Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

Justin Lin to Direct Live-Action AKIRA ?

4 posts in this topic

Maybe. Just watch this new video from Meet the Movie Press at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwJQMje0dj8

AKIRA Is one of my favorite anime movies from the 80s. I hope a live action version does justice to the original anime, like the recent Japanese live-action versions of SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO and GATCHAMAN

.13508949_10209791506843572_2970048408045

Gus

To be honest, if he were not directing ST Beyond?  I probably would've never heard of Justin Lin.   I've only sat through one "Fast & Furious" movie (the first one) and I absolutely HATED it, so I wasn't exactly jumping through hoops to see a sequel (let alone the ones Lin directed).

But some people involved in ST came from very unusual backgrounds; Roddenberry himself came from westerns and police procedurals (not my favorite genres).  Rick Berman came from Big Blue Marble (an award-winning PBS educational series).  Nick Meyer was a lover of Victorian-era period pieces (his Sherlock Holmes book/movie "Seven Percent Solution" and the charming 1979 HG Wells time-travel fantasy, "Time After Time").   Harve Bennett came from "Mod Squad" and "The Six Million Dollar Man" (among many others).   This is why I'm not quick to dismiss him as a potential science fiction filmmaker, either.  

Maybe a director of macho racing fantasies (of which I have ZERO interest) would be a perfect fit for "Akira" (which was a very interesting movie; saw it with my wife about 14 years ago).   Akira does have a heavy technological bent to it (the motorcycles and "Blade Runner"-ish, noir future), and it IS science fiction, so who knows?  The new ST director could fit this gig like a glove.

I think Lin is being really cool with Beyond and all Trek fans in general. I'm literally starting to like him. He's so humble, Abrams was just the opposite of everything Lin is. Lin said Trek had a huge impact on his life. Abrams said that he never liked it. Lin could've just got the job and done anything with it. Paramount would like the explosions. But he honestly seems to be caring about the movie. He fought against the people suing Axanar ( wich is, independently of the result, a good intended act of respect towards fans ), he apologized for the first trailer ( wich he totally didn't had to, I mean, he's not anyone, he's Justin Lin, he's already famous for FaF, he could just stay quiet ) and he made and entire event to make up for the fans. He won my trust so far certaly a lot more than Abrams anyway. 

Here's the Japanese trailer for the new re-relase of AKIRA on Blu-Ray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es5EMBb1OnU

And here's an awesome clip of the live action YAMATO (STAR BLAZERS) movie from 2010, which in my opinion it captured the anime series feel with class - cjeck it out. The movie is available in the US on DVD and Blu-Ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4phT2Vukvn0

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0