Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scotty

A possible therory about this lead?

134 posts in this topic

Everyday for the last 3 or 4 years I check any Star Trek news. When the news broke about the lead, it was to be a Lt. Commander in a lead. I was reading an artical today with this theory sort of theory, it'll be a character we have met before. Number One from the original "The Cage". As some of you hard core fans like myself will know Spock served on the Enterprise as a crew member of Captain Pike, in 2254. The series is meant to be set 10 years before Kirk's original 5 year mission in 2265.

heres the link.

http://www.blastr.com/2016-8-19/star-trek-discovery-have-we-already-met-main-character

Edited by Scotty

It has the virtue of being a reasonable theory.

I'm just not sure I buy it yet.

I like that idea, actually. When I got into TOS, the real one, I found her character pretty interesting.

I wonder if there are any rights issues with the character. Gene has the only writing credit on 'The Cage' but did he come up with the character himself? Would they have to pay a royalty to Gene's estate to use Number One again?

I wonder if there are any rights issues with the character. Gene has the only writing credit on 'The Cage' but did he come up with the character himself? Would they have to pay a royalty to Gene's estate to use Number One again?

There may well be, and that may be the best argument against the theory holding water. TPTB have been notoriously unwilling to reference previous work, so as to avoid paying royalties. It's what kept Tom Paris from being called the Nick Locarno he actually was, and even what forced Data to say there was nothing like the 'null hole in space' in Starfleet records in "Where Silence Has Lease" when it was almost exactly the same phenomena as in "The Immunity Syndrome." 

Well I believe that Gene's estate is currently being maintained by Rod Roddenberry, who happens to be hired on as an Executive Producer for the show...maybe it is a reason he was tapped for the position, if not it at least means there is one less stumbling block to that. That would make this situation different from Locarno (because he would've meant royalties to the writers of the First Duty for every single episode he appeared in), whereas in this situation they already would be, and they could contractually hammer that out easier. 

Edited by kenman

Well I believe that Gene's estate is currently being maintained by Rod Roddenberry, who happens to be hired on as an Executive Producer for the show...maybe it is a reason he was tapped for the position, if not it at least means there is one less stumbling block to that. That would make this situation different from Locarno (because he would've meant royalties to the writers of the First Duty for every single episode he appeared in), whereas in this situation they already would be, and they could contractually hammer that out easier. 

But then, I don't know what, if any stake or say Rod's half-sisters have in any of it either. There was years of litigation following Roddenberry's death. 

Problem is, if the show is set exactly ten years before Kirk takes command of the 1701 then Number One is serving as Pikes #1 on the Enterprise at this time. 

Problem is, if the show is set exactly ten years before Kirk takes command of the 1701 then Number One is serving as Pikes #1 on the Enterprise at this time. 

^
Agreed.

And, as the teaser reminded us, "New Characters, New Aliens..." 

Isn't the lead supposed to be a woman of color?  Number one isn't.  Obviously, if they want to go the number one route, she wouldn't be, and there would be plenty of room for a new character to be anything, but I would think that rumor would discount that theory.

^
Agreed.

you'll find the chronology, states that The Cage took place in 2254. This make sense of what Spock's statement that he served with Pike for 11 years in the first season. It is possible ahe left the Enterprise in 2255. In a sense she'd be a new character. She never had a name only known as Number One.  we might even see the Enterprise, it'd be interesting to see. Time will tell. 

^
Agreed.

you'll find the chronology, states that The Cage took place in 2254. This make sense of what Spock's statement that he served with Pike for 11 years in the first season. It is possible ahe left the Enterprise in 2255. In a sense she'd be a new character. She never had a name only known as Number One.  we might even see the Enterprise, it'd be interesting to see. Time will tell. 

Possible.  Anything's possible I suppose, but I doubt it.  

I have a feeling that they won't put any familiar characters in the new cast; can't say exactly why, but I have a feeling we'll be surprised. 

I don't know why they never accepted my old pitch, Star Trek: Janitor.

It is set on Earth Spacedock, level 1047(hommage!), it follows a janitor, previously posted at Starfleet Academy (he had a brief cameo in Trek II) cleaning rooms, offices and hallways. Sometimes, he has an issue with his weird cleaning backpack and the Starfleet Corps of Engineer takes its sweet time to address his work order. Sometimes people are dickish to him because it makes them feel good to belittle and blame someone for a dirt spot under a sonic lamp (I know, genius right?). One day, he finds a dead junior officer in a closet (Oooh, dark and gritty!). The same day, the Excelsior is sabotaged. Coincidence? He thinks not, so he tells everybody, but nobody listens, so he keeps on cleaning stuff.

What's not to love?

Edited by Tupperfan

I don't know why they never accepted my old pitch, Star Trek: Janitor.

It is set on Earth Spacedock, level 1047(hommage!), it follows a janitor, previously posted at Starfleet Academy (he had a brief cameo in Trek II) cleaning rooms, offices and hallways. Sometimes, he has an issue with his weird cleaning backpack and the Starfleet Corps of Engineer takes its sweet time to address his work order. Sometimes people are dickish to him because it makes them feel good to belittle and blame someone for a dirt spot under a sonic lamp (I know, genius right?). One day, he finds a dead junior officer in a closet (Oooh, dark and gritty!). The same day, the Excelsior is sabotaged. Coincidence? He thinks not, so he tells everybody, but nobody listens, so he keeps on cleaning stuff.

What's not to love?

There was a '70s comedy I remember about an interstellar garbageman called "Quark" (with Richard Benjamin, not Armin Shimerman... hehe). 

quark%2B1%2Ba.jpg

It made "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" look like "The Martian." 

I like Space Janitor and Lee Kelso: The Early Years. :biggrin:

See, there's so much storytelling territory in the Trekverse that could be mined. I don't know about the Number One theory, but it definitely seems as if a general 'Lower Decks' sensibility is the way to go. It sounds like they are, by centering on a character who isn't the captain. Who will she meet on her way to the top? Bunty Grimes, the quartermaster who issues phasers. Vulcan waitress T'Pee in the cafeteria; Ensign Tommy Peele in charge of equipment to chart gaseous anomalies. These wayward souls become her faithful crew. This is all so exciting.  

Vie, as usual, your recall astounds me. Did anyone ever see that show? Richard Benjamin was in the original Westworld. I liked him because he was so John-Boy wholesome, but somehow could play a hero. I wonder if he'll make a cameo in the new one. 

There's enough there that I think it would be interesting to do a show on the Enterprise, with Kirk in command, in the lower decks.

We could see adventures that we never saw before.  We only saw 79 Kirk adventures.  It was a 5 year mission.

I like Space Janitor and Lee Kelso: The Early Years. :biggrin:

See, there's so much storytelling territory in the Trekverse that could be mined. I don't know about the Number One theory, but it definitely seems as if a general 'Lower Decks' sensibility is the way to go. It sounds like they are, by centering on a character who isn't the captain. Who will she meet on her way to the top? Bunty Grimes, the quartermaster who issues phasers. Vulcan waitress T'Pee in the cafeteria; Ensign Tommy Peele in charge of equipment to chart gaseous anomalies. These wayward souls become her faithful crew. This is all so exciting.  

Vie, as usual, your recall astounds me. Did anyone ever see that show? Richard Benjamin was in the original Westworld. I liked him because he was so John-Boy wholesome, but somehow could play a hero. I wonder if he'll make a cameo in the new one. 

^
Yes, an occasional episode.  It was cute for the time; a quick little Star Wars-cashin comedy.  

And yes, I loved "Westworld" (and 1976's "Futureworld" with Peter Fonda, too!).   That movie almost made me pee my pants when I was 7 or so (the age when I saw it in a theatre; way too young!).   Scared some serious hell out of me.   Yul Brynner was the original 'terminator' IMO. 

I like a 'lower decks' idea in theory, but I'm not sure I would want it to sustain a series.   I think the spoilers mentioned that this female lead (whom I don't think is "Number One") would be a commander, so it's not as if she'd be Ensign McPeelingPotatoes.   

There's enough there that I think it would be interesting to do a show on the Enterprise, with Kirk in command, in the lower decks.

We could see adventures that we never saw before.  We only saw 79 Kirk adventures.  It was a 5 year mission.

Boldly retreading the same old same old.   

That's the kind of thing for fanfic to explore, not a new show.   And I truly believe (as I've seen it firsthand last February) regular audiences would laugh TOS-era technology and costumes right off the screen (I sunk in my seat as people laughed at the tabulating computers and flip communicators of ST Continues' "White Iris" in a packed ballroom). 

I would love to read such an idea in a book or fanfic, or see it in a future (if any) ST Continues, but such a premise would not BE a new series; it'd simply be TOS from another perspective.   No one outside of a ST message board would watch.

What I sincerely hope the new show delivers is a much needed sense of ST-optimism (much as ST Beyond did) and 'can-do' future.    Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of dystopias (even though given the world's current state, they seem to be our more likely scenarios). 

Boldly retreading the same old same old.   

That's the kind of thing for fanfic to explore, not a new show.   And I truly believe (as I've seen it firsthand last February) regular audiences would laugh TOS-era technology and costumes right off the screen (I sunk in my seat as people laughed at the tabulating computers and flip communicators of ST Continues' "White Iris" in a packed ballroom). 

I would love to read such an idea in a book or fanfic, or see it in a future (if any) ST Continues, but such a premise would not BE a new series; it'd simply be TOS from another perspective.   No one outside of a ST message board would watch.

This.

Nemesis: The Series. (i.e. Trek playing to the people they've already got, pretty much regardless.) 

And how do you think Discovery is going to build an audience, hiding on a pay streaming service that so few people use?  Only the hardcore fan is going to actually pay to watch that, and not all of them.  Streaming may have some possibilities, but to not take advantage of Netflix, the one people actually have, is ridiculous.

And how do you think Discovery is going to build an audience, hiding on a pay streaming service that so few people use?  Only the hardcore fan is going to actually pay to watch that, and not all of them.  Streaming may have some possibilities, but to not take advantage of Netflix, the one people actually have, is ridiculous.

^
There are some people who already have CBSAA for Big Bang Theory and other shows.  Maybe a few of them might give it a try.

And no, I don't think a new series will succeed by only catering to the faithful.  See: the lesson of TNG.  It created a whole new branch of Star Trek with all-new characters who went on to become their own thing, FULLY independent of TOS.

To this day, and on this very board in fact, there are many who grew up with TNG who never really liked or got into TOS.  I know quite a few myself.

There are also NuTrek fans, who've only paid to see the movies (and enjoyed them) but aren't really into 'TV Star Trek' (and yes, I know a few of those as well).  

Let's also not forget that the US and Canada are the only countries where the show ISN'T gonna be on Netflix. The rest of the world DOES get it on Netflix.

You can watch BBT on regular TV.  Yes, there are certainly people that already have the streaming, but the number is not very significant when compared to those with access to regular TV, and does it make sense to target those people?  Logically, why not make the show available to people who want to watch it?

Judging by the box office of STB, things aren't that great right now, which sucks because STB may have been the best of the 3 movies.  Is it really wise to push a series onto a streaming service that so few people have?  Who is going to join that streaming just for Star Trek?  Hardcore fans...and not all of them.  I'm not adding a service just to watch this show.

Yes, netflix gets it in foreign countries, which is nice, but how smart is it to make a Star Trek show, and make it so difficult for the American audience to see?

That's about right up there with making Khan a villain and not marketing him.

Yes, netflix gets it in foreign countries, which is nice, but how smart is it to make a Star Trek show, and make it so difficult for the American audience to see?

ST audiences are smart; they'll figure it out.

And is $8 a month that much of a deal breaker for watching ST on demand?  It's cheaper than a ticket to see a single movie, or movies (of which buying tickets for is no more or less easier than getting a streaming service that you can watch on your computer or internet-ready TV, which most newer TVs accommodate these days).   And if one is cutting cable (as many people I know are) then $8 a month just for Trek is a nice way to avoid $80-$100 a month just to see ONE show.  

TNG led the made-for-syndication movement (albeit a short-lived one) back in the late '80s/early '90s (with other shows like "Friday the 13th" and "War of the Worlds" that came along too; and of course, "Baywatch"; which was terrible, but extremely successful).   For many ST fans,  there were 'blackout' areas across the country where certain markets didn't carry TNG (since it was sold to individual stations instead of a network); but they still managed to watch via borrowed tapes, laserdiscs, what have you.    

Fans found a way.

ST fans also tend to be early adopters of newer technologies.   ST virtually created the sort of online fandom that so many other entertainment properties enjoy these days.  I still remember certain friends of mine who were into ST online chat rooms waaaaay back in 1993 or so (when the internet was pretty much brand new).

I'd say the price of a couple mochas a month is reasonable for new Star Trek. 

I'd say the price of a couple mochas a month is reasonable for new Star Trek. 

This.

I just don't see the problem. Don't want tp pay up front, wait for the blus.

The upset is just an obsession for something for nothing coupled with a need for instant gratification.