Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scotty

A possible therory about this lead?

134 posts in this topic

This is an interesting thought--could they completely revamp the show due to the delay, and NOT make it take place 10 years before TOS? 

They only delayed a few months, not a year.  That's not really a lot of time...

How hard could it be?  I'm going to guess and say they are not going to be truly faithful to the prime universe and will have set designs that wouldn't go well with the design of the Pike era Enterprise.

So unless George Kirk is going to be a major character, they could set this after the launch of the E-B, and there are a lot of things to explore.

They could have things happen and use any tech that was invented during the TOS run and even have some beginnings of TNG era tech.  Holodecks for example, might be doable.

It would also leave room for older TOS actors to guest should they want to go that route without any time travel.

They could have things happen and use any tech that was invented during the TOS run and even have some beginnings of TNG era tech.  Holodecks for example, might be doable.

^
Not really, no.

Holodecks were new a new innovation in starships in TNG.   You have episodes where new personnel (like Riker in the pilot, and Dr. Pulaski in S2) are 'oohing' and 'ah-ing' at the holodeck.   Now this is one of those areas where ST's own continuity trips over it's feet, because in TAS (which is my head canon, anyway) they had a cruder form just called the 'recreation deck' (seen in "The Practical Joker") but it was a similar concept to what they have in ST Continues. 

Maybe a late 23rd or early 24th century holodeck might be doable if it were something on a planet or starbase, but too big or complex to imagine on a starship (at that time).   Maybe that's why everyone is oohing and ahing at them later on; because they've managed to incorporate them onto a starship (?).   It's a bit like when minivans started coming with standard TVs and DVD players, I guess... :laugh:

Well, I'm not married to the idea of a true TNG level holodeck, but like you said, they did have something on TAS.  And your thoughts about the technology could totally fit into a post-E-B era.  When TVs were invented, they were bulky and black and white.  A holodeck in this era would be something far from as perfect as TNG, but something interesting.

Setting things in this era would have a lot of benefits to this show as well.  Not just using TOS actors and not having to de-age them either.  Aliens that were contacted on TOS, including Romulans, could be used.  You wouldn't have the "but they never knew these guys on TOS" issue.  And set designs could be much more modern without the same complaint.  You couldn't invent tech that didn't exist 80 years later, but you could certainly play some games that would work. 

Well, I'm not married to the idea of a true TNG level holodeck, but like you said, they did have something on TAS.  And your thoughts about the technology could totally fit into a post-E-B era.  When TVs were invented, they were bulky and black and white.  A holodeck in this era would be something far from as perfect as TNG, but something interesting.

Setting things in this era would have a lot of benefits to this show as well.  Not just using TOS actors and not having to de-age them either.  Aliens that were contacted on TOS, including Romulans, could be used.  You wouldn't have the "but they never knew these guys on TOS" issue.  And set designs could be much more modern without the same complaint.  You couldn't invent tech that didn't exist 80 years later, but you could certainly play some games that would work. 

To me, prequels are dead ends for the most part.  It's beginning a premise by painting oneself into a creative corner right from the start.  

Personally, I'd rather it be set AFTER the end of VGR (maybe 100 or more years later perhaps) because I don't want another prequel series, but... a prequel series is what we got, so I'm going to try to make my peace with it.  :)

The talent behind the scenes (Joe Menosky, Nick Meyer, Bryan Fuller) has me intrigued enough to see them try to make a go of it.  

To me, the only era of a prequel is pre-TOS.  Anything after TOS is not a prequel.  There is a 70 year gap or so of untapped time period.  Lots of room for the Federation to expand.  In theory you could introduce aliens that join and later leave the Federation. 

So yeah, this would be a prequel series as is, but if they shifted the era to post-E-B, it wouldn't be.

I like the idea that it's close enough to Kirk's time to have familiarity.  I always thought that Enterprise should have taken place about 25 years before TOS, with the actual NCC-1701, under the command of Captain April.  They could have done so many more cool things with that.

Star Trek to me begins with TOS.  That's the era that I feel we need to look at to determine if it's a prequel.  TNG isn't the start of the franchise.  It's a sequel.  Something set in the E-B era would be a sequel to TOS, and prequel to the sequel to TOS.

To me, the only era of a prequel is pre-TOS.  Anything after TOS is not a prequel.  There is a 70 year gap or so of untapped time period.  Lots of room for the Federation to expand.  In theory you could introduce aliens that join and later leave the Federation. 

So yeah, this would be a prequel series as is, but if they shifted the era to post-E-B, it wouldn't be.

I like the idea that it's close enough to Kirk's time to have familiarity.  I always thought that Enterprise should have taken place about 25 years before TOS, with the actual NCC-1701, under the command of Captain April.  They could have done so many more cool things with that.

Star Trek to me begins with TOS.  That's the era that I feel we need to look at to determine if it's a prequel.  TNG isn't the start of the franchise.  It's a sequel.  Something set in the E-B era would be a sequel to TOS, and prequel to the sequel to TOS.

To me, when it surpasses an era where we know the current state of Federation affairs?  It's a prequel. 

We know after the era of the Ent-B, there will be an Ent-C,  Picard will command the Stargazer, Soong will develop his androids, and there will be the Tomed incident, etc.  etc. etc.  You may have a longer reach to the next wall, but you'll still hit it sooner or later.  

So for me, it's still a prequel, even if there are pockets of un-tapped territory.   To me, that's more fodder for a novel or a fanfic/fan-film than a new TV series.  

But if you set a new series AFTER anything we've seen before?  ANYTHING can happen.   The Federation council can be replaced with a new ruling body, perhaps (?).  New aliens could happen.   New alliances can be formed.   Starfleet could be replaced with a Spacetime fleet.   Who knows?   But a prequel boxes you in.  And sooner or later, you will hit that proverbial wall... 

To me, when it surpasses an era where we know the current state of Federation affairs?  It's a prequel. 

I guess there's really no wrong answer there.  Kind of a semantic thing.

Thing is though--yes, you can certainly explore post-Nemesis eras.  For me, I think it's just pushing too far down the road.  You will either have a show that's not recognizable, and goes contrary to what GR sought, or you will have more of the same, just different faces with Star Trek: Generic Crew.

I think this time around, they are starting with decent writers and no Rick Berman, so there's that.  But I think when you set it matters because you want it to be Star Trek.

I think setting things before TOS is just a little too limiting.  Setting something in the same era or later at least allows for a lot of things to happen while still having the technology.

If Kirk and crew did something first, I don't want to see this crew doing the same thing--unless it was set after.

We know after the era of the Ent-B, there will be an Ent-C,  Picard will command the Stargazer, Soong will develop his androids, and there will be the Tomed incident, etc.  etc. etc.  You may have a longer reach to the next wall, but you'll still hit it sooner or later.  

So for me, it's still a prequel, even if there are pockets of un-tapped territory.   To me, that's more fodder for a novel or a fanfic/fan-film than a new TV series.  

But if you set a new series AFTER anything we've seen before?  ANYTHING can happen.   The Federation council can be replaced with a new ruling body, perhaps (?).  New aliens could happen.   New alliances can be formed.   Starfleet could be replaced with a Spacetime fleet.   Who knows?   But a prequel boxes you in.  And sooner or later, you will hit that proverbial wall... 

I agree, and also a soft reboot idea is becoming a cliche. Give us a good Star Trek, not one based on whiz bang pop spectacle, not all the time, but on the 'human adventure' or whatnot.