Sign in to follow this  
Nombrecomun

DOSBox: Reducing Cycles

Hi all! Hoping someone can help me with a gaming PC problem. There's a bug in a game I'm playing which calls for "reducing cycles". I have no idea what this means or how to do it. 

More background:

The game is B-Wing, old PC game made for DOS environment. Online I've been reading that due to computers being much faster than what these games were designed for some elements of the game don't work well and you have to virtually "slow down" the computer. Here's a description on what I'm supposed to do to fix the problem:

"I lowered my cycle rate from Max to 25000. The tugs docked with the B-Wings and the whole group hyper-spaced and completed their mission! Thanks! But... The Corvette never showed up even after the mission clock ran out, causing me to fail...- I later turned my cycle rate to 30000 like you suggested and the Corvette showed up 5 minutes into the mission and I completed the mission. Finally! THANKS <3"

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

scenario   

Once you have mounted the game but before you start the game you can type in cycles=fixed 5000,    (change 5000 to whatever works.)

in the dosbox command line. This tells the computer to emulate a much slower processor. Try 30000 first. Then adjust it faster or slower until you get what you want.  

If you want to temporarily speed up the game hold alt f10 down at the same time. This is useful if you have to wait for something. 

I think this will work. I got this from https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Configuration:CPU.  The page makes more sense if you've used dos before. 

Sign in to follow this