Frontier

Lots of New Information on Discovery

620 posts in this topic

This is not the way the world works.  Hey I would've paid for the the bread...but if they didn't want me to steal it they wouldn't have put the bread so inconveniently far away from the register. 

That's not a good analogy.  There are plenty of venues this show can be shown where people can see them.  The fact that they want to charge people to watch a show is on them.  Piracy took a big hit thanks to netflix because people can get a wide variety of things for a small fee that makes piracy not worth it.  The variety is where it's worth it.  To take a franchise that popular and say you have to pay to watch it is telling the fans that they don't mean anything.  So fine--game on.

Nonsense.  It isn't telling fans "you mean nothing to us" it is saying quite the opposite.  CBS knows Trek and it's fans are a big property in their pocket...which is exactly why they are using it's branding to try and build up their own service...a service, by the way, they didn't launch for Trek. CBSAA has been in service since I worked at a CBS affiliate...and I left there in 2014, it has been up and running for at least 3 or 4 years. Now they are trying to get more subscribers via exclusive content. They see the writing on the wall and know that this business model can work. So they are trying to get something going with both Star Trek and The Good Fight (a sequel series to their hit The Good Wife). 

They aren't telling fans they mean nothing, they are saying that Trek fans mean so much they could probably help build an actual following for their streaming service they've been trying to make a proper success for a few years. I agree that the service needs more programming and more variety.  But since the first two exclusive shows on the site are VASTLY different kinds of shows, it is clear that is what they are working on. I see no reason why Netflix needs to become a monopoly just because it is convenient for a few out there. CBS wants to compete, why give away a hot property because a few fans will balk at $6.

But piracy is stealing, and if you want to watch a show, you pay for it.  HBO costs $15 a month. If you pirate one of their shows because it is too pricey...well then you are a thief.  You want the content, you pay for it. If the price is not worth it, you don't watch.  Justifying to yourself that if they didn't want you to steal they would've put it on the service you personally already have is pretty silly.

This is not the way the world works.  Hey I would've paid for the the bread...but if they didn't want me to steal it they wouldn't have put the bread so inconveniently far away from the register. 

That's not a good analogy.  There are plenty of venues this show can be shown where people can see them.  The fact that they want to charge people to watch a show is on them.  Piracy took a big hit thanks to netflix because people can get a wide variety of things for a small fee that makes piracy not worth it.  The variety is where it's worth it.  To take a franchise that popular and say you have to pay to watch it is telling the fans that they don't mean anything.  So fine--game on.

Nonsense.  It isn't telling fans "you mean nothing to us" it is saying quite the opposite.  CBS knows Trek and it's fans are a big property in their pocket...which is exactly why they are using it's branding to try and build up their own service...a service, by the way, they didn't launch for Trek. CBSAA has been in service since I worked at a CBS affiliate...and I left there in 2014, it has been up and running for at least 3 or 4 years. Now they are trying to get more subscribers via exclusive content. They see the writing on the wall and know that this business model can work. So they are trying to get something going with both Star Trek and The Good Fight (a sequel series to their hit The Good Wife). 

They aren't telling fans they mean nothing, they are saying that Trek fans mean so much they could probably help build an actual following for their streaming service they've been trying to make a proper success for a few years. I agree that the service needs more programming and more variety.  But since the first two exclusive shows on the site are VASTLY different kinds of shows, it is clear that is what they are working on. I see no reason why Netflix needs to become a monopoly just because it is convenient for a few out there. CBS wants to compete, why give away a hot property because a few fans will balk at $6.

But piracy is stealing, and if you want to watch a show, you pay for it.  HBO costs $15 a month. If you pirate one of their shows because it is too pricey...well then you are a thief.  You want the content, you pay for it. If the price is not worth it, you don't watch.  Justifying to yourself that if they didn't want you to steal they would've put it on the service you personally already have is pretty silly.

If DSC were released direct-to-DVD would it be ethical to physically steal the DVDs off of a retailer shelf?  It's the EXACT same thing, I agree with Kenman.

If DSC were released direct-to-DVD would it be ethical to physically steal the DVDs off of a retailer shelf?  It's the EXACT same thing, I agree with Kenman.

There's moral and practical. Morally it is wrong to steal. But if you look at the most stolen shows, they are the most expensive to buy. I'm sure there is economist with a sales chart showing how as they raise the price piracy increases. You can spend millions of dollars to stop piracy. You can live with it. Or you can keep the price low enough to increase sales, profit and decrease piracy because most people are pretty honest and won't go out of their way to pirate if they can get it cheap enough. 

CBS is not gouging. They are charging a very reasonable price. 

There's moral and practical. Morally it is wrong to steal. But if you look at the most stolen shows, they are the most expensive to buy. I'm sure there is economist with a sales chart showing how as they raise the price piracy increases. You can spend millions of dollars to stop piracy. You can live with it. Or you can keep the price low enough to increase sales, profit and decrease piracy because most people are pretty honest and won't go out of their way to pirate if they can get it cheap enough. 

CBS is not gouging. They are charging a very reasonable price. 

I agree.   
The price of CBSAA is far less than if one were to buy the episodes piecemeal online at iTunes/Amazon, or on hard media. 

I love Star Trek enough to pay for it.

I'm actually so excited right now.  I grew up watching Voyager and Deep Space Nine, and then Enterprise after that.  Star Trek is such an important part of my life, I would pay $40 a month for it, easy.  Just knowing that I'm going to be getting to know a new crew and a new ship (and maybe crew(s) and ship(s)!) is bringing joy to my life.  

I'm actually so excited right now.  I grew up watching Voyager and Deep Space Nine, and then Enterprise after that.  Star Trek is such an important part of my life, I would pay $40 a month for it, easy.  Just knowing that I'm going to be getting to know a new crew and a new ship (and maybe crew(s) and ship(s)!) is bringing joy to my life.  

Spoken like a true fan.  :thumbup:

$40 a month might be a bit of a budget buster for me, but at the price of CBSAA now?  It's well worth it.  And I could be wrong, but arren't Canadian viewers getting it on Netflix?  

$40 a month might be a bit of a budget buster for me, but at the price of CBSAA now?  It's well worth it.  And I could be wrong, but arren't Canadian viewers getting it on Netflix?  

Nope, both the US and Canada don't get the Netflix deal.

Canada, according to Wikipedia, gets this:

For Canada, the premiere will be broadcast on the CTV network on the same night as the U.S. premiere, with subsequent episodes initially aired on Bell's science fiction cable channels—Space in English, Z in French—before being streamed on CraveTV.

Nope, both the US and Canada don't get the Netflix deal.

Canada, according to Wikipedia, gets this:

For Canada, the premiere will be broadcast on the CTV network on the same night as the U.S. premiere, with subsequent episodes initially aired on Bell's science fiction cable channels—Space in English, Z in French—before being streamed on CraveTV.

^
Ah, thanks.

I knew I was probably wrong. :P

Ooooooooh!   Thanks for that, Robin.

I think the look of the uniforms (and chair) are striking the right balance between modern and retro.   It would've been laughable for new audiences if they fully emulated the production design of "The Cage." 

As our own Founder once put it (when he viewed "The Cage" for the 1st time), the tech in that pilot looks almost steampunk today.

I think the look of the uniforms (and chair) are striking the right balance between modern and retro.   It would've been laughable for new audiences if they fully emulated the production design of "The Cage." 

As our own Founder once put it (when he viewed "The Cage" for the 1st time), the tech in that pilot looks almost steampunk today.

It says "video not available"... :cry:

This guy posted it on YT, should work fine :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu_W_5oZf7c

Ah thanks, now I could see it!

So the only uniform we see is the blue one? Doesn't looks bad, IMO! :thumbup:

I thought it looked good too!

That ship blueprint looked sort of like a centaur-type one from DS9 but with a NX-class saucer.

[Oh, geekdom!] :)

Leave it to our lovable tailor/tinkerer/spy to fix the situation.   :P

Well done, Garak.

That ship blueprint looked sort of like a centaur-type one from DS9 but with a NX-class saucer.

:laugh::thumbup:

I like the "serious" look of the uniform, it doesn't look too "silly" for a quasi-military organization.

But I hope the uniforms won't look all the same. I'd like it if different branches had different colors, as it was on on the other shows. I always felt the TWOK uniforms are a bit boring, due to their ... uniformity.

To quote the many worry warts in Trek fandom...I just wouldn't be surprised if this show never gets off the ground and is cancelled before it begins!

:laugh::thumbup:

I like the "serious" look of the uniform, it doesn't look too "silly" for a quasi-military organization.

But I hope the uniforms won't look all the same. I'd like it if different branches had different colors, as it was on on the other shows. I always felt the TWOK uniforms are a bit boring, due to their ... uniformity.

I like the look of the TWOK uniforms as costumes, but not uniforms.  They also look a teensy bit fascistic.  They were right for that film's tone (nautical but nice), but the new uniforms glimpsed in the video look very interesting.  Somewhere between ENT and TOS, with a dash of modern as well.

Well done, Garak.

My pleasure to help ;)

I still have contacts on Cardassia, they ware more than happy to provide me with this most recent intelligence report on the Federation's last attempt at bubbly, and happy storytelling. :P

Well done, Garak.

My pleasure to help ;)

I still have contacts on Cardassia, they ware more than happy to provide me with this most recent intelligence report on the Federation's last attempt at bubbly, and happy storytelling. :P

You've been drinking human root beer again...:P

It looked good, but the question I was left with was this:

Why did the uniform have the arrowhead Starfleet delta on it? If this is set in the Prime timeline, and before TOS, then Starfleet wouldn't have adopted that as a universal emblem yet and would only be on the Enterprise, no?

Why did the uniform have the arrowhead Starfleet delta on it? If this is set in the Prime timeline, and before TOS, then Starfleet wouldn't have adopted that as a universal emblem yet and would only be on the Enterprise, no?

I think they're fudging continuity a bit; same reason they're not using "Cage"-era uniforms.   Same thing with ST09's "Kelvin" prologue sequence; it was set in 2233, yet the communicators and other tech were far less bulky than what we saw 'years later' in 2254's "The Cage."

I think they're fudging continuity a bit; same reason they're not using "Cage"-era uniforms.   Same thing with ST09's "Kelvin" prologue sequence; it was set in 2233, yet the communicators and other tech were far less bulky than what we saw 'years later' in 2254's "The Cage."

Yeah, the Starfleet delta is so iconic by now, not using it would go against expectations, I guess.

That it was unique to the Enterprise in TOS is now a relatively minor canon point IMO, since ever after TOS, it was used as general Starfleet emblem, and only a small handful of TOS episodes contradict this reading.

Yeah, the Starfleet delta is so iconic by now, not using it would go against expectations, I guess.

That it was unique to the Enterprise in TOS is now a relatively minor canon point IMO, since ever after TOS, it was used as general Starfleet emblem, and only a small handful of TOS episodes contradict this reading.

We know there are going to be upgrades in the look of the show, canon or not.   Some ideas and looks from the mid-'60s simply don't work anymore.   They're fine for a fan film, which has no obligation to a wider (paying) audience, but the expectations for a new general audience series will be different.    A flip-top communicator the size of the TOS versions is just laughable today, as are tabulating computers and velour shirts.    What was futuristic then is surpassed now; it's up to the production design team of DSC to come up with a look that both honors what went before, but keeps an eye toward OUR future... and not the imagined future of 1966. 

We know there are going to be upgrades in the look of the show, canon or not.   Some ideas and looks from the mid-'60s simply don't work anymore.   They're fine for a fan film, which has no obligation to a wider (paying) audience, but the expectations for a new general audience series will be different.    A flip-top communicator the size of the TOS versions is just laughable today, as are tabulating computers and velour shirts.    What was futuristic then is surpassed now; it's up to the production design team of DSC to come up with a look that both honors what went before, but keeps an eye toward OUR future... and not the imagined future of 1966. 

I kind of like the idea of keeping the flip-top communicator, but smaller. In TOS, to communicate on the ship they had to walk to a panel and push a button. Maybe make the NG communicators work for short distance on the ship but have to use the flip-top communicators on the planet.