Sign in to follow this  
Nombrecomun

General DC Discussion

SHE wouldn't age of course.  But Steve Trevor could also be a MODERN soldier.  She could have time for Trevor in her solo movies.

..... "than just being WW's arm candy". 

You know, that wouldn't be a bad thing for a change. 

SHE wouldn't age of course.  But Steve Trevor could also be a MODERN soldier.  She could have time for Trevor in her solo movies.

It would just be boring, that's all.   A himbo is no more interesting than the generic 'girlfriend' role we typically see in these kinds of movies.   Peggy Carter, in the Marvel movies, is the perfect prototype for how to do Steve Trevor; witty, resourceful, clever, interesting, and (for two seasons, at least) able to have her own adventures. 

It would just be boring, that's all.   A himbo is no more interesting than the generic 'girlfriend' role we typically see in these kinds of movies.   Peggy Carter, in the Marvel movies, is the perfect prototype for how to do Steve Trevor; witty, resourceful, clever, interesting, and (for two seasons, at least) able to have her own adventures. 

True. I would hope he would be a "Carter arm candy". More of a fully fledged sidekick really. 

I think they are using WW1 because DC wanted  WONDER WOMAN to be their CAPTAIN AMERICA of sorts. And people who remember the Lynda Carter TV Show, remember her origin to take place during the WW2 in 1942 (the reason for her to leave Paradise Island, aka the war). Pine can play a descendant of Steve Trevor once the series shift to modern days, the same way Lyle Waggoner played "Steve Trevor Jr" in the TV Series.

13724821_10210087262957290_7881222026682

Or they could find some deus ex machina way to pull Trevor forward in time somehow; it would also serve to make him more interesting (giving him a 'man out of time' sub-story) rather than just being WW's arm candy. 

That is an interesting plot line, but does it make sense for that to happen when he's not the main character?

Steve Trevor, done right, would BE that character.  He's not a "gentleman in distress."  He's actually a badass in his own right.  Obviously, he's not on par with Wonder Woman, but he's human. 

I think they are using WW1 because DC wanted  WONDER WOMAN to be their CAPTAIN AMERICA of sorts. And people who remember the Lynda Carter TV Show, remember her origin to take place during the WW2 in 1942 (the reason for her to leave Paradise Island, aka the war). Pine can play a descendant of Steve Trevor once the series shift to modern days, the same way Lyle Waggoner played "Steve Trevor Jr" in the TV Series.

That would either be not accepted, a rip off, or a homage.  I don't know if they would go that route.

13724821_10210087262957290_7881222026682

I see no problem with Pine (someday, if the WW movie does well) playing his own great grandson. 

But it's creepy-as-all-hell that he would have a relationship with the same woman his great grandfather did (!!)....

giphy.gif

And regarding the change of setting from WW2 to WW1?  That might've been a creative choice to avoid too much identification with Captain America; which also had a WW2 origin story.  I could see DC choosing to wisely step out of the way.

And besides; WW1 is criminally forgotten in pop culture these days; it might be nice to see new audiences even acknowledge that there WAS a first world war...

Margot Robbie On Whether There's A Solo HARLEY QUINN Movie In Development

At a screening for Suicide Squad, Margot Robbie was asked where things stand on her rumored spin-off film, which is said to feature the Birds of Prey. Continue on for Robbie's brief but interesting reply. You gotta love this girl ! Cant wait to see this movie !

The Bairn wants to see Suicide Squad and WW. I've got no interest in Suicide Squad at all, but WW at least looks like it might be a laugh. It's the first DC movie in a long time which has made me think, "OK... That might be bearable." I didn't know Chris Pine was in it ''til I saw the trailer.  

The Bairn wants to see Suicide Squad and WW. I've got no interest in Suicide Squad at all, but WW at least looks like it might be a laugh. It's the first DC movie in a long time which has made me think, "OK... That might be bearable." I didn't know Chris Pine was in it ''til I saw the trailer.  

I had no interest in SS either and was fully expecting to let it slide, but now Mrs. Vie is excited by it (thanks a lot, Comic Con... :laugh: ). 

We saw the costumes used in the movie and it was being promoted all over the place, so now she wants to see it.   And yes, Wonder Woman's trailer did make me chuckle.  Nice to see DC's movie division finally activating their humor chip... :P

I had no interest in SS either and was fully expecting to let it slide, but now Mrs. Vie is excited by it (thanks a lot, Comic Con... :laugh: ). 

We saw the costumes used in the movie and it was being promoted all over the place, so now she wants to see it.   And yes, Wonder Woman's trailer did make me chuckle.  Nice to see DC's movie division finally activating their humor chip... :P

Damn yes! I know it's not what everyone goes for, but I like my superheroes with a sense of humor. All that po-faced "darkness" - enough of that in the real world, thanks!

kenman   

Damn yes! I know it's not what everyone goes for, but I like my superheroes with a sense of humor. All that po-faced "darkness" - enough of that in the real world, thanks!

What kills me is that even in our very serious world...it is rare to find any real situation which is dead serious and po-faced.  People, even in the most dire of situations, often tend to find the humor in life.  Not always, and I'm not saying everything needs to have jokes...but I mean...even in death there can be some levity amongst friends. It is how we survive!

Chris who ???

LOL.............just a little joke.

Gus

Chris who ???

LOL.............just a little joke.

Gus

To quote Spock in Trouble with Tribbles: "Extremely little, ensign..."  :P :laugh:

Just watched the Wonder Woman cartoon movie from 2009.  There is absolutely no way that the upcoming movie can be better than that cartoon.  It was about as perfect a Wonder Woman movie as you can get.  A live action version of this would need at least 30 more minutes to flesh out some plots, but this movie was terrific.

Well, not everyone is really interested in dramatic cartoons.

I'll pretty much take live action always, with few exceptions.

Some things just HAVE to be seen in live action... ;)

wonder-woman-lynda-carter-splash.jpgmutant.jpg

Some of the DC Universe animated movies are too good , too much ffun.

I highly recommend JUSTICE LEAGUE THE ENW FRONTIER, THE FLASHPOINT PARADOX, BATMAN BAD BLOOD and JUSTICE LEAGUE VS TEEN TITANS.

DC movies at it best, live action or not.

Gus

Maybe, but the STORY--the SCRIPT--could have made an amazing live action movie.  The new one cannot be better.

Maybe, but the STORY--the SCRIPT--could have made an amazing live action movie.  The new one cannot be better.

Absolute statements always beg for challenge; I'd rather see the new WW movie first before I reach that conclusion... 

Reposted my own reply from the "Last non ST movie you watched" thread; partly for relevance in this thread, and partly as a warning to any/all fans of Alan Moore's brilliant graphic novel, "The Killing Joke"...

Killingjoke.jpg

My wife and I just watched the new cartoon based on Alan Moore's classic 1988 Batman graphic novel, "The Killing Joke" (2016).
This was a study in mixed emotions; the first 30 minutes or so are a DISASTER.   I watched it thinking I'd literally picked up the wrong blu ray by mistake somehow.   The extended prologue had NOTHING TO DO with the graphic novel, its story, or even its TONE.   They added a bunch of junk with Batgirl and Batman in a weird, quasi-relationship, following her multiple botched attempts to stop a mob boss' ruthless nephew or some such garbage  (they leave no cliche unturned either... it's really badly written).   Honestly, the first 30 minutes are pure crap.   

Then it awkwardly and abruptly segues directly into the "Killing Joke" story, and is extremely faithful afterward; almost panel-for-panel specific (though the relatively lackluster Korean-produced animation doesn't begin to do justice to the graphic novel's amazing artwork).  

If you're a fan of the graphic novel?  Watch with caution.   In fact, skip over the first half hour and just pretend it doesn't happen, as it has almost ZERO relevance to the story.   All it does is pad out the running time from 40 minutes to 70.

I didn't get why they did that.  Is the story so short that it can't fill 70 minutes by itself?  They must have left stuff out to put that 30 minutes in.

In other news, Powerless, the DC office comedy about insurance companies that deal with the aftermath of superhero battles, lost its creator.  I kind of like the idea and will give it a chance, but I'm guessing this show may flop.  I guess we'll find out. 

Makes me think a bit and this can go in a DC or Marvel discussion, but in a world where superheroes are real, and aliens/supervillains routinely attack major cities, only to be thwarted by heroes, who would live in that city?

Why would someone invest in a business in Metropolis, when there is already a risk of Lex Luthor destroying it with a massive robot?

Or aliens could invade?

These buildings would be uninsurable because no insurance company would write the policy.  If that's the case, to get people to live there, rent values would go through the floor as would property values.  Who would want to own a big building that can't be insured?  The construction industry would boom, but how could a city like that even collect taxes?

I didn't get why they did that.  Is the story so short that it can't fill 70 minutes by itself?  They must have left stuff out to put that 30 minutes in.

In other news, Powerless, the DC office comedy about insurance companies that deal with the aftermath of superhero battles, lost its creator.  I kind of like the idea and will give it a chance, but I'm guessing this show may flop.  I guess we'll find out. 

Makes me think a bit and this can go in a DC or Marvel discussion, but in a world where superheroes are real, and aliens/supervillains routinely attack major cities, only to be thwarted by heroes, who would live in that city?

Why would someone invest in a business in Metropolis, when there is already a risk of Lex Luthor destroying it with a massive robot?

Or aliens could invade?

These buildings would be uninsurable because no insurance company would write the policy.  If that's the case, to get people to live there, rent values would go through the floor as would property values.  Who would want to own a big building that can't be insured?  The construction industry would boom, but how could a city like that even collect taxes?

I've often thought that and then I have to remind myself that I'm watching a cartoon....or a cartoon-like movie. 

"Killing Joke" (if you haven't read it, you should) is kind of thin.   Ideally, it should've ran about 40 min. or so.    But that first half hour of the animated version doesn't even feel connected to the later material.  

******** SPOILER ALERT!  "KILLING JOKE" ANIMATED FEATURE/GRAPHIC NOVEL ********

The graphic novel BEGINS with Batman going into the Joker's cell and discovering the importer.   That whole silly "Sex and the City" preamble with Batgirl 'seducing' Batman (which is really creepy, considering she's the daughter of his friend... ewww!) and her "Cliches 'R Us" gay BFF at the library were about as out of place with the rest of the material as "Bridget Jones' Diary" would be as a prologue to "The Exorcist." 

It's such a schizophrenic thing, because when the animated feature finally DOES shift into the "Killing Joke" story, it's actually quite faithful (and well-done; even if the animation is a tad lackluster compared to Moore's eerie visuals in the GN).  

It's like two separate Batman animated features smashed together at by the Hadron collider. 

Sign in to follow this