Sign in to follow this  
Comiskeybum

50 Years of Star Trek on History Channel

Watching it premier right now.  Anyone else watching live?  Loving the format so far.  

Watching it now, in fact. :thumbup:

Nice to see a lot of the faces I just saw last week in Vegas, such as Marc Cushman (author) and Bobak Ferdowsi (NASA/JPL's "Mohawk Guy" scientist/engineer).   Most of those actors and writers I've seen/met at various conventions (and even Planetary Society events) over the years, so it was kind of like a weird 'tele-family reunion' of sorts.   :laugh:

What kind of drove the knife in my back was, near the very end of the special, seeing the San Diego Comic Con outdoor premiere of ST Beyond.   I was THERE at that convention AT that very time and I couldn't get tickets (!).  I could even (barely) see that outdoor screen from my hotel window, but I didn't want to spoil the actual movie when I saw it two days later, so I didn't try to see it over the fences or barricades.   :P

The Picard/Q fandom will most likely be buzzing (or already is doing so, I'm not looking, I need to go back to sleep, haha) with a Ronald D. Moore moment from this one in which he says that the TNG writers always operated under the assumption that Q was in love with Jean-Luc... now THAT is true quality documentary content. ;)

The Picard/Q fandom will most likely be buzzing (or already is doing so, I'm not looking, I need to go back to sleep, haha) with a Ronald D. Moore moment from this one in which he says that the TNG writers always operated under the assumption that Q was in love with Jean-Luc... now THAT is true quality documentary content. ;)

Many of the stories I've heard before, but there were enough new nuggets of information to keep it interesting and even mildly entertaining.

And yes, who ever DOUBTED that Q was in love with Jean-Luc?? ;)

Many of the stories I've heard before, but there were enough new nuggets of information to keep it interesting and even mildly entertaining.

Yeah there are only so many stories that can be told about Trek, I guess fans really have heard most of them before. 

The doubters include the "just gal pals, no homo bro" section of the fandom and the TNG het couple shipper section who refuses to accept anything except explicit statements of "I am in love with you" or "I used to be in love with you", which, on Trek, are conveniently only done between men and women, which means it's all a perfect shield to hide behind. They're all gonna get a nice reminder and a cold shower of P/Q (not that they haven't gotten them before, most notably when Sir Patrick said he always assumed Q was gay and in love with Jean-Luc... that was ICE cold). :P 

Yeah there are only so many stories that can be told about Trek, I guess fans really have heard most of them before. 

The doubters include the "just gal pals, no homo bro" section of the fandom and the TNG het couple shipper section who refuses to accept anything except explicit statements of "I am in love with you" or "I used to be in love with you", which, on Trek, are conveniently only done between men and women, which means it's all a perfect shield to hide behind. They're all gonna get a nice reminder and a cold shower of P/Q (not that they haven't gotten them before, most notably when Sir Patrick said he always assumed Q was gay and in love with Jean-Luc... that was ICE cold). :P 

^
I'm betting the actors had a great time filming that 'morning after' scene in "Tapestry." 
:giggle:

^
I'm betting the actors had a great time filming that 'morning after' scene in "Tapestry." 
:giggle:

My guess is yes, they did. :P John de Lancie said in an interview when he was asked about Q being gay and in love with Jean-Luc, "Well, I did show up in his bed, didn't I?" Yes. TWICE, even.

So Ronald D. Moore really said nothing really NEW, but it's still refreshing to hear a TNG writer admit what the P/Q fandom has always known. ;)

they used one of my created photoshop pics in the show as a real promotional pic.

Well chuffed the pic fooled the so called experts, who obviously were never aware  the pic was not a photoshop, thought the fact jeri ryan was wearing a first contact uniform might have been a giveaway to the "experts".

Edited by gazomg

they used one of my created photoshop pics in the show as a real promotional pic.

Well chuffed the pic fooled the so called experts, who obviously were never aware  the pic was not a photoshop, thought the fact jeri ryan was wearing a first contact uniform might have been a giveaway to the "experts".

I think our own TrekCore tweeted that out, just highlighting that mistake.  Well done!

It's good photoshop work though! I'd take it as a really BIG compliment. ;) 

Even Jeri Ryan has chimed in:

Jeri.thumb.jpg.3b5224cad476b5f109c3138cc

It's good photoshop work though! I'd take it as a really BIG compliment. ;) 

Even Jeri Ryan has chimed in:

Jeri.thumb.jpg.3b5224cad476b5f109c3138cc

LOL!

I just adore her.   It looks wonderful on her, but she probably wouldn't remember wearing it even if it WEREN'T a photoshop pic.  
:laugh:

If they did a piece on the show saying fans have created artwork and then shown a load of pics that were artist created then that would have been grand, but the researchers who were working on a trek show should have known that once they saw a signature on a pic, whether they thought it was real or not should have investigated the source.

As said earlier I cannot prove either way what those people were fully thinking but give my own opinion.
Part of me is glad it was on the show and hope it was a genuine mistake as they might have been fooled,
however if they deliberately knew it was a photoshop  and still aired it without permission and deliberately editing so the logo did not appear then that is bad form and no mistake....well that puts a different prospective on things.

There another 2-hour TREK special coming soon......................

Set to premiere Sept. 4 at 8 p.m., “Building Star Trek” also looks at at the current generation of scientists who are working to make technologies first dreamed up on the television show — such as warp drives, medical tricorders, cloaking devices and tractor beams — a reality. Smithsonian Channel is also launching a sweepstakes promotion in which fans can enter to win a trip to the Star Trek: Mission New York fan event.

Yap Films is producing “Building Star Trek” for Smithsonian Channel and Discovery Canada.

If they did a piece on the show saying fans have created artwork and then shown a load of pics that were artist created then that would have been grand, but the researchers who were working on a trek show should have known that once they saw a signature on a pic, whether they thought it was real or not should have investigated the source.

As said earlier I cannot prove either way what those people were fully thinking but give my own opinion.
Part of me is glad it was on the show and hope it was a genuine mistake as they might have been fooled,
however if they deliberately knew it was a photoshop  and still aired it without permission and deliberately editing so the logo did not appear then that is bad form and no mistake....well that puts a different prospective on things.

I'm not sure there's anything anyone can do about this kind of thing though. I know it's not EXACTLY the same but my Sir Patrick screencaps/enhanced pics end up pretty much everywhere these days, I encounter them on websites, TV, Twitter, etc (the most amusing/embarrassing moments are the ones when people shove them at me "have you seen this?!"... "yes, that's from my collection" "oh, oops"). One of them of him as a young man even made it onto an NBC (I think) morning show where they showed the pic to Sir Patrick. No source given, of course. (I could tell it was my screencap because it has part of a little dot in the upper left corner, I simply forgot to edit it out.) This kind of "image grabbing" really has gotten a little out of hand. Of course it's even worse for real artists like you, gazomg, who spend time and effort perfectly photoshopping pics. To then not have your art recognized is really bad form. IF the documentary folks really knew it wasn't a real pic. IF. It's always possible they actually thought it was real. We'll indeed probably never know.

I'm not sure there's anything anyone can do about this kind of thing though. I know it's not EXACTLY the same but my Sir Patrick screencaps/enhanced pics end up pretty much everywhere these days, I encounter them on websites, TV, Twitter, etc (the most amusing/embarrassing moments are the ones when people shove them at me "have you seen this?!"... "yes, that's from my collection" "oh, oops"). One of them of him as a young man even made it onto an NBC (I think) morning show where they showed the pic to Sir Patrick. No source given, of course. (I could tell it was my screencap because it has part of a little dot in the upper left corner, I simply forgot to edit it out.) This kind of "image grabbing" really has gotten a little out of hand. Of course it's even worse for real artists like you, gazomg, who spend time and effort perfectly photoshopping pics. To then not have your art recognized is really bad form. IF the documentary folks really knew it wasn't a real pic. IF. It's always possible they actually thought it was real. We'll indeed probably never know.

I made this wallpaper pic of star trek beyond months back from scratch by trying to copy at the time an early pre release screencap,  and it has been used on dozens of sites all over the world, and almost all are just fan site or non profit sites, but when revenue creating sites use it and take the name off it has started to piss me off.

2888c3499360284.jpg

The history channel would not dare use paramount pics without permission, yet as said, they made a simple error, or else deliberately said **** you, to me and belanna  and went ahead knowingly posted the work after cropping things and for that I admit I am a little annoyed.

I missed it. Hopefully it comes out on video. I want to see all the 50th stuff I can.

And yes, I too have seen that pic elsewhere under different names. It's like the Hive comic. They probably thought it was from the comic. It wasn't.

As for stories or pics ending up on Star Trek boards and in some print, I've had some weird 'coincidences' too, including a recently leaked 'lost story' that allegedly had been part of Star Trek, but wasn't. It was my fan fic! I would have preferred they had just riffed the shipping story on the blog instead, as it had Q and Picard in it. Heh. I have since removed both since the guidelines for fan films, and had no intent to use them officially.

Trekkies 2 also included one of my fan ships, or one very close, but that was deliberate, as during the TrekWeb days we had connections to some of the Trekkies people.

Pocket Books contest for Strange New Worlds rejected one of my stories, but later used the title on one of their published books, without my knowing until it came out. They kind of can do what they like as the name Star Trek is theirs, the studio's, and the title was a common enough title.

So it happens fan stuff gets included. I think of it mostly as a flattery thing, as they decided my stuff was good enough to be used.

TrekWeb stuff back in the day tended to get out and onto other sites also.

One time I had written an early opinion article for this site, TrekCore, and it ended up on a Facebook Star Trek page under another name. I contacted the facebook page and they gave me credit once their admin read the byline correctly. It wasn't with permission, but it worked out.

Pocket Books contest for Strange New Worlds rejected one of my stories, but later used the title on one of their published books, without my knowing until it came out. They kind of can do what they like as the name Star Trek is theirs, the studio's, and the title was a common enough title.

Well, submissions do become the property of Pocket Books once submitted. 

Sign in to follow this