Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

The Future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe ! Yay !

120 posts in this topic

Kevin Feige Reveals Exactly How Far Marvel Studios' Current Plans Stretch Into The Future

Marvel President Kevin Feige has weighed in on the future of the studio and exactly how far ahead they've planned out the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It sounds like Phase 4 is already taking shape.

Edited by GustavoLeao

DC should have been taking notes years ago.

Yeah....I'm sure audiences won't tire of all this by 2025. But good for Marvel fans I guess. 

Yeah....I'm sure audiences won't tire of all this by 2025. But good for Marvel fans I guess. 

I think I'm up for Doctor Strange... beyond that I'm not sure i could care even less. But the bairn enjoys 'em, so I'll take her.

I would really like to see a good old-fashioned action movie though. Or a thriller as they used to be known (showing my age.) These days, it's really only Bond on that front, and even he's kind of a superhero.

Dr. Strange is just looking better and better to me.

I think I'm up for Doctor Strange... beyond that I'm not sure i could care even less. But the bairn enjoys 'em, so I'll take her.

I would really like to see a good old-fashioned action movie though. Or a thriller as they used to be known (showing my age.) These days, it's really only Bond on that front, and even he's kind of a superhero.

I've seen some good stuff in the smaller indie range in the thriller department. "Gone Girl" comes to mind (that is a bigger budgeted one, but I've seen some on the smaller end of the budget range that have been quite good). 

I really don't dislike the Marvel movies...I tend to enjoy them, but they are beginning to feel more and more like a chore to me. 

I've seen some good stuff in the smaller indie range in the thriller department. "Gone Girl" comes to mind (that is a bigger budgeted one, but I've seen some on the smaller end of the budget range that have been quite good). 

I really don't dislike the Marvel movies...I tend to enjoy them, but they are beginning to feel more and more like a chore to me. 

Wasn't a huge fan of Gone Girl, performances aside. But I seem to be in the minority there. I just found it more irritating than thrilling, and my suspension of disbelief stopped working about a quarter of the way through.

I think the problem with the MCU is just that it's become ubiquitous - "events" you can buy into or ignore, and as soon as something is no longer special in our voracious entertainment-led culture, it's seen as old hat and only for the particularly dedicated fans. Which is why Star Wars, Star Trek and Doctor Who are odd beasts, because they both conform to the same idioms but somehow manage to renew themselves. They have a longevity that, even if you don't buy into it, you can recognize. That should be true of the MCU too - look at how long those characters have been around in print. Maybe it's just me and I'm an old fart. Or maybe it really is that those movies just don't have the deeper layers that repay revisiting.

Wasn't a huge fan of Gone Girl, performances aside. But I seem to be in the minority there. I just found it more irritating than thrilling, and my suspension of disbelief stopped working about a quarter of the way through.

I think the problem with the MCU is just that it's become ubiquitous - "events" you can buy into or ignore, and as soon as something is no longer special in our voracious entertainment-led culture, it's seen as old hat and only for the particularly dedicated fans. Which is why Star Wars, Star Trek and Doctor Who are odd beasts, because they both conform to the same idioms but somehow manage to renew themselves. They have a longevity that, even if you don't buy into it, you can recognize. That should be true of the MCU too - look at how long those characters have been around in print. Maybe it's just me and I'm an old fart. Or maybe it really is that those movies just don't have the deeper layers that repay revisiting.

I'm a young fart (I guess you could call it) and I just haven't revisited many of the Marvel movies.  I tried actually. I wasn't enthralled by much of the Phase 1 movies...but I realyl loved Avengers...and I actually own that one on Blu-ray. I revisited it one time, and it wasn't as exciting.  Still good, but I guess it lost a little something...maybe it was the "this is a special event!" thing had just worn off.  I haven't felt the need to pop it in again...and I think I've watched each of the Marvel movies just once really.  I'm not sure if there are any I've felt compelled to watch a second time.

I'm a young fart (I guess you could call it) and I just haven't revisited many of the Marvel movies.  I tried actually. I wasn't enthralled by much of the Phase 1 movies...but I realyl loved Avengers...and I actually own that one on Blu-ray. I revisited it one time, and it wasn't as exciting.  Still good, but I guess it lost a little something...maybe it was the "this is a special event!" thing had just worn off.  I haven't felt the need to pop it in again...and I think I've watched each of the Marvel movies just once really.  I'm not sure if there are any I've felt compelled to watch a second time.

Yeah, I have exactly the same problem. Whereas I'll rewatch Trek, Who, SW ad nauseum. (I know you're not as big on SW, but you get my examples.) I don't think it's just habit - I was brought up on Marvel and know the MU inside out - so it feels like the MCU should hold more allure for me. But same as you, I'll watch once - we have a few on blu-ray - but I often won't make it through a second viewing awake; it just feels like cotton candy in a way other franchise material doesn't.

I am interested in the anatomy of our apparent fartedness, because I'm not entirely convinced it's us. 

Yeah, I have exactly the same problem. Whereas I'll rewatch Trek, Who, SW ad nauseum. (I know you're not as big on SW, but you get my examples.) I don't think it's just habit - I was brought up on Marvel and know the MU inside out - so it feels like the MCU should hold more allure for me. But same as you, I'll watch once - we have a few on blu-ray - but I often won't make it through a second viewing awake; it just feels like cotton candy in a way other franchise material doesn't.

I am interested in the anatomy of our apparent fartedness, because I'm not entirely convinced it's us. 

I am certain there are folks that love to rewatch these movies...I am just clearly not one of them.  And in terms of my Star Wars fandom...I may not be the hugest fan i nthe world, but I do quite often pop on that unaltered original trilogy.  When I was a kid maybe more than now, but I would say every other year I might pop em on.  Trek I always end up watching something at least once a year!  Same with Doctor Who.  Those two things are my top out of almost anything.  Maybe throw in Futurama...I love that show a LOT. 

MARVEL rulez !!!

First BLACK PANTHER Story Details Revealed; Unexpected Team-Up And Two Villains Confirmed

Someone is going to be in trouble with Marvel Studios! During an interview at Comic-Con this weekend, Lupita Nyong’o revealed some surprising plot details for Black Panther.

MARVEL rulez !!!

First BLACK PANTHER Story Details Revealed; Unexpected Team-Up And Two Villains Confirmed

Someone is going to be in trouble with Marvel Studios! During an interview at Comic-Con this weekend, Lupita Nyong’o revealed some surprising plot details for Black Panther.

Haha! :biggrin:

Actually, I am looking forward to a genre movie that has more black main characters than not. That'll just be refreshing in itself. Something I'd look forward to taking my daughter to so she can see faces like her own up on that big screen. 

If the villain is Klaw, man of sound, that might be cool.

MARVEL rulez !!!

Haha! :biggrin:

Actually, I am looking forward to a genre movie that has more black main characters than not. That'll just be refreshing in itself. Something I'd look forward to taking my daughter to so she can see faces like her own up on that big screen. 

^
One of the reasons I loved "Blade" (the first movie) so much.  And yes, I look forward to "Black Panther" as well.   I really enjoyed the character's debut in Avengers--er, Captain America Civil War.    Oops.

Honestly, can't we just call these movies "Marvel # 12" or whatever by now? :laugh:

For me, I don't care, as long as the movie is good and respects the source material.  I always say that if you want a black character, create one.  Black Panther is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that.  The character looked great in Civil War.  I look forward to the movie.

For me, I don't care, as long as the movie is good and respects the source material.  I always say that if you want a black character, create one.  Black Panther is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that.  The character looked great in Civil War.  I look forward to the movie.

"I always say that if you want a black character, create one." Have you created any black characters recently? 

I don't make movies or write fiction in an established franchise.  If I did, and if I wanted a black character, I would either use one that was originally black, or I would create a new character. 

I don't make movies or write fiction in an established franchise.  If I did, and if I wanted a black character, I would either use one that was originally black, or I would create a new character. 

Okay... I'm not seeing your point here? Or is this a comment about writers or film/TV producers changing character's ethnicity? I made no such point...  

As far as that concern of black characters per se goes, I can pretty much guarantee that my pursuits in spreading diversity awareness in media and my life in general are not areas that I'm lacking in. How about you? 

It's more of a general comment on changing ethnicities, and I know you didn't make any point on that.  But your comment made me think about how that this movie is exactly what I mean when I argue against changing ethnicities.

Brie Larson Thanks Fans For Their Support After Being Cast As CAPTAIN MARVEL

Backlash to comic book movie casting has become commonplace recently (just ask Ben Affleck and Michael B. Jordan), but Brie Larson has shared a touching message for supportive Captain Marvel fans

It's more of a general comment on changing ethnicities, and I know you didn't make any point on that.  But your comment made me think about how that this movie is exactly what I mean when I argue against changing ethnicities.

So you took a completely unrelated point of mine to make a roundabout point of your own about changing ethnicity of characters...? Something I don't think you and I ever have directly discussed. 

Now, if I had talked about changing Black Panther's ethnicity to that of a white dude, I could understand if you had some point to make, but I didn't.

I'm not sure where this is going. All I said was that i was looking forward to taking my daughter - who is of dual heritage, black/white/middle-eastern mixed - to see a movie where she can see more black faces than is usual. To expand upon that point - we don't see that too often in Hollywood movies, so it's nice for her to see some reflection of one side of her heritage - the one that is massively underrepresented in western media - where people who look like her are main characters in a genre movie. Is there an issue here?

SK, I'm not a mod, but this is already skirting, 'Things I'm not going to be able to walk back even though I'd love to,' so, please do a Frozen and let this go.

It's got bad vibes all over it.

Edited by prometheus59650

Michael Cera IS... Black Panther.  :laugh:

Sorry, but I could NOT resist... :giggle:

I'm not sure I understand exactly how point A led to point B, but oh well.   

At any rate, I agree with Robin's point that it's nice to see more of the real world reflected in cinema (the world I live in, anyway).    

SK, I'm not a mod, but this is already skirting, 'Things I'm not going to be able to walk back even though I'd love to,' so, please do a Frozen and let this go.

Agreed.  
Let's all just take a step back from any potential KM territory here...

process-mapping-step-back.gif :)

Michael Cera IS... Black Panther. 

That really does have a Funny or Die  satire on diversity in Hollywood all over it though. :) 

It's got bad vibes all over it.

Absolutely no bad vibes intended. :)

Michael Cera IS... Black Panther.  :laugh:

Sorry, but I could NOT resist... :giggle:

I'm not sure I understand exactly how point A led to point B, but oh well.   

At any rate, I agree with Robin's point that it's nice to see more of the real world reflected in cinema (the world I live in, anyway).    

Agreed.  
Let's all just take a step back from any potential KM territory here...

process-mapping-step-back.gif :)

Michael Cera should play some character in the MCU, but I dunno who.

The new Nick Fury, maybe.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0