Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

BEYOND Hardcover Book

23 posts in this topic

If it was  book that really got into the early days of the production and was honest about what went down that lead to Orci's ouster?  I'd be totally down to read this.  Doubt that highly though. 

If it was  book that really got into the early days of the production and was honest about what went down that lead to Orci's ouster?  I'd be totally down to read this.  Doubt that highly though. 

Yeah, nobody's going to trash Orci in the book.

Certainly not if it's sanctioned by Paramount.   

Certainly not if it's sanctioned by Paramount.   

Especially not since they seem to be planning to use Orci's story for the next film. 

I wonder if it will be Orci's story though?  My thoughts were "the only way to get rid of Orci is to fire you two with him, but we will let you write the next one."  But we may never know.  I know it won't be about that, but that is really all I would be interested in reading about. 

I wonder if it will be Orci's story though?  My thoughts were "the only way to get rid of Orci is to fire you two with him, but we will let you write the next one."  But we may never know.  I know it won't be about that, but that is really all I would be interested in reading about. 

It wouldn't surprise me if it was his story. I mean, I can get "story" credit with a two page treatment. Then you have other writers flesh it out. Who knows how it's gonna go at this point. 

It wouldn't surprise me if it was his story. I mean, I can get "story" credit with a two page treatment. Then you have other writers flesh it out. Who knows how it's gonna go at this point. 

True, he could still have story credit, but I have a feeling his name won't be on it.

True, he could still have story credit, but I have a feeling his name won't be on it.

Total speculation here, but I suspect that McKay and Payne had some really good ideas, but there was a lot of conflict in the writer's room because Orci had too much creative control and was uncompromising.  They opted to throw the baby out with the bathwater (Orci).  Now they are letting the duo flesh out the ideas Orci rejected (or maybe some new idea).  We probably won't hear the truth until the 75th anniversary of Star Trek, if ever.

Edited by Locutus

Total speculation here, but I suspect that McKay and Payne had some really good ideas, but there was a lot of conflict in the writer's room because Orci had too much creative control and was uncompromising.  They opted to throw the baby out with the bathwater (Orci).  Now they are letting the duo flesh out the ideas Orci rejected (or maybe some new idea).  We probably won't hear the truth until the 75th anniversary of Star Trek, if ever.

That is exactly what I think happened too.  Even after seeing Beyond and discussing it with my brother afterwards, I used the exact same phrase about the baby with the bathwater in what happened...knowing that McCay and Payne are already back to write the next one.  I think that they had the ideas that appealed more to the group, and Orci was pitching stuff less people liked...and in the end they decided the best thing to do was to throw him out...but knowing him, they had to "fire" McCay and Payne as well...because Orci would cry foul if only he were dropped.  So they threw it all out, gave him a Producers credit to shut him up...and maybe whispered to McCay and Payne that if they go with a fourth film, they'd be given a fresh start without the hindrance of Orci.  Like you said...it is pure speculation and we may never know for years to come...but that is my working theory for now.  Could be totally wrong.

^^^ It's got an air of truthiness to it.

I dont think Orci will be involved. Cmon, fans hates him  and he has insulted the fandom more time than once.

I dont think Orci will be involved. Cmon, fans hates him  and he has insulted the fandom more time than once.

As though Hollywood cares about that. To them it's just noise.

Yeah, but if he can't treat the fans well, it's probably a reflection on how he treats everybody to some extent.  I do know I'd be happy if he never worked on a Trek project again.  I mean, writers can be jerks and still be good (Harlan Ellison).  However, Orci is both a jerk and a bad writer.

Yeah, but if he can't treat the fans well, it's probably a reflection on how he treats everybody to some extent.  I do know I'd be happy if he never worked on a Trek project again.  I mean, writers can be jerks and still be good (Harlan Ellison).  However, Orci is both a jerk and a bad writer.

Well, yes. But even that doesn't matter in Hollywood for the most part. If you produce, you get a pass for being an ass. And Orci makes them money.

Am I the only one who wants to get this book? :laugh:

Naaaah, the books seems like it could be fun. I would like to get this one too

Naaaah, the books seems like it could be fun. I would like to get this one too

It had me with "Star Trek" on the cover... :giggle:

Heres the final cover on the BEYOND hardcover book.

51sNRYVy9fL.jpg

It looks legit, I would have prefered if they had shown the Enterprise somewhere though. I heard that ship was somewhat important... 

Edited by Garak the spy

While I am no BEYOND fan, I admit that I really like this hardcover book from Titan. I received it tjis past Friday. They even have  a chapter full of photos on the movie world premiere. Interviews with all cast members and lots of beatiful photos and concept artwork. Go for it..

51sNRYVy9fL.jpg

Gus

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0