Frontier

Lots of New Information on Discovery

620 posts in this topic

It seems to me that most things that are fresh and original only last for one movie or maybe half a season of a series. Then they start to repeat themselves. But if the writing is good that really doesn't matter. 

Dude ,I hate prequels and reboots. I mean, why re-cast Sarek a  third time ??? You guys please watch it and tell me if its any good and then I will think about giving CBS ALL ACCESS my money. Loving the MARVEL shows on Netflix.

Gus

Aren't the Marvel shows on Netflix a different media reboot of a comic book? There are no totally new stories. There all just variations on a theme.

Marvel is totally fresh and original and not getting totally boring at all!

100% agreed.

Gus

Dude ,I hate prequels and reboots. I mean, why re-cast Sarek a  third time ??? You guys please watch it and tell me if its any good and then I will think about giving CBS ALL ACCESS my money. Loving the MARVEL shows on Netflix.

Gus

Aren't the Marvel shows on Netflix a different media reboot of a comic book? There are no totally new stories. There all just variations on a theme.

100% agreed.

Gus

Gus, you can always do what I'll do - wait for the verdict from the Trekkies and if it's good, wait and buy the Discovery DVDs once they're out AND have significantly dropped in price. That way you won't have to give your money to any kind of streaming service (I have the same problem with Netflix here, I don't have it and I have no reason to get it either).

Gus

100% agreed.

Gus

Hate to break it to you Gus, but I was being sarcastic there...sorry!

Gus

100% agreed.

Gus

Oh, why, you...............LOL

You got me, I dunno, maybe its my bad English or something LOL

Gus

100% agreed.

Gus

Gus, you can always do what I'll do - wait for the verdict from the Trekkies and if it's good, wait and buy the Discovery DVDs once they're out AND have significantly dropped in price. That way you won't have to give your money to any kind of streaming service (I have the same problem with Netflix here, I don't have it and I have no reason to get it either).

Yep, I think I will just do it, regarding DISCOVERY, this way. Thanks, Mr.Picard.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Gus

100% agreed.

Gus

Gus

100% agreed.

Gus

Yep, I think I will just do it, regarding DISCOVERY, this way. Thanks, Mr.Picard.

Gus

Isn't Discovery on Netflix outside of the U.S. and Canada?  

It is.

Gus

100% agreed.

Gus

Gus

100% agreed.

Gus

Gus

Yep.

Gus

100% agreed.

Gus

Gus

100% agreed.

Gus

Gus

Yep.

Am I missing something then? From my understanding Gus is in Brazil. Gus says he likes the Marvel Shows on Netflix. Discovery is on Netflix in Brazil. Why does he have to wait for the DVD's? I'm probably missing something obvious. Head slap in advance. :) 

Thats news to me. I havent be following STAR TREK news that much, which explains why I didnt know this "Netflix on Brazil" stuff.

Thanks for the info, I will still wait for the reviews and word of mouth on DISCOVERY.

Gus

Thats news to me. I havent be following STAR TREK news that much, which explains why I didnt know this "Netflix on Brazil" stuff.

Thanks for the info, I will still wait for the reviews and word of mouth on DISCOVERY.

Gus

At least giving it a try won't cost you any extra money!

Hmmm.... interesting. 

They remind me very much of the Klingons in STID which, to me, were one of the few successful ideas of that movie, because for the first time since TMP the Klingons felt and looked truly alien again.  I got a bit tired of the "Vikings/bikers in Space" we saw all too often in TNG and yes, even DS9.  

I kind of wish they would've gone more Feudal Japanese with them; as was the concept of "Phase II" (the un-produced mid-'70s ST series-that-never-was).   I'm intrigued, and also a bit gratified that they're not adhering too religiously to canon.   A ST series without the wiggle room to set itself apart is doomed to be nothing but a copy of a copy.

Yep, these look terrible (if they really are Klingons). 

I remember a bit off hubbub in 1979 when TMP came out and a few ST fans called the then-new Klingons 'lobster heads', so I personally don't mind.  I give them points for not being afraid to try something new.   If ST can bend its own continuity to make the smooth-heads exist alongside bumpy heads, they can fit these Klingons in as well. 

I applaud them for trying something different and defying pre-fab expectations.

I suppose there's always the get-out clause that they're just a kind of Klingon we haven't seen before. (Which is stretching it, but y'know...) Though, what with that time ENT bent over backwards to explain TOS' smooth-head Klingons, it does seem like throwing a cat amongst the pigeons to the deep, established fanbase DSC says it wants to attract.

Ultimately, a few rejigs and updates to makeup design isn't going to throw me off - what I want are good stories. But again, it does make me wonder why the producers tethered themselves to the whole prequel concept again. It just throws up this boring canon debate, instead of concentrating on the new stuff the show might be offering. The actual interesting stuff. 

Because, whatever you say, some fans just can't turn a blind eye to in-universe visual changes without there being an onscreen explanation. 

I did like STIDs reimagining of the Klingons too. but that was a different universe... which begs the possibility (and I've seen some rumors of that elsewhere online) that DSC is set in another new timeline, too. 

I suppose there's always the get-out clause that they're just a kind of Klingon we haven't seen before. (Which is stretching it, but y'know...) Though, what with that time ENT bent over backwards to explain TOS' smooth-head Klingons, it does seem like throwing a cat amongst the pigeons to the deep, established fanbase DSC says it wants to attract.

Ultimately, a few rejigs and updates to makeup design isn't going to throw me off - what I want are good stories. But again, it does make me wonder why the producers tethered themselves to the whole prequel concept again. It just throws up this boring canon debate, instead of concentrating on the new stuff the show might be offering. The actual interesting stuff. 

Because, whatever you say, some fans just can't turn a blind eye to in-universe visual changes without there being an onscreen explanation. 

I did like STIDs reimagining of the Klingons too. but that was a different universe... which begs the possibility (and I've seen some rumors of that elsewhere online) that DSC is set in another new timeline, too. 

^
And personally I'd be fine if it were.   Since we're not going to see starships with clunky plastic buttons, levers and tabulating computers of TOS (let alone velour uniforms and sexist jokes about women 
officers) then why not just set it in another pocket of the ST multiverse?  Frankly, I think that's the smart move.   No one is really going to buy that this new series with updated tech and sleek new uniforms predates "The Cage" anyway...

As for the Klingons, yes they run the risk of alienating the faithful, but once again I think of the diversity within the human genome and it doesn't seem so odd, really.   We have human beings who are over 7' tall and others who are barely 3', so...

Apparently someone DM'd the person who posted the pic originally and asked if these really were Klingons and the guy said "I don't know, they just looked like Klingons to me".

So there's also that.

Apparently someone DM'd the person who posted the pic originally and asked if these really were Klingons and the guy said "I don't know, they just looked like Klingons to me".

So there's also that.

Those look like they must be the new Klingons to me.  I'm fine with the departure.  They should make them look more alien.  The old Star Trek trope of aliens that are too human-looking in order to accomodate cost-effective facial prosthetics has run its course.  Not that they can completely depart from it, but it is good to push the envelope.

Perhaps they are Klingons from the past (or the future).  I hope they don't resort to time travel like Abrams Trek or Enterprise, but I could see a plot turning on the return of a long lost but legendary House of Klingons that have come back to reclaim the Empire.  Fits with some of the hubbub I have gathered online:  Klingon War, sarcophagus ship, three primary characters being Klingon.

I just finished the first book in the Star Trek: Prey series which deals with the House of Kruge and the return of exiled Klingons creating new conflict in the Federation/Klingon Alliance.  I could see a similar plot and intrigue driving this new TV show.  Even better that it is set before the Federation and Klingons are allies.

So there's also that.

Those look like they must be the new Klingons to me.  I'm fine with the departure.  They should make them look more alien.  The old Star Trek trope of aliens that are too human-looking in order to accomodate cost-effective facial prosthetics has run its course.  Not that they can completely depart from it, but it is good to push the envelope.

Perhaps they are Klingons from the past (or the future).  I hope they don't resort to time travel like Abrams Trek or Enterprise, but I could see a plot turning on the return of a long lost but legendary House of Klingons that have come back to reclaim the Empire.  Fits with some of the hubbub I have gathered online:  Klingon War, sarcophagus ship, three primary characters being Klingon.

I just finished the first book in the Star Trek: Prey series which deals with the House of Kruge and the return of exiled Klingons creating new conflict in the Federation/Klingon Alliance.  I could see a similar plot and intrigue driving this new TV show.  Even better that it is set before the Federation and Klingons are allies.

I was starting to think I was the only one here who was okay with a new variation of the Klingons.;)

I also agree with your point that the era of bumpy headed but otherwise very human looking aliens HAS run its course; it's enough to swallow that Vulcans look just like us but with pointed ears and upswept eyebrows, but I think the Klingons should  appear shockingly different from either humans or Vulcans.  I say bring it on.

So there's also that.

I was starting to think I was the only one here who was okay with a new variation of the Klingons.;)

I also agree with your point that the era of bumpy headed but otherwise very human looking aliens HAS run its course; it's enough to swallow that Vulcans look just like us but with pointed ears and upswept eyebrows, but I think the Klingons should  appear shockingly different from either humans or Vulcans.  I say bring it on.

I really don't care if they have new Klingon makeup or if it's set in a new alternate uni-multi-pocket-parallel-o-verse with added loadbearing canon 'n' continuity rearticulations, as long as the stories are good and I give a toss about the characters. I just want to believe in Star Trek on TV again.

:Voyager3:  :punk:

Equally, I will be avoiding the Internet when it's flooded with anally retentive protestations that "They got the Klingons wr-o-o-ong!" :azp-argue:

So there's also that.

I really don't care if they have new Klingon makeup or if it's set in a new alternate uni-multi-pocket-parallel-o-verse with added loadbearing canon 'n' continuity rearticulations, as long as the stories are good and I give a toss about the characters. I just want to believe in Star Trek on TV again.

:Voyager3:  :punk:

Equally, I will be avoiding the Internet when it's flooded with anally retentive protestations that "They got the Klingons wr-o-o-ong!" :azp-argue:

:azp-argue:"

hahaha that emoji sums up fandom too well.  Not that I don't enjoy the debate!  Let's just not lose sight of the prize.  Like you say, so long as the stories and characters are good, I'll be a happy camper.  Wardrobe, makeup, and special effects are just icing on the cake.  I mean, I don't rewatch TOS religiously because of the special effects.  Personally, I wish they had never engaged in the fan wankery of explaining the change in Klingon head ridges on Enterprise.  It only validated the fans that demand in-universe explanations for updated makeup or creative choices.