CaptPapa

Anton Yelchin Dies

Hammer   

I think it would be easier on both fans and the cast of JJ Trek to have Chekov shipped off somewhere else, why not bring in a woman so Zoe isn't all alone with all those guys?

Maybe not the best example because Nimoy passed during production, but how would you feel about it if in Star Trek Beyond and future movies characters refer to Elder Spock being somewhere off-screen rather than acknowledging his passing?

Elder Spock really is a minor character in these movies, a framing device, so replacing him isn't necessary. If Chekov is written off, it would be acknowledging that he's a minor character too. There's no reason to explain in-universe why Chekov looks different. Let the audience suspend disbelief and move on. Would writing the character off have been what Yelchin would have wanted? I have my doubts...

I think it would be easier on both fans and the cast of JJ Trek to have Chekov shipped off somewhere else, why not bring in a woman so Zoe isn't all alone with all those guys?

I hate to be so morbid (the actor has only been gone for a day) but I have to agree; recasting him just seems wildly disrespectful, even in a couple years.  Better to just bring a new (female) character to mitigate the bridge crew's sausage fest (Nu Saavik?).

scenario   

I wonder if there's any footage on the cutting room floor, where Anton can be in the next movie as a cameo. He's on another ship and dies heroically millions of lives.

I wonder if there's any footage on the cutting room floor, where Anton can be in the next movie as a cameo. He's on another ship and dies heroically millions of lives.

I dunno.   That still seems kinda morbid.  Like Ed Wood using footage of Bela Lugosi to make "Plan Nine From Outer Space."   Better to just write Chekov off of the movies, and leave it at that (assuming there IS a 4th movie... we still have to see how STB does at the box office).   Giving the character a big splashy heroic death onscreen is further shining a light on Yelchin's own tragic loss, I would think.

Better to have him 'live' offscreen, just as I imagine they'll do with Spock Prime.   That character can also still be alive offscreen, just as Leonard Nimoy's Spock lives on in our memories.  Some might see this as a reversal on my previous 'no resurrections' attitude in other threads, but it's not at all;  these characters never died onscreen, only their actors.    And recasting them would feel really tacky (or simply impossible, in Nimoy's case), so for me?  I think it's better to just imagine that they're still alive somewhere in this fictional universe somewhere...

scenario   

This is only a problem for a movie or two. If the series is successful and they want to make a new movie 5 or 10 years from now its going to be with a whole new crew. 

kenman   

I find talk about what happens with the movies if they continue to be a bit goofy at this stage, but if it were up to me...just write the character out as having been promoted and on another ship.  I see nothing wrong with that as a tribute of saying "he has gone on to a better place" or something, without having to deal with the unfortunate business of recasting Chekov is a classic character, but he isn't THAT important (in either universe)....so I see recasting him as pointless, when you could just get a new character written into the mix. 

maneth   

Yeah, I agree. Especially as Chekov got transferred in the Prime universe as well. I haven't seen TAS so I can't comment on his alien replacement there, but at least these days we have the means to make believable alien characters as a part of the crew. I mean characters who stand out more than a Vulcan, Klingon or even a Cardassian would.

kenman   

Yeah, I agree. Especially as Chekov got transferred in the Prime universe as well. I haven't seen TAS so I can't comment on his alien replacement there, but at least these days we have the means to make believable alien characters as a part of the crew. I mean characters who stand out more than a Vulcan, Klingon or even a Cardassian would.

I like TAS and Arex...but I really don't need that character brought back. But they can do whatever...but it just seems like if they continue...recasting seems tacky and pointless. It would just feel weird.  You'd have to find a new actor to step in with the rest of this cast that has been together and was friends with this guy. Why do that? Just an uncomfortable situation for a new guy coming in and the actors already present. I just don't see it as a worthwhile thing to do. 

What is unfortunate is I read an older interview with Yelchin where he expressed a bit of comfort in the idea that he is apart of this bigger world of Star Trek, that he can continually return to over the years. He had a long career ahead of him, even though he was acting since he was a kid...he was really just beginning to take off. He had the talent to really go places.  All ended due to an unexpected accident. 

As for the recast vs write-him-off debate, I think that right now emotions are raw and the idea of someone else playing the character has an 'icky' factor. I think that writing the character off sweeps it under the rug and I don't think that's fair to the character or what Yelchin did with it. Writing him off would be saying 'It's okay, he was a minor character anyway'. I think that 3 years from now, the fans will be more understanding of a recast. They don't need to explain in-universe why Chekov looks different. The vast majority of fans will be aware of Yelchin's passing. The fans will suspend disbelief in this circumstances.

I agree.  None of these actors are above recasting.  If anything, maybe they can figure out a way to write it in that this wasn't the same Chekov as the one played by Koenig.  The ages have never been right.  But even if they don't do that, the recasting route then should be basically a new actor, no explanation--like Darrin on Bewitched. 

It really is a shame.  This life was cut down for no apparent reason.  This isn't like a celeb that OD'd or did something stupid.  It was just a freak accident. 

As for the recast vs write-him-off debate, I think that right now emotions are raw and the idea of someone else playing the character has an 'icky' factor. I think that writing the character off sweeps it under the rug and I don't think that's fair to the character or what Yelchin did with it. Writing him off would be saying 'It's okay, he was a minor character anyway'. I think that 3 years from now, the fans will be more understanding of a recast. They don't need to explain in-universe why Chekov looks different. The vast majority of fans will be aware of Yelchin's passing. The fans will suspend disbelief in this circumstances.

I agree.  None of these actors are above recasting.  If anything, maybe they can figure out a way to write it in that this wasn't the same Chekov as the one played by Koenig.  The ages have never been right.  But even if they don't do that, the recasting route then should be basically a new actor, no explanation--like Darrin on Bewitched. 

It really is a shame.  This life was cut down for no apparent reason.  This isn't like a celeb that OD'd or did something stupid.  It was just a freak accident. 

An overdose isn't 'stupid'; it's tragic.  And I feel no less grief for someone who dies by accident or their own hand; in both cases, a life was cut short needlessly.   Suicide/overdose perhaps even more so, because that's a person who was (through their actions) practically screaming at the top of their lungs for help and never got it.  

People don't get into drugs just because its fun; there are many underlying causes.   Like alcoholism, it's a desperate form of self-medication.  The pressures of fame are intense and unlike anything most 'normal' people experience.   You live your life under a microscope and aren't allowed many of the flaws and mistakes that most of us make on a daily basis.   You go outside in the wrong clothes or a few pounds heavier and suddenly you're a loser and a pig all over the internet.  If you're having a bad day and are rude to a stranger, suddenly you're a 'd!ck' to the whole world.   You have to be 'on' all the time.   You trade your right to privacy and a normal life for your work, and all too often it's a faustian bargain (realized too late, in most cases).   A lot of once-'normal' people who become famous often fall into the trappings of fame.   They're not 'weaker' than the rest of us; they ARE us.   It's an all-too common side effect of fame.

And drug overdosing is not just a decadent 'sin' of the wealthy; a poor person can overdose on drugs just like a wealthy person can.   In either case, it's a loss of human potential.

Yes, Anton Yelchin's accidental death is a tragic loss; but no less tragic than Robin Williams' suicide or Heath Ledger's overdose.   They're all talented lives cut mercilessly short; one cause no more or less heartbreaking than another.  

maneth   

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Sehlat. I just hope that his very public death ensures that everyone who has a car that's subject to a recall complies immediately.

An overdose is not tragic.  Everyone knows drugs do terrible things to you and unless you are drugged against your will, which is almost never, you are responsible for what you put in your body. 

We're both entitled to opinions on the matter of course, but yes, this is much more tragic than Heath Ledger or Robin Williams.  There are people like Yelchin who had a lot to live for, and didn't do anything to themselves to die. 

An overdose is not tragic.  Everyone knows drugs do terrible things to you and unless you are drugged against your will, which is almost never, you are responsible for what you put in your body. 

Neither is someone who is mentally incapacitated.   And a lot of celebrities overdose on PRESCRIBED medication.

We're both entitled to opinions on the matter of course, but yes, this is much more tragic than Heath Ledger or Robin Williams.  

IN YOUR OPINION. 

Here's hoping it never happens to anyone you care about; but then maybe (just maybe) you might see the tragedy of it, or develop some empathy for it.

kenman   

We're both entitled to opinions on the matter of course, but yes, this is much more tragic than Heath Ledger or Robin Williams.  There are people like Yelchin who had a lot to live for, and didn't do anything to themselves to die. 

Honestly, this is just ridiculous.  I'd hate for you to learn the hard way how tragic that kind of death can be.  I sincerely hope you are forever ignorant of someone you love going through something and ending their life early like that.

Honestly, this is just ridiculous.  I'd hate for you to learn the hard way how tragic that kind of death can be.  I sincerely hope you are forever ignorant of someone you love going through something and ending their life early like that.

I wish I could have such an ignorance... 

Neither is someone who is mentally incapacitated.   And a lot of celebrities overdose on PRESCRIBED medication.

If they overdose on prescribed medication, they are not following the dosage on the prescription. 

IN YOUR OPINION. 

Here's hoping it never happens to anyone you care about; but then maybe (just maybe) you might see the tragedy of it, or develop some empathy for it.

Of course in my opinion.  And it has happened to people I cared about--at least on the suicide end--multiple times actually--once almost in front of me.  My empathy goes to the people they left behind. 

And no, I don't empathize with people who use drugs. 

Williams didn't do anything to himself either. He simply couldn't live with the fact that he was going to lose complete control of his mind and body.

And, if you have no sympathy for THAT, I don't know what to say to that.

Edited by prometheus59650

maneth   

No doubt there's a time and place to discuss whose death is deserving of our sympathy and whose isn't... But I don't think a memorial thread is the place to do that.

If they overdose on prescribed medication, they are not following the dosage on the prescription. 

IN YOUR OPINION. 

Of course in my opinion.  And it has happened to people I cared about--at least on the suicide end--multiple times actually--once almost in front of me.  My empathy goes to the people they left behind. 

And no, I don't empathize with people who use drugs. 

Incredible.

No doubt there's a time and place to discuss whose death is deserving of our sympathy and whose isn't... But I don't think a memorial thread is the place to do that.

Agreed.

Deal.

Just for clarity (for all) let's keep this thread about Anton Yelchin's untimely passing.   And yes (responding to Kenman's point), let's also shelve talk of recasting/replacing him for another thread, OK?   Feels tacky here. 

kc1966   

Just for clarity (for all) let's keep this thread about Anton Yelchin's untimely passing.   And yes (responding to Kenman's point), let's also shelve talk of recasting/replacing him for another thread, OK?   Feels tacky here. 

Agreed.  I deleted my comment in the recasting part of the discussion.

Thanks.  

I participated in that too, and I don't feel so great about it.

kc1966   

Thanks.  

I participated in that too, and I don't feel so great about it.

No problem.  I did take your suggestion and started another thread on the topic.  If you feel it is too soon for that, you can remove it entirely.

Edited by kc1966
typo