Mr.Picard

No Man's Sky

43 posts in this topic

I'm surprised there's no topic for this upcoming game, given how much of a Star Trek-ish feeling it gives me... ah well, I can always create one. :P 

Anyway... if you haven't heard about it, No Man's Sky is basically a game in which you can explore space. You can land on planets, participate in space battles if you wish (they are not exactly the focus of the game though, it's more about exploration), and either study cute furry animals on planets or scare and shoot them (but if you do that, robot thingies called Sentinels will show up and be very angry at you). The planets also have completely different atmosphere settings etc, so you might end up on one that requires for you to wear a helmet or you can land on one that allows you to breathe, there are all kinds of weather conditions, etc, etc. The possibilites are endless. Oh and if you're the first one who visits, you can name the planet you discovered. That adds a nice little bonus to the whole thing somehow. The game has a goal, I think it's to reach some kind of mega amazing place (I forgot, shame on me), but the goal isn't the thing here, the journey is. (Which is why I've probably forgotten what the goal is exactly. lol)

Basically, you can do whatever you want in space (within reasonable limits of course), but you do need to collect resources for yourself and your spaceship. It's a huge, huge, huge universe and the game is eagerly awaited by pretty much everyone, including, surprise, myself, who is not a fan of space alone but who DOES have a thing for exploration and open world games, and No Man's Sky is an open UNIVERSE kind of game. It takes things to a level that has never been there before. And it goes where no one has gone before. (I HAD to, I'm sorry.)

Here's a trailer. And here's a gameplay trailer. The game will be released on August 9 in the US and August 10 in Europe.

I'm not a gamer, but you got me curious enough to see the trailer.   First off, I got a chuckle out of hearing what sounded like "Blade Runner" star Rutger Hauer paying homage to his famous "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..." speech from BR.   That was cool.   But the visuals, particularly the fighter-ships and the 'walkers' reminded me a lot more of Star Wars than Star Trek.

At any rate, the "Blade Runner" homage gave me such a chuckle that if I were a gamer?  I'd probably check this out...

I'm not a gamer, but you got me curious enough to see the trailer.   First off, I got a chuckle out of hearing what sounded like "Blade Runner" star Rutger Hauer paying homage to his famous "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..." speech from BR.   That was cool.   But the visuals, particularly the fighter-ships and the 'walkers' reminded me a lot more of Star Wars than Star Trek.

At any rate, the "Blade Runner" homage gave me such a chuckle that if I were a gamer?  I'd probably check this out...

I didn't even know it's a Blade Runner reference, I've never seen Blade Runner.

It may LOOK more like Star Wars than Star Trek but it definitely has its focus on exploration. I watched videos in which they had guys playing the game for 45 minutes and there wasn't a single battle in sight - because they didn't look for it. If you want fights, you get fights in the game, no problem. Just  provoke the Sentinels and you get PEW PEW PEW. Involve yourself in a space battle, PEW PEW PEW. But you can also just choose to NOT provoke the Sentinels and you can follow the Prime Directive and ignore the space battle. It's all up to you, the player, and I love this aspect. Most Open World games operate within these guidelines these days, they will often let YOU choose what to do and how to accomplish your goal. No Man's Sky brings it all on a space level.

It may LOOK more like Star Wars than Star Trek but it definitely has its focus on exploration. I watched videos in which they had guys playing the game for 45 minutes and there wasn't a single battle in sight - because they didn't look for it. If you want fights, you get fights in the game, no problem. Just  provoke the Sentinels and you get PEW PEW PEW. Involve yourself in a space battle, PEW PEW PEW. But you can also just choose to NOT provoke the Sentinels and you can follow the Prime Directive and ignore the space battle. It's all up to you, the player, and I love this aspect. Most Open World games operate within these guidelines these days, they will often let YOU choose what to do and how to accomplish your goal. No Man's Sky brings it all on a space level.

You're right; its heart seems more "Star Trek" even if its visuals are more "Star Wars."  

But I am so very BAD at video games, it's tragic.  

e08278ded07567a1a85bd859f0688012.jpggiphy.gif

I get my a$$ handed to me even when I play with our Wii console; that's my level of awful.  It amazes me that I can drive a car and used to ride motorcycles (!) but I am so bad when it comes to the basic hand/eye coordination employed in video games.  

If I provoked the Sentinels, they would probably kill me through the TV screen somehow... :laugh:

You're right; its heart seems more "Star Trek" even if its visuals are more "Star Wars."  

I get my a$$ handed to me even when I play with our Wii console; that's my level of awful.  It amazes me that I can drive a car and used to ride motorcycles (!) but I am so bad when it comes to the basic hand/eye coordination employed in video games.  

If I provoked the Sentinels, they would probably kill me through the TV screen somehow... :laugh:

I wish you lived closer, I'd invite you over and teach it all to you, the simplest beginnings with my Game Boy, then the SNES, then the N64 and then the PS4 (we'd skip the Wii, meh). ;)

Honestly though I can't imagine No Man's Sky being very difficult to play. It isn't Dying Light (now THERE is a game... you have to parkour and balance over things on skyscrapers, it's my second favorite PS4 game EVER, but boooooy it's difficult at first, I almost gave up, you really need an hour to get the simplest moves right but once you do it looks absolutely flawless when you parkour through the city), I think the controls will be fairly simple, at least for a PS4 game. And its theme really does sound more like Trek than Wars. I'll let y'all know, if I end up not liking it, I'll rant a bit here. ;) 

The Wii annoyed me as well btw - it's really not a good console for someone who has problems with handling video games. I still refuse to play ANY of the games that want me to move around too much. Excuse me but no. I'm a gamer, not an athlete. :P

I wish you lived closer, I'd invite you over and teach it all to you, the simplest beginnings with my Game Boy, then the SNES, then the N64 and then the PS4 (we'd skip the Wii, meh). ;)

Honestly though I can't imagine No Man's Sky being very difficult to play. It isn't Dying Light (now THERE is a game... you have to parkour and balance over things on skyscrapers, it's my second favorite PS4 game EVER, but boooooy it's difficult at first, I almost gave up, you really need an hour to get the simplest moves right but once you do it looks absolutely flawless when you parkour through the city), I think the controls will be fairly simple, at least for a PS4 game. And its theme really does sound more like Trek than Wars. I'll let y'all know, if I end up not liking it, I'll rant a bit here. ;) 

The Wii annoyed me as well btw - it's really not a good console for someone who has problems with handling video games. I still refuse to play ANY of the games that want me to move around too much. Excuse me but no. I'm a gamer, not an athlete. :P

LOL!   I hear you.

My stationary exercise bike is about the upper limit of my physical training these days... that's what an old putz I've devolved into. :P

And yes, if we lived closer we'd have to invite you over for my homemade pasta dishes (I love making Italian food) and maybe binge watch some TNG on blu ray (you provide the audio commentary, of course...:laugh: ).

This game is on my must buy list come August.

LOL!   I hear you.

My stationary exercise bike is about the upper limit of my physical training these days... that's what an old putz I've devolved into. :P

And yes, if we lived closer we'd have to invite you over for my homemade pasta dishes (I love making Italian food) and maybe binge watch some TNG on blu ray (you provide the audio commentary, of course...:laugh: ).

And I love EATING Italian food. We're a perfect buddy match!

tumblr_o2f8snXE1C1udsgxbo1_500.gif

And yes, I'll gladly provide the audio commentary! :P

This game is on my must buy list come August.

Yay! I was hoping I'd find someone here who wants the game as much as I do! I was really sad when they had to change the release date from June to August - I want the game so badly!

i really do.  :)

I need something sci-fi to chill with until Mass Effect: Andromeda next year.

Me, too. :) 

It looks like the perfect game to chill... I also just want to walk through endless meadows on some planet and just enjoy things. It really looks like such a soothing game, although they did say that there might be predators and all on some planets, so, better carry that phaser rifle gun thingy, just in case. 

It looks like the perfect game to chill... I also just want to walk through endless meadows on some planet and just enjoy things. It really looks like such a soothing game, although they did say that there might be predators and all on some planets, so, better carry that phaser rifle gun thingy, just in case. 

That's a big draw. I don't mind the pew pew. I like casual shooters and I'm sure I'm probably going to engage in some interstellar piracy in No Man's Sky, :) but I think I'm going to love just spending a day or two exploring a planet and still being able to leave before having seen everything in it just as much.  

That's a big draw. I don't mind the pew pew. I like casual shooters and I'm sure I'm probably going to engage in some interstellar piracy in No Man's Sky, :) but I think I'm going to love just spending a day or two exploring a planet and still being able to leave before having seen everything in it just as much.  

I can relate! I just KNOW I won't be able to resist and I'll end up trolling some aliens on some planet and get the Sentinels treatment, haha! (I'm the type who never does what he's supposed to, in both video games AND in real life.)

The game was released here yesterday and it was also in my mailbox, yay! I played it for HOURS and it was just so... so... GORGEOUS. I named my first planet PICARD PRIME (ahahahaha) and its system is called Picard (I am so creative) and I spent hours walking around on Picard Prime, just exploring things and gathering stuff. It took me a while to figure out how to craft things and how to repair the suit, you have to do that constantly and also watch the life support system (I haven't come across a class M planet yet, I've always had to wear my suit and one of the planets even had toxic rain, yeah THANK you very much, ack)... I eventually got the hang of it and repaired my ship and even constructed the warp drive hyperdrive for my ship and went to another solar system, which I named Jean-Luc (I am still creative, totally). The toxic rain planet was the first I visited in that one, and I named it Maurice. (Very appropriate, given how toxic Maurice Picard was.) If I come across another planet with toxic weather in this system Imma name it Robert. (Can you tell I'm having fun with this planet naming thingy?)

Here's a screencap. I gave one of the planets an R rating because the creatures on it looked rather... well r-rated. To me and my dirty mind, anyway.

NoMansSky.thumb.png.b4b120a87a8b97d05dae

Also, note that the sentinels are PASSIVE on Picard Prime. I giggled at this. I'm so mature. :P

Now, the more technical things: The controls are easy enough to figure out, all I'm having problems with is the ship in space, it never does what I want and I keep crashing into asteroids (which is why I should never be at the helm of ANY starship, I can't even drive a car) but it's so much fun even in space. The music is amazing and I absolutely ADORE the space stations, simple design and yet so efficient. The only thing that can be viewed as a little tedious is having to walk so much - it's often just one or two minutes from one "interesting point" to the next on the planets, taking the spaceship really wouldn't make much sense AND besides, you need to collect stuff. Also, you have some REALLY limited storage capacity in your suit. I don't know if this will improve, I hope so, I'm SO into collecting ALL the things and I have having to leave nice things behind because "INVENTORY FULL".

My favorite thing so far is the ENGAGE button for the warp drive. It literally says ENGAGE and I sat there giggling for half a minute before I finally pushed it.

Anyways, in case you couldn't tell: I'm having a LOT of fun with this game already and it's only been one day. (My first course of action by the way was to alert the sentinels by accidentally shooting some creature thingy that got in the way of my aim when I tried out the mining beam of my fancy space weapon. It was REALLY an accident - I felt like Jean-Luc in "Galaxy's Child", I kept yelling "I'M SORRY, LIL GUY, FOR REAL" and yet the sentinels were all over me immediately. It's easy enough to run away from them, though, at least on Picard Prime... since they're passive and all I guess... ahahahaha. Never mind me.)

I'm not a gamer, but I have been hearing incessantly about this game for weeks from a coworker who was very hyped about it.  Looks like a neat game.  I'll never play it, because I never got past the Nintendo64 when it comes to gaming...but it does look like a neat game. 

I'm not a gamer, but I have been hearing incessantly about this game for weeks from a coworker who was very hyped about it.  Looks like a neat game.  I'll never play it, because I never got past the Nintendo64 when it comes to gaming...but it does look like a neat game. 

I'm actually the same. I'm an absolute retro gamer, it's downright annoying. The last console I bought before I made the (very well thought out) decision to get my first Playstation (4) was the Wii, and even that one was a stretch for me. I love my Game Boy and my SNES way too much. (The N64 as well, I love my Wave Race 64 sooooo much!) I also hate playing with others, I never do that, and I never add anyone on the PSN. I'm a total loner gaming-wise - No Man's Sky reflects that so much. People are complaining about its lack of a multiplayer function while I'm sitting here all like "why would you WANT that?!". I'll never understand the appeal of this kind of thing. What attracted me to the PS4 was the fact that you CAN be like that, you CAN play completely alone and also offline. You don't NEED to play with others, it isn't FORCED on you. It's perfect for Little Grumpy Retro Gamer Me.

And the whole retrogaming thing gets a place on the PS4 now, even. I recently read about them re-publishing and adding new levels to an old Sonic The Hedgehog game. In 2D, just like it used to be. Retro gaming is BIG these days. No one laughs at me anymore when I post about my Game Boy and my SNES. It has become "cool" somehow.

But yes, No Man's Sky was VERY much anticipated, your co-worker wasn't the only one who was very impatient for the game. Unfortunately, some people apparently misunderstood the premise of the game and thought it was some kind of multiplayer space action game where you have fleets and battle other people in space. (No one ever said it was that, none of the trailers made it look like that, but I guess some people simply took ít for granted that the game would be playable in this manner.) Those people are now rather disappointed.

NMS is a good 'waste time exploring and collecting stuff' game.  Even if the interface leaves something to be desired (on PS4 anyway; would be better with keyboard+mouse for me)

I've also been anticipating it since I read the preview in Game Informer magazine back in 2014.  It's been on my Steam wishlist and was just made available for download today.  This is the space exploration game that every Star Trek fan wanted.

Mr.Picard, I understand where you're coming from about not playing multi-player.  I have so much more fun playing Civilization V against the computer.  I get to play the game at MY convenience.  I don't need to coordinate a date and time for playing the game.  Are you going to participate in the No Man's Sky game plot?  Or just continue exploration?  The game plot involves a huge black hole at the center of the game map that's destroying everything.  Players have the opportunity to head there and try to fix it.

NMS is a good 'waste time exploring and collecting stuff' game.  Even if the interface leaves something to be desired (on PS4 anyway; would be better with keyboard+mouse for me)

It took me longer than it should have to figure out the controls and how to craft things, etc. (and it can't just be me, I'm usually quick to catch on, given how many games I've played in my life, haha) So I agree with this, the interface is a little... unfortunate sometimes. And complicated, too. Who knows though, they might decide to fix some of it. The game has just come out, it'll be fleshed out some more, I'm sure of that.

I love wasting time by collecting things so this is totally the perfect game for me. ;) 

I've also been anticipating it since I read the preview in Game Informer magazine back in 2014.  It's been on my Steam wishlist and was just made available for download today.  This is the space exploration game that every Star Trek fan wanted.

Mr.Picard, I understand where you're coming from about not playing multi-player.  I have so much more fun playing Civilization V against the computer.  I get to play the game at MY convenience.  I don't need to coordinate a date and time for playing the game.  Are you going to participate in the No Man's Sky game plot?  Or just continue exploration?  The game plot involves a huge black hole at the center of the game map that's destroying everything.  Players have the opportunity to head there and try to fix it.

I think I'll stick to the exploration part, at least for now. I've seen a different kind of plot where you create your own galaxy at the end of the game or something. That might be interesting to me, but I'm really not in a hurry to get anywhere. I love exploring all those planets way too much at the moment. It's such a soothing game for the most part, I'm the type who hates it when a game tries to rush you into playing its plot or even forces you to do it by not allowing you to do this or that or go here or there (which is why I'm a huge fan of open world games, they do have limits for you sometimes but for the most part you can just drive or walk around no matter where you are at in the main story campaign). No Man's Sky doesn't force me to go anywhere, it just tells me there MIGHT be something interesting, I'm free to explore and I really love that.

It took me longer than it should have to figure out the controls and how to craft things, etc. (and it can't just be me, I'm usually quick to catch on, given how many games I've played in my life, haha) 

It's not. It's just a little more convoluted than it needs to be.

And I've been gaming since the Atari 2600. 

It took me longer than it should have to figure out the controls and how to craft things, etc. (and it can't just be me, I'm usually quick to catch on, given how many games I've played in my life, haha) 

It's not. It's just a little more convoluted than it needs to be.

And I've been gaming since the Atari 2600. 

I'm relieved it isn't just me, I was worried I was getting too old for gaming...! Crafting items is always complicated, in any game, but No Man's Sky really takes the cake. "You need this item. Okay, construct the ingredients. And then construct the ingredients for the ingredients. And somehow please maintain enough space in your bag for other stuff you might need. Oh and your starship with the slightly bigger storage space is out of range even when you're standing a few meters away from it."

It's the Tetris concept of trying to fit things into a small space all over again, taken to a new extreme. :laugh: 

It harkens back to ye olde days when a good chunk of the wasted time in game was spent playing inventory management or inventory Tetris. 

It's interesting stylistically to bring it back; but for sentinels sake can we have the tradegood items stack without having to do some convoluted crap to exploit them into a stack via crafting?  If i can hold 250 units of Plutonium in one slot why can't i have 2 Geknip or 2 GrahGrah in one slot?

That change alone would make things somewhat easier

I would also like better autolock targetting.  While I Suck(tm) at first person shooter style gameplay; it should NOT be so hard to keep targetted on a spidercrab thing that is trying to gnaw my ankles so I can pump it full of boltcaster bolts.  Sentinels being harder to hit I get; but not the anklebiter annoyances.

I had to restart my game - had the preorder bug where I got the preorder ship and could not get the hyperdrive recipe.  Was only ~5hrs of learning in; so the reset didnt harm me really.  Besides - i wound up restarting on a less annoying graphically planet.   (First one was snowy red-white with tons of flora; which makes for hard to spot waypoints etc).  My 2nd planet was Marslike; but no snow.  Somewhat easier to spot waypoints and i dont have forests of mutant tree things everywhere.  Doesnt hurt that I found a drop pod right away; and found abundant Emeril and Gold resources.  Was able to mine enough to fly to the system spacestation and go from starter ship to a 23 slot one for 1.2m units.  And did i mention that Plutonium is prevelent on my starter world AND is one of the in demand items insystem?  I have more mining and moneymaking to do :)

It harkens back to ye olde days when a good chunk of the wasted time in game was spent playing inventory management or inventory Tetris. 

It's interesting stylistically to bring it back; but for sentinels sake can we have the tradegood items stack without having to do some convoluted crap to exploit them into a stack via crafting?  If i can hold 250 units of Plutonium in one slot why can't i have 2 Geknip or 2 GrahGrah in one slot?

I would also like better autolock targetting.  While I Suck(tm) at first person shooter style gameplay; it should NOT be so hard to keep targetted on a spidercrab thing that is trying to gnaw my ankles so I can pump it full of boltcaster bolts.  Sentinels being harder to hit I get; but not the anklebiter annoyances.

I had to restart my game - had the preorder bug where I got the preorder ship and could not get the hyperdrive recipe.  Was only ~5hrs of learning in; so the reset didnt harm me really.  Besides - i wound up restarting on a less annoying graphically planet.   (First one was snowy red-white with tons of flora; which makes for hard to spot waypoints etc).  My 2nd planet was Marslike; but no snow.  Somewhat easier to spot waypoints and i dont have forests of mutant tree things everywhere.  Doesnt hurt that I found a drop pod right away; and found abundant Emeril and Gold resources.  Was able to mine enough to fly to the system spacestation and go from starter ship to a 23 slot one for 1.2m units.  And did i mention that Plutonium is prevelent on my starter world AND is one of the in demand items insystem?  I have more mining and moneymaking to do :)

I support the idea of having more than one slot for all these valuable dagger thingies and all. They clutter everything up so fast!

I also pre-ordered the game and I got an e-mail with the code for the ship... and then I read about the bug and decided "no way am I gonna do something that messes up my game". I already bought myself a nice new shiny ship so I guess I'm doing okay even without the bonus ship.

I got engaged, even. lmao what is this game People had told me about this in advance, though, so I had been sufficiently warned, haha.

I'm used to first person shooting games (they're the main ones I play) so I'm not having that much difficulty with aiming on the planets, but I'm really having a hard time with the space battles... (shows how many space games I play usually... none) a good autolock option would be nice indeed!

Not mine; but wish it was lol

eUORaWt3a_oTePO_PSGRGvp-JQjHJAspUPoXg7gDGRE.jpg

I support the idea of having more than one slot for all these valuable dagger thingies and all. They clutter everything up so fast!

I also pre-ordered the game and I got an e-mail with the code for the ship... and then I read about the bug and decided "no way am I gonna do something that messes up my game". I already bought myself a nice new shiny ship so I guess I'm doing okay even without the bonus ship.

I got engaged, even. lmao what is this game People had told me about this in advance, though, so I had been sufficiently warned, haha.

I'm used to first person shooting games (they're the main ones I play) so I'm not having that much difficulty with aiming on the planets, but I'm really having a hard time with the space battles... (shows how many space games I play usually... none) a good autolock option would be nice indeed!

At this point, while I'm happy to find those expensive daggers and such, for money I'm just farming Iron and Plutonium and selling the Bypass Chips. They sell well for the  insanely easy they are to make.

And you'd need autolock slightly less if the ships were a little more stable themselves. 

At this point, while I'm happy to find those expensive daggers and such, for money I'm just farming Iron and Plutonium and selling the Bypass Chips. They sell well for the  insanely easy they are to make.

And you'd need autolock slightly less if the ships were a little more stable themselves. 

Oh that's a great tip, I'll try that as well, thanks! I see so many shiny ships that I want but I never have enough money, haha! I'm doing all the scanning and planet exploration and whatnot and I upload it all and you do get money from that, but I need something else. That chip thing sounds like a perfect addition. Heh.

Now all I need is more of these galactic trade interface thingies. There really aren't enough of them on most planets.