Anime Trekker

What's Your Neurodiversity Score?

I had trouble with those questions too (I'm not interested in dating at all), especially the one that asked about "the opposite sex". I was like "umm thanks but I'm not very interested in the OPPOSITE sex in the first place when it comes to this whole thing, what is this heteronormativity doing here".

^
I thought it should've been rephrased as 'the gender you are attracted to' which would be 
more specific. 

Exactly. With the way it was phrased I sat there and thought "okay so now this is a test for straight people only? Much bad, very phrase, such hetero, wow"

I had trouble with those questions too (I'm not interested in dating at all), especially the one that asked about "the opposite sex". I was like "umm thanks but I'm not very interested in the OPPOSITE sex in the first place when it comes to this whole thing, what is this heteronormativity doing here".

^
I thought it should've been rephrased as 'the gender you are attracted to' which would be 
more specific. 

Exactly. With the way it was phrased I sat there and thought "okay so now this is a test for straight people only? Much bad, very phrase, such hetero, wow"

I was also a bit surprised that it made no allowances for married people, or people in committed relationships.  It seemed more geared toward single twenty-somethings.

I need to see if there's a 'boring old fart' edition somewhere... :laugh:

^
more specific. 

I was also a bit surprised that it made no allowances for married people, or people in committed relationships.  It seemed more geared toward single twenty-somethings.

I need to see if there's a 'boring old fart' edition somewhere... :laugh:

It also didn't have "married to fictional character" options... sheesh. Why does no one ever notice us fictosexuals/fictoromantics? (Yes, there is actually a term for it these days, I'm happy to report.)

But then, given the fact that most people figure out at a young-ish age that they don't belong into the "neurotypical" section of things, the whole "early 20s" target audience seems logical to me.

I'm not even gonna try it out. Don't want to be reminded of my inability to socialize. And let's be honest Mr. Picard, who hasn't fallen in love with a fictional character during his life? I certainly did. Still do actually. Truth is in today's world people are getting so egocentric that it's hard to make good friends even when you're open and kind. One word about religion or politics and most people will throw you away for having different opinions. 

Haven't found a good person to have a relationship ship with so far. Won't get passed first two phrases, people are so damn crazy and unacceptable these days. If you never watched gane of thrones ( like I haven't ) you're considered stone age and uncultured. 

And I'm close to my 20s, so you would guess this is the part of life where you get to have most friends and relationships. Unfortunately, not true.

I consider any Trek character closer to me than most people I've meet. At least them will ( or would be ) trustful, honest, kind, acceptive people. 

I'm not even gonna try it out. Don't want to be reminded of my inability to socialize. And let's be honest Mr. Picard, who hasn't fallen in love with a fictional character during his life? I certainly did. Still do actually. Truth is in today's world people are getting so egocentric that it's hard to make good friends even when you're open and kind. One word about religion or politics and most people will throw you away for having different opinions. 

Haven't found a good person to have a relationship ship with so far. Won't get passed first two phrases, people are so damn crazy and unacceptable these days. If you never watched gane of thrones ( like I haven't ) you're considered stone age and uncultured. 

And I'm close to my 20s, so you would guess this is the part of life where you get to have most friends and relationships. Unfortunately, not true.

I consider any Trek character closer to me than most people I've meet. At least them will ( or would be ) trustful, honest, kind, acceptive people. 

I was 19, almost 20, when I fell in love with Jean-Luc, so, probably around the age that you are now, I can relate very much to what you are saying. It has been that way ever since. I don't look at any other men, and I don't WANT to, because I have HIM. No one in real life generally understands. It's not a casual crush or even an intense short little love affair in my mind or whatever. I'm 33 years old now, and according to society's norms, I should be "way past that phase where you fall for fictional characters". People my age usually have families of their own, or are at least in relationships. I am, too, but not in a conventional relationship. (I do love Jean-Luc in the same way other people love their significant other.) People don't take it seriously, usually, they misunderstand, they mock and they frown upon it, and this is one major reason why I just stay away from most people in real life these days. I am simply sick and tired of having to explain myself and to justify things to them (what is this, anyway, this whole 'high horse judging', if someone said to me "I love this character so much, I'm happy be with him/her/them" I'd be like "that's fine, yo, hello friend" instead of "oh my GOD WHY YOU CAN'T DO THAT ARE YOU CRAZY WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU wah wah wah" or, worse, that condescending "you'll find someone real" opinion that I used to get when I was younger, but not anymore now that I'm past 30 people seem to have "given up on me"). Add to that the fact that I'm bad at explaining things through talking, I can always barely even say Jean-Luc's name without grinning like some kind of particularly enthusiastic clown, it makes me very uncomfortable to talk about him and my feelings for him, I can't properly express this sort of thing, so, misunderstandings are common. I've had "friends" in real life who had absolutely NO idea just HOW much I really love Jean-Luc. For YEARS. Because I never told them, it didn't seem like anything they would ever understand, so I didn't bother.

And I can relate very much to considering Trek characters closer than anyone in real life, you aren't alone with that either. I consider TNG's season 2 crew to be my family. I've never really had much of a family I felt I belonged to, it was always two opposing sides at war, wherever I went (my grandparents refused to sit at the same table with the respective "other grandparents side"), and it's just so refreshing to watch a show with people who aren't blood relatives but are just as close to one another and are there for one another and help each other and who live in a mostly peaceful universe (this is one reason why TNG is my favorite series, it has the most peaceful approach, and I relish this, it's so relaxing) and who just... well, seem to CARE about each other, and not because they want to take advantage of someone, no, they care because they WANT to and because they LIKE one another a lot. I love that about Star Trek in general, and I do believe that THIS is a thing that a LOT of other Trek fans understand QUITE well, too. I think there's a scene in Futurama where Fry mentions something like that - that Trek (in his case, TOS) made him think he actually had friends when he really had none in real life. That really resonates with me.

And I've never cared for Game Of Thrones either, by the way. You're not alone with THAT either. :)  Never seen it, never been interested in even checking it out. And when I'm not interested in checking something out, I generally stay away from it completely, haha.

Game of what???

That's four of us... :laugh:

My wife watches it, but I tend to go to the next room when it's on or quietly surf with my laptop. 

Sim   

Game of what???

That's four of us... :laugh:

My wife watches it, but I tend to go to the next room when it's on or quietly surf with my laptop. 

My wife and I have watched the first season so far... it's not bad IMO, but I don't quite understand the hype about it.

maneth   

I was 19, almost 20, when I fell in love with Jean-Luc, so, probably around the age that you are now, I can relate very much to what you are saying. It has been that way ever since. I don't look at any other men, and I don't WANT to, because I have HIM. No one in real life generally understands. It's not a casual crush or even an intense short little love affair in my mind or whatever. I'm 33 years old now, and according to society's norms, I should be "way past that phase where you fall for fictional characters". People my age usually have families of their own, or are at least in relationships. I am, too, but not in a conventional relationship. (I do love Jean-Luc in the same way other people love their significant other.) People don't take it seriously, usually, they misunderstand, they mock and they frown upon it, and this is one major reason why I just stay away from most people in real life these days. I am simply sick and tired of having to explain myself and to justify things to them (what is this, anyway, this whole 'high horse judging', if someone said to me "I love this character so much, I'm happy be with him/her/them" I'd be like "that's fine, yo, hello friend" instead of "oh my GOD WHY YOU CAN'T DO THAT ARE YOU CRAZY WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU wah wah wah" or, worse, that condescending "you'll find someone real" opinion that I used to get when I was younger, but not anymore now that I'm past 30 people seem to have "given up on me"). Add to that the fact that I'm bad at explaining things through talking, I can always barely even say Jean-Luc's name without grinning like some kind of particularly enthusiastic clown, it makes me very uncomfortable to talk about him and my feelings for him, I can't properly express this sort of thing, so, misunderstandings are common. I've had "friends" in real life who had absolutely NO idea just HOW much I really love Jean-Luc. For YEARS. Because I never told them, it didn't seem like anything they would ever understand, so I didn't bother.

And I can relate very much to considering Trek characters closer than anyone in real life, you aren't alone with that either. I consider TNG's season 2 crew to be my family. I've never really had much of a family I felt I belonged to, it was always two opposing sides at war, wherever I went (my grandparents refused to sit at the same table with the respective "other grandparents side"), and it's just so refreshing to watch a show with people who aren't blood relatives but are just as close to one another and are there for one another and help each other and who live in a mostly peaceful universe (this is one reason why TNG is my favorite series, it has the most peaceful approach, and I relish this, it's so relaxing) and who just... well, seem to CARE about each other, and not because they want to take advantage of someone, no, they care because they WANT to and because they LIKE one another a lot. I love that about Star Trek in general, and I do believe that THIS is a thing that a LOT of other Trek fans understand QUITE well, too. I think there's a scene in Futurama where Fry mentions something like that - that Trek (in his case, TOS) made him think he actually had friends when he really had none in real life. That really resonates with me.

And I've never cared for Game Of Thrones either, by the way. You're not alone with THAT either. :)  Never seen it, never been interested in even checking it out. And when I'm not interested in checking something out, I generally stay away from it completely, haha.

Well, you're very articulate in writing. You're a unique person. A bit unusual certainly, but not weird (or worse, insane, as no doubt some people would label people like yourself). I guess that for most people, having a crush on a celebrity or a fictional character is "just a phase", but for you it isn't. And yes, I'm very well aware of the difference between a fictional character and the actor playing that character, as I've had crushes on both. I still have crushes on characters but I haven't hand one on an actor for a long time, probably because I'm happily married.

I haven't seen GoT either, and I'm not very keen on doing so to be honest. Mainly because violent sex doesn't turn me on, either watching or experiencing it.

That makes five. I never expected to be so well received lol. Makes me fell better to known I'm not the only one not interested. Thought it does seems like it on the daily life. I

People say I have some prejudice with other style of movies. I don't care. I proudly admit it. I have no interest in watching violence, rape, pain and gore. I think the world has enough of it right now. People seem to be starting to think violence without any cause or reason is cool for some awkward reason. It seems just cruel to make fun of situations like that. I mean, even today there are places where violence and rape are constant. It's not the material to have fun with. 

Well, you're very articulate in writing. You're a unique person. A bit unusual certainly, but not weird (or worse, insane, as no doubt some people would label people like yourself). I guess that for most people, having a crush on a celebrity or a fictional character is "just a phase", but for you it isn't. And yes, I'm very well aware of the difference between a fictional character and the actor playing that character, as I've had crushes on both. I still have crushes on characters but I haven't hand one on an actor for a long time, probably because I'm happily married.

I haven't seen GoT either, and I'm not very keen on doing so to be honest. Mainly because violent sex doesn't turn me on, either watching or experiencing it.

I always think it would be 'easier' if I liked Sir Patrick in THAT way. (I do love him, yes, but not like THAT.) People would find this a lot easier to process because he at least is "real". But he isn't my type at all relationship-style-wise (EEEEEK NO), and he and Jean-Luc are as different as day and night in most regards. He's a completely different and separate person, a special one, granted, but still very much separate - especially these days, he hardly even remembers most of the episodes. People don't seem to get that though - I have to explain (in written form, of course) to at least one person every week that I do NOT want Sir Patrick, that he and Jean-Luc are NOT the same. It's aggravating, to say the least. I'm always so glad when I run into someone who gets it right from the start that "JLP" does NOT equal "SPS". (People who get this are indeed mostly those who have crushes on both actors and characters, but separately and for different reasons.)

And thanks for your words. They mean a lot. I know I'm strange/different, but, as Tam Elbrun puts it, being different is "not a sin, you know... though you may have heard otherwise". And yes, I've heard the term "insane" used to describe me. Many times. I always say "I may be SURROUNDED by insanity, but I am NOT insane." (another relatable episode, there we go)

And... I'll add a sixth person who doesn't care much for Game Of Thrones: Sir Patrick. So we are all in good company here. :) 

I always think it would be 'easier' if I liked Sir Patrick in THAT way. (I do love him, yes, but not like THAT.) People would find this a lot easier to process because he at least is "real". But he isn't my type at all relationship-style-wise (EEEEEK NO), and he and Jean-Luc are as different as day and night in most regards. He's a completely different and separate person, a special one, granted, but still very much separate - especially these days, he hardly even remembers most of the episodes. People don't seem to get that though - I have to explain (in written form, of course) to at least one person every week that I do NOT want Sir Patrick, that he and Jean-Luc are NOT the same. It's aggravating, to say the least. I'm always so glad when I run into someone who gets it right from the start that "JLP" does NOT equal "SPS". (People who get this are indeed mostly those who have crushes on both actors and characters, but separately and for different reasons.)

And thanks for your words. They mean a lot. I know I'm strange/different, but, as Tam Elbrun puts it, being different is "not a sin, you know... though you may have heard otherwise". And yes, I've heard the term "insane" used to describe me. Many times. I always say "I may be SURROUNDED by insanity, but I am NOT insane." (another relatable episode, there we go)

And... I'll add a sixth person who doesn't care much for Game Of Thrones: Sir Patrick. So we are all in good company here. :) 

You're not 'strange/different'; you are uniquely YOU.  :)

I, for one, would be horrified to wake up in a world where everyone was exactly the same; we'd be little better than sardines packed in a can, or bees in a hive.

Sim   

Mr. Picard, I don't see anything weird about you either. There are much weirder things "normal" people do, things that make much less sense. Like, staying in an unhappy or even abusive "real" relationship. Or having a "real" family which doesn't have any warmth or love, just duty and material considerations, and meeting other people's expectations.

Oftentimes, the people the mainstream considers "weird" are just self-aware enough to know what they want and don't want, and living by it without caring what other people think or expect from them. People who know what makes them happy and live by it, because they know we all only have one life, and when we don't live it in a way that makes us happy, it would be wasted.

So yeah, you listen to your heart and do what you know is true to who you are. Good for you. Many "normal" people don't have so much wisdom.

Mr. Picard, I don't see anything weird about you either. There are much weirder things "normal" people do, things that make much less sense. Like, staying in an unhappy or even abusive "real" relationship. Or having a "real" family which doesn't have any warmth or love, just duty and material considerations, and meeting other people's expectations.

Oftentimes, the people the mainstream considers "weird" are just self-aware enough to know what they want and don't want, and living by it without caring what other people think or expect from them. People who know what makes them happy and live by it, because they know we all only have one life, and when we don't live it in a way that makes us happy, it would be wasted.

So yeah, you listen to your heart and do what you know is true to who you are. Good for you. Many "normal" people don't have so much wisdom.

Thank you, Sim. I am well aware of who I want indeed, and I'm not letting society tell me that my love is any less valid just because it isn't directed towards someone who is physically present/real. Jean-Luc is very present for me emotionally, and that's what counts.  

I might have problems in real life with emotional things and in social situations, but aside from that I'm actually still a fairly normal-ish person. I read books/newspapers, I write fan fic, I watch DVDs/Blu Rays, I go to work - I certainly don't run around pretending I'm on the Enterprise-E. I WISH I was and could be, and I look up at the sky a lot and wish she or her captain's yacht would come through the clouds with a certain someone aboard, but then, a lot Trek fans do this, it's not unusual. What is unusual is simply that I love the fictional captain of a fictional starship. Big deal. Not. ;) 

A more general thought, btw: The whole "neurodivergent" idea is to actually let people be different. To try and understand them instead of forcing them into being "normal" and to stop trying to pressure them into being what society wants them to be. To let them be what THEY want to be. To listen to THEM and not automatically assume that they all desperately want to be "normal".

I see a lot of weird things in me, put I'm proud of them all. :P Especially when the world is so standardize  like it is today. People all seem like copies of one another. I'm sure glad I haven't been assimilated yet. No way people are going to take my biological and technological distinctiveness and add to their own. 

I see a lot of weird things in me, put I'm proud of them all. :P Especially when the world is so standardize  like it is today. People all seem like copies of one another. I'm sure glad I haven't been assimilated yet. No way people are going to take my biological and technological distinctiveness and add to their own. 

You tell 'em, Garak! ;)

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=70446375

I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A FREE MAN !!!

mcgoohan.jpg

^
One of my favorite shows EVER!

I have the giant orange A&E DVD box set (complete with a map of The Village).   Be seeing you! ;)

Sim   

I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A FREE MAN !!!

mcgoohan.jpg

^
One of my favorite shows EVER!

I have the giant orange A&E DVD box set (complete with a map of The Village).   Be seeing you! ;)

I got a simple DVD set and only watched the show once, 6 years ago. Now I feel I should rewatch it soon... :)

Sim   

Yeah, I've got a somewhat unusual curriculum vitae, due to a period of mental problems. I was never violent, I was never anti-social, I was never sociopathic. I never harmed anyone. Yet there are people who meet me with suspicion -- not even knowing of my problems, just based on my curriculum --, or with prejudice or even rejection. Out of a weird sense of confirmist "normalonormativism".

And people wonder why I need religion ... I need religion to love my enemies and forgive them. Because I alone could never do that. If it wasn't for my faith, I'd swear deadly revenge on them if the revolution ever broke out. :P

Sim   

A more general thought, btw: The whole "neurodivergent" idea is to actually let people be different. To try and understand them instead of forcing them into being "normal" and to stop trying to pressure them into being what society wants them to be. To let them be what THEY want to be. To listen to THEM and not automatically assume that they all desperately want to be "normal".

While I appreciate this approach when it comes to Asperger or perhaps some other neurodivergent conditions, I can just say I'm very cautious of anti-medical views when it comes to a condition I'm more familiar with, schizophrenic conditions.

I had a psychosis 11 years ago that would have been classified as schizophrenia, had it lasted longer than just 4 weeks. And I can say, no, people affected with it are not just "different", but indeed ill. Because that condition does not make it possible to be happy with it. It's basically like a very, very bad LSD trip (I never did LSD, but read enough about it to have an idea). In the four weeks I was affected, I suffered the worst fears and pains in my entire life.

Of course it is most important that affected people are treated with utmost respect for their humaneness, but still they do need help and support. They are in hell, and ripping someone out of hell is an act of mercy, even when it goes against the ideas a person considers his "will" in a given moment. If it is possible to get people out of it. But being robbed of all your mental capacities is not a kind of "freedom". It's hell.

So the focus in these cases IMO shouldn't be a false sense of tolerance for the "difference" of afflicted people, but humane and loving help and treatment.

Sim   

Here is another interesting test that gives hints towards all kinds of common personality disorders:

http://www.4degreez.com/misc/personality_disorder_test.mv

My result:

Paranoid:

High
more info | forum
Schizoid:

Low
more info | forum
Schizotypal:

Low
more info | forum
Antisocial:

Moderate
more info | forum
Borderline:

Low
more info | forum
Histrionic:

Low
more info | forum
Narcissistic:

Low
more info | forum
Avoidant:

High
more info | forum
Dependent:

Moderate
more info | forum
Obsessive-Compulsive:

Low

more info | forum

What's weird is that I took this test years ago, yet scored totally different results. :/

And obsessive-compulsive is "low" for me? I don't believe that. :P Some questions were not well worded or too obvious, like "do you engage in obsessive-compulsive behavior"? I think I accidentally clicked "no" here.

Edited by Sim