Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John32070

The women who could have been Janeway

30 posts in this topic

I just had to chuckle at the studio's idea of "not hiring someone who is an unknown"... I seem to remember a certain "unknown British Shakespearean actor" who did a fairly good job as a starship captain. ;)

Not sure if Susan Gibney would have worked out, though... unless, of course, they had had "Captain Leah Brahms" (difficult since Brahms wasn't even in Starfleet). On the other hand, they also created Tom Paris and refused to ever even mention that he looked a LOT like a certain Nick Locarno...

They couldn't use Nick Locarno again because they would have had to pay royalties to the writer of the TNG episode. I think it's pretty clear who Tom Paris really is.

I just had to chuckle at the studio's idea of "not hiring someone who is an unknown"... I seem to remember a certain "unknown British Shakespearean actor" who did a fairly good job as a starship captain. ;)

Not sure if Susan Gibney would have worked out, though... unless, of course, they had had "Captain Leah Brahms" (difficult since Brahms wasn't even in Starfleet). On the other hand, they also created Tom Paris and refused to ever even mention that he looked a LOT like a certain Nick Locarno...

They couldn't use Nick Locarno again because they would have had to pay royalties to the writer of the TNG episode. I think it's pretty clear who Tom Paris really is.

It's the same reason Data said no one had ever encountered an apparently "null" hole in space in "Where Silence Has Lease." Had they mentioned "The Immunity Syndrome" they'd have had to pay for it. 

It's the same reason Data said no one had ever encountered an apparently "null" hole in space in "Where Silence Has Lease." Had they mentioned "The Immunity Syndrome" they'd have had to pay for it. 

Was this the same reason why Lore was never mentioned during "Nemesis"? It was an awful film overall (it ranks up there with The Motion Picture as my least favorite of the films) but if they had dropped Lore's name at least once during the film it would have at least salvaged a little bit of it for me. 

I always thought Naomi Watts would be great in the role of Janeway but I think she may have been a bit young at the time in the mid-90s. 

Was this the same reason why Lore was never mentioned during "Nemesis"? 

Quite probably. 

And I think Watts could've done a good job with the role, painfully inconsistent writing notwithstanding.

Edited by prometheus59650

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0