Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

The Enterprise-E

I enjoyed nemesis, by no means my favourite, on par with Generations, not as good as First Contact, better than Insurrection IMO.  I think it had pacing issues, but that's about my only problem with it.

INS is still my least favorite ST movie.   Despite NEM's flaws, it is still somewhat more watchable for me than Klingon zits, 'aliens' that look like California hippies and Data making boob jokes. 

And I like GEN for my own hard-to-articulate reasons.   Far better than either NEM or INS, IMO.   Again; just my opinion, of course... ;)

Nemesis still has a script filled with endless plot holes. I mean... yeah.

Patrick_Stewart_And_Stuart_Baird_2.thumb

Nah, seriously - the script was weak already AND they chose to go with a director who had no idea who anyone was and who didn't even consider that it JUST PERHAPS miiiiiiight be a bad idea to cut out all the character scenes for the sake of action, action, action. (If your script is weak, at least try to have good character moments.)

Still, I'm with Sehlat, I'll take Nemesis over Insurrection any day, but really, both movies are downright unwatchable. But Nemesis has one advantage over Insurrection, and that's the lack of Blandij. So yeah. If I had to pick one, Nemesis it would be.

Speaking of Insurrection tho... I recently read a review that made me howl with laughter... ah here it is, got it:

Revisiting Star Trek Insurrection

(don't read it if you LIKE the movie tho haha)

Nemesis still has a script filled with endless plot holes. I mean... yeah.

Patrick_Stewart_And_Stuart_Baird_2.thumb

Nah, seriously - the script was weak already AND they chose to go with a director who had no idea who anyone was and who didn't even consider that it JUST PERHAPS miiiiiiight be a bad idea to cut out all the character scenes for the sake of action, action, action. (If your script is weak, at least try to have good character moments.)

Still, I'm with Sehlat, I'll take Nemesis over Insurrection any day, but really, both movies are downright unwatchable. But Nemesis has one advantage over Insurrection, and that's the lack of Blandij. So yeah. If I had to pick one, Nemesis it would be.

Speaking of Insurrection tho... I recently read a review that made me howl with laughter... ah here it is, got it:

Revisiting Star Trek Insurrection

(don't read it if you LIKE the movie tho haha)

^
Oh my god, that was PERFECT.

I'd only wish I'd written it myself.  And yes, I feel affirmed in my belief that INS is the single WORST Star Trek movie ever made. :thumbup:

Hell, yeah, Sehlat, all hail GENERATIONS !

Best TNG movie ever ! Great acting from Stewat, Shatner and McDowell, great directing from David Carson, great FX and great score by Dennis McCarthy. This movie is soooooooooo great !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgZxLmPlozE

I loved the Enterprise-D. And to tell the truth, I was sad when TNG turned militaristic with FIRST CONTACT and a very militaristic Enterprise-E. Even the new uniforms has a more darker and militar feel, which was funny because they never mentioned the war in the movies.

Gus

I love Generations too, but I also love First Contact. To be honest it's really difficult to find a ST movie that I completely hate... And I kind of liked the new uniforms, they suited Ds9 just fine. 

The first time I saw Insurrection I actually liked it, I was just a kid. It was late at night and my mom was attending a marriage so me and my father stayed late watching ST and among them was the movie, Insurrection. Later on I related how flawed it was. And so did my father.

I love Generations too, but I also love First Contact. To be honest it's really difficult to find a ST movie that I completely hate... And I kind of liked the new uniforms, they suited Ds9 just fine.

Actually, the FC/DS9 5th season uniforms are my personal favorite of all of the ST movies.

The first time I saw Insurrection I actually liked it, I was just a kid. It was late at night and my mom was attending a marriage so me and my father stayed late watching ST and among them was the movie, Insurrection. Later on I related how flawed it was. And so did my father.

Same happened to me with Nemesis. I was relatively new to the franchise and the fandom and I was biased because I was literally watching the movie in the theater with nothing but little hearts in my mind because I had just realized I had fallen in love with Jean-Luc, had loved him for weeks without noticing. I didn't really care about the plot or the flaws, all I saw was Jean-Luc on the big screen. I was actually brave enough to run into my favorite German Trek message board afterwards and declare that Nemesis was "amazing". Everyone around me was like "what is GOING ON WITH YOU, have you lost your mind", haha. I did realize my error once I re-watched the movie on DVD and could barely finish it because of its glaring plot holes, but that first time seeing it? That really was something special somehow. So I can relate to you saying that you enjoyed Insurrection at first. 

Oh, I like FIRST CONTACT a lot. I didnt like it when I saw it in 1996 on the big screen because I thought that Picard was completely out of character, no more the cerebral, stoic and serious Jean Luc we all know and love, but FC presented a Die-Hard-like, action hero, out of control Picard and that really bothered me at the time, plus the militaristic feel of the Enterpirse-E and so forth. But after seeing the movie on VHS and then DVD, and after the "creative failures" of INSURRECTION and NEMESIS, I really begin to enjoy FIRST CONTACT and its now one of my favorite movies. A bit overrated, but a good movie.

Gus

Same happened to me with Nemesis. I was relatively new to the franchise and the fandom and I was biased because I was literally watching the movie in the theater with nothing but little hearts in my mind because I had just realized I had fallen in love with Jean-Luc, had loved him for weeks without noticing. I didn't really care about the plot or the flaws, all I saw was Jean-Luc on the big screen. I was actually brave enough to run into my favorite German Trek message board afterwards and declare that Nemesis was "amazing". Everyone around me was like "what is GOING ON WITH YOU, have you lost your mind", haha. I did realize my error once I re-watched the movie on DVD and could barely finish it because of its glaring plot holes, but that first time seeing it? That really was something special somehow. So I can relate to you saying that you enjoyed Insurrection at first. 

^
Somewhat similar thing with GEN; it was the time and circumstances I saw the movie under that made me kind of 'bond' with it.   It 'spoke' to me on a very personal level that year (1994-5); a lot was happening in my life personally at that time, and the movie seemed to address some of those very things almost dead-on, in an elegant and poetic way.   Picard was my avatar in some ways in that movie.   It was a time in my life where I would've gladly jumped into a nexus and never 
returned, let me tell you...;)

I watch it now and I'm a bit more objective regarding some of its failings, but it still gets to me.

Guess I'm just overly sentimental, I dunno.  

It's fascinating how views can shift sometimes, into both directions - from like to dislike and from dislike to like. Or remain the same, also with like and dislike. I mean first time I tried to watch Insurrection I had to stop somewhere around the middle because I threw a dish at the wall in complete and utter anger, and I get the same urge today whenever someone even mentions the movie's NAME, so I doubt I'll ever change my utter loathing of it. :P

It's fascinating how views can shift sometimes, into both directions - from like to dislike and from dislike to like. Or remain the same, also with like and dislike. I mean first time I tried to watch Insurrection I had to stop somewhere around the middle because I threw a dish at the wall in complete and utter anger, and I get the same urge today whenever someone even mentions the movie's NAME, so I doubt I'll ever change my utter loathing of it. :P

INS makes me want to hurl plates too (for disappointing me so much on my birthday at the time of its premiere).   If I wouldn't be stuck cleaning it up afterward, I would imagine it'd be good therapy. ;)

INS makes me want to hurl plates too (for disappointing me so much on my birthday at the time of its premiere).   If I wouldn't be stuck cleaning it up afterward, I would imagine it'd be good therapy. ;)

I'd have SCREAMED if someone had exposed me to BLANDIJ on my BIRTHDAY.

tumblr_n32wezVes41tw1vhco1_500.gif

I still think if they had gone with Michael Piller original "Heart of Darkness" storyline for INSURRECTION, it could have been the best STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION movie.

Gus

kenman   

Generations is a movie I find flawed and it doesn't totally work as a movie, but I enjoy it more for some mild nostalgia.  I don't honestly pop the TNG movies in near as much as pop in the TOS cast films...but when I discovered Trek it was the 25th anniversary and TUC came out...and so those movies on VHS really were one of my main entry points into Trek.  TUC was even my first movie in a theater.  I remember Generations as a big event...two icons meet! And on that level?  Decent.  But my critical mind struggles with it's rather weak plotting and a feeling that not all of the storylines mesh (the Data emotion chip thing is just awful to sit through these days).  But hey...saw it on my birthday with some friends on an HBO free weekend or something (the only way we saw HBO in my house as a kid). 

First Contact I loved when it first came out, but I don't think it has aged as well as I thought it would.  I used to rank that one pretty high...but these days it has moved down my list...I don't know why really...but like all the TNG movies, I'd rather just watch an episode than a flick (and since all are in HD? Why not, they will all look great!). 

Insurrection might actually be the only TNG movie I saw in the theater.  I wonder why I kind of fell out of Trek not long after?  I didn't see Nemesis until it came out on DVD and I borrowed it from a friend.  I enjoyed it when I saw it. But isnce I have gotten more into Trek I like it less and less.  I've been thinking of possibly giving the TNG cinematic efforts another watch.  I was ranking all the movies in my head on the drive to work one day...and I couldn't figure out which order I'd personally place Insurrection and Nemesis when it comes down to the bottom of the list.  I think They might just edge out Into Darkness for the bottom...because hey...at least Patrick Stewart. 

Have you read the late Michael Piller's FADE-IN THE WRITING OF STAR TREK unpublished book that was never published because revealed too much about the behind the scenes problems and politics of writing the movie ? It reveals a lot.

Gus

I always thought the 24/26 deck issue was due to Starfleet, between FC and Nem editing out two numbers to speed up their 100 self-destruct countdowns. They ditched the numbers 24 and 25, just to mess with people hearing the countdown. So 26 was the new 24.

Sign in to follow this