Frontier

Lots of New Information on Discovery

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

Inverse.com? A fan made trailer did appear on TrekYards, (a fan site and it just shows the ships), but it says it's fan made. Could be this is a false alarm. This web site, Inverse.com also promised something big a week ago. Bait and switch. Got a link to the actual trailer? If it was up, would oit not break the Internet?

Seems they confused that released on location photo (as it isn't CGI in the background) but not a trailer. Misleading unless a trailer goes up later. Burt then why wait? Wait for CBS to show the trailer.

Edited by Chimera82405

kenman   
1 hour ago, Chimera82405 said:

Inverse.com? A fan made trailer did appear on TrekYards, (a fan site and it just shows the ships), but it says it's fan made. Could be this is a false alarm. This web site, Inverse.com also promised something big a week ago. Bait and switch. Got a link to the actual trailer? If it was up, would oit not break the Internet?

Seems they confused that released on location photo (as it isn't CGI in the background) but not a trailer. Misleading unless a trailer goes up later. Burt then why wait? Wait for CBS to show the trailer.

Today is the CBS Upfront Presentation (all Networks and some cable channels do this, basically a "look what great stuff we have coming this year all you advertisers!"). So the image is just a image preview for what is to come later.....which is:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/video/LeDfVOm_JkJcYJF9ju2izuFJBnF_qJsG/star-trek-discovery-first-look-trailer/

And...CBS upped the episode order by 2 episodes...we get 15 instead of 13.  Shows they have some confidence in it I think! They will also launch a companion show called "Talking Trek" which I assume is to ape off the idea of Talking Bad or Talking Dead or Doctor Who Confidential.  Whatever, 15 new Star Trek episodes! Officially! Yay!

20 minutes ago, The Founder said:

Mm....color me intrigued. 

And I'm kinda glad they're not going all TOS-looking tech.  That klunky almost steampunk-look (your words Founder; from your brilliant review of "The Cage" a few years ago) just won't fly anymore.  But...if they were going to make it look this slick?  They could've just as easily set this after VGR...just saying. 

At any rate, it still looks and feels like Star Trek; messages of aggression vs. caution, a few new species, etc.

I'm still cautiously optimistic.  

Ive been sold for a long time, this only makes me feel even more confident.  Love it.  I cant stand the people that sit here and try to tell me that it should look like the Cage idd. Um hello, its 2017, you cant expect an audience to identify with tech that would be inferior to our own in terms of looks and feel. 

2 minutes ago, Comiskeybum said:

Ive been sold for a long time, this only makes me feel even more confident.  Love it.  I cant stand the people that sit here and try to tell me that it should look like the Cage idd. Um hello, its 2017, you cant expect an audience to identify with tech that would be inferior to our own in terms of looks and feel. 

^ Exactly this. 

That works for a fan film, but not a new series that is attempting to reach beyond the faithful...

Initial thoughts:

I don't actually like TOS, so I have no attachment to that design. With that in mind, I have no problem with the style of the new ship. I'm also quite interested in this idea of a protagonist being connected to the Vulcans. Some fans seem to be speculating that she was raised by them. At first I actually thought she was part Vulcan, which would have been particularly nice. I also like the uniforms.

Every time I remember that it is set in the past instead of the future I find myself feeling less interested in the show, but I'm still fairly curious about it. The Klingons look...odd, but I might be able to get used to them in that form. On the whole, it looks...okay. I just wish it was coming to normal television. It feels strange to see a new series in the franchise locked behind online subscription services like Netflix and the CBS one.

Edited by Explorer3

2 minutes ago, Explorer3 said:

Initial thoughts:

I don't actually like TOS, so I have no attachment to that design. With that in mind, I have no problem with the style of the new ship. I'm also quite interested in this idea of a protagonist being connected to the Vulcans. Some fans seem to be speculating that she was raised by them. At first I actually thought she was part Vulcan, which would have been particularly nice. I also like the uniforms.

Every time I remember that it is set in the past instead of the future I find myself feeling less interested in the show, but I'm still fairly curious about it. The Klingons look...odd, but I might be able to get used to them in that form. On the whole, it looks...okay. I just wish it was coming to normal television. It feels strange to see a new series in the franchise locked behind online subscription services like Netflix and the CBS one.

On your last point?  I see this as the primary content delivery means in the days ahead.  It seems that ST is merely following the wave.  Television a la carte and binge-watching are the models of the future, like them or not.   Netflix and Amazon have had tremendous success with their streaming content, and even YouTube is delivering 'real' shows now as well.   What better (or easier) way to gauge your audience than to count downloads or hits?  

I think network TV's days are numbered, to be honest...

I just saw it. I'm sure we'll be pouring over ever frame shortly on the boards. It looks like of like a slicker version of Enterprise. It doesn't really look all that TOS. Not bad, but want to see more.

You may be right, Sehlat Vie. American Gods seems like a big deal, and that requires Amazon Prime, if I remember right. Netflix does seem to be really popular too.

Oh, general note for all -- apparently the CBS trailer and the international trailers are different, so we may not all be discussing the same thing.

11 minutes ago, Explorer3 said:

You may be right, Sehlat Vie. American Gods seems like a big deal, and that requires Amazon Prime, if I remember right. Netflix does seem to be really popular too.

Actually, American Gods is on Starz, I believe (?).   At least my wife watches it on Starz.

But yes, there are many other very popular shows that are streaming only; I myself got hooked on Netflix's "House of Cards" a couple years ago, so yeah, there's that...

scenario   

It looks promising. My favorite ST series is TOS and I don't have any problem with the update. As long as they have actual communicators and tricorders rather than some kind of ring or something, I've got no problem. 

I'm going to assume that most of the trailer takes place in the pilot episode. They said they had two episodes in the can so that would provide most of the footage. 

My predictions. 

- klingons are either just woke up ancient klingons or klingons sub species and the sarcophagus is very important. Has someone of importance to them. 

- The Shenzou gets there first (object floating in space) and does something to piss off the klingons. Which explains the sudden ambush of warp signatures. 

- Shenzou is destroyed or severely damaged. The ship is either rebuilt as discovery or the crew transfers to discovery. 

- The native to the time period klingons will look more traditional. 

- Jason Isaacs is going to be a controversial captain and break some rules, prime directive. 

-There will be collaboration between our female lead and the klingons. 

I have to admit, I got excited by the trailer, especially at the end, when they played the Enterprise fanfare. Which, I guess, has become the Star Trek fanfare with its use here.

I agree with Sehlat - from the visuals, I still don't see why this couldn't be set post-Nemesis, but then they wouldn't be able to get in all those little nods to continuity nerds, like the use of Sarek (and what might be a reference to a young Spock? "Your tongue is too human.") ...although the visual continuity is now going to have to explain a new race of Klingons and a very different looking Klingon culture if this truly is all set in the Prime Universe.

Continuity, shmontinuity... if it's good Star Trek, I'm not sure I much care. It looks right. Sounds right. I guess I'll need to see more to know if they get it all right, but today I realised how much I'd missed the idea of new, regular, TV-based Trek.

A very old friend of mine died yesterday - he was one of the guys who used to come to our house to watch bootleg episodes of new TNG and DS9 in the early 90s before they were properly shown on British TV. (Back then, UK broadcasts were about three years behind the US ones.) He'd have been really excited about this - he really loved Star Trek. And honestly, in the face of all the emotions his death has brought, I'm finding I can't be cynical about a new Star Trek show. I really need something on TV that's optimistic about the future, because reality sucks, and it feels like this is arriving at the perfect time. Let's hope the promise of this trailer is fulfilled. I want to feel that the future can be hopeful again.

Maybe she'll hide from the klingons in a photon tube and when the leader opens it she'll jump out and attack him. Hehe. 

Sim   

First impression, the trailer looks intriguing and makes me curious for more ... even without the first coffee! :laugh:

No seriously, visually very intriguing. It has a sufficient "Trek" look, but fresh at the same time!

4 hours ago, Explorer3 said:

Ah, you're correct. It's on Amazon Prime in the UK.

In Germany, too.

Many new shows that are on networks or premium channels in the US go to Amazon Germany or Netflix Germany first, these days... usually with each new episode available the day after the US airing, or very few weeks after. For example "Fear the Walking Dead", "Ash vs. Evil Dead" or "American Gods" (on Amazon Germany), "Better Call Saul", "Fargo" and "Designated Survivor" (on Netflix Germany). On top of all their original shows like "House of Cards", "Man in the High Castle" and so on. Plus you get new HBO shows and new "Doctor Who" as pay-per-view on Amazon Germany.

IMO, the two services now got a better service than regular tv ever had... and that's for less than €15/month for both combined.

Among younger people in my environment, I don't know anyone who does care about tv shows and does not have one or both of these services.

Edited by Sim

I watched the trailer earlier.

I've seen better.

But I've also seen worse.

I could launch a "why is this so completely different from The Cage was this really necessary why did they have to make this a prequel, jfc, I knew this would be a bad idea" rant and I do agree with those who say this has Abrams written all over it style-wise - even I who has never seen Nu!Trek can see what inspired them... and I don't particularly care for it.

However, I also agree with those who point out that Trek needs to change. The trailer had its nice-ish moments, it's not that it's downright awful. Discovery obviously cannot be TOS, TNG or DS9. Fans need to let go of their nostalgia. But the question is, will enough fans WANT to do that, for a PREQUEL of all things. I have many doubts here, at least for now - the negative reactions to the trailer have been quite fierce, ranging from reasonable "what even are these Klingons?" to crazy "feminists are behind this, there are too many women, where are the straight white cis men?".

Anyways. The trailer hasn't sold me in any way, I feel literally NOTHING when I watch it other than "meh" - same feeling I had when they threw out that teaser back then. The show could be there, but it could also just NOT be there. Whatever. I wish I could be a full-blooded Trekkie like y'all and get excited about this either way, goor or bad, but, for now, I'm still in the "meh, I'll buy the DVDs if it's good" corner.

barwars   

Network television is on life support. Here in the UK overnight ratings are dropping with many turning to online catch-up services to watch their shows when they want to rather than when the TV tells you to.

In another decade television as we perceive it just won't be a thing. I think it's fitting that Star Trek is being used to usher in that shift in technology and perception.

I can't wait. These trailers have really whet my appetite. Love the feel of the show, Enterprise but with a very modern visual. I think it's telling that the Discovery is nowhere to be seen in that trailer - what we're being shown isn't what the final series may actually be but CBS have a duty to get as many people watching as possible. The trailer has to be pitched at non-fans.

Wrath of Khan aside Star Trek truly works best as a television show. It's good to have it back.

8 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

A very old friend of mine died yesterday - he was one of the guys who used to come to our house to watch bootleg episodes of new TNG and DS9 in the early 90s before they were properly shown on British TV. (Back then, UK broadcasts were about three years behind the US ones.) He'd have been really excited about this - he really loved Star Trek. And honestly, in the face of all the emotions his death has brought, I'm finding I can't be cynical about a new Star Trek show. I really need something on TV that's optimistic about the future, because reality sucks, and it feels like this is arriving at the perfect time. Let's hope the promise of this trailer is fulfilled. I want to feel that the future can be hopeful again.

I am so sorry, my friend.

35 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Thanks bro. 

Brother from another mother...;)

Sim   
11 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I have to admit, I got excited by the trailer, especially at the end, when they played the Enterprise fanfare. Which, I guess, has become the Star Trek fanfare with its use here.

I agree with Sehlat - from the visuals, I still don't see why this couldn't be set post-Nemesis, but then they wouldn't be able to get in all those little nods to continuity nerds, like the use of Sarek (and what might be a reference to a young Spock? "Your tongue is too human.") ...although the visual continuity is now going to have to explain a new race of Klingons and a very different looking Klingon culture if this truly is all set in the Prime Universe.

Continuity, shmontinuity... if it's good Star Trek, I'm not sure I much care. It looks right. Sounds right. I guess I'll need to see more to know if they get it all right, but today I realised how much I'd missed the idea of new, regular, TV-based Trek.

I'm sorry for your loss, Robin.

Here is on better times!

5 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I watched the trailer earlier.

I've seen better.

But I've also seen worse.

I could launch a "why is this so completely different from The Cage was this really necessary why did they have to make this a prequel, jfc, I knew this would be a bad idea" rant and I do agree with those who say this has Abrams written all over it style-wise - even I who has never seen Nu!Trek can see what inspired them... and I don't particularly care for it.

It made me really curious and I liked what I saw, but I'm not as excited than, say, when the new show was announced. In the end, it's too short and didn't really allow to get an idea about the series, except the general visual style perhaps.

And that style, I like. Unlike you, I don't feel it has much in common with AbramsTrek, except that it's a modern visual style, too (d'uh, right?). I mean it's along the lines of what you can expect in 2017, with references like NuTrek or "The Expanse" ... but apart from that, I don't think it's particularly close to NuTrek. The slowly moving space shots even reminded me more of "The Expanse". Because let's face it, as you say, anything that would look more like TNG or DS9 would scream "retro" today, it wouldn't be modern.

What IMO matters more than mere visual style (and the glimpses we saw of the visuals, I like), will be the general atmosphere of the show... pacing, character moments vs. action, depth of dialogues and characters, plot and storylines -- those are the crucial factors that will decide whether I'll like Discovery or not. And the trailer is too short to get an idea about that, IMO.

However, I also agree with those who point out that Trek needs to change. The trailer had its nice-ish moments, it's not that it's downright awful. Discovery obviously cannot be TOS, TNG or DS9. Fans need to let go of their nostalgia. But the question is, will enough fans WANT to do that, for a PREQUEL of all things. I have many doubts here, at least for now - the negative reactions to the trailer have been quite fierce, ranging from reasonable "what even are these Klingons?" to crazy "feminists are behind this, there are too many women, where are the straight white cis men?".

Anyways. The trailer hasn't sold me in any way, I feel literally NOTHING when I watch it other than "meh" - same feeling I had when they threw out that teaser back then. The show could be there, but it could also just NOT be there. Whatever. I wish I could be a full-blooded Trekkie like y'all and get excited about this either way, goor or bad, but, for now, I'm still in the "meh, I'll buy the DVDs if it's good" corner.

The Internet has always been negative, and it's worse today than ever... so I say screw the naysayers. Nobody forces them to watch, and I am pretty determined to wait with my judgment until I've actually seen the show. Screw the haters and thier negativity -- the gay bashers, the women haters, the anal continuity whiners.

Edited by Sim

maneth   

My condolences, Robin. Losing a friend is hard.

I'm optimistic on Discovery. The trailer looked great.