Robin Bland

Bryan Fuller - News on the New Show

207 posts in this topic

On the negative impressions. I don't like that he said star ships are being modeled on sports cars. In my (albeit TOS-film era) opinion, Star Fleet is the Chris Craft of science-fiction--and Im borrowing that phrase from a designer who worked on the TOS film Enterprise designs. Star Fleet is not supposed to be sexy. It's supposed to be majestic, regal, even WASPy. 

Since when?

The Ent-E was very sleek looking (the swept back look was far sportier and much 'sexier' than the bloated Ent-D).  Voyager also had a far sportier look than the original 1701 from the 1960s.   The Defiant was a tough little 'sports car' of a ship.   Compact and tough.  

I reject the notion that a starship has to fit in such narrow parameters.  It doesn't have to be 'regal' or WASPy; that's sounds kind of like "my Star Trek or no Star Trek."   ST is many things to many people. 

Speaking of WASPy, here is another small quibble. Fuller used the term "color blind and gender blind" to describe the progressive potential he might bring to the show. I have no doubt Trek will finally get LGBT expression, now that almost allll TV shows do. But--and I know this may come off as politically correct--the term "color blind" is so 1990s. These days, white men--and I say this as a white man--should say: "As a white man, I understand that I have benefited from so much privilege that others, who have made it half as far as I, have had to fight tooth and nail to achieve." The prospect of a white man in a position to write for minority characters and hire minority actors for Star Trek, and who says he is "color blind" is unsettling. Fuller could just as easily turn out to be the executive producer, so common in Hollywood, who says "Im not obligated to put people of color or LGBT on our show because we're color and gender blind and there is no difference one way or the other." I know he did not mean it this way. He was probably saying the opposite. But the fact that he used the term "color blind" strikes me as culturally incompetent. It's a red flag. Only his actions going forward will make me feel more comfortable.    

^
I disagree; there's nothing dated about the term 'colorblind' since we don't yet live in a post-racist society.   The term may sound 'very '90s' to some, but it is still relevant.  Your interpretation of his use of that phrase isn't necessarily the only one, nor is it necessarily what Fuller meant.    It may be exactly what it sounds like, and not what one's own suspicions make it out to be.

And why don't we judge the work based on the output itself, and not on subjective interpretations of soundbites?   

I find it a little naive when people say we live in a post-racial, colorblind society.  I would not say that the terms are dated, but rather that we are not ready for them yet.  In the Star Trek universe, however, humanity truly is ready for them.  Star Trek's universe is colorblind and post-racial in the sense that anyone can accomplish anything regardless of race, gender, creed, or sexual orientation.  Star Trek celebrates all colors and walks of life.  I think this is what Fuller is getting at.

IMO, we (and I mean western culture in general) are nowhere near post-racial.

We should be by now (and many individuals are, I believe), but as a movement, racism (even in 'enlightened' western culture) is becoming increasingly loud and vociferous these days; particularly in the US and (sadly, it would seem) in the UK.

I wonder if new ST will address this new resurgence of backwardness in the 21st century (?)...

Here is another thematic avenue the new show could take: Brexit Rattles Postwar Order

What if the Federation is in decline in a similar way that the post-1945 Western Order (the US and EU) is in decline today, evidenced last week by Britain's decision to go it alone? For example, what if Vulcan decided to leave the Federation, a Vexit. 

Fans have talked before about resetting the franchise in a dystopian future where the Federation is crumbling, but those scenarios usually have to do with an all powerful enemy, like in the Dominion Wars, or a historical comparison to the fall of the Roman Empire, which is very Asimovian.

Instead, Im talking about a situation that parallels world history right now. Things are not that bad, but there is a widespread low level discontentment, a sense that our systems and institutions are not working for us, that our leaders are out of touch. No one knows what to do to fix this. We are casting out for heroes, and people like Trump and that Boris guy in London are the ones getting attention. What does the alternative look like? Might an intrepid crew of adventurers and explorers show the way?

This would all be hard to turn into compelling TV sci-fi drama. It would be a very political show--but TUC was a very political movie, and if CBS is using it as a template, I hope they choose social/political issues that speak to today's problems.   

Here is another thematic avenue the new show could take: Brexit Rattles Postwar Order

What if the Federation is in decline in a similar way that the post-1945 Western Order (the US and EU) is in decline today, evidenced last week by Britain's decision to go it alone? For example, what if Vulcan decided to leave the Federation, a Vexit. 

Fans have talked before about resetting the franchise in a dystopian future where the Federation is crumbling, but those scenarios usually have to do with an all powerful enemy, like in the Dominion Wars, or a historical comparison to the fall of the Roman Empire, which is very Asimovian.

Instead, Im talking about a situation that parallels world history right now. Things are not that bad, but there is a widespread low level discontentment, a sense that our systems and institutions are not working for us, that our leaders are out of touch. No one knows what to do to fix this. We are casting out for heroes, and people like Trump and that Boris guy in London are the ones getting attention. What does the alternative look like? Might an intrepid crew of adventurers and explorers show the way?

This would all be hard to turn into compelling TV sci-fi drama. It would be a very political show--but TUC was a very political movie, and if CBS is using it as a template, I hope they choose social/political issues that speak to today's problems.   

Vulcan leaving the Federation (or Coalition of Planets) was a scenario played out briefly in the ENT Romulan War books, and yes, it was an interesting scenario.   Would be very interesting to see an on-screen version of it.  

I don't know exactly what's on tap here. You sure they said prime universe?

Again, I wouldn't mind if it was in the Abrams-verse, assuming they can rectify a lot of the problems of that universe.

I don't know exactly what's on tap here. You sure they said prime universe?

Again, I wouldn't mind if it was in the Abrams-verse, assuming they can rectify a lot of the problems of that universe.

I don't think anyone has said that they've said it was Prime Universe for sure...but I will say CBS implied it heavily when they said that the official name for that universe if "The Kelvin Timeline" and that the movies take place within that timeline...and they are "Doing their own thing."  That doesn't mean the new show is guaranteed to be Prime Universe, but it seems quite implied that it will not be the same thing as the movies. 

You know, Star Trek online is making a crossover between both universes. What if they're planing on something like that for the show? I mean, Trwk isn't exactly new at this kind of universe crossing. Also, Fuller could please both classic fans and newer fans.

You know, Star Trek online is making a crossover between both universes. What if they're planing on something like that for the show? I mean, Trwk isn't exactly new at this kind of universe crossing. Also, Fuller could please both classic fans and newer fans.

I hope not, because it would subtly but overtime substantially alter the entire premise of Star Trek. Star Trek has--so far!--been about trekking through the stars, with one-off trips into different time periods and alternate universes. If Star Trek added the technology to jump time frames and realities like it jumps around the galaxy... I don't know, I think it would become harder to tell a coherent story arc. From episode to episode, jumping from one solar system to the next, and then from one reality to the next, and then from one time period to the next, I don't know what you get out of that from a storytellers perspective, other than have to do a crap ton of exposition scenes and technobabble. 

But this is the dilemma the franchise is in because of Bad Robot's decision to set the new films in an alternate timeline. All future versions of Trek will have to take a stand on where, when and what they are in relation to the two timelines (Prime and Kelvin).     

Edited by Justin Snead

I hope not, because it would subtly but overtime substantially alter the entire premise of Star Trek. Star Trek has--so far!--been about trekking through the stars, with one-off trips into different time periods and alternate universes. If Star Trek added the technology to jump time frames and realities like it jumps around the galaxy... I don't know, I think it would become harder to tell a coherent story arc. From episode to episode, jumping from one solar system to the next, and then from one reality to the next, and then from one time period to the next, I don't know what you get out of that from a storytellers perspective, other than have to do a crap ton of exposition scenes and technobabble. 

But this is the dilemma the franchise is in because of Bad Robot's decision to set the new films in an alternate timeline. All future versions of Trek will have to take a stand on where, when and what they are in relation to the two timelines (Prime and Kelvin).     

Or... a new timeline.  ;)

Any one of these is possible. Though I wouldn't really want a crossover in between the two universes - leave that to "Star Trek: Online." A third timeline is possible; we'll probably find out more when Comic Con comes around about it.

Any one of these is possible. Though I wouldn't really want a crossover in between the two universes - leave that to "Star Trek: Online." A third timeline is possible; we'll probably find out more when Comic Con comes around about it.

Comic book franchises don't have to deal with this because they just re-set themselves to get more in sync with the times. Trek first had to do this since 1979, and all it really required was motion-picture-ifying the TV show. Then with TNG it had to jump ahead 80 Star Trek years to account for the difference in audience sensibilities between 1969 and 1987.

Bad Robot, and Hollywood's need to reboot Kirk and crew, threw a wrench in the system. They had to make the classic 1701 acceptable for modern audiences, which required an alternate timeline. 

How CBS handles this question is anyone's guess. At this point Im agnostic--no pun intended-on their decision. But I don't think they can avoid staking a firm position. Unlike Batman and Superman, who can slough off their previous version like snake skin, Star Trek has never operated that way. 

Comic book franchises don't have to deal with this because they just re-set themselves to get more in sync with the times. Trek first had to do this since 1979, and all it really required was motion-picture-ifying the TV show. Then with TNG it had to jump ahead 80 Star Trek years to account for the difference in audience sensibilities between 1969 and 1987.

Bad Robot, and Hollywood's need to reboot Kirk and crew, threw a wrench in the system. They had to make the classic 1701 acceptable for modern audiences, which required an alternate timeline. 

How CBS handles this question is anyone's guess. At this point Im agnostic--no pun intended-on their decision. But I don't think they can avoid staking a firm position. Unlike Batman and Superman, who can slough off their previous version like snake skin, Star Trek has never operated that way. 

It does now

It does now

And it was inevitable when dealing with a franchise that never stops grwing and has no fixed plot. 

And yet has memorable characters that we all know and love.

It does now

And it was inevitable when dealing with a franchise that never stops grwing and has no fixed plot. 

And yet has memorable characters that we all know and love.

ST isn't a fixed, immutable thing that exists in a timeless vacuum.   It evolves and changes to fit the times.  Alternate timelines didn't 'ruin' Star Trek... they only allow for more storytelling freedom, that's all.  

And ST09 wasn't the first time it was done in canon; TNG's "Parallels" is one example.   IMO, the entire run of ENT was another...

“Disclaimer: Everything said represents only the personal views, bad tastes, and deficiency in moral fiber of the poster, it is not aimed at anyone in particular, and it is not to be taken seriously. The poster has a death sentence in several universes, traded her illusions for two bottles of kanar many years ago, and still considers it a good deal. Any semblance with here existing sentiments is purely coincidental and in fact a real miracle.”

I don’t think that CBS will make extensive use of plot elements from the Kelvin timeline because it is all about copyright but I guess they will try to stay closer to the movies in terms of vision at least. The new series might be more action-packed than the usual TV ST. They are directed towards the TV audience which comprises mainly old fans who are quite disappointed with JJ Abrams’ reboots so it seems to me that they will come up with their own story set in the PU. They might refer to Kelvin timeline as an alternative timeline caused by a space-time disruption in order to placate the NU Trek fans but I don’t expect constant jumps between both universes. If they need an episode based on parallel universes, they will probably create their own.

The Vulcans leaving the Federation – now this is an idea. Too bad, it was already part of the Singer’s dismissed project. I don’t think they will revive it. In fact, Fuller has always liked TOS and he wants a funny and adventurous Trek, not a grim and too existentially laden one.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-trek/feature/a783107/heres-what-star-treks-new-tv-series-could-look-like-with-bryan-fuller-at-the-helm/

http://trekmovie.com/2011/04/16/exclusive-details-excerpts-from-star-trek-federation-series-proposal/

Funny / adventurous Trek - I do agree they shouldn't go too grim. I know Ron Moore actually wanted to make Trek more like BSG with the Dominion winning and all, although as good as some DS9 was, that would be going too far. But ST09 and STID had too much fridge horror that was glossed over. The loss of Vulcan would be a severe loss to the Federation and one that would take years, if not decades to recover from, not to mention regime shifts and such (this was partly explored in ST:ID), not to mention things getting even more worse with a good portion of San Francisco.

The Kelvin timeline does have a number of possibilities. STID explored this some, as troubled a movie that it was, but I doubt the Federation could just shrug off the loss of Vulcan. I can imagine it sent ripples throughout, and a number of possibilities could arise, both good and bad. Though there are events that are going to happen no matter what in that timeline, such as V'Ger, the whale probe, etc. etc. etc. We'll just have to see what happens.

“Disclaimer: Everything said represents only the personal views, bad tastes, and deficiency in moral fiber of the poster, it is not aimed at anyone in particular, and it is not to be taken seriously. The poster has a death sentence in several universes, traded her illusions for two bottles of kanar many years ago, and still considers it a good deal. Any semblance with here existing sentiments is purely coincidental and in fact a real miracle.”

I don’t think that CBS will make extensive use of plot elements from the Kelvin timeline because it is all about copyright but I guess they will try to stay closer to the movies in terms of vision at least. The new series might be more action-packed than the usual TV ST. They are directed towards the TV audience which comprises mainly old fans who are quite disappointed with JJ Abrams’ reboots so it seems to me that they will come up with their own story set in the PU. They might refer to Kelvin timeline as an alternative timeline caused by a space-time disruption in order to placate the NU Trek fans but I don’t expect constant jumps between both universes. If they need an episode based on parallel universes, they will probably create their own.

The Vulcans leaving the Federation – now this is an idea. Too bad, it was already part of the Singer’s dismissed project. I don’t think they will revive it. In fact, Fuller has always liked TOS and he wants a funny and adventurous Trek, not a grim and too existentially laden one.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-trek/feature/a783107/heres-what-star-treks-new-tv-series-could-look-like-with-bryan-fuller-at-the-helm/

http://trekmovie.com/2011/04/16/exclusive-details-excerpts-from-star-trek-federation-series-proposal/

How much do we know about what CBS trek can and cannot appropriate from Bad Robot Trek? I remember during DS9's run they couldn't do things like show the Enterprise E, but they were able to mentioned events seen in the films. 

As for the type of show Fuller wants, I've heard him espouse the funny and adventurous spirit of TOS. But we also have that quote from Meyer about TUC being a jumping off point, which to me means it will have a major political thread. TUC wasn't at all grim either. It had plenty of funny and adventurous moments. (Bad Robot Trek has wanted to recapture that aspect of TOS also, but is limited by the grim apocalyptic stakes that summer blockbusters apparently must have).    

How much do we know about what CBS trek can and cannot appropriate from Bad Robot Trek? I remember during DS9's run they couldn't do things like show the Enterprise E, but they were able to mentioned events seen in the films. 

As for the type of show Fuller wants, I've heard him espouse the funny and adventurous spirit of TOS. But we also have that quote from Meyer about TUC being a jumping off point, which to me means it will have a major political thread. TUC wasn't at all grim either. It had plenty of funny and adventurous moments. (Bad Robot Trek has wanted to recapture that aspect of TOS also, but is limited by the grim apocalyptic stakes that summer blockbusters apparently must have).    

Well, "Star Trek: Online" will be visiting the "Bad Robot Trek" Kelvin Timeline, so I could imagine there could be material that could be appropriated from that. The extent? I'm not sure. Keep in mind Alex Kurtzman is one of the executive producers, so that might be a factor there.

As with what Justin Snead wrote, yeah I agree - "grim apocalyptic stakes" is pretty much a requirement of every summer blockbuster. While Earth doesn't look like it's threatened directly Beyond, there's some of that. The smaller screen - especially in UHD is even better than big screen stuff in some cases, as many indicate, is a better medium for Trek, as many fans can attest to.

They could easily set it within the Kelvin Timeline without too much problem, perhaps set it sometime after "Star Trek: Beyond" and the other sequels of this reboot franchise (should they make them).

Meyer does not like JJ Abrams’ reboots so he is the last person to push for anything similar. I have always liked his more militaristic and political take on the Federation. The question is whether Meyer will be allowed to have a say or he will be just an honorary presence and a consultant. It is true that he considers TUC a starting point but I don’t know whether Kurtzman and Fuller see it that way. Fuller is the showrunner after all. There have always been writers who press for more RL allusions and those who want a sheer star exploration and avoidance of potentially sensitive topics.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3854222

In an interview for Den of Geek Meyer says, “If I’m lucky, I’ll get to write episodes. If I’m less lucky, I’ll just get to sit in that room with all those other clever people.”

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-trek/253329/exclusive-nicholas-meyer-says-new-star-trek-series-is-innovative-and-different

The problem with geopolitical Star Trek is that it requires several big powers with clashing interests. However, 13 episodes per season with multiple crews do not allow for such a kaleidoscopic view of the universe and its players – the new show might be centered round the current crew and its ship, they will manage a micro-crisis but we won’t get anything similar to a Dominion War or a Borg Invasion. The baddies will be probably a mad scientist, a revengeful renegade, a Klingon or another alien on a personal jihad, a corrupted admiral, a section 31 scheme but nothing bigger or better motivated.    

In this sense, creating “grim apocalyptic stakes” in an action format is much easier than developing a geopolitical conflict involving several major powers and presenting their agendas. TUC crowned the build-up of the Klingon-Federation relations that were explored copiously in TOS and in the previous movies.

In First Contact, we saw Defiant but nothing else from DS9, in Insurrection, the Dominion War was mentioned and that was all. The Son’a were briefly mentioned in one episode of DS9 too. Generally, movies have always stayed away from the developments in the series, they focus on one particular story. I don’t think that this show will go deeper into the movies’ territory. The new show might have such references too but they have not said that it will be set in the Kelvin timeline. The financial interests of Paramount, Bad Robot and CBS and other transitional right holders are very conflicting and tightly interwoven and now, after the split in 2006, they will hardly become more cooperative. It is pretty complicated.

http://screencrush.com/star-trek-tv-rights-return/

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/140088/20160310/the-new-star-trek-tv-show-cant-air-until-six-months-after-star-trek-beyond.htm

I do like the approach that Meyer takes too, although he will undoubtedly have clashes with Fuller and Kurtzman beyond the shadow of a doubt. However, I do think that Meyer should have a say in things.

I remember what they said in the teaser: "new crews" - plural. Multiple starship crews and multiple ships, etc.? Makes me wonder.

We're still in the dark about how this new series is going to be, only knowing the people behind it. Time will tell.

Someone pinch me.  I seriously haven't heard anything that troubles me.

At least about FullerTrek. 

I'm more optimistic about FullerTrek than I am about the next Bad Robot movie; and that's not necessarily meant as a slam to BR ST.  

The BR ST movies are meant to appeal to a mass audience, and I accept that.  But seeing the level hand-picked talent assembled for FullerTrek so far?  It's like they're aiming this production almost squarely at the fans. 

I'm more optimistic about FullerTrek than I am about the next Bad Robot movie; and that's not necessarily meant as a slam to BR ST.  

The BR ST movies are meant to appeal to a mass audience, and I accept that.  But seeing the level hand-picked talent assembled for FullerTrek so far?  It's like they're aiming this production almost squarely at the fans. 

After watching the first three episodes of "Hannibal", I have to say I'm even more intrigued about Fuller.

He's obviously not just progressive thinking, as his interviews suggest, but also has the vision of making smart tv. Not saying Hannibal is necessarily "intellectual", but it indeed has many rather "brainy" ideas and references. And he has an artistic vision galore. This in combination with "let's make a political allegory in Trek"-TUC-Meyer -- just wow.

I think even if they wanted, these two guys would be incapable of making dumbed down Trek, no matter how hard they tried.

After watching the first three episodes of "Hannibal", I have to say I'm even more intrigued about Fuller.

He's obviously not just progressive thinking, as his interviews suggest, but also has the vision of making smart tv. Not saying Hannibal is necessarily "intellectual", but it indeed has many rather "brainy" ideas and references. And he has an artistic vision galore. This in combination with "let's make a political allegory in Trek"-TUC-Meyer -- just wow.

I think even if they wanted, these two guys would be incapable of making dumbed down Trek, no matter how hard they tried.

Let's not jump to conclusions on that.

There's a lot to be said about the Kelvin Timeline, should the series be set in it. I can't imagine the Federation would shrug off the loss of Vulcan just like that, not to mention what happened with San Francisco in ST:ID. There's going to be paranoia, there's going to be chaos, etc. I know one idea I had in mind was that the loss of Vulcan sent the Federation into such disarray that John Gil (the "Patterns of Force" historian) suggests imposing elements of Nazi Germany because as he said, "it was the most efficient regime the Earth ever knew," and Spock agreed with what he said. Though that might be a rip from B5 which had a similar element in regards to EarthForce where the president was slowly turning the Earth Alliance to a version of this.

There's a lot to be said about the Kelvin Timeline, should the series be set in it. I can't imagine the Federation would shrug off the loss of Vulcan just like that, not to mention what happened with San Francisco in ST:ID. There's going to be paranoia, there's going to be chaos, etc. I know one idea I had in mind was that the loss of Vulcan sent the Federation into such disarray that John Gil (the "Patterns of Force" historian) suggests imposing elements of Nazi Germany because as he said, "it was the most efficient regime the Earth ever knew," and Spock agreed with what he said. Though that might be a rip from B5 which had a similar element in regards to EarthForce where the president was slowly turning the Earth Alliance to a version of this.

Uhm... have I missed something here? What makes you think even the possibility exists that the new show will be set in the Kelvin Timeline?! There are many reasons that point into the direction that it will be set anywhere but in that timeline, both behind the scenes (not least the competition between Paramount and CBS) and for on-screen reasons?

And even if it was set in that timeline, what do your wild speculations have in the slightest to do with the talent of the involved producers I mentioned? And how is what you describe anyhow related to "dumbed down Trek"?!

Or do you know something I don't know, some insider information?

Not jumping to conclusions indeed. :P

Edited by Sim

Uhm... have I missed something here? What makes you think even the possibility exists that the new show will be set in the Kelvin Timeline?! There are many reasons that point into the direction that it will be set anywhere but in that timeline, both behind the scenes (not least the competition between Paramount and CBS) and for on-screen reasons?

And even if it was set in that timeline, what do your wild speculations have in the slightest to do with the talent of the involved producers I mentioned? And how is what you describe anyhow related to "dumbed down Trek"?!

I really am sorry about saying this - I was commenting about what if it WAS set in the Kelvin Timeline. I don't know anything for a fact here, and I apologize if my wording threw many people off.

I really am sorry about saying this - I was commenting about what if it WAS set in the Kelvin Timeline. I don't know anything for a fact here, and I apologize if my wording threw many people off.

No worries.

Jumping to conclusions can be good exercise... :P

No worries, and sorry if I sounded rude... it's just that I couldn't see how your statements were anyhow connected to the things I said you addressed.