Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nombrecomun

General DC Discussion

2,971 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just saw a preview screening of Wonder Woman. (NO SPOILERS)

GOOD NEWS : The movie is way better than BATMAN VS S UPERMAN and both Gabot and Pine deliver good performances.

BAD NEWS : They tried to emulate Marvel Movies too much (jokes, one liners and so forth) copy some of CAPTAIN AMERICA FIRST AVENGER and failed.

THE VERDICT : Its a  good DC movie, but not great.If you dont care for super heroes movies, this will not change your mind. Good but not great. I think will do  some good box office. But hey, whatta hell I know ?

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Shorter:

Even DC trying to poorly rip Marvel produces a better movie than DC can manage on its own.

Deserves every bit of it.

Glad to hear about this being good. I doubt I'll see it in the cinema, but I'll happily watch it when it comes out on DVD or streaming.

Going to see it Sunday.  

WONDER WOMAN Director Patty Jenkins Is Under Contract To Return For A Potential Sequel; Plus Box Office  Update

At this point a Wonder Woman sequel is pretty much a given, but will director Patty Jenkins definitely return? While there are no guarantees, it has now been confirmed that she is under contract

Plus great news on the Box Office front !

I just came back from seeing it. I won't say any spoilers since it is so new, but I will say this movie did a great job. It was a great addition to this universe. It certainly didn't feel as bleak as the three DC movies before it.

I will say this - no after-credits scene.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, The Founder said:

I just came back from seeing it. I won't say any spoilers since it is so new, but I will say this movie did a great job. It was a great addition to this universe. It certainly didn't feel as bleak as the three DC movies before it.

I will say this - no after-credits scene.

giphy.gif

LOL!  We stayed till the very end too... felt kinda silly. 

tenor.gif

5 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

LOL!  We stayed till the very end too... felt kinda silly. 

tenor.gif

Hah. I got lucky cause one of the employees loudly yelled out during the mid-credits "If you're waiting for an after credits scene - there isn't one." :P:P:P

Just now, The Founder said:

Hah. I got lucky cause one of the employees loudly yelled out during the mid-credits "If you're waiting for an after credits scene - there isn't one." :P:P:P

Wish we had one of those around this afternoon...:laugh:

Posted (edited)

Vrey nice review there, Sehlat. As always, you nail it. 

Possible spoilers below...

Saw WW yesterday, and it is easily my most enjoyed DC movie in... how long? I liked the Nolan Batman trilogy well enough, but Adam West's recent sad passing made me realise how much I'd been pining for something more innocent, or at least, more fun. Something the MCU movies do really well is that tonal shift - they carry the humor all the way through, but if they need a dramatic moment, they can rise to it well. They sell you on the reality within the movies without intruding on your own awareness of your suspension of disbelief. 

By comparison the DC movie universe seemed portentous, overwrought and rife with the meddling of middle management worrying about the integrity of their intellectual property. No-one seemed to understand the spirit of the characters and just get it right, tell a story. I'd given up come Batman V Superman (still haven't seen it) so I missed Gal Gadot's debut as Wonder Woman. 

Seeing this movie hailed as a feminist tract of sorts is slightly amazing as I think superheroes inhabit a world (well, two universes mostly) of such grandiose lunacy that it's hard to even consider them modern mythology, but that's what they are, none more obviously than Wonder Woman who is, literally, a Greek Goddess. But I'm incredibly pleased that the success of this film has proved that a superhero movie starring a female lead will not only work but be a huge box office success. Really, duh? 

Did I enjoy it? Yeah, I loved it until about two-thirds of the way through, when it began to fall down a little under the weight of its own set-up. I really liked the WW1 setting and the obvious fun the movie makers had with it - the best parts of the movie are WW's origin story and her intro to the world of "men." Gal Gadot is an exquisite looking woman who brings to Diana a necessary charm and that old-style undefinable quality that is "screen presence." It's funny to see Chris Pine's Steve Trevor treated in places as an object of sexual curiosity, as all-too-often that's the way women get treated in these kinds of movies. Pine is great, effortlessly engaging and he equals Gadot's charm, without ever stealing limelight from her - it's hers, all the way through.

You can tell there's a woman behind the camera - Patty Jenkins' direction never ogles or objectifies the women onscreen, at the same time allowing their beauty (and some of those kwazy kostumes) to shine. I think employing her may have been the single best creative decision the DC execs made. She makes it all enormous fun, but neither does she shy away from the awfulness and catastrophe that is war, clouding many of her compositions with the ominous presence of gas attacks. The themes are there in the script, but its Jenkins who keeps their presence up visually throughout the latter half of the movie. 

Ares, and the final act, is a kind of different problem. Soon as I saw David Thewlis turn up, I guessed who he was (or would be) - but that's just me. This part of the story seemed to have Zack Snyder's paws all over it - lots of fairly indifferent action and CGI (quite ropey in places, no golden lasso puns intended) and less of what made the movie work in the first place, which is Gadot's luminescent charm and Jenkins' control of the visuals. They recover it, and it's fine, but I suspect there was more of a committee in charge of that whole end sequence.  I'd love to see what Jenkins would make if they kept her on less of a strict leash, becaus she's acquitted herself admirably here in terms of character and thematic coherency. Hey, DC? Just let her do it! I bet you let that hack Snyder have final cut. 

Is Wonder Woman a symbol for geek feminism in a way that I'll never understand, because I'm an aging white fanboy? I'm perfectly okay with that if it's true, because my daughter loved it and said it was "inspiring." Me, I'm so happy to walk into a movie theatre and get something from DC that's as much fun as this is, which manages those necessary tonal shifts without losing the sense of what it's about in the first place, or the spirit of the character. Thank the gods that Wonder Woman is back. 

Edited by Robin Bland

6 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I'd given up come Batman V Superman (still haven't seen it) so I missed Gal Gadot's debut as Wonder Woman. 

^ You didn’t miss much.  I prefer to think of WW as her proper debut.   Her intro in BvS wasn’t particularly inspiring, other than hearing her kick-ass wailing guitars’ theme for the first time...:punk::punk::punk:

8 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

It's funny to see Chris Pine's Steve Trevor treated in places as an object of sexual curiosity, as all-too-often that's the way women get treated in these kinds of movies. Pine is great, effortlessly engaging and he equals Gadot's charm, without ever stealing limelight from her - it's hers, all the way through.

^ I thought he was very game in allowing himself to be ‘the sex object’; it’s a tough job, but somebody’s got to do it...:P

I heard quite a few young girls in the audience giggling during the *ahem* bathing scene.:giggle:

9 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I think employing her may have been the single best creative decision the DC execs made.

^ Couldn’t agree more.  Especially after seeing Jenkins’ “Monster” a few years ago. 

10 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Ares, and the final act, is a kind of different problem. Soon as I saw David Thewlis turn up, I guessed who he was (or would be) - but that's just me. This part of the story seemed to have Zack Snyder's paws all over it - lots of fairly indifferent action and CGI (quite ropey in places, no golden lasso puns intended) and less of what made the movie work in the first place, which is Gadot's luminescent charm and Jenkins' control of the visuals. They recover it, and it's fine, but I suspect there was more of a committee in charge of that whole end sequence.

^ Prometheus kinda warned me about the final act, and I have to agree with you both; it was my least favorite part of the film, but luckily the sum of the whole is far greater than any one of its parts.   It felt like a more traditional (read: boring) superhero finale, with lots of CGI back-and-forth.   Luckily, it doesn’t sink the movie (at least for me, it didn’t; I was still glowing over the rest). 

11 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Is Wonder Woman a symbol for geek feminism in a way that I'll never understand, because I'm an aging white fanboy? I'm perfectly okay with that if it's true, because my daughter loved it and said it was "inspiring."

^ If it inspired the wee bairn, it did its job.   ;)

12 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Me, I'm so happy to walk into a movie theatre and get something from DC that's as much fun as this is, which manages those necessary tonal shifts without losing the sense of what it's about in the first place, or the spirit of the character. Thanks the gods that Wonder Woman is back. 

^  Personally, I was doubting it would even work today; I’m more than glad to have eaten my words with a side order of humble pie.   I wish they’d ditch plans for the Justice League movie and just make another WW movie right away...

14 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Vrey nice review there, Sehlat. As always, you nail it. 

^ You’re too kind.  Thanks so much. :happy:

Saw the movie yesterday. It was good. Not great. I think there's a lot of hype behind it because it's actually a good when compared to the other DC movies, excluding TDKT. I'll take an average Marvel movie over this one any day. 

If the rest of the DC movies achieve this quality then they'll be ok throughout their run. 

One quick pro: humour. Finally! 

One quick con: Gal Gadot. Damn, she is so beautiful it was distracting, you know? I kept getting pulled out of the movie thinking how gorgeous she was. Aside from that, she did a great job. The workouts paid off. She looked strong like WW is supposed to be. 

I also think they tackled the sexuality aspects of the film without making WW come out a slut or cheap, etc....

(SPOILER) 

I was kinda surprised they had the implied sex scene. Then again, it's the only way I'm blowing myself up!!! I mean, seriously, what else is there to live for?

Not a repeat view for me. Probably wouldn't be buying it on disc either. But good solid movie nevertheless. 

Glad you at least liked it.

Seen it twice now and may well threepeat.

Sorry, I thought Gadot was the perfect amount of beautiful :)

Will definitely own. It was the kind of film WW deserved.

Unlike Whedon's mess.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0