Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
digitalmoose

My own Enterprise(s) build...

9 posts in this topic

For the past few months I've been picking at a couple of Enterprise models... the 1/350 TOS Enterprise and the 1/350 Refit model.

I haven't built a model in over 20 years and have wanted to do them justice.  My focus is on the TOS for now and I'm just picking at the refit.

I have Tena Controls lighting for both and am doing all the windows with LED light strips that will be cut, soldered, and hot glued in.

I have Photoetch sets for each, which I have only looked at in the bags, and I have a paint mask set for the TOS version - I won't need decals for main shapes and text, and I have Aztecing masks for the refit... Should be fun.  I'll try and post some pics as I work, what I have now is pretty haphazard, but I'm going to try and use the forum to document what I'm doing, and perhaps if I get slack on working on it people here can nag me into getting back to it! lol.

IMG_1397.jpeg

IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_1470.jpeg

IMG_1482.jpeg

IMG_1483.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

IMG_1485.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck, Digitalmoose! Looks off to a splendid start. Are these the Moebius models refit and Polar Lights TOS kits? (Or is it the other way around?) I've looked at those, but like you, haven't built kits in about 20 years. Used to be pretty good, though I never tried lighting anything - everything was always done with paint. I wa surety good at detailing. But you look here to be going about it all with great care and attention - look forward to your updates! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are the polar lights sets... good builds, a few minor issues here and there, but great sets.  I'm going to try and fix few issues along the way with the photo etch parts which I have never used before.  The only complaint on my part is the saucer of the TOS enterprise, it had the gridlines top and bottom, and there is a bit of a pebbled texture to the whole thing, and I just don't have it in me to sand it all down to make it like the shooting model, as a result I'm at a loss as to how to get rid of the seam when the top of the saucer gets glued down to the bottom... I may have to just make it light tight and live with the line, otherwise to fill and sand the seam will create a textural oddity on the overall saucer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update:  Here is the 1701, about 90% complete... a few pieces left on secondary hull, a few touchups with paint and a few decals on the bottom of saucer.

The refit is no further along than last spring, I'm going to give that some attention once I get this one done.

enterprise-inpro.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update:  Here is the 1701, about 90% complete... a few pieces left on secondary hull, a few touchups with paint and a few decals on the bottom of saucer.

The refit is no further along than last spring, I'm going to give that some attention once I get this one done.

enterprise-inpro.jpg

Breathtaking!!   WOW!  That looks ready for shooting on a blue screen stage.  Beautifully done, digitalmoose! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely beautiful!  Using a paint mask instead of decals; and using a LED strip instead of bulk inside lighting are great ideas.  Plus you're using a Photoetch set for those professional details.  Now THAT'S attention to detail!  The light shines perfectly out of the windows and port holes.  You must've spent a long time with a razor clearing the excess plastic from them.

In the past, I would use the decals and they would tear apart.  Or later I would spray a clear coating over top in an attempt to protect the paint and decals.  Then the decals would lift up.  It was SO frustrating!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The windows and such were pretty clean actually... a few needed cleanup. Around the shuttle bay is still a mess... there's some bondo there and the dome above the bay doors isn't in yet in yet.  I'm going to fill and spray the seems on top and bottom of the neck and try airbrushing a bit of weathering; I had no intention of doing that when I started, however I'm getting braver in that regard.  All of the paint so far is spray and I've been playing with the airbrush a bit more.... getting more comfortable with it. Once I move into the refit, I'm going to be committed to the airbrush, I have some of the powders to create the interference effect with the paint finish.  Should be fun that one.

 

 

Here's one of the LED strip light tests for the bottom of the saucer.

IMG_2019.jpg

saucer bottom.jpg

Edited by digitalmoose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VERY professional!  I see you're enjoying a little MGD during the build.  Good choice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0