Frontier

Lots of New Information on Discovery

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

We'll be watching via our HD Roku box - had it for about a year now; never looked back. Though I panicked last night when it wouldn't play some older Trek via CBSAA - then I check the connections and found a cable was loose. Whew. 

Definitely excited. New Trek on TV! :clap::Gold:

We set up our CBS AA account earlier this month, and I easily put the app on my iPad and phone as well, but we had a HELL of a time getting it on our BR player browser (ditto with our old PS3), so I was resigning myself to watch on my 21" desktop or my iPad (neither choice was desirable).   Thankfully our friend offered us her old, unused Roku (whew!).  

We used to have another Roku a long time ago, but I gave it to my sister when it fell into disuse (our BR player streamed Netflix), and she got hooked on Netflix with it. :laugh:

And yes, new ST on TV again, after 12 (very long) years.  I'm stoked.  This is the 2nd longest gap between ST series since TOS and TNG (18 years!).

Gotta thank the Kelvinverse movies (well, 2 of them anyway) and ST Continues for helping to sate the craving during these lean years.

10 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

We're going to stop off at our local budget theater before the premiere. We'll let the professionals do the poppin'. :)

I'm not even a big popcorn eater, but something about movie night (either at home or at the theatre)....maybe it's the permanent smell of it in the theatre atmosphere that triggers it?  Who knows.  But it's probably the reason I make it at home too; to try to bring that movie theatre experience home as well.

New ST deserves no less than the red carpet treatment...even if I'm watching it on my 43" Toshiba.  :laugh:

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I'm not even a big popcorn eater, but something about movie night (either at home or at the theatre)....maybe it's the permanent smell of it in the theatre atmosphere that triggers it?  Who knows.  But it's probably the reason I make it at home too; to try to bring that movie theatre experience home as well.

New ST deserves no less than the red carpet treatment...even if I'm watching it on my 43" Toshiba.  :laugh:

Childhood memories, man.

And I'd be lying if I said it didn't dawn on me after setting up the new TV that it'd be ready for new Trek, and that didn't brink a smile. We expected to have to do a few more months of saving.

46 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Childhood memories, man.

And I'd be lying if I said it didn't dawn on me after setting up the new TV that it'd be ready for new Trek, and that didn't brink a smile. We expected to have to do a few more months of saving.

Yeah, but... new Trek.  :thumbup:

I have to admit; the first things I played on my Roku after hooking it up yesterday afternoon were the DSC trailers and promos; and they looked magnificent.  

7 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I have to admit; the first things I played on my Roku after hooking it up yesterday afternoon were the DSC trailers and promos; and they looked magnificent.  

And apparently, even THAT stuff was work in progress.

6 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I haven't seen 'em on our big screen. Must look!

6 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

And apparently, even THAT stuff was work in progress.

That is impressive. It already looks incredible.

Gretchen Berg: “Any kind of canon is like Scripture. There’s some interpretation going on,” she said. “I really find that my favorite creative people can look at those boundaries and say, there’s so much room within to play. Instead of going outside the lines, we can dig deeper within the boundaries that exist.”

I have always said this about canon. It's a copout to say its rules are limiting--though I understand that they way big blockbuster movies are made these days, you can't honor those rules. Glad this is the view of the DSC show runners.  

scenario   

I always thought the idea that rules are restrictive is foolish. "What do you mean I can't have George Washington call down an airstrike during the U.S. war of independance. No one cares that the war happened more than 200 years ago." Of course, you can take canon too far. You really shouldn't have to keep track of every one time reference by every character in 700 episodes. 

8 minutes ago, scenario said:

I always thought the idea that rules are restrictive is foolish. "What do you mean I can't have George Washington call down an airstrike during the U.S. war of independance. No one cares that the war happened more than 200 years ago." Of course, you can take canon too far. You really shouldn't have to keep track of every one time reference by every character in 700 episodes. 

But what is refreshing about the DSC team is that they claim they WILL sweat every episode. Here is Ted Sullivan talking about the canon challenges of Enterprise, which they are going to respect even though it sounds like they don't care much for the series: Enterprise did a lot of scrambling and covering and patching up things, which I think worked for that show. It is hard to be in the middle between that show and TOS. [Discovery staff writer and “Keeper of the canon”] Kirsten Beyer will probably tell you the most arguments she and I have had are me saying “Wait, we can’t do that because of something on Enterprise?” But, we respect that. Enterprise is canon and it’s tough and it was a constantly shifting show.

scenario   
4 minutes ago, Justin Snead said:

But what is refreshing about the DSC team is that they claim they WILL sweat every episode. Here is Ted Sullivan talking about the canon challenges of Enterprise, which they are going to respect even though it sounds like they don't care much for the series: Enterprise did a lot of scrambling and covering and patching up things, which I think worked for that show. It is hard to be in the middle between that show and TOS. [Discovery staff writer and “Keeper of the canon”] Kirsten Beyer will probably tell you the most arguments she and I have had are me saying “Wait, we can’t do that because of something on Enterprise?” But, we respect that. Enterprise is canon and it’s tough and it was a constantly shifting show.

I agree with respecting canon, up to a point. But there is a difference between something that was a major point in an episode and something that someone said once off the cuff. For example, Spock once went blind but his vision came back because Vulcans have a third eyelid because their planet is hot, dry and very brightly lit. The fact that Vulcan is a hot planet with a thin atmosphere and blinding light was established in several episodes.  You shouldn't show Vulcan as a cold, wet, dark place without some kind of reason. 

I've heard people say things like, "When I was a kid, my dad was 10 feet tall." I wouldn't consider that to be canon. 

Bottom line is all's I expect is a reasonable effort and no obvious mistakes. If they miss something obscure, I really don't care. 

If someone is going to write for ST, they need to know ST history. Just like if someone wants to write for the show Washington's Spies, they need to know what life was like during the 1770's in the American Colonies. 

15 minutes ago, scenario said:

I agree with respecting canon, up to a point. But there is a difference between something that was a major point in an episode and something that someone said once off the cuff. For example, Spock once went blind but his vision came back because Vulcans have a third eyelid because their planet is hot, dry and very brightly lit. The fact that Vulcan is a hot planet with a thin atmosphere and blinding light was established in several episodes.  You shouldn't show Vulcan as a cold, wet, dark place without some kind of reason. 

I've heard people say things like, "When I was a kid, my dad was 10 feet tall." I wouldn't consider that to be canon. 

Bottom line is all's I expect is a reasonable effort and no obvious mistakes. If they miss something obscure, I really don't care. 

If someone is going to write for ST, they need to know ST history. Just like if someone wants to write for the show Washington's Spies, they need to know what life was like during the 1770's in the American Colonies. 

Oh I totally agree. But after years of Bad Robot and Berman/Braga excuses, I love that this team knows its canon even down to the most obscure references. One of the Klingon houses in DSC has the same name as the Klingon house Janeway-as-Klingon mentioned in a throw away line in that Hirogen-Holodeck arc on Voyager. And Ted Sullivan has name dropped aliens from the Animated Series. 

Here is my podcast on the first 3 episodes. I'm recording these with my husband who is watching with me. He never watched Trek before I warped into his life, so he only knows the Bad Robot movies, which he liked. So he offers a unique perspective, and not just because he thought a tribble was called a wibble. http://www.justinscottsnead.com/003-star-trek-discovery-lorcas-wibble/