Robin Bland

Bryan Fuller - News on the New Show

207 posts in this topic

The subject tagline here might be better said, 'Bryan Fuller, Rumors about the New Show'. The subject makes it sound like someone actually knows what the show is going to be about and has interviewed Bryan Fuller, which they certainly have not. You can find stuff where people have asked him out there on the next, and he's not talking details.

How does one of the posters know Ron Moore was even asked? I suspect like many others, he is just guessing. Is there a link to Moore's actual page?

Moore (likely) wanted his own vision for a series, as did others, and it would have been too dark, from what I've found on the net, and his love of darker stories like his BSG reboot. We do not need a series with a Federation cast in ruin and a ragged crew struggling to survive, in a post Sept. 11 world allegory. Dystopia is getting old and cliched, in many opinions, and the new show needs to be fun and fresh.

Fuller will likely do a fine job. On Voyager he was a writer, not a producer. The writer is one of the positions at the studio, but it is nowhere near producer.

Top level, executive producer. producer, director...

Farther down, chief editor, editor, script coordinator, head writer, writers...

Fuller has gone on to become a producer, as did Moore. He had to get there though. His early work is not a problem. It shows he grew into it. He eventually was good enough to go from writer to editor and then on to direct and produce.

Trek is not a zombie, but it had Borg.

Heroes started to fester after season 3.

I started the thread with two links to actual quotes from Fuller about the new show. That qualifies as news, or at least items of interest. You're free to start your own regarding any rumors you may hear or want to discuss. This is not a news blog, it's a discussion forum, with a relatively flexible remit, which is why I hang around here. I like the people. Generally.

"One of the posters" - me - stated that Ron Moore was on a list of people CBS approached to run the new show, but he demurred due to his commitment to Outlander. I qualified that with a further statement as to my source, and I'm really not at liberty to reveal who that is. I even characterized it as "hearsay, albeit on good authority." Seeing as I post here anonymously, you're entirely free to disregard as you see fit, but I thought I'd already made that obvious. That info is rumor, maybe, but it depends on how you view my past posting history I guess, and how reliable (or not) you think I may be. You'd be amazed at what I keep to myself, I'm sure, but that relatively innocuous piece of information shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who follows these developments in production and I thought it'd be of interest to regulars on this forum. I should be careful to restrict myself to confirmed news reports in future.

The subject tagline here might be better said, 'Bryan Fuller, Rumors about the New Show'. The subject makes it sound like someone actually knows what the show is going to be about and has interviewed Bryan Fuller, which they certainly have not. You can find stuff where people have asked him out there on the next, and he's not talking details.

How does one of the posters know Ron Moore was even asked? I suspect like many others, he is just guessing. Is there a link to Moore's actual page?

Moore (likely) wanted his own vision for a series, as did others, and it would have been too dark, from what I've found on the net, and his love of darker stories like his BSG reboot. We do not need a series with a Federation cast in ruin and a ragged crew struggling to survive, in a post Sept. 11 world allegory. Dystopia is getting old and cliched, in many opinions, and the new show needs to be fun and fresh.

Fuller will likely do a fine job. On Voyager he was a writer, not a producer. The writer is one of the positions at the studio, but it is nowhere near producer.

Top level, executive producer. producer, director...

Farther down, chief editor, editor, script coordinator, head writer, writers...

Fuller has gone on to become a producer, as did Moore. He had to get there though. His early work is not a problem. It shows he grew into it. He eventually was good enough to go from writer to editor and then on to direct and produce.

Trek is not a zombie, but it had Borg.

Heroes started to fester after season 3.

I started the thread with two links to actual quotes from Fuller about the new show. That qualifies as news, or at least items of interest. You're free to start your own regarding any rumors you may hear or want to discuss. This is not a news blog, it's a discussion forum, with a relatively flexible remit, which is why I hang around here. I like the people. Generally.

"One of the posters" - me - stated that Ron Moore was on a list of people CBS approached to run the new show, but he demurred due to his commitment to Outlander. I qualified that with a further statement as to my source, and I'm really not at liberty to reveal who that is. I even characterized it as "hearsay, albeit on good authority." Seeing as I post here anonymously, you're entirely free to disregard as you see fit, but I thought I'd already made that obvious. That info is rumor, maybe, but it depends on how you view my past posting history I guess, and how reliable (or not) you think I may be. You'd be amazed at what I keep to myself, I'm sure, but that relatively innocuous piece of information shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who follows these developments in production and I thought it'd be of interest to regulars on this forum. I should be careful to restrict myself to confirmed news reports in future.

You did say you had an insider source; and that source is anonymous.  And it was characterized as rumor/hearsay.   There's no issue here.  :)

You did say you had an insider source; and that source is anonymous.  And it was characterized as rumor/hearsay.   There's no issue here.  :)

I have a confession....

t8fvGV.gif

I am the source!

:P

I have a confession....

t8fvGV.gif

I am the source!

I like you guys.

I have a confession....

t8fvGV.gif

I am the source!

knew-it.gif

BTW, I hid Jimmy Hoffa's body.  And I was at the grassy knoll in Dallas, 1963; holding an umbrella over the Cigarette-Smoking Man's head...:P

latest?cb=20150424091417&path-prefix=de

I told you all you have to know. The truth is out there!

latest?cb=20150424091417&path-prefix=de

I told you all you have to know. The truth is out there!

tumblr_m6ponaDw8w1qcpnc9o1_500.gif

Did you take care of that alien, Sim? :P

BOT: There is a ST 50th anniversary panel at Comic Con in the infamously-hard-to-get-into Hall H.   Lines often begin the previous day (!).   Without making any promises, I'm going to try to get into this panel.   Guests include William Shatner, Jeri Ryan and... Bryan Fuller; who's expected to leak some details about the new series!   Again, I'm going to try to make this panel (it's ST's 50th... I have to try, right?).  

If I fail however, a word of consolation:  the Hall H panels from Comic Con usually up on Youtube the following day.  That's how I 'attended' the huge, Hall H Star Wars Force Awakens panel last year... from the comfort of our hotel room at 5 am the next morning (hehe).   So, as a safety net, there's that option.   But I really want to attend this thing LIVE.

Your 'source' has vetted too quickly. Ha. Even so, no worries. I am not a mod, so you may keep the forum thread. It was only a suggestion.

As for the off handed Moore paraphrase I found on another site, it was also a rumor and not likely accurate.

io9 is a similar Star Trek rumor site. Oh well.

Your 'source' has vetted too quickly. Ha. Even so, no worries. I am not a mod, so you may keep the forum thread. It was only a suggestion.

As for the off handed Moore paraphrase I found on another site, it was also a rumor and not likely accurate.

My 'source' is a professional media person with whom I've worked for many years and I whose word I trust, but s/he has no direct input into the new Star Trek show and I never implied that s/he did.

My earlier post was intended as clarification and, while I will always support and help to maintain the amicable atmosphere of this board for all, in no way should it be considered an apology. Nor am I looking for your blessing or input into what to name threads I begin. However, if you want to think that things I write are solely for your benefit, I would recommend that you read them in a voice that is dripping with sarcasm.

My 'source' is a professional media person with whom I've worked for many years and I whose word I trust, but s/he has no direct input into the new Star Trek show and I never implied that s/he did.

My earlier post was intended as clarification and, while I will always support and help to maintain the amicable atmosphere of this board for all, in no way should it be considered an apology. Nor am I looking for your blessing or input into what to name threads I begin. However, if you want to think that things I write are solely for your benefit, I would recommend that you read them in a voice that is dripping with sarcasm.

Sometimes, for fun, I'll occasionally read posts in the voice of Mel Blanc's Twiki from Buck Rogers.   :laugh:

tumblr_mw6ditsTTk1qbcq3wo1_400.gif

"Biddi-biddi-biddi  Groovy, Buck!"  :P

Robin has a good point; the thread began with actual news items (io9 is a legitimate source); and it was only further into the thread was when he revealed other related rumors from a source, and they were characterized as such.  Rumors.    Take them as you will, but let's not attack the messenger. 

To me, this is just... well, this metaphor comes to mind 

v

WTDnnwE.gif

HA! :laugh:

Thanks, Sehlat. Twiki's "Biddi-biddi-biddi" does it, man. Mel Blanc - what a genius.

Reading some posts in a Minnie Mouse voice, very highly-pitched, also works for me.

I'm not in the business of bigging myself up. It's not why I come here. I'm not fond of rumormongers or people who loudly bray the latest spoilers. But if I hear something cool, and it's relatively harmless to say it, I'll say it because (again), this is a great board. And this is just a little thread discussing, sharing and speculating upon such stuff about the new show. It's not a news station. No big deal. :)

PS For what it's worth, io9 seems legit to me. They publish all manner of essays, news, rumors, general critical stuff and there's not only genre pieces but a lot of warmth for cool tech, science and cosmological stuff there too. But I think they trust their readers to know the difference between them all.

^
And I read io9 all the time (have them bookmarked); they seem as legit as any scifi movie/TV rumor site, really.   They cover all kinds of stuff; not just science fiction.   I've quoted them many times myself.   

PS:  And yes, a Minnie Mouse voice works well too... although sometimes I get a headache from laughter.  :laugh:

I just want to say... after this week... if Fuller cannot figure out how to make this Star Trek about the social issues facing us today, I won't have any patience for it. 

And if they pull what VOY and ENT did, pseudo debating the morality of vegetarianism, hunting and HMOs, I will not even have the energy to complain. 

The HMO episode was actually quite relevant when it aired.

The HMO episode was actually quite relevant when it aired.

True, I suppose, but you get my point. It seemed like Trek TV was always searching for some hot edgy issue to capture the mantel of 60s Trek social relevance, and failing miserably. 

The '00s were actually chock full of social relevance, but it was difficult at the time for pop culture, TV in particular, to figure out how to reflect or express or explore, let along question, those issues. It was such a polarizing time, and the entertainment industry is such a risk-adverse business, it's understandable though unfortunate that Trek could not find its voice during the VOY--ENT era. (Still amazing to me that DS9 made serious commentary in the 90s on all of the issues that would prove to be so hot in the '00s.)

But today, I feel like we know what the issues are (globalization integration, cultural integration, immigration, gender, religion, radicalism, economics). We also know where the lines are where people stand. And it does not seem like it would be too hard for a TV writer, and therefore a TV show, to take a firm stand on those issues in the context of a sic-fi drama. I hope Fuller will do this.  

There should be details released on the new show tomorrow at Comic Con!  Here's hoping we get some good tidbits!  As I am seeing Beyond tomorrow night, looking forward to a very Trek-like Day!

Sounds like a steady TV director, I can't say I know his work...but I am sure he will do fine. 

I've seen "The Man In The High Castle" (amazing series btw), it's some fine work from actors AND directors, I liked the pilot episode a LOT, and it seems he directed that one. So I can only say "don't worry about the director, he can do his job". Of course, Trek is a different thing, but in general the guy seems to know what he's doing.

Sounds like a steady TV director, I can't say I know his work...but I am sure he will do fine. 

I've seen "The Man In The High Castle" (amazing series btw), it's some fine work from actors AND directors, I liked the pilot episode a LOT, and it seems he directed that one. So I can only say "don't worry about the director, he can do his job". Of course, Trek is a different thing, but in general the guy seems to know what he's doing.

Yeah, I saw The Man in the High Castle too. It's terrific. Good choice of director, I'd say. 

I am not worried, a pretty visually interesting film director is the producing director whonis going to be helping create the look of the new series, we have a steady TV director helping set the tone, we have creative and smart people behind the scenes on every level for this thing! 

If nothing else, I think it will look good!

I am not worried, a pretty visually interesting film director is the producing director whonis going to be helping create the look of the new series, we have a steady TV director helping set the tone, we have creative and smart people behind the scenes on every level for this thing! 

If nothing else, I think it will look good!

And, as Billy Crystal's "Fernando" from SNL reminds us...

82b113177ba2fa7e26fcc3324ffe448f.jpg :P

I'm the third to join the choir of "Man in the High Caste" fans, and agree, the pilot was fine ... nothing about it made me think the director doesn't know what he's doing.

Can't say I'm expert enough to be able to judge how much of that pilot's success was due to the director and how much to other people involved, but certainly, that director knows his job.

Well often a pilot and its director set the tone and look of the show. There are a lot of factors that go into it, obviously, but he plays a major early role in the design and pacing and style. Usually.