Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

The Enterprise-E

Scotty   

I am currently watching Nemesis, as always I love the movies, the ships and the stories of the first ten films. I also enjoy the timelines of Star Trek. Quiet a while ago I read that someone was complaining about the inconsistancy concerning the Enterprise-E. It was stated that the Enterprise had 24 decks, another scene saying deck 26. Heres how I think it makes makes sense. I never respond to this person because I never thought about this.

Heres how I see it.

In a small cargo bay, Picard and Lily Sloan are escaping the Borg. He states that there is 24 decks. Fact. 

My thought: Picard, simply said 24 to not give away too much about the Enterprise. If you came across someone you didn't know would you tell them a full detail of a the future? I wouldn't.

Daniels, states that the Borg took a portion of the ship, up to deck 26. Fact. 

My thought: he was sinply doing his job. He told what the he had to tell his commander. So he told what number of decls the ship had.

Nemeis, had a line of deck 35. The movie takes place after the Doninion war. The Borg, took place fore the war. I really think deck were added after first Contact. The ship got a refit. The ship got refitted at the end of Nemesis after the Enterprise got mashed into Shinzons ship.

Your thoughts? Sorry for the ramble, I am just a bot bored.

Refits, at least in the Trek world, generally alter the appearance of the ship. I don't see any real differences in it between FC and NEM.

Let's go with "26."

The additional square kilometers for NINE decks has to go somewhere. It's nowhere that I can see when, if they actually tried to do that it'd probably end up as a belly ring on the secondary hull like the B.

But there's nothing, so i'm thinking it's just a reshuffle of internal components followed by a re-number with no real additions.

Edited by prometheus59650

To be honest, I've alway contributed the number of Ent-E decks to 'writer's mistake' and left it at that.   But if I had to call it?  Prometheus' answer is as good as any. 

Nemesis gives a deck number of 29. But since 29 is the apparently the deck with the bottomless pit that shouldn't really be there unless it's a brilliant symbolism of the endless plot hole that the movie is... I'm honestly inclined to ignore it, much like people tend to ignore the massive increase in deck numbers in that TOS movie (can't remember which one).

In short: The movies in general seem to have a problem with deck numbers, and people just seem to take a favorite pick, some say the Ent-E has 24 decks because the captain says so and Daniels gets it wrong because NERVOUS, others say the first number that is spoken on screen counts as canon. It's entirely open to interpretation. (No one I've come across has ever seemed to take Nemesis seriously though, haha, it's mostly a First Contact inconsistency battle.) I personally tend to prefer 24 for the Enterprise-E not because Jean-Luc says it but mostly because I can easily keep it in my dyscalculia mind: Enterprise-D 42, Enterprise-E 24.

Nemesis gives a deck number of 29. But since 29 is the apparently the deck with the bottomless pit that shouldn't really be there unless it's a brilliant symbolism of the endless plot hole that the movie is... I'm honestly inclined to ignore it, much like people tend to ignore the massive increase in deck numbers in that TOS movie (can't remember which one).

In short: The movies in general seem to have a problem with deck numbers, and people just seem to take a favorite pick, some say the Ent-E has 24 decks because the captain says so and Daniels gets it wrong because NERVOUS, others say the first number that is spoken on screen counts as canon. It's entirely open to interpretation. (No one I've come across has ever seemed to take Nemesis seriously though, haha, it's mostly a First Contact inconsistency battle.) I personally tend to prefer 24 for the Enterprise-E not because Jean-Luc says it but mostly because I can easily keep it in my dyscalculia mind: Enterprise-D 42, Enterprise-E 24.

^
Maybe decks 25-42 are all part of the ship's bottomless pit... the purpose of which seems to be to send marauding Remans plunging to their deaths. :P

^
Maybe decks 25-42 are all part of the ship's bottomless pit... the purpose of which seems to be to send marauding Remans plunging to their deaths. :P

Maybe the pits open up randomly as part of the intruder control system?  :)

^

Hmm. They could be a mixture of artificially created little black holes and holographic technology. (Pretty sure malfunctions would be rather unfortunate with such an intruder control system tho. lol)

What am I doing - I can't believe I'm trying to actually make sense out of NEMESIS, haha!

^

Hmm. They could be a mixture of artificially created little black holes and holographic technology. (Pretty sure malfunctions would be rather unfortunate with such an intruder control system tho. lol)

What am I doing - I can't believe I'm trying to actually make sense out of NEMESIS, haha!

At least you're not defending dune buggies yet...:laugh:

^

If I ever do that, please slap me. :P 

^

If I ever do that, please slap me. :P 

I'll just... um, sternly suggest you refrain from doing so.  :laugh:

My website used to only have 24 decks listed, but that was mainly because I never got round to updating it. lol

I had a deck chart for it (Pretty sure it was the only place to have one, since I never found another site that did)

http://web.archive.org/web/20080905183038/http://www.ussenterprise.co.uk/enterprise/ente/

And yes, it's a web archive because I stopped hosting and running the site earlier this year.

Maybe it's Ike that movie Cube, and the walls of the lower decks of the Enterprise keep moving. Except it's not just the walls, it's the floors. 

LOL Robin! I just hope the E isn't as DEADLY as that cube is in that movie! ;) 

On a more serious note... I actually do believe that the official number of decks was always supposed to be 24.

I have a poster of the E and it comes with some technical specs, and since I very much doubt that they made all of it up (it's an officially licensed poster, none of this stuff gets through un-approved)... welp.

Here's a pic of the poster section in question. Sorry, it's in German, but it says "Number Of Decks: 24".

image.thumb.jpeg.b2a3d67232175bb53f7e76c

I think that deck 26 thing in First Contact was just a mistake, and Nemesis, well, I can't take a movie seriously that shows a weird-looking Academy!Jean-Luc (who doesn't even look like a young JLP at all) without hair. They had no idea what they were doing in the first place canon-wise, it's actually a miracle they didn't have a line about the ship having 70 decks or something.

Maybe it's Ike that movie Cube, and the walls of the lower decks of the Enterprise keep moving. Except it's not just the walls, it's the floors. 

So... it's bigger on the inside.  

giphy.gif

^
One of the designers (?)... 
:P

So... it's bigger on the inside.  

giphy.gif

^
One of the designers (?)... 
:P

Yes indeed... I often find dimensional transcendentalism preposterous, but it works! :)

Are you forgetting that inconsistent decks is practically an Enterprise tradition?  In Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, the ship had at least 78 decks, with the deck numbers increasing as they went upward.  Not only that, but there appears to be a Deck 78 A and B since Kirk, Spock, and McCoy passed the decal twice :P

Edited by Captain_Bravo

I choose to forget the deck situation in Star Trek V.

"What does God need with a starship?"

"Well, it's a very roomy starship. I heard you recently expanded from 24 decks to 78 or more, so you've got room for a lodger."

"Well, it's a very roomy starship. I heard you recently expanded from 24 decks to 78 or more, so you've got room for a lodger."

Yes! The "God and starship" one! The 5th. THAT's the Trek movie I was thinking of but couldn't remember in my post (I can't tell the finer details apart, I'm sorry, I haven't watched a Trek movie in years), the one with the weird deck thing when they have these flying boots or something. Maybe the TNG folks were simply trying give a nod to that. :P 

Yes! The "God and starship" one! The 5th. THAT's the Trek movie I was thinking of but couldn't remember in my post (I can't tell the finer details apart, I'm sorry, I haven't watched a Trek movie in years), the one with the weird deck thing when they have these flying boots or something. Maybe the TNG folks were simply trying give a nod to that. :P 

Ah, yes!  The infamous "Deck 78" Enterprise-A of STV... that's the ship that also made it from the Neutral Zone to the center of the galaxy in two hours.  :giggle:

Ah, yes!  The infamous "Deck 78" Enterprise-A of STV... that's the ship that also made it from the Neutral Zone to the center of the galaxy in two hours.  :giggle:

The flying boots. Funny, isn't it, how we've neevr seen the flying boots in any other Star Trek film or episode since...? :biggrin: That's what "God" was actually was after. He wanted the flying boots, not the starship.

I enjoyed nemesis, by no means my favourite, on par with Generations, not as good as First Contact, better than Insurrection IMO.  I think it had pacing issues, but that's about my only problem with it.

I think John Logan (seen here with Stewart and Spiner during filming of the buggy scene) is a talented writer and to tell the truth I liked his script for NEMESIS, the bad thing is that all the good scenes (the Wesley cameo, Picard and Data toast, the arrival of the new first officer and so forth) ended in the cutting room, sadly. I put the blame of the failure of NEMESIS entirely on the director, Stuart Baird, who didnt understood the material, didnt care for Stra Trek and made some scenes dull and reduntand. If Frakes or even Bryan Singer (who cameos in the movie) have direcetd NEMESIS, we would end with a much better picture.

13908860_10210221673837478_5412421427053

Sign in to follow this