Robin Bland

Bryan Fuller - News on the New Show

207 posts in this topic

When will we know more about the cast and characters plus paramount is pretty silent about realising news about the show.

The fact that there are two admirals as main characters does not concern me. It suggests that the show will have a broader scope than past series that revolved around 7 crew members (Captain, No 1, Doctor, Engineer, tactical, helmsman, etc). It means that the narrative force will not be centered on the bridge of one ship, but there will be wider stakes. This show will be political as much as it is about exploration. Nick Myers tipped us of as much when he said that TUC is a major inspiration. 

The idea that admirals are boring, or mere desk-sitters is so TMP. Given good writing, they could be drivers of high drama. The fact that we know the lead character will not be a captain but a commander, and two characters will be admirals, and one will be a Klingon captain, and there has been no mention of the ACTUAL captain of the starship Discovery all tells us that DCS will not be business as usual. This will be a unique Trek narrative.     

Nope. I am done.

You're not even interested to the point that you won't even watch? Is it that you are completely bored by the idea to Trek, or you are bitter? Im curious. Don't get me wrong, Im bitter as hell about what's happened since 1999 and even earlier. But I don't project that onto the new writers of DSC. If they turn out to be the same old hacks, I will be the first to rip into them. But for once I am hopeful. I'm just curious how the old fandom will react.  

I am just bored. The last STAR TREK I loved was FIRST CONTACT and DS9 and thats was 20 years ago. I have move on, quit TrekWeb editorial (and the site went offline), blah blah blah. My interest these days are pretty much sci-fi anime and Japanese movies, comic book movies and TV Series and so forth. Lots of good things out there. STAR TREK prequels as produced by JJ Abrams and Akiva Goldsman (!!!) just not interest me anymore. I am not bitter. I know that there is a  lot of new fans and the the new movies are blocbusters movies and I am glad that people enjoy them and its still a sucess after 50 years. I am just done, which I realized after seeing STAR TEK BEYOND. It was fun, nevertheless, and it was a big part of my life.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

I am just bored. The last STAR TREK I loved was FIRST CONTACT and DS9 and thats was 20 years ago. I have move on, quit TrekWeb editorial (and the site went offline), blah blah blah. My interest these days are pretty much sci-fi anime and Japanese movies, comic book movies and TV Series and so forth. Lots of good things out there. STAR TREK prequels as produced by JJ Abrams and Akiva Goldsman (!!!) just not interest me anymore. I am not bitter. I know that there is a  lot of new fans and the the new movies are blocbusters movies and I am glad that people enjoy them and its still a sucess after 50 years. I am just done, which I realized after seeing STAR TEK BEYOND. It was fun, nevertheless, and it was a big part of my life.

Gus

Goldsman is a possible concern. :( Anyway, the studio does seem to be balking and now caving in. I am not sure if they will go through with this series, given that the ads made some money, but the diehard fans will be the only fanbase, if they do a prequel. Like I said else,where, I have an idea, don't make it a prequel! Go with the 2390s and set it after Nemesis by about 15 years. They likely will not do this.

The new Arrival movie was actually better Star Trek than a lot of the movies were. :)

Definitely no more Fuller then

http://io9.gizmodo.com/bryan-fuller-makes-it-very-clear-that-hes-no-longer-inv-1789612446

probably deserves its own thread

Well, this is a bit disappointing, but the reason is clear and pretty unassailable; he wants to give his primary series his full attention.   At any rate, if Nicholas Meyer is still aboard in an advisory capacity?  I'm still very curious to see what this new series has to offer (not to mention the fact that Fuller seemed to have set the course before he left).