?" or "Isn't that the guy from Boston Legal?" or the guy from the Priceline commercials. I wouldn't be surprised if he would be more recognized for his Priceline commercials than Captain Kirk by younger people who don't watch Star Trek. 

I'm beginning to like the idea of a cameo with Shatner and Takai. They could be bickering diplomats or something. They'd only have a couple of 1 or 2 minute scenes. Or Shatner as a Klingon. 

^

Shatner has played a lot of parts since Kirk. I'd bet there'd be some people who's say, "Isn't that TJ Hooker?" or "Isn't that the guy from Boston Legal?" or the guy from the Priceline commercials. I wouldn't be surprised if he would be more recognized for his Priceline commercials than Captain Kirk by younger people who don't watch Star Trek. 

I'm beginning to like the idea of a cameo with Shatner and Takai. They could be bickering diplomats or something. They'd only have a couple of 1 or 2 minute scenes. Or Shatner as a Klingon. 

If I were to have any say in it, and I don't, I would put him under heavy makeup.  And yes, having him as a Klingon would be a nice bit of irony casting.   But other than a sendoff stunt, I really can't think of a good reason to put Shatner into the mix.

Yes, he's played a lot of roles since ST to be sure, but let's face it; you put Shatner in a show (or movie) with starships and he's going to be pigeonholed as Kirk.

Look around the 2:00 mark in this linked video from "Airplane II"

There's no reason to do it, and there's no real way to explain a dead man who somehow looks 20 years older than he did when he died.

If anything they would see if Chris Pine would be willing to do an episode or two.  HE still looks plenty young enough to pass for a 20's kirk. 

If anything they would see if Chris Pine would be willing to do an episode or two.  HE still looks plenty young enough to pass for a 20's kirk. 

Yes, please. :)

He could pass for a 20something Kirk.  But again, my only reservation would be that such cameos might take away from the establishing of a new crew and new story. I understand the temptation to put in a known ST face to help launch the show; even TNG had Bones (at 137 years old) in its pilot.   But that was a quick little bit cameo rather than a role.   If Kirk were seen on a monitor screen (like Cochrane in ENT's "Broken Bow") I might be okay with that.

I suppose it really depends on how it's done, and if it goes well with the story. 

He could pass for a 20something Kirk.  But again, my only reservation would be that such cameos might take away from the establishing of a new crew and new story. I understand the temptation to put in a known ST face to help launch the show; even TNG had Bones (at 137 years old) in its pilot.   But that was a quick little bit cameo rather than a role.   If Kirk were seen on a monitor screen (like Cochrane in ENT's "Broken Bow") I might be okay with that.

I suppose it really depends on how it's done, and if it goes well with the story. 

I think a two-parter in S2 or 3 that makes sense is fine and dandy. The first season realy should belong entirely to the new crew.

I think a two-parter in S2 or 3 that makes sense is fine and dandy. The first season realy should belong entirely to the new crew.

^
Very much agree.

If the show works on its own?  Then crossovers and guest-appearances by known Trek stars becomes more viable (like TNG waiting till S3 to roll out "Sarek").  But in this case, it might be more problematic because of the time period of Discovery.   If it were a sequel to 24th century Trek it might be a bit easier, but for a prequel show?  I don't know... options become a bit more limited. 

Yes, Shatner has played plenty of parts since Kirk.  He's done a pretty solid job doing things that kept him working.  Not too many people have had success in three different series', not to mention all the hosting and humor he does.  But in Star Trek, Shatner is James T. Kirk.  It's his most famous and most iconic role.  If they are setting Star Trek in the prime universe, and Shatner appears, it has to be as James T. Kirk.

If I were to have any say in it, and I don't, I would put him under heavy makeup.  And yes, having him as a Klingon would be a nice bit of irony casting.   But other than a sendoff stunt, I really can't think of a good reason to put Shatner into the mix.

For me, that would make no sense.  He would be on the show, but not on the show and it defeats the purpose of having Shatner.  Shatner would be needed to sell subscriptions and get people to watch.  If you don't even notice him when he's there, there's no point.  It's like having Khan as the main villain and doing no advertising for it.

It would be a much different story than a story with Shatner, but sure that would work.