Sign in to follow this  
Nombrecomun

Stranger Things - Spoilers?

Anyone watching this Netflix show? I finished watching it this weekend. It's only a handful of eps so it's easy(waaaayyy too easy) to binge watch. 

I loved it. I liked how it combines many elements of Stephen King, Steven Spielberg, John Carpenter, etc...Don't want to give much away but if you're a fan of 80's scifi/horror movies then I think you'll like this as well. 

Locutus   

Anyone watching this Netflix show? I finished watching it this weekend. It's only a handful of eps so it's easy(waaaayyy too easy) to binge watch. 

I loved it. I liked how it combines many elements of Stephen King, Steven Spielberg, John Carpenter, etc...Don't want to give much away but if you're a fan of 80's scifi/horror movies then I think you'll like this as well. 

Yes, I thought the first season was excellent.  I'm sure Netflix will re-up for more seasons.  

My only real gripe is Winona Ryder's character.  The frantic mom schtick got old pretty quick.  I guess I was hoping she'd become more strong by the end of the season and get her own revenge. On the other hand, that might have been cheesy and unrealistic.  

I generally like its depiction of ordinary people thrust into extreme circumstances.  Looking forward to more!  The 80s tv/movie feel and references give the show a nostalgic and cool aspect as well.

SPOILERS......

I think what they did with the teenagers was a bit out of the norm. It would have been easy to have the good-looking jock guy to be an a-hole but turns out he's ok. I thought they were going to the typical "girl falls for the bad guy, feels used, and then goes for the recluse type" but they veered away from that too. I liked how the teen girl ends up tough. 

The kids are a delight and the 11 is great. 

We've seen all of this before yet it feels fresh. Not sure how to explain that. 

kenman   

I loved this show!  It is very probably the best original show Netflix has put out (in my opinion).  I loved the style, I loved the music, the fact that they cast awkward teens that actually looked like awkward teens, I loved that it blended 80s style sci-fi/fantasy/horror with some modern TV storytelling.

I just enjoyed the hell out of it, and I actually really liked Ryder in it too!

SEASON 2 SPOILERS AHEAD...

Just finished watching Season 2, which I hugely enjoyed.

New characters! I loved Max and brother Billy, but she as a character didn’t have much agency. She was introduced essentially to even out the balance of younger male/female characters and came laden with all this cool character embroidery (skateboard, Californian, splintered family life), but then was essentially a love interest and little else. All the other characters helped solve the problems and mysteries. The Duffers introduced the idea of sibling/parental abuse but then didn’t really explore it - though that scene with the stepfather and Billy was very uncomfortable. Also, Billy’s scene in ep 9 with Karen Wheeler was nothing short of comedy genius. Max and Billy were two really good new characters, but wasn’t quite sure what they there for other than to be new. 

That’s my only quibble in a season that was largely outstanding. I really enjoyed season 1, but thought it didn’t do an awful lot beyond some nice character stuff to get beyond its King/Spielberg trappings which did yield some nice creepy moments. This year, they explored everything they could; they broadened the remit of the whole show and did some spectacular character work. The cast was fantastic. 

[More later, I’m getting interrupted] 

2 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

SEASON 2 SPOILERS AHEAD...

Just finished watching Season 2, which I hugely enjoyed.

New characters! I loved Max and brother Billy, but she as a character didn’t have much agency. She was introduced essentially to even out the balance of younger male/female characters and came laden with all this cool character embroidery (skateboard, Californian, splintered family life), but then was essentially a love interest and little else. All the other characters helped solve the problems and mysteries. The Duffers introduced the idea of sibling/parental abuse but then didn’t really explore it - though that scene with the stepfather and Billy was very uncomfortable. Also, Billy’s scene in ep 9 with Karen Wheeler was nothing short of comedy genius. Max and Billy were two really good new characters, but wasn’t quite sure what they there for other than to be new. 

That’s my only quibble in a season that was largely outstanding. I really enjoyed season 1, but thought it didn’t do an awful lot beyond some nice character stuff to get beyond its King/Spielberg trappings which did yield some nice creepy moments. This year, they explored everything they could; they broadened the remit of the whole show and did some spectacular character work. The cast was fantastic. 

[More later, I’m getting interrupted] 

I more or less agree, but I saw Max as less a cipher and more an opportunity for future exploration; but I do agree that we could've seen a bit more of what makes her tick.  That said?  I think she was definitely interesting enough to bookmark for S3.

******SPOILER ALERT!! ********

I also liked Bob.  Oh, poor Bob. :(  I loved how they turned the seemingly cliched 'interloper' mom's BF character into a genuinely GOOD guy; sometimes that's the way life happens.  We misjudge people.  First impressions aren't necessarily accurate ones.  I was sad to see Bob the Brain go (and in such a grisly though heroic way).   Sean Astin gave a sweet-natured performance.  You couldn't help but root for him to pull through (shades of his "Rudy" perhaps?). 

And I loved the ALIENS homages!  The ping sound FX of the trackers, Paul Reiser (Carter Burke himself) literally staring at the personal camera feeds on the monitor bank, and even the "Stay frosty" line.  Great touches!  

Also like the Exorcist homages as well; with Winona Ryder yelling at a roomful of doctors who can't figure out what's wrong with her son (or seemingly).  It was even shot like Ellen Burstyn's similar classic moment from The Exorcist.  And Will's channeling of 'the spy' (like Regan's "Captain Howdy" demon).  The group holding Will down during his bio-exorcism really hammered it home, but not in a tiresome way. 

What I really appreciate about this series' writing is that it takes all of these little '80s homages & elements (the Loser Club from "It" is the core of this show)  and puts them together in a fresh and unique way that never feels tired or obligatory.  All the nods  to '80s films and horror books still feel organic to the story.  It's masterfully done.

I need to save a little for my blog...:laugh:

On 11/4/2017 at 3:00 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

I more or less agree, but I saw Max as less a cipher and more an opportunity for future exploration; but I do agree that we could've seen a bit more of what makes her tick.  That said?  I think she was definitely interesting enough to bookmark for S3.

Oh, she definitely wasn’t a cipher - Sadie Sink is far too charming and gifted an actress for that. I just wish they’d have given the character a little more involvement and agency.

On 11/4/2017 at 3:00 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

******SPOILER ALERT!! ********

I also liked Bob.  Oh, poor Bob. :(  I loved how they turned the seemingly cliched 'interloper' mom's BF character into a genuinely GOOD guy; sometimes that's the way life happens.  We misjudge people.  First impressions aren't necessarily accurate ones.  I was sad to see Bob the Brain go (and in such a grisly though heroic way).   Sean Astin gave a sweet-natured performance.  You couldn't help but root for him to pull through (shades of his "Rudy" perhaps?). 

And I loved the ALIENS homages!  The ping sound FX of the trackers, Paul Reiser (Carter Burke himself) literally staring at the personal camera feeds on the monitor bank, and even the "Stay frosty" line.  Great touches!  

Also like the Exorcist homages as well; with Winona Ryder yelling at a roomful of doctors who can't figure out what's wrong with her son (or seemingly).  It was even shot like Ellen Burstyn's similar classic moment from The Exorcist.  And Will's channeling of 'the spy' (like Regan's "Captain Howdy" demon).  The group holding Will down during his bio-exorcism really hammered it home, but not in a tiresome way. 

What I really appreciate about this series' writing is that it takes all of these little '80s homages & elements (the Loser Club from "It" is the core of this show)  and puts them together in a fresh and unique way that never feels tired or obligatory.  All the nods  to '80s films and horror books still feel organic to the story.  It's masterfully done.

I need to save a little for my blog...:laugh:

Bob, for example, was tremendous, and had a whole lot to do! And if it wasn’t for him the escape from the lab would’ve claimed more lives. I was genuinely gutted when he bought it - Sean Astin made him so lovable in not much screen time at all. Paul Reiser’s Dr. Owen was another great addition to the cast - I loved that it turns out he genuinely wasn’t a bad guy. But, you know, I love Paul Reiser (and I really enjoyed the little ALIENS homages too). My  criticism of the way Max and Billy were introduced is much more about the fact the ST handles its characters so well, and they felt a little undercooked. Intriguing questions about them were asked, but not really illuminated. Max was cool, but in the end, had little agency of her own, even down to the fact that Jane/El sort of blew her out at the final episode, as if Max really had been after Mike (which she wasn’t, so that was a bit of a red herring).  I accept that ST will probably do more with both characters next season, but that felt like he only bum note to me for this one.  

On the other hand, where Winona Ryder’s Joyce was slightly annoying in S1, she was fantastic this season. Noah Schnapp as Will was just outstanding. That performance was up there with Dafne Keen in Logan for heartrending (and sinister at times, too). David Harbour as Sheriff Hopper and Millie Bobbie Brown as Eleven were the most superb partnership imaginable - all their scenes together were so compelling. There was just so much good character stuff, all of it wonderfully played. I hues that’s why Billy and Max stuck out a bit. 

I’ve seen a lot of criticism elsewhere eonline about ep 7, but I actually found that an interesting detour. I did think the members of 08’s gang were a bit cliched, but it seemed like it was trying or call one of those 80s Brat Pack movies an I was okay with it. It felt like a breather before the big denouement, and boy, we got the big climax. 

Overall, I loved it. I felt it really delivered and even improved on season 1 in some ways. A hugely enjoyable show that’s as much about character as it is about scares and a good creepy atmosphere. And there’s plenty of that too. Deserves all the raves. Great TV. 

And now I can read your blog! 

PS Steve had the best character development of all! 

This is a complete out-of-left-field comment, but... Last night, I attended the Annual awards gala for Chapman University in our town of Orange, CA.  There were two honorees:

• The Fowler family, notable for endowments to Chapman now in excess of $100,000,000 (yes, 100 Million)
  • The Duffer brothers, 2007 graduates in film technologies for their creation and direction of Stranger Things.

There was an awful lot of big money cruising around campus last night.

7 hours ago, Mutai Sho-Rin said:

This is a complete out-of-left-field comment, but... Last night, I attended the Annual awards gala for Chapman University in our town of Orange, CA.  There were two honorees:

• The Fowler family, notable for endowments to Chapman now in excess of $100,000,000 (yes, 100 Million)
  • The Duffer brothers, 2007 graduates in film technologies for their creation and direction of Stranger Things.

There was an awful lot of big money cruising around campus last night.

To be sure!

7 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Oh, she definitely wasn’t a cipher - Sadie Sink is far too charming and gifted an actress for that. I just wish they’d have given the character a little more involvement and agency.

Bob, for example, was tremendous, and had a whole lot to do! And if it wasn’t for him the escape from the lab would’ve claimed more lives. I was genuinely gutted when he bought it - Sean Astin made him so lovable in not much screen time at all. Paul Reiser’s Dr. Owen was another great addition to the cast - I loved that it turns out he genuinely wasn’t a bad guy. But, you know, I love Paul Reiser (and I really enjoyed the little ALIENS homages too). My  criticism of the way Max and Billy were introduced is much more about the fact the ST handles its characters so well, and they felt a little undercooked. Intriguing questions about them were asked, but not really illuminated. Max was cool, but in the end, had little agency of her own, even down to the fact that Jane/El sort of blew her out at the final episode, as if Max really had been after Mike (which she wasn’t, so that was a bit of a red herring).  I accept that ST will probably do more with both characters next season, but that felt like he only bum note to me for this one.  

On the other hand, where Winona Ryder’s Joyce was slightly annoying in S1, she was fantastic this season. Noah Schnapp as Will was just outstanding. That performance was up there with Dafne Keen in Logan for heartrending (and sinister at times, too). David Harbour as Sheriff Hopper and Millie Bobbie Brown as Eleven were the most superb partnership imaginable - all their scenes together were so compelling. There was just so much good character stuff, all of it wonderfully played. I hues that’s why Billy and Max stuck out a bit. 

I’ve seen a lot of criticism elsewhere eonline about ep 7, but I actually found that an interesting detour. I did think the members of 08’s gang were a bit cliched, but it seemed like it was trying or call one of those 80s Brat Pack movies an I was okay with it. It felt like a breather before the big denouement, and boy, we got the big climax. 

Overall, I loved it. I felt it really delivered and even improved on season 1 in some ways. A hugely enjoyable show that’s as much about character as it is about scares and a good creepy atmosphere. And there’s plenty of that too. Deserves all the raves. Great TV. 

And now I can read your blog! 

PS Steve had the best character development of all! 

He even passed on the secret of “Farrah hair.”  :laugh:

Sign in to follow this