Sign in to follow this  
Nombrecomun

General DC Discussion

5 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

One of the actual positive aspects of it was not much of Margot Kidder (who wasn't the best Lois Lane, that I must say). Annette O'Toole's Lana Lang was a relief versus Kidder.

Yeah. She was stiff and I didn't much care for her in the role.

7 minutes ago, Rusty0918 said:

I remember seeing IV once when we recorded it off Pay Per View back in '87 but my parents didn't like it and taped over it. It wasn't until I got it in the DVD set that I found out firsthand just how much suck was in it. The special effects were laughably awful (ugh) and not to mention seeing the strings holding Superman up when he lands on the moon (which he uses to eclipse the sun to get rid of Nuclear Man). Can't blame the Razzies for nominating it for worst special effects, not to mention plot material ripped from the superior "Superman II."

No lie. Anybody can like whatever they like, but it's just awful.

Same with Connor Trineer being okay with TATV mainly because it revolved around Trip.

That said, I've seen that episode once and will never watch it again.

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Yeah. She was stiff and I didn't much care for her in the role.

No lie. Anybody can like whatever they like, but it's just awful.

Same with Connor Trineer being okay with TATV mainly because it revolved around Trip.

That said, I've seen that episode once and will never watch it again.

Or Walter Koenig liking "Spectre of the Gun," which was one of the many 3rd season TOS stinkers.

5 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I'll take 40 more minutes of that.

I actually don't hate III at all. There's some interesting stuff in there. The problem is Pryor and it's not even his fault. He acts capably and gives it his all, he's just seriously miscast.

Mostly this.  
I’m a HUGE fan of Pryor’s; used to listen to his records when my dad wasn’t home (hehe; it was our contraband in those days), but he was seriously miscast in S3.   However, that said?  I still hate the movie, too.  I don’t think any amount of recasting would’ve helped.   It lapses into a parody of a Superman movie, and that’s what I hate about it most.   It has none of the gravitas of the first and second movies. 

Richard Lester was just too stepped in comedy and music movies (“Hard Day’s Night”; the influence of TV’s “The Monkees”) to really do Supes justice. 

6 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Mostly this.  
I’m a HUGE fan of Pryor’s; used to listen to his records when my dad wasn’t home (hehe; it was our contraband in those days), but he was seriously miscast in S3.   However, that said?  I still hate the movie, too.  I don’t think any amount of recasting would’ve helped.   It lapses into a parody of a Superman movie, and that’s what I hate about it most.   It has none of the gravitas of the first and second movies. 

Richard Lester was just too stepped in comedy and music movies (“Hard Day’s Night”; the influence of TV’s “The Monkees”) to really do Supes justice. 

I think the whole Superman: "The Enemy Within" thread was a good idea.

There's not a lot else for the flick to offer, but I think that mostly works

SUPERMAN III and SUPERMAN IV THE QUEST FOR PEACE are just two of my guilty pleasures, because I loved Reeve so much in the role, still do.

He wrote and directed second unit in IV because he wanted  a serious, relevant Superman story after III.

But yeah you cant take those FX in SUPERMAN IV, seriously because Cannon cut the budget in half DURING filming. And you cant make a Superman movie for less than $15 million.

Still love IV, great "Silver Age Superman" moments in there and a beatiful Alexander Courage score !

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Mostly this.  

Yeah, I don't think Richard Lester style  fit too well. Funny, I think of one scene from the Lester version of "Superman II" when Superman comes back with groceries and stuff and we cut to what looks like it could be some cheesy looking loudspeaker sticking out somewhere in the Fortress of Solitude (it was really a communications dish in East Houston Idaho where a reporter was talking about Zod and company). I liked the good/bad fight in "Superman III" with the good Clark Kent vs the bad Superman, but there was a lot of that movie that was weak. Still though, as I say, guilty pleasure, though it should never have been made.

The Salkinds (who were behind Superman movies I-III, 1984's "Supergirl," and the "Superboy" TV series) have worked with Lester before, on the "Three Musketeers" and "The Four Musketeers," which is why they wanted him.

I have the extended TV Versions of SUPERMAN THE MOVIE (the 3 hour version), SUPERMAN II and SUPERMAN III and all are improvment over the theatrical versions. I even have the Japanese LD version of SUPERMAN IV that restores two scenes (Nuclear Man attacks on Smallville and Moscow - watch below these scenes from the 1988 Japanese Laserdisc) and love it. Of course I did transfer those old 1980s VHS to DVD-R  a while ago. Guilty pleasures indeed.

Gus

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:

Shocker ! WTF ???????

Gus

If this is true, I can’t say I’m displeased.   

I don't think it's a bad thing either. If they don't really have their own Feig to oversee all of this and make sure all the threads link up and it all makes sense, it's better to just let the films stand on their own than to slap this end on or to throw this scene in to try to make it all work.

If the movies are good, they'll make money because they're good. It's nice that Marvel does what Marvel does, but, seriously. Very few people are going to go see Captain Marvel to see how it all might tie into Avengers 4 or whatever the number is by then. It makes for cute bits of continuity.

But that's all any of it is to me: cute. My enjoyment doesn't and never will hinge on it.

But one of the reasonsI enjoyed MARVEL Studios movies so much is the continuity and respect of the comic books cronology - cant wait to see SHIELD and Nick Fury back in CAPTAIN MARVEL and so forth.

PS- Wait a minute, now Johns is saying its not like that at all for DC movies.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/dc_films/geoff-johns-now-says-that-the-dc-films-universe-is-100-connected-a154203

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

8 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Gal Gadot: Ratner is out of Wonder Woman or I am.

Welp, unless everybody at DC Studios has lost their mind, this is a super easy call.

Yeah, that’s like asking if you want the golden eggs or the fetid, 6 week-old omelet...  

And even if Hollywood hadn’t had this dramatic house-cleaning, it’s not as if Ratner was the kind of director a studio would really fight for; he’s regarded as little more than a lucky hack for the most part.

2 hours ago, GustavoLeao said:

Geeee ! Bye bye Ratner !

Gus

Even if there were no harassment allegations against him, he'd still be gone. If the golden goose is that adamant, contracts like his always have a pay you to go away clause in them.

Not that they'll need it now that he's outed.

Yeah, that’s like asking if you want the golden eggs or the fetid, 6 week-old omelet...  

And even if Hollywood hadn’t had this dramatic house-cleaning, it’s not as if Ratner was the kind of director a studio would really fight for; he’s regarded as little more than a lucky hack for the most part.

He's like Uwe Boll, except that he makes money.

Sign in to follow this