Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scotty

A possible therory about this lead?

134 posts in this topic

Devin only very rarely actually does get onto to something accurate...but I agree that we need something that can show that humanity can be better than this...as much as they needed it in the 60s, we need it now. 

Well...

******** SPOILER ALERT!! ********

http://collider.com/star-trek-discovery-news-bryan-fuller-nicholas-meyer/

The first officer/lead character will be referred to as "Number One"; but of course that doesn't mean she is the Number One from "The Cage." Primarily because that monicker was also used for Will Riker by Capt. Picard, so my guess is that it's just a common monicker for Starfleet executive officers; like XO in the US navy.   

And according to the above article from Collider.com, the first hour will be scripted by Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman, with the 2nd hour being (drumroll please!) scripted by Nicholas Meyer (!!).  Meyer is not just supervising, as previously thought; he will be actively writing at least one episode as well.   This is a real 'break out the Chateau Picard' moment, IMO...:thumbup:

Nice to see Meyer is penning a script! Looking forward to what more he can bring to a franchise he helped shape back in the 80s!

Let's tease this lead character out. Let me say that Im not being critical of what I have read. I trust that Fuller will make this work. But how will it work? Im interested in the narrative structure. 

First of all, there are 13 episodes that will be serialized. Already we have a story structure that will be very different from all previous Treks and may support the concept of the lead not being the captain. But still... 

Fuller also said it will be an ensemble. So DSC will be an ensemble with a lead, like all Treks since TNG, except that the lead won't be the captain, it will be the first officer named Number One. How can this work?

At first this may seem problematic: if the captain is part of the ensemble, in most if not all episodes, but not the lead, won't he or she draw attention away from Number One by nature of the power dynamic? Unless the power dynamic between the captain and Number One is an important part of the narrative, for example, they disagree on crucial mission decisions, and the audience is supposed to side with Number One.  

I keep coming back to the idea that Fuller must have a solid reason--in service of storytelling--not to make her the captain. That good stories will flow from her perspective as 2nd in command. 

Still, in stories, power dynamics are crucial. And like water flows down hill, attention tends to run toward the people wielding power in a story. Especially when you have a story set in a hierarchal, militaristic setting. There are many examples where the captain/general/king is a sidelined usually off screen narrative force that the leads have to deal with. But on a ship, the captain probably has to be a regular presence, especially if your lead is the first officer. 

The lead of a show is the center of gravity. On Trek's most ensemble show--DS9--Brooks's Sisko was the lead because all the characters had to eventually turn to him for leadership. This is the captain's job after all, and it's been true of all Trek captains. So having the center of gravity not be the captain necessarily means that the other members of the ensemble will not look to the captain during the course of the story. This will be problematic, but I guess Fuller with make it work.    

Let's tease this lead character out. Let me say that Im not being critical of what I have read. I trust that Fuller will make this work. But how will it work? Im interested in the narrative structure. 

First of all, there are 13 episodes that will be serialized. Already we have a story structure that will be very different from all previous Treks and may support the concept of the lead not being the captain. But still... 

Fuller also said it will be an ensemble. So DSC will be an ensemble with a lead, like all Treks since TNG, except that the lead won't be the captain, it will be the first officer named Number One. How can this work?

At first this may seem problematic: if the captain is part of the ensemble, in most if not all episodes, but not the lead, won't he or she draw attention away from Number One by nature of the power dynamic? Unless the power dynamic between the captain and Number One is an important part of the narrative, for example, they disagree on crucial mission decisions, and the audience is supposed to side with Number One.  

I keep coming back to the idea that Fuller must have a solid reason--in service of storytelling--not to make her the captain. That good stories will flow from her perspective as 2nd in command. 

Still, in stories, power dynamics are crucial. And like water flows down hill, attention tends to run toward the people wielding power in a story. Especially when you have a story set in a hierarchal, militaristic setting. There are many examples where the captain/general/king is a sidelined usually off screen narrative force that the leads have to deal with. But on a ship, the captain probably has to be a regular presence, especially if your lead is the first officer. 

The lead of a show is the center of gravity. On Trek's most ensemble show--DS9--Brooks's Sisko was the lead because all the characters had to eventually turn to him for leadership. This is the captain's job after all, and it's been true of all Trek captains. So having the center of gravity not be the captain necessarily means that the other members of the ensemble will not look to the captain during the course of the story. This will be problematic, but I guess Fuller with make it work.    

Perhaps the captain isn't very good. Or as others have suggested, the captain isn't human. Maybe a non human that isn't all cuddly and sympathetic. The alien captain is making decisions that don't make sense to a human but make perfect sense to the other aliens on the ship. 

Maybe he's an alien captain, or incompetent, or an incompetent alien, and, over the course of 13 weeks she figures out that she has to take command...which sort of lends credence to me to the Garth of Izar going nuts idea.

Perhaps the captain isn't very good. Or as others have suggested, the captain isn't human. Maybe a non human that isn't all cuddly and sympathetic. The alien captain is making decisions that don't make sense to a human but make perfect sense to the other aliens on the ship. 

Maybe he's an alien captain, or incompetent, or an incompetent alien, and, over the course of 13 weeks she figures out that she has to take command...which sort of lends credence to me to the Garth of Izar going nuts idea.

^
This could be.

Kind of like Sisko's Vulcan skipper in "Emissary"; maybe a captain who isn't our usual 'hook' human character.   The show will be about how the audience surrogate, the aforementioned Number One, relates to an alien in command.   Since Spock was the first 'official' Vulcan in Starfleet (as in Academy graduate; unlike ENT's T'Pol), I'm guessing the Discovery captain (if an alien) won't be a Vulcan....

I like it better if the alien captain is just alien. The Captain is only one of 5 of his species on the ship. He makes decisions that make no sense to humans but makes perfect sense to the other members of his species. The aliens try to explain why he had to do what he did but their explanations don't make any sense. Is it prejudice if the humans want to get rid of a perfectly competent captain simply because they don't make any sense? 

I like it better if the alien captain is just alien. The Captain is only one of 5 of his species on the ship. He makes decisions that make no sense to humans but makes perfect sense to the other members of his species. The aliens try to explain why he had to do what he did but their explanations don't make any sense. Is it prejudice if the humans want to get rid of a perfectly competent captain simply because they don't make any sense? 

I would like it a bit better if the captain were the ONLY one of his/her race aboard, and thus challenges the entire crew.   They have a hard time believing he/she earned their rank, given his/her seeming inscrutability.   The first officer would have the difficult task of being the captain's 'voice' for the crew, while trying to understand him/her as well.  And maybe the first officer might have to, at some future date, take command herself.    This could be an interesting arc for the first batch of episodes.   At the very least it's a situation we haven't seen before in a ST series. 

I would like it a bit better if the captain were the ONLY one of his/her race aboard, and thus challenges the entire crew.   They have a hard time believing he/she earned their rank, given his/her seeming inscrutability.   The first officer would have the difficult task of being the captain's 'voice' for the crew, while trying to understand him/her as well.  And maybe the first officer might have to, at some future date, take command herself.    This could be an interesting arc for the first batch of episodes.   At the very least it's a situation we haven't seen before in a ST series. 

What you described sounds like what Chakotay was meant to be for the Maquis on VOY. I hope Discovery makes "Number One" a stronger, better written character than him. ;)

That's so difficult though. Perhaps you ask too much.

What you described sounds like what Chakotay was meant to be for the Maquis on VOY. I hope Discovery makes "Number One" a stronger, better written character than him. ;)

Kind of, but the Maquis and Chakotay were never really the central focus of VGR. 
Maybe if they were, we would've had a genuine precedent for a ST series with a non-captain lead character, but alas... VGR was what it was. 
:S

"It was what it was." is pretty much the show's epitaph.

I'd like to see a really strange alien. Maybe an alien that's one person with three bodies telepathically linked. When their together they sometimes sound like the Binars. But the three bodies can have three separate conversations at the same time.  People want to pick their favorite one but they all three have exactly the same personality because they are one person. But in one of the middle episodes one of the body dies. Is the strange behavior of the captain normal or are he having a mental breakdown? (Incorrect English on purpose.)

I'd like to see a really strange alien. Maybe an alien that's one person with three bodies telepathically linked. When their together they sometimes sound like the Binars. But the three bodies can have three separate conversations at the same time.  People want to pick their favorite one but they all three have exactly the same personality because they are one person. But in one of the middle episodes one of the body dies. Is the strange behavior of the captain normal or are he having a mental breakdown? (Incorrect English on purpose.)

^
Which would make the captain seem truly 'unknowable' to the crew, to be sure.

But I'd be careful about getting too deep into an alien species that suddenly 'disappears' in regular  Star Trek.   Frankly, even an Andorian would even get my vote.   Andorians have group marriages of four; how does that work?   Despite learning more about them in ENT, there are still quite a few unanswered questions about that race.   However, a new alien race we've never seen before would work better in terms of creating a new backstory; the writers could avoid continuity knots that way, too.   You wouldn't have audience members saying, "Oh, Tellarites don't DO that, yada, yada, yada..."

^

But I'd be careful about getting too deep into an alien species that suddenly 'disappears' in regular  Star Trek.   Frankly, even an Andorian would even get my vote.   Andorians have group marriages of four; how does that work?   Despite learning more about them in ENT, there are still quite a few unanswered questions about that race.   However, a new alien race we've never seen before would work better in terms of creating a new backstory; the writers could avoid continuity knots that way, too.   You wouldn't have audience members saying, "Oh, Tellarites don't DO that, yada, yada, yada..."

You'd create another "Xindi problem", though. "Who are these aliens and why have we never seen them before or even heard of them, this makes no sense, etc etc etc". ;) 

^

You'd create another "Xindi problem", though. "Who are these aliens and why have we never seen them before or even heard of them, this makes no sense, etc etc etc". ;) 

True.

But the Xindi fit in for me (now, at least) because (as you and I have discussed before), I view ENT as a 'side-pocket' of new continuity.   I think the temporal incursion of the movie "First Contact" 'created' the NX-01 timeline anyway, and the Xindi are only a further corruption within that new sequence of events.   The Xindi are also now mentioned as part of the Kelvin timeline as well (in ST Beyond), so one can assume (as I do) that the Kelvin Timeline is a further distortion of the already deformed First Contact-contaminated timeline (which eventually righted itself back to a recognizable form, admittedly against the laws of entropy). 

But yes, by and large, you're right; having the captain of Discovery as part of an all-new species we've never heard of (esp. within the prime timeline) will no doubt cause a lot of the faithful to scratch their heads, I'm sure...

^

True.

But the Xindi fit in for me (now, at least) because (as you and I have discussed before), I view ENT as a 'side-pocket' of new continuity.   I think the temporal incursion of the movie "First Contact" 'created' the NX-01 timeline anyway, and the Xindi are only a further corruption within that new sequence of events.   The Xindi are also now mentioned as part of the Kelvin timeline as well (in ST Beyond), so one can assume (as I do) that the Kelvin Timeline is a further distortion of the already deformed First Contact-contaminated timeline (which eventually righted itself back to a recognizable form, admittedly against the laws of entropy). 

But yes, by and large, you're right; having the captain of Discovery as part of an all-new species we've never heard of (esp. within the prime timeline) will no doubt cause a lot of the faithful to scratch their heads, I'm sure...

They'd do more than scratch their heads I'm afraid - the traditionalists are already all over Fuller's statement of "fresh/new canon interpretation". It doesn't sit well with them at all that the uniforms won't be the ones we see in "The Cage", for example. Stuff like this upsets the TOS canon traditionalists, and once they're sufficiently upset, it's difficult to get them to change their minds. Or they watch and hate on everything they see (like it was with ENT).

Fuller said the show is set in the Prime Universe, as ENT was (supposed to be), so, the traditionalists expect him to stay very faithful to the TOS rules that have already been established. People were angry about the Xindi, and we'd have the same old outcry again if Discovery came up with a completely new species AND made one of them the captain (and possible antagonist for the main character) - "Why is the captain an alien we've never heard of, this doesn't fit into canon, if these aliens are so important to the Federation and Starfleet then why have we never heard of them before?" and so on and so on. I can already hear it. lol

Which is why I keep saying it's a bad, bad, BAD idea to make a prequel set before TOS (we all saw what happened when ENT tried), but hey, maybe Fuller WANTS to be faced with the full wrath from the traditionalists... he's definitely looking for it already. ;) 

And the traditionalists whine about everything anyway, so what do you gain by catering to them or lose by not?

And, as Vie will tell you, while the traditionalists will be happy, everyone else will snicker.

Edited by prometheus59650

And the traditionalists whine about everything anyway, so what do you gain by catering to them or lose by not?

And, as Vie will tell you, while the traditionalists will be happy, everyone else will snicker.

I just think it's unfortunate that the Trek fandom appears to have the "ENT war" all over again already - it's all so similar to what happened when they announced that ENT would be a prequel.

I'm not saying, however, that TOS-Is-The-Only-True-Trek traditionalists should dictate the path of the franchise. (If they had had their way, TNG would never have even been given a chance. I'm fully aware of that.) I simply wish there could be some sort of middle ground. Like, a series set in the far future. That would have angered some of the traditionalists as well, naturally, the worst of them DO hate everything that isn't Kirk Kirk Kirk, but it at least wouldn't have given them additional fuel for their hate. Making a TOS prequel and "reimagine canon" and having "Number One" but not the "Cage" uniforms is just what REALLY makes them angry AND what brings out the ABSOLUTE worst "that's NOT Gene's Star Trek" gatekeepers. I'm simply concerned that the fighting will resume all over again. I simply remember poor ENT fans who literally had to found their own message board because they ran into nothing but hate on other Trek boards. I also remember vicious ENT fans hating on everyone who raised legitimate questions about the admittedly sometimes rather wild canon interpretation of the show. I honestly don't want to see this whole fight repeated. :( 

Space is big. Establish right away that the Discovery is stationed at the opposite side of space from the Enterprise.  The Enterprise is the flagship of the fleet. It could easily come up in conversation. "Oh you served in the Enterprise. They're usually at the other side of space near the neutral zone. I'm glad we're not there. Boring, nothing happens."

For example, if someone lives in Germany, they see people from other European states all of the time. They also see people from widely traveled and rich countries such as the U.S, China, and Japan. Or heavily populated countries that have a colonial connection to a nearby country like India or Pakistan. But you could have a show set in Germany and never see someone from New Zealand or Uruguay and it wouldn't seem unusual.  

TOS saw aliens that travel far and are numerous  but there are many aliens that don't like space travel or there are only a handful in space or only travel to nearby stars. How many aliens are only in one episode? If the captain of the ship is one of only 10 of their species that is in space, so it's not surprising that they haven't been seen before. They also didn't go to the academy so they're a captain by an unusual method. As long as they can establish why a member of a rare species ended up as a captain it should be okay. 

And I agree that why should they bow down to traditionalists? If they have Klingons as a peaceful, timid people, the traditionalists have a right to complain. If they complain because something contradicts something said once in casual dialog in one episode, too bad. 

Space is big.

This alone is enough (or SHOULD be enough) to quell the whole "Why don't we see all these new aliens later on in TOS/TNG/DS9VOY era? PLOT HOLE!"

Space is utterly massive. We don't see Tellarites in TNG or VOY (they are mentioned in DS9) but I don't consider it a problem. We don't see Andorians in the later series either. Minus the really weird looking hologram of one in that episode with Data's daughter. This isn't even an issue.

There should be plenty of new aliens in Discovery. I don't know how many aliens were in Starfleet by this era, but regardless...

The idea that we should have seen or heard of Xindi, Denobulans, or Suliban in the later series is ridiculous.

Space is big.

This alone is enough (or SHOULD be enough) to quell the whole "Why don't we see all these new aliens later on in TOS/TNG/DS9VOY era? PLOT HOLE!"

Space is utterly massive. We don't see Tellarites in TNG or VOY (they are mentioned in DS9) but I don't consider it a problem. We don't see Andorians in the later series either. Minus the really weird looking hologram of one in that episode with Data's daughter. This isn't even an issue.

There should be plenty of new aliens in Discovery. I don't know how many aliens were in Starfleet by this era, but regardless...

The idea that we should have seen or heard of Xindi, Denobulans, or Suliban in the later series is ridiculous.

Yeah, I agree, I never felt the Xindi were a "canon violation". But then, I was always leaning to the side of a very lenient or creative canon interpretation.

But I did have an issue with the Xindi, because I felt they defied the purpose of the prequel premise. When you make a prequel, you're supposed to tell us how things we know fell into place.  When you tell us an entirely new story about entirely new races and people, you don't need a prequel.

It looked like admitting the decision for a prequel was a failure.

I mean, when I went watching the Star Wars prequels, I expected a story about Obi Wan and Anakin/Vader, and if they had made movies about entirely new characters totally unconnected to the OT, I'd have felt annoyed, too.

Likewise, I expected ENT to show us about Vulcans and other races we know from the other shows that take place later (which they did to some extent, with Vulcans, Andorians, to a lesser extent Klingons and Tellarites ... and at least in season 4, Tholians and Romulans too). I expected ENT to show us events like the Romulan War, the formation of the Federation, maybe the first contact with races that "later" are established, such as Trill or Betazoids or Cardassians.

If that's not what they're going to show us, but instead an entire season with an arc about a major war with a new race -- why on earth make it a prequel?

So the Xindi were absolutely not a canon violation ... but they didn't make sense storytelling-wise, IMO.

Edited by Sim

Space is big.

^
Very much this.

In a Federation that spans (by the 24th century) 1,000 light-years, there will be MANY areas of that massive region that aren't revisited often; or are perhaps only 'seen' via subspace.    Not to mention that some of those members and protectorates will probably value their relative isolation. 

I just think it's unfortunate that the Trek fandom appears to have the "ENT war" all over again already - it's all so similar to what happened when they announced that ENT would be a prequel.

I'm not saying, however, that TOS-Is-The-Only-True-Trek traditionalists should dictate the path of the franchise. (If they had had their way, TNG would never have even been given a chance. I'm fully aware of that.) I simply wish there could be some sort of middle ground. Like, a series set in the far future. That would have angered some of the traditionalists as well, naturally, the worst of them DO hate everything that isn't Kirk Kirk Kirk, but it at least wouldn't have given them additional fuel for their hate. Making a TOS prequel and "reimagine canon" and having "Number One" but not the "Cage" uniforms is just what REALLY makes them angry AND what brings out the ABSOLUTE worst "that's NOT Gene's Star Trek" gatekeepers. I'm simply concerned that the fighting will resume all over again. I simply remember poor ENT fans who literally had to found their own message board because they ran into nothing but hate on other Trek boards. I also remember vicious ENT fans hating on everyone who raised legitimate questions about the admittedly sometimes rather wild canon interpretation of the show. I honestly don't want to see this whole fight repeated. :( 

^
Me neither.

And I don't want to see a 'new' series using technology and costumes from 50 years ago.   It'll look utterly ridiculous.   Even the "Mirror..." episodes of ENT had to be taken with a grain of salt.   Hoshi openly laughs when Archer comes out wearing Kirk's 2nd season wraparound tunic.

I would rather Discovery chart its own course; finding a niche between ENT and TOS, but with a modern perspective.   Looking at the exterior of the ship itself, I'd say they're not adhering too strongly to TOS' look or vibe.   Maybe Discovery is an advanced prototype?    Who knows, and frankly who cares. 

How about we ST fans simply judge the show on its content, rather than just its trappings and superficial nonsense? 

I've re-watched ENT a bit lately, and I've come to appreciate it more and more each time.   It was brave and ballsy to plot its own course.  It gave occasional nods and salutes to ST continuity, but it didn't become a slave to them.    Arguably the "temporal cold war" gave them a bit of wiggle room, but for me?  The movie "First Contact" rewrote the books a bit anyway; so ALL of post-FC past and future are liable to be a bit 'different' now.... ;)